Ryan Jack

barcelonabear

I like jack but let’s face it he just isn’t the quality needed for that midfield anchor, that’s where the play begins, Answer this, would he even make it into Celtic’s match day squad if he played for them? would he have got a game in hibs midfield last season? My answer is no, so why is he apparently good enough for us

He’s good at what he does , I feel he’s the new whipping boy because the midfield is struggling.

He’s never been a forward thinking , box to box midfielder . He’s a good defensive midfielder though , just look back at our qualifiers in Europe this season he was exceptional in that role .

We need a couple of players in who can take the game to the opposition through the midfield .

Absolutely agree.

Likes of Jack, Coullibally, Holt etc as well are a team like Motherwells quality midfield.

27 years old, 4 caps for a rotten Scotland side and previously played for poor Aberdeen side.

Not his fault but we are not going to win much if anything with players of that level as our first choice midfielder.

IMO he’s a good option to have for the squad, he’s had some decent performances for us this season, he has composure on the ball and I think he’s a level headed, reliable player to have in the squad who would serve us well for 70-80% of our fixtures.

Jack is a decent player but isn’t the type who’s taking ball from centre halves and carrying it forward before splitting a defence. Think back to Barry Ferguson , Steve Davis etc. It’s not his game. We badly need a creative midfielder.

crab-picture-id472497550

see if you could mould the qualities of Ryan jack and Sean goss together then you possibly have the defensive midfielder we need haha

I like jack but let’s face it he just isn’t the quality needed for that midfield anchor, that’s where the play begins, Answer this, would he even make it into Celtic’s match day squad if he played for them? would he have got a game in hibs midfield last season? My answer is no, so why is he apparently good enough for us

Get your tin helmet on mate your not allowed to say that about RJ on here.

For what it’s worth, I agree 100% with you, jack along with the others we have in midfield are the reason we struggle to break stuffy teams down .

None of the midfield are of the quality that we need.

Outwith arfield the rest offer absolutely zero in attacking ability

He was the best of the 3 last night, Ejaria and Coulibaly were terrible especially the former. I don't know the answer in this squad but one of the has to to be willing to run beyond the striker and create space and we had none of that last night

Get your tin helmet on mate your not allowed to say that about RJ on here.

For what it’s worth, I agree 100% with you, jack along with the others we have in midfield are the reason we struggle to break stuffy teams down .
Do not get me wrong jack is decent but he’s the kind of player I’d be bringing on to help defend a tight lead in last ten mins, he’s not a rangers quality stating midfielder to me

Jack was our best midfielder last night. I want Rossiter to get a run out, any time I’ve seen him he’s been impressive. What’s the point in having a fit player that you’re scared to play, I understand limiting his games just now, but he has not had much of any play. If he gets another long term injury then we call it a day.

Jack was our best midfielder last night. I want Rossiter to get a run out, any time I’ve seen him he’s been impressive. What’s the point in having a fit player that you’re scared to play, I understand limiting his games just now, but he has not had much of any play. If he gets another long term injury then we call it a day.
I agree totally mate, someone in jack’s position should be controlling a game and dictating the game, some of his off the ball positioning is schoolboy

I agree he was the best of a bad lot in midfield last night but that's not saying much!
As for Rossiter, I just can't believe that he didn't get on the pitch last night considering the paucity of anyone in the midfield creating anything!

I agree he was the best of a bad lot in midfield last night but that's not saying much!
As for Rossiter, I just can't believe that he didn't get on the pitch last night considering the paucity of anyone in the midfield creating anything!
I know. He’d has it to cover every blade of grass and drag a result out for us. He was instrumental in the 5-5 game v Hivs at 3-0 down!

If we're to persist with Jack as our 'number 6' he needs better players in front of him to pass the ball to.

Jack's a limited player but Ejaria and Coulibaly are by far the bigger problem. We need 2 players in there who can beat a man, find the killer pass or score from long range. Ejaria and Coulibaly have been empty jerseys for too long.

Why would u compare one of our best players to anything that is that MOB!!! He would walk into any Manky Mob side, i think its harsh u compare any Rangers player to them, wrong sorry

I wouldn’t mind trying out Rossiter in Jacks position and putting McCrorie in for Ejaria/ Coulibaly.

You could be right m8,
The midfield has been off/on all season.
It's the packed defence we are struggling with. And when that happens the crowd come down on every player who then is scared to try a pass etc.
Like last night, glen was getting it because he didn't get past Logan. Same with Daniel on the other wing.
Pressure on the players is affecting their performances.
Just an opinion.

We’re struggling at the moment, too many players don’t respond or realise what the Jersey Meens, im an ex player, i cant stand what ive seen or am seeing, we need a leader, middle of park, say a Barry Ferguson, someone who commands a bit of respect but can organise when things go wrong, Big Shaggers my Captain but he cant influence further up park, we need a Fergie, Gattuso, Reyna n midfield

Tidy at what he does but id much prefer someone with ability to drive the midfield play forward more often. Limited ability and seems to lack the belief and talent required to be a Rangers title winning player. A very basic player but tidy at what he does, which is not enough.

For me it's not a case of him being labelled bollocks or Beckenbauer .

He has a place in certain games. In others we don't need what he offers. He is one dimensional .

His skillset is very effective, last night it wasn't what we needed.

Trying to be fairer than I was last night.

The responsibility of identifying when he is needed is not Jack's, it's the gaffers.

Good point Brother but we need to hold on to what we’ve got, improve cause we dont have that big transfer kitty

I couldn’t give a fck about Celtic and Hibs match day squad.

We need players like Jack to the dirty work for others.Needed a hand in midfield last night as Ejaria and Coulibaly were posted missing ,again.

We’re struggling at the moment, too many players don’t respond or realise what the Jersey Meens, im an ex player, i cant stand what ive seen or am seeing, we need a leader, middle of park, say a Barry Ferguson, someone who commands a bit of respect but can organise when things go wrong, Big Shaggers my Captain but he cant influence further up park, we need a Fergie, Gattuso, Reyna n midfield
Or a Steve Davis?
;)

Games like last night and previous when we are for forcing the game he doesn’t have the ability to pick a pass or unlock anything. He can tackle and gets around the pitch but that’s about it. Would play him over coulibally any day of the week though

He struggled last night, but he had no one in midfield working alongside him: Coulibaly and Ejaria were anonymous again.

He does his job well but is quickly becoming the whipping boy in here just a matter of weeks after some said he would be our player of the year.

Last night he never really done anything wrong. When he got the ball the players in front were static.

That said, we need to change the midfield as we are not dominant enough in there.

Games like last night and previous when we are for forcing the game he doesn’t have the ability to pick a pass or unlock anything. He can tackle and gets around the pitch but that’s about it. Would play him over coulibally any day of the week though
I dont think he is that great in a tackle, defo wouldnt be scared if i was an opposing player.
At the moment he is a disappointment.
There isnt enough quality in our team to win the league, we need 2 or 3 players that will walk into the team and be on the team sheet every week.

Absolutely agree.

Likes of Jack, Coullibally, Holt etc as well are a team like Motherwells quality midfield.

27 years old, 4 caps for a rotten Scotland side and previously played for poor Aberdeen side.

Not his fault but we are not going to win much if anything with players of that level as our first choice midfielder.
Yes, I feel he is overrated by many.

We only need 1 from him or
Coulibaly

They are both being hung out to dry a wee it IMO

Agreed playing 4-1-4-1 may see us get more out of Jack.

He would have more space to operate the DM role and more out ball options.

Imo, Ryan is a pretty decent DM, but he needs the space and a MF who want the ball.

Just now our MF is a bit crippled without Kent and Murphy, Middleton is not a full match option, he is an impact sub to use once Kent has run the defence ragged, imo.

The only time we should be using 2 DM'ers is against the scum, as they have a very aggressive MF. Every other team in Scotland sits in, so we need to hammer them into submission.

For me, we need to play a very high line against the majority of teams in the league.

2 CD'ers 10 yards inside our half and Jack between them in the center circle. Wingbacks up on the halfway line and the MF pushing hard and deep. Greegs on his 18 yard line.

Last edited:
Peoples opinions of Ryan Jack are a great barometer on what they actually know about the game of football

Absolutely.

How anyone can watch, or look back at last nights game and single out Jack from that midfield three as the biggest issue is utterly mindboggling.

Funny all these threads that creep up tend to mention the fact he came from the sheep vermin. Cant all be born on the copland road im afraid.

Talking of a Rangers player getting into the celtc squad :rolleyes:.....says it all.

Ryan Jack is an excellent player, but like many, is written off after a bad result.

I don't think we'll see his full potential until there is far better player's around him.

Spot on, MF'ers that want the ball, can stretch teams around the park, RJ is more than capable of delivering a ball accurately.

Ryan Jack, alongside Tav, has been arguably one of our best players this season behind shagger and Morelos.

Yet regularly we see threads portraying some kind of negative picture of the former two.

What do folk honestly expect of Jack? Seriously?

If it's eye of the needle passes, box to box runs and 10+ goals a season then you clearly have no idea what that position is all about.

Do I think we can do better? Absolutely we can but we're not really in a position to be splashing £3m+ on the midfielders of yesteryear, and Jack IMO would actually do very well with better players around him.

Jack’s getting flak because the rest of the midfield and wide attackers are creating fück all.

Jack’s job is to spoil play for the opposition and protect our CB’s.

How many times have our CB’s been exposed with the opposition coming right through the middle at them??? Hint: it’s not very often.... so that must mean that jack is doing the job asked of him.

What about the job that’s asked of Ejaria/Middleton/Grezda/Candeias (ie their job being creativity)?

Ryan Jack is an excellent player, but like many, is written off after a bad result.

I don't think we'll see his full potential until there is far better player's around him.
See if Ryan Jack is such an excellent player why was he at aberdeen to the age of 26 and only been capped 3 times in the worst scotland set up in decades?

Jack is perfect at breaking up play. He is not ideal when breaking down packed defences. McRorie has more pace . Our problem last night was Ejaria, then Coulibaly, then Jack.

Back up at best in a title winning team.

There were a few on here having a go when I claimed he never turns up in the big games, well there's another to add to the collection.

The gaffer rates him.

That should be all we need to know.

I know people think, 'It's all about opinions', well Steven Gerrard's opinion is the most informed and the most important.

Back