Ryan Jack

Bang average. I didn't notice him when he played for Aberdeen and I don't rate him now.

He's not a young kid and should be a leader in that team, someone you can hang your hat on having a solid game. At 26/27 years old, he's accomplished nothing and never delivers on the bigger stage.

Impressive pass completion stats are pointless when you always play the wrong ball, the weight is not quite right or it causes someone to break stride.

He's one paced, doesn't cover the ground and doesn't offer the back 4 the protection he should... and blowing out his arse after 60 mins. Physically he's not up to playing in that position.

I await the aficionados telling me I know nothing about football.

Bang average. I didn't notice him when he played for Aberdeen and I don't rate him now.

He's not a young kid and should be a leader in that team, someone you can hang your hat on having a solid game. At 26/27 years old, he's accomplished nothing and never delivers on the bigger stage.

Impressive pass completion stats are pointless when you always play the wrong ball, the weight is not quite right or it causes someone to break stride.

He's one paced, doesn't cover the ground and doesn't offer the back 4 the protection he should... and blowing out his arse after 60 mins. Physically he's not up to playing in that position.

I await the aficionados telling me I know nothing about football.

Why should he be a leader?

What had Dado Prso achieved at age 26/27?

Impressive pass completions are pointless? Keeping the ball is pointless?

Blowing out his arse after 60 minutes, really?

Why does Steven Gerrard regularly play him when other options are available if your post is accurate?

Doesn't take an aficionados to tell you that you know nothing about football after that nonsense.

When he plays well, he does a good job for us. He's done that in just one game in Europe this season. We have to get more out of him.

I think it's obvious that Gerrard needs to try something else with the midfield - question is. Will he?

Why should he be a leader?

What had Dado Prso achieved at age 26/27?

Impressive pass completions are pointless? Keeping the ball is pointless?

Blowing out his arse after 60 minutes, really?

Why does Steven Gerrard regularly play him when other options are available if your post is accurate?

Doesn't take an aficionados to tell you that you know nothing about football after that nonsense.

He's a senior player in comparison to the 2 guys he lined up beside last night. He needed to step up to the plate and he didn't.

Re retaining possession - didn't win us the game last night did it? Possession is pointless unless you can carve out chances and score goals. Good teams don't just keep possession, they move teams around to create space for creative players. Jack plays for stats, not points/goals.

And Gerrard's options are limited. We have aboutba dozen bang average midfielders of which Jack is one.

And yes, he does blow out his arse after an hour.

He's a senior player in comparison to the 2 guys he lined up beside last night. He needed to step up to the plate and he didn't.

Re retaining possession - didn't win us the game last night did it? Possession is pointless unless you can carve out chances and score goals. Good teams don't just keep possession, they move teams around to create space for creative players. Jack plays for stats, not points/goals.

And Gerrard's options are limited. We have aboutba dozen bang average midfielders of which Jack is one.

And yes, he does blow out his arse after an hour.

Rubbished your own argument in one paragraph, we don't have a team who "move around to create space for creative players".

And Jack isn't there to be creative anyway.

Rubbished your own argument in one paragraph, we don't have a team who "move around to create space for creative players".

And Jack isn't there to be creative anyway.
I'm simply stating that possession for the sake of possession is pointless. Maybe if we had a more dynamic midfield, brave on the ball and capable to moving the ball quickly we could move stretch teams?

You don't see Jack as part of the problem? Not the only problem, but part of it.

I'm not expecting Jack to play like Gazza, Albertz or Fergie, but he's got to be a bit more adaptable and contribute something in an attacking sense. Even if it's just moving the ball quickly, playing the riskier ball once in a while. I think he's a one trick pony, a very limited player.

We all want to see class players at Ibrox, but let's not let our desire cloud our judgement.

Jack is on a par with McInnes the player in terms of ability and style. Simply not good enough.

I'm simply stating that possession for the sake of possession is pointless. Maybe if we had a more dynamic midfield, brave on the ball and capable to moving the ball quickly we could move stretch teams?

You don't see Jack as part of the problem? Not the only problem, but part of it.

I'm not expecting Jack to play like Gazza, Albertz or Fergie, but he's got to be a bit more adaptable and contribute something in an attacking sense. Even if it's just moving the ball quickly, playing the riskier ball once in a while. I think he's a one trick pony, a very limited player.

We all want to see class players at Ibrox, but let's not let our desire cloud our judgement.

Jack is on a par with McInnes the player in terms of ability and style. Simply not good enough.

Fair enough, everything you have mentioned above is what I'd expect to see in the Ejaria and Coulibaly positions perhaps but not in the role Jack plays.

With two more dynamic, creative, explosive central/attacking midfielders we might be just fine with Jack doing what he does.

I actually think in Arfield and Jack we have two very good midfielders, we're just missing that final piece of the puzzle centrally and I think we need to strengthen in the wider areas.

Fair enough, everything you have mentioned above is what I'd expect to see in the Ejaria and Coulibaly positions perhaps but not in the role Jack plays.

With two more dynamic, creative, explosive central/attacking midfielders we might be just fine with Jack doing what he does.

I actually think in Arfield and Jack we have two very good midfielders, we're just missing that final piece of the puzzle centrally and I think we need to strengthen in the wider areas.

We must have about 5/6 midfielders who want to play no6 position. Absolutely crying out for a no8 and a no10 to be added to the squad.

There is no way that 2 guys like SG and GMcA who both performed at the highest levels in the engine room haven't identified that area as our weakest.

See if Ryan Jack is such an excellent player why was he at aberdeen to the age of 26 and only been capped 3 times in the worst scotland set up in decades?

Because he is not utilized as per his capabilities, strengths. I would hazard to say.

Was he not played at LB for Scotland?

He's a defensive midfielder not a attacking mid. He's the type to do the stuff that goes unnoticed would have him in team before Coulibaly.

Ideal situation is a Championship club pays couple of million for him and we can upgrade in midfield.

Dorrans fit as well soon hopefully.

crab-picture-id472497550
It would be more akin to an Ejaria thread imo.

Ryan Jack is an excellent player, but like many, is written off after a bad result.

I don't think we'll see his full potential until there is far better player's around him.
Surely if he’s excellent he would shine regardless?
I think he’s pretty shite,never rated him

Not Ryan jacks biggest fan think he’s got the easiest job on the park imo but in saying he’s had some really good games this season like the Maribor at home and Aberdeen away he was outstanding I just think Ross mcrorrie is our best option in there would also like to see rossiter play in there to but a think rossiter could also play further forward with arfield which is our best midfield at present just think mcrorrie has bullied the mhanks in the past also ie parkrad 0-0 game

I think the other 2 are worse to be honest. Can at least that Jacks doing a job. Ejaria and Coulibaly offer nothing and constantly give the ball away.

I’d like to see Jack have the shackles removed, he’s performing his job but when the two in front can contribute anything meanful Jack should be man enough to step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck

A lot of this is incredibly knee jerk on the back of a dreadful performance across the board.

Jack is a perfectly capable holding player who keeps the ball moving at a decent pace and oft affords his team mates an option.

We lost to Aberdeen, it was a game, there have been loads of games this season when Jack has excelled he has been one of our better performers in Europe where games tend to better marry with the tools he brings to the table.

Some amount of hysteria on here over a bad result ... defeats happen off nights happen the need to blame individuals or question the decisions to let players leave is bat shit crazy on here .!

He's good at breaking up play (without being an out and out ball-winner) and recycling possession, especially in tight areas. He can't be expected to take responsibility for driving the team forward. That is an unrealistic and unfair expectation of him.

We have this thread every week no matter how he is paying. Coulibaly has been rank rotten for ages yet no threads critical of him. Just the usual suspects with he usual uniformed opinions. Against hte sheep the whole team was poor. But the manager more than most as we used the same tactics for the third time this season. Didn't work and wont work against them.

In my opionion Ryan Jack is not the problem.

I am happy to have him in the sitting role.

The issue is, apart from arfield, all of our midfielders are very similar in how/where they play - ie rossiter/ejaria/coulibally/mccrorie/jack.

We need some guile in their, someone able to pick a pass/beat a player/strike a ball from 20-25 yard.

Jack will flourish with better/different style of players around him IMO.

I like Jack but let’s face it he just isn’t the quality needed for that midfield anchor, that’s where the play begins, Answer this, would he even make it into Celtic’s match day squad if he played for them? would he have got a game in hibs midfield last season? My answer is no, so why is he apparently good enough for us

If you don’t mind me saying, you really don’t sound as if you do.

Jack is ok for now but long term he is not the answer. We need much better in every position in midfield. Arfield is the only player good enough to stay long term. Rossiter is a myth. We never get to see this kid play for more than one game every six months. I like McCrorie but Gerrard does not seem to trust the kid.

Jack is central defensive midfielder. Anybody expecting Gazza type runs or laser directed passes is in for a bitter disappointment.

Win the ball, pass it to those who can play. That's the brief in a nutshell

Jack is perfect at breaking up play. He is not ideal when breaking down packed defences. McRorie has more pace . Our problem last night was Ejaria, then Coulibaly, then Jack.
If it was supposed to be largely on him to break down defences with his passing ( which is being suggested on here) then what is the purpose of the more advanced midfielders ?. When we are playing against teams that pack out the defence if tthe forward players aren't making good movements/runs thet the forward ball is not on so jack will keep the ball by playing sideways ect that's not his fault.

I think he is a very limited midfielder who has no pace, no real movement or vision.
Not a fan. Coulibaly and Ejaria are young and inexperienced but at the moment aren’t much better.

So what's your opinion on him and enlighten the fors and againsts with your superior knowledge. ;)

What he means is if you don’t rate him you know nothing:D

Even as a defensive mid he is average. When up against quality opposition he is a passenger who can’t get near the opposition midfield.
We were spoiled by having defensive mids like Edu, Thompson and Hemdani who all brought different things to the team and worked well with more creative mids like Barry, Davis and Mendes.
Edu was athletic and strong and a good man marker, Hemdani took the ball of people’s feet and quickly got the ball to a more creative type to hit teams on the counter. Thompson was a tough no nonsense hard tackler and good with the ball as where the other two.
I see none of this with Jack, he is a bang average Aberdeen level player.

What he means is if you don’t rate him you know nothing:D

Even as a defensive mid he is average. When up against quality opposition he is a passenger who can’t get near the opposition midfield.
We were spoiled by having defensive mids like Edu, Thompson and Hemdani who all brought different things to the team and worked well with more creative mids like Barry, Davis and Mendes.
Edu was athletic and strong and a good man marker, Hemdani took the ball of people’s feet and quickly got the ball to a more creative type to hit teams on the counter. Thompson was a tough no nonsense hard tackler and good with the ball as where the other two.
I see none of this with Jack, he is a bang average Aberdeen level player.
This is the point I’m getting at, maybe I’m being harsh on jack but I expect much more from a DM and always think back to hemdani and Thomson as to what I expect

This is the point I’m getting at, maybe I’m being harsh on jack but I expect much more from a DM and always think back to hemdani and Thomson as to what I expect

I agree. What he brings to the party is far too limited in its range.
We need more flexibility from our midfield.

Jack was our best player at the start of the season until the injury. Steven Gerrard said he was jealous of the performances he was given and it made him want to pull his boots back on. Ryan Jack done everything he could the other night, including coming close to scoring. The guy tried and tried to get us driving forward but there was just nothing in front of him. If you looked at the midfield the other night and thought Jack was the problem, you don't know much about football.

Jack was our best player at the start of the season until the injury. Steven Gerrard said he was jealous of the performances he was given and it made him want to pull his boots back on. Ryan Jack done everything he could the other night, including coming close to scoring. The guy tried and tried to get us driving forward but there was just nothing in front of him. If you looked at the midfield the other night and thought Jack was the problem, you don't know much about football.

Your last line is your opinion but it is bollox.

He takes an age on the ball and can’t change the pace he plays at. Tried what?

He would get the ball and then turn back and play it to a CH to kick it up the park.
No shouting at his team mates to move up, no taking the ball and running through the middle to help create something which would allow other to find space. He has no vision either and never sees anyone in space and his passing is limited unless they are right next to him.
He absolved himself of any responsibility and passed the buck.

If you get back and say that isn’t his job then sorry his range of ability is far too narrow for what Rangers need.

It isn’t just him though apart from Arfield none of our midfield are good enough.

Your last line is your opinion but it is bollox.

He takes an age on the ball and can’t change the pace he plays at. Tried what?

He would get the ball and then turn back and play it to a CH to kick it up the park.
No shouting at his team mates to move up, no taking the ball and running through the middle to help create something which would allow other to find space. He has no vision either and never sees anyone in space and his passing is limited unless they are right next to him.
He absolved himself of any responsibility and passed the buck.

If you get back and say that isn’t his job then sorry his range of ability is far too narrow for what Rangers need.

It isn’t just him though apart from Arfield none of our midfield are good enough.
Your spot on mate, a good DM will control the rythem of the game as well as pick up the pieces in the middle, jacks vision on and off the ball isn’t good enough

Jack is a good player. Our midfielder is lacking an attacking, creative threat. Ryan Jack is not that player, and criticising him for not being that player is nonsense.

That was a comment to have Jack walking 10 feet tall, nothing more, nothing less.

Ryan Jack does the dirty work no one else sees.

Ryan Jack would flourish with better players around him.

Ryan Jack doesn't have any attacking responsibility.

What utter nonsense.

Stop making excuses, he's been poor and this is not a knee jerk reaction to Wed, he has barely made a contribution in the 18 months he's been here.

I like jack but let’s face it he just isn’t the quality needed for that midfield anchor, that’s where the play begins, Answer this, would he even make it into Celtic’s match day squad if he played for them? would he have got a game in hibs midfield last season? My answer is no, so why is he apparently good enough for us
He is devoid of any imagination or inventive play. Contributes zero in the opposition half at all. His only passing is square or backwards. He is an upgraded version of ian black if we are being brutally honest .

Latest posts

Back