Ryan Kent - “less tension, less expectation in the Europa”

I actually thought the same thing but didn't want to spoil the celebration. Thought it was a bit of a faux pass saying it. But, I commend him for being honest and it gives us an insight into what's wrong.
Normally I would have some douchey comment regarding your use of "faux pass" but tonight is a night for celebrating so I will let it slide.

For me Kent’s one of the players with the correct mentality we don’t have that many.

He always turns up In the big games but needs to learn how to break down the shite .

Noticed it too. Doesn’t surprise me, and explains recent results. Clearly also means we need to acquire players with a stronger mentality this summer.
It really does not. It means we should give the team our full support whether things are good or bad. Thats really what support means .supporting through good and bad. That is what will help the team, not the moans and howls at every misplaced pass.

McCoist just summed it up perfectly there.
”Great Rangers players play against the diddy teams (okay, that was a wee bit of paraphrasing there) the same way as they play against septic or in Europe.”
Thats what our lot have got to learn.

AND

I‘ll say before anybody else, we weren’t overly successful in Europe when McCoist played.

TBH that is utter nonsense. Playing European football and playing domestically is completely different and an entirely different challenge.

We have shown ourselves to be a very decent side side in Europe. We just need to be able to adapt and maybe play a more percentage style game domestically to break down sides who have no attacking intent.

Also, the officiating plays a big part as well. Our players aren't consistently assaulted with no recourse in Europe, which gives them a bit more freedom to play their game!

You need to visit your early posts on the match thread :D o_O

Don’t think they’ll be reading the match thread during the game and I certainly don’t direct mindless abuse at them, nor did I for the many years I was a ST holder.

Last edited:
We need to remember we've a lot of players who have never experienced the level of pressure off and on the field they are currently under. They are learning, and learning fast. We need to help, not criticise.

Kent has never struck me as a guy who is confident talking publicly.

Whilst what he said certainly appears to ring true I wouldn’t put too much stock in it.

Totally agree, he was just looking for something to answer the awkward question.

If you don’t in your heart and soul believe we can win every time you go out on the park then you either buy into the managers mentality and get that belief and become mentally stronger or you’re simply not for us .

The league title will be the priority every single time

When we play in europe it is generally against teams that want to try and play football. We are actually a good football team and the few clubs in Scotland that tried have had a doing from us.

We struggle against 10 behind the ball teams.

Puts kisses at the end of posts and resides in the South of France. Just screams ginger beer sorry.
Says more about you than me, chief.

Don’t think they’ll be reading the match thread during the game and I certainly don’t direct mindless abuse at them, nor did I for the many years I was a ST holder.

Wonder how long it will take someone to realise that we create that tension.

Stop moaning at the first misplaced pass or bad touch every week
I have said it a few times. We are one of the biggest obstacles to success.
We win and everything is great.we lose and everyone is shit. Managers are afraid to blood young guys cause we cannot afford to lose any game, if the young guy makes a bad pass he's a dud.
It's no wonder some players cannot hack it at rangers.

It’s strange though because this team aren’t big game bottlers. Every game they needed to win in Europe they have, every game in the league cup up to the final they won too (obviously). The three big OF games we’ve had this season involved us winning, Gerrard messing up the tactics, or just an absolute bastard of a game - neither of the two defeats looked like they had anything to do with bottle.

Basically they just seem to shit the bed against wee teams. I wonder after all the draws and losses against the likes of the sheep and killie if there arent bigger scars from them than from celtic.

He's a young lad with a big price tag to live up to. He's not been here that long and is still learning , I am sure he will overcome that. He will be part of the Rangers team that starts lifting silverware , hopefully with this seasons Scottish cup.

What Kent was unconsciously saying was "I can't get motivated to win on a cold wet January night in Kilmarnock".

Of course we should have more expectation of beating Hearts and Killie than Braga, strange thing to say

I wonder if we can get a sports psychologist to do some CBT with 50k folk every other week for 6 weeks. That way the expectation might get channeled into support, rather than anger and hostility towards our own.

Its always "aye blame the fans, its their fault". Lot of pish. Big players thrive in high pressure situations.

The crux of the matter is our setup suits a team that opens up and comes at us. Domestically we will always struggle until we get more bodies forward on a more regular basis. Its a lot harder playing against parked buses with a central isolated striker and no support.

The weight of expectation is clearly an issue. The team need to just play their game as they do and back themselves that it will come good. We get dragged in to battles too easily and we end up playing the opponents game.

Add to that the impatience of our fans and it’s a tough situation for the players. You hear it all around Ibrox, fans absolutely slating players 10 minutes in because we aren’t winning. We need to exercise patience and understanding as a support. The union bears give fantastic backing and give that for the duration, even at 2-0 down against Braga when many were leaving.

We need to help support these players more. As soon as we beat Celtic the expectation was higher. Maybe that’s more likely the cause than any issues in Dubai. We always expect more and more coming back from the winter break, the players become scared to make a mistake and so they play it safe or easy and are nervous.

We just need to set up different domestically.

It’s surely that simple now?

If we’re out there at Tynecastle on Saturday with the same setup as last night, chances are we’ll struggle yet again.

The Scottish Cup is as vital to us as the Europa League now and our most realistic chance of silverware.

I really hope we put the same sort of control and fight into it as we‘ve done on the continent this season.

Back