Ryan Kent- has to stay

Fries my head how little importance that so many people place on forwards producing numbers.

Kent gets nowhere near what is needed and will want to be paid among our top earners. 35k a week on a 4-year deal costs you in excess of £7m.

Competent recruitment could bring you in a player at 2/3m at 12k a week that gives you 15 goals a season.

Not sure why you can’t see improvement in his play since Beale came in, it’s pretty obvious.

Ideally we would be able to get better but if our recruitment is anything to go by in recent years I won’t hold my breath.
I dont think this no10 role suits him, i much preferred the kent in europe under gio, wish we could get that version of kent.

What did he do well today?

I’m a definite in the keep camp. One of the few players that you think..how did he do that… pacy, aggressive. To replace would cost millions, to re-sign for no additional transfer fee is a no brainier for me. Joy to watch, and unplayable on his day…that’s the type of player we need!

Workrate is one thing, but his end product just isn’t good enough for the position he tends to operate in.

Beale clearly loves him, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if he moves on.
He has pace & trickery but no finesse, his shooting & final ball more often than not is woeful
You can’t get away with that at the higher levels down south

Statistics don't tell the full story because quite simply he's involved in everything positive that we do.

Workrate immense as well.

Great team player and I'll be over the moon if we get him tied down to a longterm deal.
Assume you missed the game today and most of the season?

I'm nearly 40 and he's one of the most exciting players I've watched at Rangers - and also one of the most frustrating. Great work rate, and his combination of speed, trickery and dribbling is top level. But his shooting/finishing is fucking abysmal and his decision making at times is infuriating.

I love him but I'm split completely down the middle on whether I want him to stay or go.

While he's here though, what I've always said still applies - when we need a goal he should never be subbed off. He can do something in an instant no matter how poor he's been.

Kent has had the pressure taken off him by playing in the middle of the park in a free role ,yet has delivered very little and today with colak out wide and sakala out wide Kent was nowhere to be seen in the middle.

And far I’m a definite in the keep camp. One of the few players that you think..how did he do that… pacy, aggressive. To replace would cost millions, to re-sign for no additional transfer fee is a no brainier for me. Joy to watch, and unplayable on his day…that’s the type of player we need!
His good performances are few and far between that’s the big issue. He just isn’t worth the new contract

Statistics don't tell the full story because quite simply he's involved in everything positive that we do.

Workrate immense as well.

Great team player and I'll be over the moon if we get him tied down to a longterm deal.
I'm in my 50s and I honestly reckon I'd have scored more goals than him.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that everything is always about the numbers, the data, the figures, thats all that matters... but when Rangers score 3 or 4 goals playing away to Hibs, Hearts or Motherwell the same people have decided none of the credit should go to Kent.

I dont think this no10 role suits him, i much preferred the kent in europe under gio, wish we could get that version of kent.

He simply doesn’t have the game awareness to play the role Beale is giving him.

His best performances have been when he has been played wide of a front three.

If he has more than one option he will invariably take the wrong one.

He simply doesn’t have the game awareness to play the role Beale is giving him.

His best performances have been when he has been played wide of a front three.

If he has more than one option he will invariably take the wrong one.
Agreed , his decision making is brutal.

No football brain whatsoever.

I have said he needs to improve his contribution. I think he is better in the role he is in now though, I thought he was dreadful stuck out on the wing constantly

I would like him signed, even if only yo get money for him in furture if he gets back to form. It just depends on how much it will cost.

From who though ?

One club apart, no one has came near Kent in 4 years.

If we re-sign him then he'll be here for the entire contract. I just don't see any team giving us the money we'd want.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

these are two instances of play that lead to goals and Kent is the one who basically changes a play from being slow and ponderous to us attacking and being in on goal in a second

That is what Kent offers to us , and he does it better than anyone in our squad

he won't get the credit from anyone because on your livescore app it doesn't say that he got the assist or the goal and apparently to simple minded its all about the numbers

but if he's not on the pitch, we might have struggled a lot more to break them down when it went to 2-2

And if anyone's paid any attention to our games over the past few years, whenever Kent hasn't played, you always see the effect it has on this team, with the players we have we're certainly not better off without him.

I'm nearly 40 and he's one of the most exciting players I've watched at Rangers - and also one of the most frustrating. Great work rate, and his combination of speed, trickery and dribbling is top level. But his shooting/finishing is fucking abysmal and his decision making at times is infuriating.

I love him but I'm split completely down the middle on whether I want him to stay or go.

While he's here though, what I've always said still applies - when we need a goal he should never be subbed off. He can do something in an instant no matter how poor he's been.
I'd rather we subbed him instead of Sakala today, more so when sakala is starting to do really well from the start of the 2nd half.

I find it interesting that everything is always about the numbers, the data, the figures, thats all that matters... but when Rangers score 3 or 4 goals playing away to Hibs, Hearts or Motherwell the same people have decided none of the credit should go to Kent.
Your clutching at straws to defend him. Alan McGregor has probably been involved in as many goals as Kent

Who cares ? Had plenty of chances and not done the buisness.. fu_ck him if he doesn’t want to stay he won’t be missed.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

these are two instances of play that lead to goals and Kent is the one who basically changes a play from being slow and ponderous to us attacking and being in on goal in a second

That is what Kent offers to us , and he does it better than anyone in our squad

he won't get the credit from anyone because on your livescore app it doesn't say that he got the assist or the goal and apparently to simple minded its all about the numbers

but if he's not on the pitch, we might have struggled a lot more to break them down when it went to 2-2

And if anyone's paid any attention to our games over the past few years, whenever Kent hasn't played, you always see the effect it has on this team, with the players we have we're certainly not better off without him.
Excellent post. Bit in bold highlights it perfectly - Kent running at a defence usually leads to something, whether or not he's the last pass/assist or the finisher. Makes things happen.

I've no issue with him staying, as over the piece he's well worth his place in the squad - but I do have an issue with him being kept with the intention of the full attack being built around him. He isn't good enough to be the main man in the no.10 role. We need a more consistent goal scorer in that position.

I'd rather we subbed him instead of Sakala today, more so when sakala is starting to do really well from the start of the 2nd half.
But he stayed on and had a big part in the 4th goal which clinches the points.

Not sure what the wee laughing response is for :))

thing is he didnt need to make the pass, should have carried it far further. He's always looking to pass the buck imo
I agree. He had aces of space to run into and a man either side to play in. He did the square root of fu(k all in the end. My TV almost ended up in the garden at that point ffs. :))

I've no issue with him staying, as over the piece he's well worth his place in the squad - but I do have an issue with him being kept with the intention of the full attack being built around him. He isn't good enough to be the main man in the no.10 role. We need a more consistent goal scorer in that position.
And how much does one of those cost?

If he was as good as people on here think clubs would have been lining up to sign him.
Where were they the last 4 years.
Granted he runs about a lot some times he even remembers to take the ball with him.

And how much does one of those cost?

Why this constant assumption that a replacement for Ryan Kent is going to cost mega bucks? There will be players ten a penny across Europe who play in that position and are better than Ryan Kent. All that's required is a proper scouting operation to identify these players.

We need a player in that position who is of the same level as Raskin. Why can't we go to Belgium, Scandinavia or Eastern Europe and see what's on offer there? Not every player has to be sourced from the over-inflated top 6 leagues you know.

Kent is a good player and he makes things happen. If he could finish we could make a fortune on him, sadly I don't think she 's got that in him.

He has pace & trickery but no finesse, his shooting & final ball more often than not is woeful
You can’t get away with that at the higher levels down south
When he first came to the club he was only 21 so we got excited about his pace and his trickery and told ourselves that the goals would come, but they never really have and now at 26 you have to begin to believe that they probably never will.

As someone that tends to operate as a wide attacker, we need more of a goal threat in that position, IMO, so if we offer him a new deal and he takes it, it means we’re not going to get that player.

Very good at dribbling
Very good workrate generally
Not good at crossing
Not good at passing
Woeful at shooting

Overall, I just don't think it's enough to continue with him as one of the mainstays of our attack. He seems like a good lad. I think he'll end up being a good player at Championship level down south.

When he first came to the club he was only 21 so we got excited about his pace and his trickery and told ourselves that the goals would come, but they never really have and now at 26 you have to begin to believe that they probably never will.

As someone that tends to operate as a wide attacker, we need more of a goal threat in that position, IMO, so if we offer him a new deal and he takes it, it means we’re not going to get that player.
Agree, if his finishing & final balls were to improve, it would have happened by now
He flatters to deceive imo, and I refuse to believe we cannot get better for less

He is, but it is also absolutely fair to say that his strike rate is pretty abysmal compared to what a player of his skill and pace should be.

Which is the frustrating bit.
We've got plenty of players who like to drop deep, link the play, build the play. What we need is players who can stretch the game and do it at the sharp end. Despite his obvious pace and skill it looks like he can't do that.

Very good at dribbling
Very good workrate generally
Not good at crossing
Not good at passing
Woeful at shooting

Overall, I just don't think it's enough to continue with him as one of the mainstays of our attack. He seems like a good lad. I think he'll end up being a good player at Championship level down south.
You forgot step overs , he excels there.

but he's definitely involved in more than 20 goals per season
So is Sakala, so what? He plays for Rangers, that’s the least you’d expect when you play in the front 3. We score 100+ goals a season! Our rivals have guys plays the same position involved in far more goals and it’s winning them leagues.

Back