Ryan Kent- has to stay

His time is up,been a decent player for us his goal ratio isn't very good ..35/40k a week what ever hes on we could get a very good player for that…

There's a lot in your post I agree with. But I'll start with the stuff we disagree on - Firstly, I think the comparison is fair. On pretty much every key stat Ryan Kent is inferior to his closest rival at Celtc, and in some cases even a distant second to Celtc's *third* choice for that position. That's not exaggeration it's fact. Unfortunately.
European performances are a good barometer of a player. Over a 6/8 game run on our UEFA cup final year, I'd agree he looked really good - but looking really good is a subjective measure, these performances are rolled into those stats. This year however, like most of his team mates, he looked awful.
There's a problem with cherry picking games too - We don't get to only play in Europe, and if those are the only games he's shining in the return isn't good enough. We need players who perform reliably, and in domestic competition too - it's our key to European competition.
I get where you're coming from when saying 'I would suggest his actual involvement in goals will be far greater' - Without evidence we have nothing but supposition. Me thinking the earth is flat doesn't make it more likely to be so - and people with empirical evidence can make a far more compelling case in refuting that and proving the earth is round.

The bits I agree with:
I totally agree that players like Kent are integral to Beale's plans for Rangers, and they are also the sort of player that fits the modern game well. If we want success domestically and in Europe we'll need players like that. What I'd say though is this: 'players *like* Kent, but not Kent himself'. By that I meant strong running, direct players with good athletic ability. I like Kent, he's a grafter. He's an excellent professional and never hides. He never gives less than 100%. Crucially though he's just not capable of delivering the standard of football or performance level we need. That's where the stats come in they inform us of the cold hard facts in regard to players - for example, the fact that Kent punched Brown in the face bought him a *lot* of credit with me. It also helps make us blind to his failings because he does things that subjectively we like, but that objectively contribute very little to the team succeeding.
Oddly I agree he'll be hard to replace, but that's got little to do (IMO) with his contribution to the team, the goals and assists (or more pertinently, the lack thereof). He'll be hard to replace because his commitment and work rate are good.

Ajax employ a system for assessing players called TIPS. TIPS are the key elements a player must possess to be a success - Talent, Intelligence, Personality, Speed. Kent has 3 out of the 4. The one he's lacking in is Intelligence. He lacks the judgement needed to make key passes, to set other players up and demonstrably lacks the ability to judge when to shoot.

Kent will leave with my best wishes. I like the guy, I just don't think he's even close to good enough. He can't give the team what it needs.
Apart from the fact that it isnt. Kent has more assists than hatate, maeda and abada. And only 1 less than Jota. And, considering the sitters missed in recent weeks by sakala (killie) and alfie (yesterday) he is unlucky to not be ahead of all of them domestically.

No, im not interested in having SPL dross in my team. Though it says a lot about Kent’s ability to finish and his general form that he’s trailing these players, or that there are scum players who aren’t far off equaling his tally despite Kent having a few extra seasons on them. If anything you’d have been better off not acknowledging the quality of some of the players who’ve managed to outscore him because it doesn’t exactly do him any favours. Everyone knows he has more ability than these guys, but he doesn’t show it very often, isn’t that the crux of the issue and what fans have been complaining about? I mean you’re actually strengthening my argument here. Think about it.

And by the way, my point which I’ve maintained all along, is that while stats and numbers aren’t always indicative of a players performance; they in fact do reflect Kent’s average performance. That’s based on watching him with my own eyes, so your attempt at digging up stats for players who played in a completely different era of football (players who drove us to numerous titles no less) is nonsensical. We’ve seen Kent blow horrendous chances time and again, it’s not an accident that he has so few goals in so many games. Similarly there have been far too many games against SPL dross where you’d barely know he was on the park.

Why would you have Kent over Abada and Maeda if you don’t mind me asking? And why would it be a toss up between him and Jota? Im genuinely curious, because I can’t fathom why someone would rather have a player who hasn’t performed very well or with any consistency over players who’ve waltzed into this league and had a bigger impact on their side, helping them to a title, 2 domestic cups and all but securing a second title. It doesn’t make much sense other than to attempt to appear staunch.

But that’s the thing, I think you are trying to be staunch here. I wouldn’t change my team for anything in the world, but I’m also not going to lie and pretend I don’t find watching us win very little while they hoover up the silverware, absolutely shite. I mean why would any Rangers fan find that anything other than difficult? Are you really suggesting that a fan is less of a fan if they decide they want the squad changed on the basis of the players repeated failures? I’ll support the players in every single game they play, but ultimately I want the best for the club, and if the players aren’t doing it then it’s in the clubs best interests to replace them. Clapping away while we’re failing doesn’t make you a better fan.

I can’t really respond to the last bit. I just find glorifying a points total that won’t win us anything really tragic. Maybe that’s just me though. Not only because we haven’t actually achieved that total yet, but because we’re once again in a position where the league is as good as gone, which changes the entire dynamic and means the players aren’t involved in a pressure filled title race where every game feels like a final. That’s where this team have regularly been found wanting, and that pressure won’t be there now because we’re so far behind. So I have no clue why bealesblueandwhitearmy thinks you’ve proved some sort of point here. I know this is a bit long winded, but it’s as best as I can explain it.
Firstly, i dont post things on here to be ‘staunch’. As any long time poster will contest to, i regularly dig up the UB, have no interest in loyalist songs etc etc so staunch points really aren’t a thing for me. Good try though.

You have managed in one post to both say that stats matter and then say that they dont. To use them as a reason why you would rather have celtic players but then ignore them when it comes to spl dross. Your argument is all over the place.

Why would i rather have kent than maeda or abada? Because I think he is a better player. He has more assists and i dont find him a diving cheat. Jota is a very good player so thats why its a toss up.

You genuinely thinking its Kent’s fault that he wont nothing in his first 2 years here is madness. In his last 2 he has won a league undefeated, a Scottish cup and got to the final of a European trophy in which he was pivotal and in the team of the tournament.

There's a lot in your post I agree with. But I'll start with the stuff we disagree on - Firstly, I think the comparison is fair. On pretty much every key stat Ryan Kent is inferior to his closest rival at Celtc, and in some cases even a distant second to Celtc's *third* choice for that position. That's not exaggeration it's fact. Unfortunately.
European performances are a good barometer of a player. Over a 6/8 game run on our UEFA cup final year, I'd agree he looked really good - but looking really good is a subjective measure, these performances are rolled into those stats. This year however, like most of his team mates, he looked awful.
There's a problem with cherry picking games too - We don't get to only play in Europe, and if those are the only games he's shining in the return isn't good enough. We need players who perform reliably, and in domestic competition too - it's our key to European competition.
I get where you're coming from when saying 'I would suggest his actual involvement in goals will be far greater' - Without evidence we have nothing but supposition. Me thinking the earth is flat doesn't make it more likely to be so - and people with empirical evidence can make a far more compelling case in refuting that and proving the earth is round.

The bits I agree with:
I totally agree that players like Kent are integral to Beale's plans for Rangers, and they are also the sort of player that fits the modern game well. If we want success domestically and in Europe we'll need players like that. What I'd say though is this: 'players *like* Kent, but not Kent himself'. By that I meant strong running, direct players with good athletic ability. I like Kent, he's a grafter. He's an excellent professional and never hides. He never gives less than 100%. Crucially though he's just not capable of delivering the standard of football or performance level we need. That's where the stats come in they inform us of the cold hard facts in regard to players - for example, the fact that Kent punched Brown in the face bought him a *lot* of credit with me. It also helps make us blind to his failings because he does things that subjectively we like, but that objectively contribute very little to the team succeeding.
Oddly I agree he'll be hard to replace, but that's got little to do (IMO) with his contribution to the team, the goals and assists (or more pertinently, the lack thereof). He'll be hard to replace because his commitment and work rate are good.

Ajax employ a system for assessing players called TIPS. TIPS are the key elements a player must possess to be a success - Talent, Intelligence, Personality, Speed. Kent has 3 out of the 4. The one he's lacking in is Intelligence. He lacks the judgement needed to make key passes, to set other players up and demonstrably lacks the ability to judge when to shoot.

Kent will leave with my best wishes. I like the guy, I just don't think he's even close to good enough. He can't give the team what it needs.
There’s another piece of information missing which has not been mentioned afaik.
As you will realise I’m old school but equally some things cannot be measured.
It’s what you see with your eyes and it’s significance.
You mention TIPS but surely some of those items are subjective.
I don’t think that Kent is lacking game intelligence.
He knows where he should be to hurt the opposition but as he’s one of the few players in the team of going on a dribble at pace and directly at the opposition he loses the ball quite often and his shooting is abysmal not that he doesn’t know when to shoot .
However the fact he does that and tends to beat a couple before losing out is unsettling to them.
Under Gio he was a nightmare but his performance level as has Borna who he links up well has shot up.

It’s very well saying he’s not good enough but it’s another thing buying someone who is gonna be better than him for what he offers to the team for the spend we have.

I doubt we’ll be able to afford Vini Jnr.
I’m being facetious but generally obtaining a wide man who offers more than Kent will be difficult as the calibre of wide man we’ve recruited in the past few years have been substantially worse than Kent.
Be careful what you wish for.
That’s all to do with the markets we are forced to deal in.

Kent's problem is still the same problem he came with he has to know when to release the ball as he still gets caught again and again by trying to beat every man.

Comparing his goals/assists per 90 to Sakala, Abada, Jota and Maeda across their Scottish Premiership careers

A couple of things are clear:

Sakala is a far more effective player than he's given credit for, having the highest goals+assists per 90 among that group.

Kent is in last place in both categories. The argument that he makes up in assists what he lacks in goals doesn't hold. Kent averages an assist every 4 full games, Sakala who is more of a finisher than a creator still manages to average an assist every 3 full games.
So basically your argument is that Kent is worse than Sakala Maeda Abada and Jota based on goals and assists.
My eyes tell me that’s a load of balls.

Would you really take Sakala in the team for a full season to replace Kent rather than a guy integral to the way we play under MB.
A guy integral in 55 and getting us to a European Final.
Absolute bonkers.

Have the Paedo players risen them to a level in Europe to make a significant impact?
For me Abada is a very similar type to Sakala and Maeda a workhorse with pace but not ball skills.
Jota is the best of their 3 ability wise and impact wise in their team similar to Kent.
Removing Kent would be similar to them losing Jota and interesting in the same price bracket.
Money talks perhaps?

Ask opposition managers what they think of Kent.When he was confined to the wing during Gios time it wasn't unusual to see 3 players marking him.Beale has the savvy to give him more freedom to work across the front three and sometimes as a number 10.I think he is much more involved and productive under this system and would like to see him stay.
Apart from no goals or assists in the last four games in this position?

His decision making, shooting and general end product are all very, very poor. And elements of each have actually been getting steadily worse.

There is absolutely no sense in keeping him. And he is so stale.

He is part of a group of players who have consistently failed to win trophies. Keeping the likes of Kent would only result in continued failures.
Nail on the head.

So basically your argument is that Kent is worse than Sakala Maeda Abada and Jota based on goals and assists.
My eyes tell me that’s a load of balls.

Would you really take Sakala in the team for a full season to replace Kent rather than a guy integral to the way we play under MB.
A guy integral in 55 and getting us to a European Final.
Absolute bonkers.

Have the Paedo players risen them to a level in Europe to make a significant impact?
For me Abada is a very similar type to Sakala and Maeda a workhorse with pace but not ball skills.
Jota is the best of their 3 ability wise and impact wise in their team similar to Kent.
Removing Kent would be similar to them losing Jota and interesting in the same price bracket.
Money talks perhaps?
So he played well in the league two seasons ago and was good in the run to a European final 12 months ago?

Cool.

Last edited:
So he played well in the league two seasons ago and was good in the run to a European final 18 months ago?

Cool.
He’s playing well now and hugely contributing to our improved results under MB!
Perhaps missed that .

2 other points is he’s seldom injured and always available.
Consider what the possibilities of getting someone better within our price range.

People talk about wholesale change which is a misnomer.
There’s always a core number who remain.

We’ve changed 7 plus 2 in January and say 4/5 in Summer which will cost money.
Do we really need to change Kent as a priority.??
I doubt it.

Last edited:
So he played well in the league two seasons ago and was good in the run to a European final 18 months ago?

Cool.
Nonsense isn’t it.

His peak form will be higher than the likes of Maeda and Abada. But what use is that when his peak form is about as common as a solar eclipse and generally only ever comes out for a few Euro games or the odd OF game? That’s the thing that boils my piss about Kent. High ceiling, but his form rarely stays near that ceiling, and it does feel like he’s getting progressively worse.

He has so many naff games against shite sides it’s ridiculous. And while some people are still riding the wave of 55 and Europe last season. I’d rather push on and win more honours. I would genuinely prefer to have a player with less talent who produces a higher average performance level in the SPL. £35-40k per week for what he’s giving us? We’ve wasted enough money without committing that act of lunacy.

Apart from no goals or assists in the last four games in this position?
Don't agree mate he is involved in most of our forward play.Providing an assist is more than playing the final pass.On Saturday for example he burst a gut moving forward played the ball to Morelos who played a good pass to Malik who scored a peach. He links up play and brings others in to the game.Of course he could make improvements to his game but you could say that about any player.

Do you no
Nonsense isn’t it.

His peak form will be higher than the likes of Maeda and Abada. But what use is that when his peak form is about as common as a solar eclipse and generally only ever comes out for a few Euro games or the odd OF game? That’s the thing that boils my piss about Kent. High ceiling, but his form rarely stays near that ceiling, and it does feel like he’s getting progressively worse.

He has so many naff games against shite sides it’s ridiculous. And while some people are still riding the wave of 55 and Europe last season. I’d rather push on and win more honours. I would genuinely prefer to have a player with less talent who produces a higher average performance level in the SPL. £35-40k per week for what he’s giving us? We’ve wasted enough money without committing that act of lunacy.
Do you not agree we’ve been better under MB ?
Slowly I would suggest with some mixed performances.
In terms of away results it’s night and day and people on here love a statistical fact as a performance indicator.
I would suggest that the team In several games have been re energised and that looks like it’s gonna become the norm with Cantwell Raskin and Tillman being integral to that.
MB’s tactical change in allowing Tav and Borna to get forward far more often and Kent getting freedom of movement have also bought into the process.
So basically I would be quite happy for Kent to remain going forward subject to suitable financial agreement for what I hope and expect to happen in the future not the past.!
Nonsense isn’t it.

Do you not agree we’ve been better under MB ?
Slowly I would suggest with some mixed performances.
In terms of away results it’s night and day and people on here love a statistical fact as a performance indicator.
I would suggest that the team In several games have been re energised and that looks like it’s gonna become the norm with Cantwell Raskin and Tillman being integral to that.
MB’s tactical change in allowing Tav and Borna to get forward far more often and Kent getting freedom of movement have also bought into the process.

So basically I would be quite happy for Kent to remain going forward subject to suitable financial agreement for what I hope and expect to happen in the future not the past.!

I also tend to think we have other financial priorities like keeper and centre forward and MB has mentioned centre half.

I also consider the implications of replacing him with better for the funds we have available and Kent is very likely to offer better value.
For the money we have what is the likelihood of getting better?
Not high.

There's not a chance we should be offering Kent a new deal, so we probably will. At his very best he's decent

Kent can go any time you like. Morelos, Jack, McGregor tattie bye.
Davies, Souttar cheerio. What a fuckin job Beale has on his hands. Like real monumental stuff.

The difference between what they get out of their wide players and what we get from Kent is one of the biggest differences between the teams.

A few nice looking step overs and a goal every 20 games is not going to win trophies

Sorry but he doesn't offer enough, is far too slow at moving the ball against a team who close down quickly and move the ball past. He flatters to deceive the vast majority of the time.

Today’s performance was the final straw for me.
Always been a big fan of Kent but his ball control and his first touch, even his second touch was awful. The worst thing of all was his desire… lost just about every challenge. Even ones he was favourite to win. Wee Tom on RTV even comments “Jota wanted that ball more than Kent I would like to suggest”

Back