Ryan Kent- has to stay

Totally random, sitting at the bar on my lonesome tonight. Canadian barman starts making conversation, asking about football, champions league etc. pretty clueless, but he was trying. I was telling him I’d like Napoli to win it. One of the kitchen guys was listening in and says he’s Mexican and would like Napoli to win it because they have a Mexican playing for them, same with Feyenoord in the EL.
I told him we were in the EL final last year. He says, ”Ah Rangers, I like Ryan Kent and Tavernier both very good players” I barely know a non Rangers supporting Brit that’s heard of the two over here, never mind a young Mexican immigrant. I was actually pretty chuffed.

His numbers compared to some in our squad are embarrassing for him.
When you do the same to their squad it gets worse.

Granted he has no control over price paid for him which is always an issue when it comes to debating ability but he’s no where near as good as people like to think he is when it comes to finishing or creating.

Not sure you are a rangers fan. All you spout is negativity
9 points behind, one trophy down, no European football and staring down the barrel of another scum treble. Aye forgive me if I’m not shiting rainbows here. After all the subject of the thread is a player who’s a big part of that. But obviously a real fan would pretend it’s all fine wouldn’t they.

By the way, there’s a thread on Cantwell on the first page, should have a read at that before talking shite. Cheers :))

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

these are two instances of play that lead to goals and Kent is the one who basically changes a play from being slow and ponderous to us attacking and being in on goal in a second

That is what Kent offers to us , and he does it better than anyone in our squad

he won't get the credit from anyone because on your livescore app it doesn't say that he got the assist or the goal and apparently to simple minded its all about the numbers

but if he's not on the pitch, we might have struggled a lot more to break them down when it went to 2-2

And if anyone's paid any attention to our games over the past few years, whenever Kent hasn't played, you always see the effect it has on this team, with the players we have we're certainly not better off without him.
Finally some sense.

If it was all about stats, Regan Charles-Cook is better than Kyogo.

Ryan Kent is a far better player than what's been said on here.

He doesn't bring the numbers like some folk want but his work rate and overall play is a key component to how the side is set up, on our run to the EL he was unplayable at times.

Since Beale has came in his attitude has been spot on and he's playing like his old self again. He had a massive hand in two goals yesterday, with him gone who does the same work he does?

For me I'd be trying to renew his deal and sign Tillman for the other "10", Tillman can supply the goals. If we can sign a 20 goal striker for the SPFL it will take the heat off Kent for his numbers.

Finally some sense.

If it was all about stats, Regan Charles-Cook is better than Kyogo.

Exactly, and the winger Duk at Aberdeen has almost double the amount of league goals that their superstar Jota has as well, but no ones seriously trying to say he's a better player are they ?

People on here are becoming unhealthily obsessive over numbers

Can you imagine if Barca fans started trying to judge Iniesta on his goal output, he generally got no more than 3 or 4 in a season and his shooting was shocking considering his world class talent

it IS a numbers game yes, and ultimately we do need more goals throughout the team, but it's not so simple as fill the team with players who can score goals and it will all work out. If that was the case why not play a 4-3-3 with 3 Colak's up front ?

The way we're shaping up under Beale it looks like we're going to be playing with 2 strikers more often than not in the league, it's promising and if we can get better and more reliable players/scorers than Colak and Sakala, and supplement that with the creative talents of Kent, Cantwell and Raskin we'll be in a good place.

Statistics don't tell the full story because quite simply he's involved in everything positive that we do.

Workrate immense as well.

Great team player and I'll be over the moon if we get him tied down to a longterm deal.
I’m sorry have to disagree with you he was pish again yesterday he’s not progressed, he’s at his level and we can get better for what he’s paid and obviously wanting a bigger pay increase.

It’s time he moves on for himself and Rangers.

40 grand a week myth
Anyone who thinks a new deal for Kent won’t make him - at least - our joint top earner alongside Lundstram at around £35,000 a week is kidding themselves on.

He could get £50,000 a week down south to sit on a bench, he won’t be staying here for anything less than top earner wage when he’s coming into what should be his peak 3-4 years.

Anyone who thinks a new deal for Kent won’t make him - at least - our joint top earner alongside Lundstram at around £35,000 a week is kidding themselves on.

He could get £50,000 a week down south to sit on a bench, he won’t be staying here for anything less than top earner wage when he’s coming into what should be his peak 3-4 years.
Lundstram is our top earner on 35k a week? News to me where you hear this?

Lundstram is our top earner on 35k a week? News to me where you hear this?
It was reported at the time that we were offering around £10,000 more than Sheffield United who had offered around £25,000 - he was actually on surprisingly little for an EPL player.

But that’s the thing with the free transfer, you can go a bit higher on wages and that’ll be the issue we face if Kent has any interest down there.

We’d have lost Goldson as well if he’d got a decent offer, it’s just the position we’re in with this league.

When we first had RK on loan he looked good most of the time but was also a bit erratic
I thought once he signed permanently he'd be less erratic & would settle into consistency
After his first season I thought he'd make a preferred position his own & could still be effective in that position - even if / when he wasn't always on top form

To be honest - I think he's just as erratic now as he ever was & although he can be described as great on his day - he can never be described as consistent IMO

Regrettably- that often makes him a bit of a luxury & there are lots of times we can't afford that

I think some SPL teams have slowly learned to deal with the more predictable style of his play by now as well
Which means he's got to be even more exceptional in many matches to make a difference & that's an added burden for him

I fully appreciate & am grateful for all his contributions- but I'm not in the 'must keep' camp

It was reported at the time that we were offering around £10,000 more than Sheffield United who had offered around £25,000 - he was actually on surprisingly little for an EPL player.

But that’s the thing with the free transfer, you can go a bit higher on wages and that’ll be the issue we face if Kent has any interest down there.

We’d have lost Goldson as well if he’d got a decent offer, it’s just the position we’re in with this league.
IF big if Lundstram is our top earner on that money Kent deserves every penny then.

When we first had RK on loan he looked good most of the time but was also a bit erratic
I thought once he signed permanently he'd be less erratic & would settle into consistency
After his first season I thought he'd make a preferred position his own & could still be effective in that position - even if / when he wasn't always on top form

To be honest - I think he's just as erratic now as he ever was & although he can be described as great on his day - he can never be described as consistent IMO

Regrettably- that often makes him a bit of a luxury & there are lots of times we can't afford that

I think some SPL teams have slowly learned to deal with the more predictable style of his play by now as well
Which means he's got to be even more exceptional in many matches to make a difference & that's an added burden for him

I fully appreciate & am grateful for all his contributions- but I'm not in the 'must keep' camp
I’m just astonished that his shooting seems to have got worse.

How are we not working on that?

maybe the same place you heard this, post no 105

Even then, I’d be really surprised if a £7m signing was only on £20,000.

He needs a new agent!

Even then, I’d be really surprised if a £7m signing was only on £20,000.

He needs a new agent!
not only does the poster know what Kent earns but also what his new contract offer will or wont get him, maybe he is kent's agent :)

People on here are absolutely obsessed about numbers. Sure we would like him to score more goals but the attack under Beale doesn’t function without Ryan kent in it. His pace at running with ball is vital as well as his link up play. I’d be looking to extend him.

People on here are absolutely obsessed about numbers. Sure we would like him to score more goals but the attack under Beale doesn’t function without Ryan kent in it. His pace at running with ball is vital as well as his link up play. I’d be looking to extend him.
Stats can back up or detract from an argument, but there’s only one that matters for an forward and that is goals.

Assists - you could pass a square ball to someone five yards away who rattles it into the top bag from 35 yards, and you get the same assist as someone who beats four defenders, rounds a goalie and squares it for a tap in.

I think any Rangers forward who plays every game should be scoring at least 10 league goals a season.

Ultimately, the attack might work just as well - or even better - with a Kent replacement, we’ll just need to see how it goes.

not only does the poster know what Kent earns but also what his new contract offer will or wont get him, maybe he is kent's agent :)
Yet you have no problem with the other poster telling us Lundstrams wage or what Kent will or won’t get - or Morelos wage that constantly gets threw about this forum?

Sausage

Stats can back up or detract from an argument, but there’s only one that matters for an forward and that is goals.

Assists - you could pass a square ball to someone five yards away who rattles it into the top bag from 35 yards, and you get the same assist as someone who beats four defenders, rounds a goalie and squares it for a tap in.

I think any Rangers forward who plays every game should be scoring at least 10 league goals a season.

Ultimately, the attack might work just as well - or even better - with a Kent replacement, we’ll just need to see how it goes.
You can’t just eliminate a stat because you don’t like it. He has 3 goals and 9 assists this season. For a large part of this season he was hugging the touch line under Gio and asked to swing crosses in from wide. He wasn’t going to score many from that position. He’s a winger so his assists will be higher than his goal rate.

If this chancer is given a contract extension then we’ll reap what we sow. Standby for more shoulder shuffle/double stepover and mediocrity.
A forward player for Rangers should be returning 12-15 goals across all competitions as a minimum. He’s playing in Scotland ffs.

Made to look stupid (again) - put a silly gif up.

Sausage
Calling people sausage is brilliant patter but the gif sums you up.

You never did say how you knew what kents current wage is and why you know he wont get £35k in his new contract offer yet you query where other posters get their info. Hypocrite.

You can’t just eliminate a stat because you don’t like it. He has 3 goals and 9 assists this season. For a large part of this season he was hugging the touch line under Gio and asked to swing crosses in from wide. He wasn’t going to score many from that position. He’s a winger so his assists will be higher than his goal rate.
The Gio stuff I’m onside with, I’ve seen the StatBomb data on his average position and it was genuinely old school winger stuff, chalk on the boots and all that. I couldn’t believe how wide he was played.

He’s not quite that under Beale though, and he’s still walking away with no goals or assists from the last four games. I see him as a forward - not a striker by any means, but part of the front three.

I’m undecided on Kent, with my biggest concern being that a 3/4 year contract meaning we’ll have spent nearly £20m on the guy overall and I’m not convinced the returns have/are/will be enough to justify that.

The Gio stuff I’m onside with, I’ve seen the StatBomb data on his average position and it was genuinely old school winger stuff, chalk on the boots and all that.

He’s not quite that under Beale though, and he’s still walking away with no goals or assists from the last four games.

I’m undecided on Kent, with my biggest concern being that a 3/4 year contract meaning we’ll have spent nearly £20m on the guy overall and I’m not convinced the returns have/are/will be enough to justify that.
the kent that played under gio in europe was excellent though and i preferred that version of kent than we one get under beale.

Calling people sausage is brilliant patter but the gif sums you up.

You never did say how you knew what kents current wage is and why you know he wont get £35k in his new contract offer yet you query where other posters get their info. Hypocrite.
Sausage sums you up.

You’re the last person I would tell anything.

And that’s on Beale for sure.

You really don't like Beale, do you, snidey wee comments polluting every thread.

His league record is excellent since his arrival, yesterday's win was our 7th away win on the trot, including our 2 best performances, annihilating the 2 Edinburgh clubs, normally difficult fixtures, with Kent brilliant in both games.

You could argue he got it wrong in the league cup final, by going with the tried and tested, over Raskin and Cantwell, but that team had produced the Tynecastle performance, so understandable.

He's matched the filth league form since his arrival, W12 or 13 and D1, so wtf are you expecting exactly?

the kent that played under gio in europe was excellent though and i preferred that version of kent than we one get under beale.

He was also excellent under Gerrard and Beale.
Kent thrives in Europe because teams come at us and there's more space and counter attack opportunities, that suits Ryan's game.
Facing a 10 man block almost every game bar the filth, makes it difficult for Kent, but he's still our best creative player.

You really don't like Beale, do you, snidey wee comments polluting every thread.

His league record is excellent since his arrival, yesterday's win was our 7th away win on the trot, including our 2 best performances, annihilating the 2 Edinburgh clubs, normally difficult fixtures, with Kent brilliant in both games.

You could argue he got it wrong in the league cup final, by going with the tried and tested, over Raskin and Cantwell, but that team had produced the Tynecastle performance, so understandable.

He's matched the filth league form since his arrival, W12 or 13 and D1, so wtf are you expecting exactly?
Who said I didn’t like him?
Snidey comments = the truth , he’s messed up in his two OF games , without these winning is irrelevant.
Every rookie manager makes mistakes but I suggest he needs to learn quick or sink.

Fries my head how little importance that so many people place on forwards producing numbers.

Kent gets nowhere near what is needed and will want to be paid among our top earners. 35k a week on a 4-year deal costs you in excess of £7m.

Competent recruitment could bring you in a player at 2/3m at 12k a week that gives you 15 goals a season.
Fries my head how MUCH importance that so many people place on forwards producing CERTAIN numbers.

Kent thrives in Europe because teams come at us and there's more space and counter attack opportunities, that suits Ryan's game.
Facing a 10 man block almost every game bar the filth, makes it difficult for Kent, but he's still our best creative player.
Or we work on bringing in a player who we think copes better with it?

We’re justifying a lot based on European games when we really need to get back to regular domestic success.

but it's not always a 10 man block, yesterday he had the ball first half with acres of space in front of him to run into yet passed the ball and straight to a motherwell player.

It's as though there's two kent's, a european version and a domestic version.

Who said I didn’t like him?
Snidey comments = the truth , he’s messed up in his two OF games , without these winning is irrelevant.
Every rookie manager makes mistakes but I suggest he needs to learn quick or sink.

Re read your posts ffs, your tone towards Beale is toxic.

We've gone from getting a couple of hidings under Gio to outplaying them at Ibrox, and losing a final that could've gone either way.

You're talking shite.

but it's not always a 10 man block, yesterday he had the ball first half with acres of space in front of him to run into yet passed the ball and straight to a motherwell player.

It's as though there's two kent's, a european version and a domestic version.

He also played a big part in 2 goals and should've had 2 assists yesterday, but for poor finishing by our CFs.

We've also won all league games, bar the draw with the filth since Beale arrived, and Kent's played in all of them, I think?

Kent is not our problem, as much as some posters want to slaughter every one of our players.

Back