Ryan Kent - The Clash of Opinions

Should he stay or should he go?

• Kent to stay at Rangers next season

Votes: 803 70.6%
  • Kent to leave Rangers in the Summer

Votes: 335 29.4%

• Total voters
He’s on less than 20 a week and there’s no chance he’s getting 35 so you don’t need to worry about your £20m figure.
Nah, I disagree.

I can’t see a £7m signing being in less than £20,000 a week, but it’s a rough guess and neither of us know.

He’d make £50,000-£60,000 down in the EPL no bother as a 27 year old homegrown English winger, even if he isn’t starting. If we’re going to keep him, he’s going to want more than £35,000 a week unless it’s another Goldson situation and nobody of note really wants him.

Looks good at times and I think keep him, but hardly ever scores, don't think that's acceptable for a forward player for Rangers, voted for him to go.

Looks good at times and I think keep him, but hardly ever scores, don't think that's acceptable for a forward player for Rangers, voted for him to go.
He is involved in so many of our goals though, and him being double marked all the time leaves space for others.

It was him that made the 4th goal v Hibs but he got no assist for that, and then he should have had an assist for Colak's hattrick but Colak messed up the finish. The Hibs manager then singled him out as unplayable and our most dangerous player. Pretty obvious that his apparent lack of numbers doesn't tell the full story.

Time to move him on, our full forward line need’s freshening up. We have won 2 domestic trophies in 5 years with the current players.
Sakala, Colak, Tillman, Wright, Roofe etc haven't been here 5 years. Think you just mean Kent and Morelos.

He is involved in so many of our goals though, and him being double marked all the time leaves space for others.

It was him that made the 4th goal v Hibs but he got no assist for that, and then he should have had an assist for Colak's hattrick but Colak messed up the finish. The Hibs manager then singled him out as unplayable and our most dangerous player. Pretty obvious that his apparent lack of numbers doesn't tell the full story.
He's not 'double marked all the time'.

Roughly 35k+ a week for a forward who doesn’t score despite being given complete licence to roam.

There’s players out there who can give us more for half the weekly wage.

If he was going to earn us a decent transfer fee then he would have by now so that ship has sailed.

This in spades.
Letting a player we spent a large outlay on leave for zip is tantamount to fiscal suicide!
Or,
we could look at it as, we have had our money worth, time to look elsewhere with no hard feelings.
he has definately picked up his game since beale came in, I just think he would be looking for too much of a lift in money, for what he actually gives us.

Tougher decision than it was 4 months ago but just edge towards let him go.

Like him or not he is one of our best players.

To lose him for nothing would be madness as we don’t exactly have a shed load of money to replace him and bring some new players also.

It’s just a sign of where we currently are.

It’s a “ keep him “ for me.

Oh the the Kent is a different player under Beale myth getting an airing again.

Did you not watch the weekend, that is what we have got 3 out of every 4 games since the minute he walked through the door.

On his day he is one of our best, his days are becoming less frequent though, a lot of running about not a lot of end product for a guy that cost £7million.

Roughly 35k+ a week for a forward who doesn’t score despite being given complete licence to roam.

There’s players out there who can give us more for half the weekly wage.

If he was going to earn us a decent transfer fee then he would have by now so that ship has sailed.
I think he’ll get comfortably more than £35,000 at EPL level, and I think there will be interest. Him being classed as a homegrown player is a massive advantage as he comes into what should be the peak of his career between 27 and 31 or so.

With no transfer fees and the EPL’s new TV deals, even the likes of Burnley, Everton, Leeds and Brentford will be able to spent £50,000 or £60,000 a week without an afterthought.

Oh the the Kent is a different player under Beale myth getting an airing again.

Did you not watch the weekend, that is what we have got 3 out of every 4 games since the minute he walked through the door.

On his day he is one of our best, his days are becoming less frequent though, a lot of running about not a lot of end product for a guy that cost £7million.
He’s a good player, but the ‘teams always double up on him’ is another myth.

I think he's a very good player, but replacable. If he was a Celtic player leaving them on a bosman, what would we think ? I don't think we'd be that bothered to be bothered.
If he was a Celtic player he would get far better protection from refs, the constant grabbing and holding would result in quick cards so he would he would probably have slightly better stats and lot lots of posters love their stats.

Can’t believe anyone would seriously have Sakala over Kent but fair enough.

I wouldn't compare the two of them, they are different style of players.

I'd fancy Sakala to hit the target more often, I'd fancy Sakala to slide home a 1 on 1 over Kent, I'd fancy Sakala to have a better end product over the course of a season.

Work rate, link up, touch, control, flicks and step overs - Kent every day.

Can't be arsed looking at the chances created stats since Beale came in but Kent vs Sakala in that situation would be interesting.

I also laugh at the people who say Kent frightens Celtic. It's a bit like saying Morelos will rag-doll the Celtic defence. It's all talk.

It's not the Rangers supports fault Kent could possibly leave on a free. I don't believe he's worth a pay increase either. I think he will sign a new deal because the options out there will be limited.

I'd fancy Sakala to hit the target more often, I'd fancy Sakala to slide home a 1 on 1 over Kent, I'd fancy Sakala to have a better end product over the course of a season.

Can't be arsed looking at the chances created stats since Beale came in but Kent vs Sakala in that situation would be interesting.

I also laugh at the people who say Kent frightens Celtic. It's a bit like saying Morelos will rag-doll the Celtic defence. It's all talk.

It's not the Rangers supports fault Kent could possibly leave on a free. I don't believe he's worth a pay increase either. I think he will sign a new deal because the options out there will be limited.
Bit unfair to have a go at Kent for performance against that mob - he was poor in the final granted but 9/10 he does show up against them,not necessarily saying he frightens them but I think they would be glad to see the back of him.

I’d like Kent to stay as he’s a far better performer under Beale and far more likely to make a meaningful contribution with the free role he is given. As a result he will also become a more sellable asset if he is contracted to Rangers again for another few years. Best case - we get a better version of Kent for a few more years under Beale. Worst case - he signs on, we get a more positive season from him next year and then he leaves for a fee next summer rather than on a free transfer this summer.
Correct.

Its an absolute no brainer as long as the figure are right

From what I've seen they're more scared of Sakala than Kent cause of his pace and unpredictability.

I'd like him to stay but IMHO it's a moot point.

All the strength is with the player when a contract gets to where his is now. Even if he wanted to stay the temptation to go elsewhere and see a lump sum hit his bank account, alongside a higher weekly wage, will likely prove too much.

I reckon he will be off and will pocket a large sum while doing so.

He's a good player, but imo we can get a player who scores more from his position, assists more from his position, for less weekly dosh. That's incumbent on our scouts doing a good job! :eek:
Let him go.

The results surprised me. I don’t get people wanting him to stay. If he stays, he should be required to spend the summer learning how to properly shot the ball into the goal.

I’m hoping he stays.
I think he contributes more than his “numbers” tell us.
Also, we know he isn’t worth £7m today but, it’d take a £7m purchase to replace him.

How did we do in the CL and the Europa League final ? Just in case you forgot.

That's my point though (especially the final): He is part of the core of a team that has failed us time and time again.
Getting to the EL final is a major success.
The failure to win the trophy shouldn’t be seen as a failure in the competition.
We massively exceeded our expectations.

It speaks volumes that he's been able to run his contract down here and nobody snapped him up in January. He simply isn't that good a player, nor will he become so by signing a new deal and suddenly be worth a good fee.

Football clubs aren't daft, if they thought he had the potential to be worth the big sum in future, they would get in before we renew him and save themselves a fortune.

Also, being a regular starter in our current squad or being one of our best players means not a massive much given the height the bar is set to with the existing bunch.

We need better and we need fresh, enthusiastic players who actually genuinely look like they want to be here and running through walls for us week-in-week-out. Kent just doesn't deliver on that.

I could imagine the uproar if he walked for 5M - Would still need replaced out of that.
I don’t see your overall point, we are close to losing him for nothing and so a £7m loss on the absolute transfer fee paid for Kent and we still need to replace him.

If the board genuinely would be scared to make the right overall decision because supporters would be angry then the board are not fit for purpose (Wilson certainly isn’t). They need to make tough decisions that are in the best interests of the club and if they shy away from them then they should be ousted.

It speaks volumes that he's been able to run his contract down here and nobody snapped him up in January.
How come no-one signed Messi in January then? He's in the same contract situation as Kent. Do you think PSG fans are writing on their forums that it speaks volumes that no-one has snapped Messi up yet?

Kent knocks his pan in every game and is on the receiving end of regular praise from managers for the defensive work he does. It's either a straight up lie that he doesn't try, or you've not even been watching.

I don’t see your overall point, we are close to losing him for nothing and so a £7m loss on the absolute transfer fee paid for Kent and we still need to replace him.

If the board genuinely would be scared to make the right overall decision because supporters would be angry then the board are not fit for purpose (Wilson certainly isn’t). They need to make tough decisions that are in the best interests of the club and if they shy away from them then they should be ousted.
I simply don't think return on investment is as simple as that here.

As much as I want him gon, and would let him walk in the summer rather than renew, he has undoubtedly over his time been a good contributor in the handful of successes we've seen.

Particularly his involvement in Europe, where there was obviously significant financial return for the progress we made, not just in the EL final season, but in the previosu years where we made good progress and also qualifying for the CL.

All of that is return on investment and suggesting a player who we paid a fee for leaving at end of contract is an outright loss, I would say isn't at all how that investment is measured.

If only he could shoot .
We wont be able to afford a better replacement. Look what £3M for Rabbi Mattondo got us. Any player with the skill of Kent will cost us a fortune, which we dont have.

He can shoot he has scored some absolute belters, often he is reluctant to shoot at times and I think that is a confidence thing. We haven't had anyone similar to Kent in our team for ages and he has always had to play without being taken out of the squad, rarely injured as well. People forget about his work rate for a forward/wing type player and it is 2nd to none. He has also won us a lot of penalties over the years for his fast feet in the box. The amount of money he will have brought into the club from his European displays cant be forgotten either. For the people that wanted to get money for him last year, what would their thoughts have been if he was sold in January last year in the middle of us doing well in Europe and impacted us getting to a major European final!?

our most exciting player (will admit not often enough) would be disappointed to see him go

How come no-one signed Messi in January then? He's in the same contract situation as Kent. Do you think PSG fans are writing on their forums that it speaks volumes that no-one has snapped Messi up yet?
I think it's safe to say that Messi's wages and demands would significantly limit the number of real life suitors he would court. He'd also have his agent very well briefed and planning out exactly what he was willing to do.

We're talking about Ryan Kent, who an English Championship side could comfortably afford to buy and give him a bigger wage than he gets here and that (if he was good enough) would be a drop in the ocean for a lower-end EPL club.

It's a daft comparison.

I expect the board saw keeping him and not having to replace him as a better move than taking a low ball offer.

I think it's safe to say that Messi's wages and demands would significantly limit the number of real life suitors he would court. He'd also have his agent very well briefed and planning out exactly what he was willing to do.

We're taliing about Ryan Kent, who an English Championship side could comfortably afford to buy and give him a bigger wage than he gets here and that (if he was good enough) would be a drop in the ocean ofor a lower-end EPL club.

It's a daft comparison.
How do you know he's not had an offer from a Championship team?

He might well have had an offer from every single team in world football in January, but turned them all down to focus on his football til the end of the season, when things will be much clearer for him. I mean, for example, if he had signed a pre-contract with a side like Everton he would already be doubting his future there with the managerial changes and relegation prospects. Had Gio been here a few months longer he might have chose to leave then regretted it when Beale came in. It would be a bit mental to make a decision now when he knows he'll get all the same offers, with more clarity, come the end of the season. Plus this way he doesn't upset the fans he's abandoning (til he actually leaves) and can focus purely on his football.

What’s his assist stats like?

We spend a lot of the time with the ball at Ryan’s feet but I need to be convinced it’s productive time. Not enough goals for me but if his assists are good then he gets my vote, else time to go.

I’d like Kent to stay as he’s a far better performer under Beale and far more likely to make a meaningful contribution with the free role he is given. As a result he will also become a more sellable asset if he is contracted to Rangers again for another few years. Best case - we get a better version of Kent for a few more years under Beale. Worst case - he signs on, we get a more positive season from him next year and then he leaves for a fee next summer rather than on a free transfer this summer.

No one wanted him before. Why would they want him now. We would need to pay him a signing on fee and give him a rise. For what playing sh%te

Back