Ryan Kent - time for bench

You can have whatever opinion you like, but throwing away a promising player on the back of a poor run of form is insane, especially when he's been at the club such a short time. As for last season, was one of our best midfielders.

It's not on the backbof a poor run of form, since the boy came back to us, he's not kicked a ball in earnest.
He's got everything in his locker to be a very good player, but dosen't seem to know how to use it.
The coaching staff need to tàke the kid to the side and work with him, as there's something not right in the way he plays, as he's non productive in most games.If you've got ability and he has, someone should be able to bring it out of you.?

Been saying to my mates for weeks, he needs a spell sitting watching games from the bench, for his own good,he can’t be enjoying his football just now

Offering nothing , can’t beat a man.

his price tag and SGs blind spot has kept him in team longer than he should have been

form has totally went
He's never been very good. Hopeless in a one v one situation. Can't cross a ball.

He's played well a couple of times v Celtic and that buys a lot of goodwill on here.

No better than Barrie McKay.

Braga play with a back 3 , their formation is made for a confident left sided attacker , Kamberi or Jones

Kent is not confident and can’t take on a man

but i bet he starts and either Arfield or hagi miss out... crazy if it’s Arfield due to his goals

reason I’m saying is I think SG goes with Davis Kamara jack as mid 3 on thurs
Jack is suspended.

Arfield will play.

A young developing player we all pinned our Hope's on, with most of our treasure invested in him. It's been a bit much for him and the manager and coaching staff should realise that. He needs a break/ benched. There is a player in there and he will seve us well in time but hes a young guy at a fuckin huge club with expectations and pressure that are off the scale at this point in our history. A break will go him good.

well said brother

He's struggling at the moment. Probably doesn't help his playing style in the shitty weather and occasional plastic pitch. Granted, we should be getting a better return from him regardless of the conditions but I'm guessing he will improve as the weather does.

No. If that’s what I meant then I’d have said it.

We have senior players who don’t make the squad every week. Kent should be one of them for the next few weeks.

In all honesty, he’s not playing well enough to get into the under 21 team right now.
I would give Kai kennedy a chance before few of them right now ,price tag big names don't matter if your not going it then change is required and young Kennedy for the colts is absolutely quality 17 or not get him in .

Agree not playing well, and a spell on bench might be what he needs, but I think one good game hopefully against braga will get him firing again

It's a hard one because he can change a game even when he's not playing well but he's not been a patch he was on last season , but yeah I think its time to give him a rest .

Offering nothing , can’t beat a man.

his price tag and SGs blind spot has kept him in team longer than he should have been

form has totally went
SGs blind spot FFS. he is out of form, as is the rest of the team. it's not a 'blind spot'. i'm pretty sure Gerrard knows he isn't in flying form. its the same people like you that after 1 game of no Kent you will be wanting Kent straight back in.

The best way to get Kent up to speed and end his run of bad form is to keep playing him. Show him that you think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread and he will respond...eventually. It may well take two or three more games but to drop him is to admit that we made a mistake in signing him IMHO.

For £7 million he should be delivering every week.

I'm a big fan of Kent but his form has been extremely poor for a while and it's concerning.
It's not his fault we paid £7m (about £5m too much) but we need to play to his strengths when he does play
The thing that pisses me off. It's a squad game. We are not using it to allow others to come in and take some of the pressure off those who are struggling.

In his defence, Kent I feel is being harshly treated. Every time he had the ball they doubled up on him. Sometimes even tripled up. This happens most games but others fail to capitalise on the space and the lack of numbers or movement in forward positions doesn’t give him many options. There were many others not contributing other than Kent. Centre halves who don’t burst forward into space through the lines when the chance arises and midfielders lying too deep, coming back to offer themselves for a pass on the wrong side of the opposition front lines so they can work triangles between centre back midfield and wing back, alas with the entire opposition still in front of them. And of course the continued lack of a high press.
It wasn’t the fact Kent went off that changed things. It was going with two up front that changed it in a 4-4-2. That shape suited us. We looked a different team. Kent could just as easily been on the left of a middle 4.

We only got 3 Pts today from the stretch that Kamberi offered when he replaced Kent.
I find the fact we paid anymore than £2m for Kent mind boggling given his current form. £7m is a game winning player and Kent isn’t showing that he’s capable of that!

This witch hunt on Kent is fucking cringeworthy. He is the one attacking player capable of making things happen. It is absolutely embarrasing on Rangers forums the way so called fans single out certain players for ridicule. iI will back Kent because he is a terrific footballer, the same way I backed Borna when many "football" fans thought he was shit. It is clear to see that the other players in the team are failing to make the necessary runs when Kent has the ball. Anyone who has played football to a decent level can see this. Ryan jack is a perfect example of a player who fails to make the runs required and would rather make the safe simple sideways pass, but of course he is one of the few untouchables on forums for whatever reason. And as for Morelos, then I am sorry, he has never been and will never be as good as many think he is.

It will be the tried and tested on Thursday they will likely be recalls for Kamara and Aribo with the latter taking Hagi's place.
I’d be shocked if Hagi doesn’t start on Thursday. Maybe you’re right and SG was resting them today, but I get the feeling he thinks we’ve won a watch with Hagi. Well, maybe not “won”, with a 5M fee looming ;) , but he’ll play him while he’s here.

This witch hunt on Kent is fucking cringeworthy. He is the one attacking player capable of making things happen. It is absolutely embarrasing on Rangers forums the way so called fans single out certain players for ridicule. iI will back Kent because he is a terrific footballer, the same way I backed Borna when many "football" fans thought he was shit. It is clear to see that the other players in the team are failing to make the necessary runs when Kent has the ball. Anyone who has played football to a decent level can see this. Ryan jack is a perfect example of a player who fails to make the runs required and would rather make the safe simple sideways pass, but of course he is one of the few untouchables on forums for whatever reason. And as for Morelos, then I am sorry, he has never been and will never be as good as many think he is.
What ab absolute croc.
Both players you "single out" have and will continue to do more,much more for Rangers than the chap we signed from Liverpool's academy.
Last year the fanboys were giving it "it's the work he does off the ball, that you don't see". This season it's "the opposition are doubling uo and other players aren't helping Ryan".

The truth of the matter is that the boy simply isn't all that good. He flopped at Bristol City for the same reason, he's likely to fail at Ibrox.
Liverpool,must've been wearing ablack &white striped jumper and carrying a swag bag when they relieved us of that money in the summer.

Looks out of sorts and devoid of confidence at the moment. Gerrard seems to want to give players the chance to play themselves back into form rather than take them out the starting XI. In this instance with Kent he needs taken out the starting XI as he's not getting that confidence back and is proving to be frustrating and we all know that when someone is frustrating us we aren't shy at letting them know & that doesn't help the player in questions confidence or self belief.

Hate to say it, but I said at the time £7 million was far too much for him and got hounded on here about it.

Looks like he’s a 1 season wonder.

That is just dung.

Different players but despite Alfie's poor last 3 or 4 games he is a terrific striker who will be sold for £20m plus and have every chance of reaching the top level.

Kent will blow hot and cold for us until we sell him to the English Championship at a loss.

Kent’s price tag is not his fault for 7 Million but I said at the time we should have gone to 3-4 Million tops for him but based on his performances for us on loan we bust the bank to get him based on that.
He needs to go back to basics to what he was doing on loan last season as he looks a completely different player yes we have had some flashes but no consistency imo. He needs to start getting a grip of games as an inform Kent could be the difference.

That is just dung.

Different players but despite Alfie's poor last 3 or 4 games he is a terrific striker who will be sold for £20m plus and have every chance of reaching the top level.

Kent will blow hot and cold for us until we sell him to the English Championship at a loss.

See since you can see into the future have you got Saturdays lottery numbers ??
This thread is a fucking shambles,a utter embarrassment.

Some fans have a cheek to call themselves “Loyal”, Kent is a big game player, encouragement in short supply from some Rangers “supporters”.

Here’s a tip, instead of jumping down a guy or the teams throat because he’s made a mistake, how about encouraging him and singing his name etc.

It’s a horrendous state of affairs when a guy who has delivered time and again in the big games is subjected to the Lynch mob on social media because he’s getting told he’s not hitting the expectations that many thought of him.

Oh and for the record, he was equally inconsistent last season vs some smaller teams yet single handily ended two CFC defenders Parkhead careers, namely Lustig and Boyata.

He was way overrated by loads on here from the start. He has the ability to contribute at Rangers but he never had anything like the ability that many on here thought he did. There were countless posts in the summer saying how we’d flip him for £20m no problem so £7m was nothing. It’s like buying a way overvalued stock because the stock market is crazy anyway and you’ll make money.

Think it was time for the bench yesterday for him, would of maybe gave him that kick up the arse for thursday. Yesterday i would have went with Kamberi or Stewart. But i know id rather Kent playing in the european tie.

I know we like to play this narrow formation but I can’t for the life of me understand why he doesn’t switch to the right now and again and take a man on. On the left he just cuts in all the time. He’s quick enough just to knock the ball past people on the right without much thought.

There’s a big difference between Morelos and Kent off form. You can watch the highlights of the last few games and Morelos at least has good moments. Robbed of 2 goals and set a lot of people up yesterday. Kent barely features in the highlights at all apart from the odd wild shot.

He's a very good player but yes, I think he needs to sit out a game or two. I'd like to see Kamberi in for him for a couple of games - I think he's exactly what Morelos needs up top with him.

I am sure Kent will get back to form. A very capable player but as a winger will have his up and down times.

This thread is a disgrace!

And some fans wonder why young players don't really get a chance at Ibrox? Any sort of dip in form and they have the knives out. There's always a young player that sections of the fans like to designate the whipping boy. Seems like it's Kent's turn.

Kent is going through a period where he's off form. He's a young winger, every winger I've ever seen play at Ibrox has blown hot and cold. It's up to Gerrard to rotate the squad and give him some time on the bench, letting others take some of the strain.

I`m not being wise after the event. I was horrified to learn we had paid £7m. for Kent, but to be fair, I was never a huge admirer to begin with. I`ve always felt his final output fell short of what we need, but as for now, I wouldn`t have him anywhere near the first team squad and I would cut my losses, take what I could get, and ship him at the earliest opportunity.

What ab absolute croc.
Both players you "single out" have and will continue to do more,much more for Rangers than the chap we signed from Liverpool's academy.
Last year the fanboys were giving it "it's the work he does off the ball, that you don't see". This season it's "the opposition are doubling uo and other players aren't helping Ryan".

The truth of the matter is that the boy simply isn't all that good. He flopped at Bristol City for the same reason, he's likely to fail at Ibrox.
Liverpool,must've been wearing ablack &white striped jumper and carrying a swag bag when they relieved us of that money in the summer.
Rubbish! Pure rubbish.

Not defending his performances, but since the turn of the year, basically every team that we have played against has been ultra defensive. Kent's best performances have always come when the opposition opens up and attempts to attack us, leaving space for us to exploit. I have always felt that we are better as a counter attacking team and the current crop of players/system is not suited to breaking down the '10 men behind the ball' strategy of Scottish football. Greg Stewart did more in his brief cameo against Hamilton than Kent has done in 2020, and Gerrard really needs to consider horses for courses. Stewart would play far closer to Alfie and hopefully assist in unlocking defenses like Hamilton or Livingston.
Having said that, I do believe that Kent will play against Braga and hopefully show why we spent that kind of money on him. Gerrard will revert to his 4-5-1 formation for Europe with Arfield in the notional inside right position when we attack and fall into midfield when we are out of possession. Kent will do the same on the left hand side. I think Hagi will be benched for this one.

Yet another pathetic thread from so-called 'supporters'. I've said it many a time on here....some of our support do not deserve good players.

The boy has had a few poor games since turn of the year. But so has the whole team.

Nearly every player has a "he's shit"or "he's past it" or "his legs are gone" thread...even our manager is getting the treatment. If the team are going great then its the board that gets it. I sometimes wonder how many genuine Rangers supporters we actually have on here.

The players that leave (sold or on loan) are all of a sudden world beaters. The ones who are injured get better with every game they miss. The players that are playing are treated abysmally. They are world class one month and sub class the next.

Kamara is 10m then worth nothing. Borna was practically getting driven back to Croatia by some on here and now he is 30m. Davis was awesome before Christmas and now he is too old. I even saw a thread questioning Shagger and whether he is over the hill. Get Katic in, get Katic out. Tav is shit, we miss Tav. I could go on through the whole team with what I see on here.

FFS lads. Get behind our team and support our players. All of them, without question.

I love Kent but he needs 2-3 games on the bench, Kamberi fills in for him IMO after an assured sub appearance yesterday

This thread is a disgrace!

And some fans wonder why young players don't really get a chance at Ibrox? Any sort of dip in form and they have the knives out. There's always a young player that sections of the fans like to designate the whipping boy. Seems like it's Kent's turn.

Kent is going through a period where he's off form. He's a young winger, every winger I've ever seen play at Ibrox has blown hot and cold. It's up to Gerrard to rotate the squad and give him some time on the bench, letting others take some of the strain.

Young, in football terms, is 16-20.
Ryan is, I believe, 22?
He's no youngster and is all the man he'll ever be.
We're running out of excuses for the guy.

IMO the price tag is irrelevant. 1m or 70m if a player is off form, like Ryan has been, something needs to change. Maybe a spell with the second string or coming on from the bench in order for him to get his form back.

Boys clearly got the talent, just having a bit of a tough time with confidence, and its no wonder with people making threads like this

Been with us now nearly two season and his goals and assists record for a front 3 player have been pretty awful.
A terrible investment if you ask me. We need to see if we can get our money back on him.

Back