Ryan Kent to be offered new Rangers contract as champions look to fend off Leeds United interest

BlueMeanie

The winger starred against Celtic and has drawn envious eyes from Marcelo Bielsa in the past.

Ryan Kent has been linked with a move away from Rangers

Rangers are set to slap a bumper new deal on the table for Ryan Kent in a bid to tell Leeds United to get lost for at least another season.
The in-demand Ibrox attacker had EPL scouts on red alert at the weekend after ripping Celtic to ribbons in Sunday’s Old Firm stroll.
Kent is a long term target for Elland Road boss Marcelo Bielsa – who had bids of up to £10m bounced by Rangers last summer.

The Premier League side are gearing up for another attempt at the end of this season despite being told the former Liverpool kid is not for sale.
Ibrox gaffer Steven Gerrard wants Kent on board for the Champions League assault next term and is willing to offer a hike in wages to persuade the wide man to ignore the calls from down south.

The 24-year-old is under contract until 2023 and Gers plan to cash in at some point.

But Ibrox chiefs also want to maximise their profit on the £7.5m signing and starring in the Champions League could sent his value sky-rocketing.

The Light Blues have been working on deals for current stars in the background but with the Premiership in the bag and the Scottish Cup no longer an issue, Gerrard and the board are poised to get down to work.

Defender Connor Goldson is expected to extend his deal as is Glen Kamara and Jermain Defoe’s future is to be addressed but Kent’s situation is a top priority.

Gers legend Mark Hateley has warned he expects Leeds to be banging on the door again this summer after his star turns this season.

Hateley – speaking on his Ten10 podcast – said: “Listen, Leeds have got him on their radar right, they have twice come in for him.

“They will be hoping it’s third time lucky.

“They have done well down in the English Premier League.

“They know what they need, they need somebody that can open something up in the blink of an eye, Kent is the boy that can do that.

“You pay £20m to stick somebody on the bench down in the English Premier League, that is the way it is.

“Kent has got this ability to turn a game in the blink of an eye.”

Ryan Kent of Rangers celebrates scoring against Hibs

Ryan Kent of Rangers celebrates scoring against Hibs (Image: Getty Images)
Fellow Rangers hero Barry Ferguson has urged his old club to resist the temptation to cash in now as Kent has become a crucial part of the club’s success this season.

He said: “I just hope he is one player that the manager is allowed to keep. I’m sure if clubs down south like Leeds and other clubs were watching the game, he was the stand out performer.

“I know Roofe came in and scored a double but for me Ryan Kent was the outstanding player on the park by a country mile.”

Kent is understood to be relaxed about his future and is relishing life at Rangers.

He admitted at the weekend he has been flattered by the Leeds pursuit – but he’s got his sights set on Europe next term.

Kent said: “It’s nice to be linked with other football clubs, the big clubs, but you’ve got to understand the duty of where you’re at and as long as I’m at Rangers I’ll always give 100 percent to the club.

“I love this place and it’s done so much for me. As long as I am here my mind is solely focused on Rangers.

“Is the Champions League a motivation? Massive.”

Kent, Goldson and Kamara signing new deals (as suggested in the article) would be fantastic. Would still mean Morelos, Helander and Aribo with only 2 years left though.

£10m is nowhere near enough for us to consider selling Kent.

Agreed with the poster saying he’s the best player in Scotland on his day. When he’s on it - which is increasingly often - he is unplayable and on a different level. Even when he’s not, he still works incredibly hard for the team.

Some of his performances this year - culminating in yesterday - have been nothing short of sensational. I’m 50 and can’t remember many players with such a devastating combination of skill and pace playing for us in the last 20 years.

A big year in the CL, an extended contract and your are talking record values. But i want him to stay for as long as we can keep him.

Wouldn't be surprised if we put in a 25-30m release clause in, high enough to fend them off for another season but a good deal to tempt English teams.

What a player. Please be true & get him signed up...he deserves it. Ryan Kent is our key player.

No they won’t . He isn’t that type . A player is only worth that if a club bids it anyway . The clause is to protect us
He is a pro footballer mate, there to make money.

There is no player playing here that would agree to a £35m release clause without a huge wage increase.

I'll probably get slaughtered for this but he reminds of a raw Rahim Sterling. Pep took Sterling to a whole new level by adding more goals and work rate to his game.

Kent has the work rate. If he works on being a bit more clinical who knows how far he could go in the game.

Fantastic.

10m is a fucking joke by the way. Insulting, even.

This. I wouldn't sell him for 25M.
We go all out for CL qualification and review our situation after that's decided.
If any stars then want to go, we maximise the fee and sell them on with our best wishes, replacements lined up.
Kent is key for us, no way he's going anywhere for what is effectively EPL buttons.

I'll probably get slaughtered for this but he reminds of a raw Rahim Sterling. Pep took Sterling to a whole new level by adding more goals and work rate to his game.

Kent has the work rate. If he works on being a bit more clinical who knows how far he could go in the game.
Far better than him IMO

According to the Liverpool Echo there is a 20% sell on due to Liverpool if we do sell him so, if accurate, I'm guessing our valuation is far in excess of 10m as we would only really be profiting by 500k at that price. Hopefully he signs a 3 or 4 year deal on improved wages then if anyone seriously wants him this summer then it would cost big bucks to get him.

Ryan Kent has gone from a promising player who perhaps didn’t contribute enough of the tangible qualities of the game, to someone who now effects football matches regularly.

He has grown, developed and I think his next step now is to continue the path of taking on that responsibility to come up with big moments regularly throughout the season.

If anyone is to prize him away, it would have to take serious money and a proper challenge.

Leeds United, is not what I would call a proper challenge. Indeed if I am Ryan Kent, I’m laughing off anyone outside the top 4 in England (Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea).

What are you actually going to get from a career at Arsenal, Leeds or similar middle of the road clubs?

Back