Ryan Kent - why wasnt he subbed earlier (or started from the bench)?

He’s one of the undroppables, if he ever ends up missing for a few games you’ll know he’s almost certainly injured

Bash! Bash! Bash!

We'll support you ever more.
Nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious. He’s been off from all season.

He didn’t look right from the start tonight. The first time he sprinted resulted in him injuring himself. He should’ve been subbed before we were forced into it.

I love Kent, huge fan and probably my favourite player we have tbh

But he is badly needing dropped

hasn’t kicked a ball yet and his mistakes led directly to both of their goals tonight

that said, his new central role is killing him and the management have to shoulder the blame for this. He’s far more suited out wide running at full backs instead of being swarmed by bodies in the middle of the park.

the system is killing us and killing our main threat in Kent

I genuinely thought he was our worst player in the first half, lost the ball for both goals and wasn't making the runs he should be
If he is unfit he shouldn't be playing
100% poor at the second goal but I’m not going to blame him for the first goal for losing the ball in the Lyon half while in build up possession.

Everything good we did in the first half came from Kent. Good change with Aribo for his shot, did brilliantly from a throw in to set up Lundstram who came close then a brilliant touch and strike almost got a goal just before half time.

Certain players seem to escape criticism yet whenever we don’t play well it’s always Kent, Tav or Goldsons fault.

I think because Gerrard trusts him implicitly to grab us something out of nowhere like he has a number of times before, and Kent doesn’t seem like one to shirk a challenge.

Hopefully now he actually gets a chance to rehab properly and come back ready to go, as he’s definitely been playing with an issue for a while from the looks of his performances this season.

Nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious. He’s been off from all season.

He didn’t look right from the start tonight. The first time he sprinted resulted in him injuring himself. He should’ve been subbed before we were forced into it.

Is this the same fella their keeper pulled off a tremendous save from in the first half??

He's certainly not been great this season but he's not alone in that regard.

Giving the players abuse gets us nowhere.

I have no clue why we've been persisting with him through injury. He's clearly not fit, and it's just not necessary to keep risking him when you've got guys like Wright and Sakala waiting to come in. He isn't even that useful to us at this level of fitness. Rest him ffs.

The “He needs dropped” crew are gonna be pining for him back in a months time if he has a hammy injury.

The amount of contribution he has on the park that goes unnoticed for some reason will soon hit them when they see how stale we can be without him.

It wasn't a surprise when we heard he'd been playing through injury in the Old Firm. He just hasn't been right since the Madrid friendly. When I heard that I thought "fair play, he's done pretty well even though clearly not on his game."

But he should have been rested after that. Even if he was still feeling it after the international break, he shouldn't have been playing. We have Scott Wright raring to go, Roofe starting on the bench tonight, Aribo on decent form, and Sakala waiting his turn. It's not the end of the world if this European campaign doesn't go well, certainly not worth Kent aggravating an injury over. Maybe it was a surprise tonight, in which case I take my comments back. But it looks like something that has been on the cards for months at this stage.

I think Gerrard is looking for Kent to play through a bit of a slump!

He was a threat tonight in the first half but lets himself down by conceding possession is risk areas

100% poor at the second goal but I’m not going to blame him for the first goal for losing the ball in the Lyon half while in build up possession.

Everything good we did in the first half came from Kent. Good change with Aribo for his shot, did brilliantly from a throw in to set up Lundstram who came close then a brilliant touch and strike almost got a goal just before half time.

Certain players seem to escape criticism yet whenever we don’t play well it’s always Kent, Tav or Goldsons fault.
He was responsible for both goals though, you can't give up the ball cheaply to that level of team, i dont think Kent gets anywhere near the level of stick Tav gets, if that's him losing the ball for both goals he gets slaughtered
In saying that he is one of our most important players and we need to get him back playing the way he can

Should have been hooked at half time as he was absolutely dreadful yet again tonight.

Totally off it and unless he gets out this slump, there won't be many teams queueing up to pay us even the 7 million that we paid for him.

Gerrard would have kept him on whole game if wasn't for that injury, total blind spot he has for Kent.
Who created most chances? Who brought out a great save from their keeper?

Look at his numbers pal. That’s what forwards are all about. 13 goals and 15 assists in 52 games and he worked like a trojan. What you expecting?
Not getting into that debate but numbers on paper don't show the whole story.

There's a lot more to attacking play than just simply man scores goals or man was last pass before goals

Shocking performance. Gave the ball away on both occasions the cost us the goals. Miles away from the form of last season.
We play the ball to him with his back to goal on the half way line or even deeper, He is too lightweight for that, Now I know that the tactic is to draw out a defender so he can lay it off and we can play in behind but that isn't working either for him or to a lesser extent Alfie.

It's time for a re-think regarding tactics I think we have been sussed.

I dont think this is Ryans fault and any positive play we had in the first half came from him. A "shocking performance" No I dont think so but you are entitled to your opinion.

I understood the old firm as Wright was out and sakala just back fit, but no reason to run him into the ground now.

I want a fit Ryan Kent for as much of the season as possible, even if that means missing a few games now. He's not been at it all season.

Time for Wright and sakala to step up

Let me remind you that we paid 7.5 million pounds for ryan kent. 7.5 million!
And he was worth every penny. He's had a bad start to the season and is carrying an injury - we're all united in wanting him back to his best.

That doesn't mean he wasn't worth the expense - the guy is brilliant and will show it if he's allowed time to get back to full fitness

Do people actually watch games or just base it on if we win or lose? He was by a distance our best player in the first half. It’s not his fault we didn’t get out of our own half in the second.

Do people actually watch games or just base it on if we win or lose? He was by a distance our best player in the first half. It’s not his fault we didn’t get out of our own half in the second.
i don’t agree with your opinion on the first half.

but my post wasn’t about that. It’s about his fitness. He’s carrying an injury. And it’s bit us. But style.

He was at fault for both of their goals and he knows it, you could tell he knew it clear as day for goal 1, before that Goldson played through a great diagonal pass & his first touch was abysmal too! I’ve said it before he is a passenger at present and it’s time Scott Wright is given his chance. Kent needs benched for a period, this injury will now enforce that and the other need to demonstrate to Gerrard we are not a one man team and he just can’t be first pick without earning it with consistent performances.

Jeez what were you watching!!! He cost us the goal from his failure to play an easy pass down our right wing, instead he loses possession, they break and score! Even Kent gestured his admittance to that blatant mistake!!

Gerrard seems to have a massive blind spot with Kent - it’s obvious he’s not up to speed at the minute. I get he can bring something special but we have multiple players that can slot into the position to cover for a few weeks if he’s out.
He needs a spell on the sidelines - for his health if nothing else.

Jeez what were you watching!!! He cost us the goal from his failure to play an easy pass down our right wing, instead he loses possession, they break and score! Even Kent gestured his admittance to that blatant mistake!!
Losing the ball in the opposition half didn’t cost us the goal. Yes, he should have done better there but there’s still seven players who just let Toko Ekambi stroll forward and ping one in the corner of the net from 25 yards.

that mistake also doesn’t change my opinion that he was by a distance our most creative outlet first and our best players

Kent hasn’t got going all season and if it’s injury related then it doesn’t make sense to risk him.

Dont understand why SG continues with him as whenever Wright has played, he’s played really well.

Usually SG is quick to recognise issues but continuing with Kent is doing the team no favours. Time to drop / rest him for a few games.

Just play Wright

Theres something wrong that's not right with Kent at the Mo

Kent is the gaffers golden child. Kent is a shadow of the player he was when we had him on loan.
That’s because he is one of our best players he’s off form at the moment I agree but I have no hesitation in saying he will get his form back he’s too good a player we need to get behind the boy not destroy his confidence.Alfredo went through a spell like that all players do I am not for bashing our players we got beaten by a better team and are a level above us i can live with that it’s football can we just get behind the champions please And stop bashing them.

I don't think the boy is up to full fitness yet. The same thing happened a couple of seasons ago at the same time of year. He had to come off v Livi with a hamstring injury and missed 3 or 4 games. The rest done him well and he came back on fire, scoring 2 at Hamilton. Then went on an unplayable run including skelping Lustig.
He probably needs a couple of weeks rest and slow fitness build. (unless out again with hamstring).

Eh? So we play an unfit player?

If his hamstring has not fully healed, we still play him?
You'd best ask Gerrard and the management team that.

He was supposed to be out of the Celtic game but he wanted to play

We will miss him now that he's out that's for sure.

This is just idiotic. Were you in a coma between August 2020 and May 2021?

Genuinely one of the stupidest things I've read on here.
Kent has always been a bit of target for the people who need a player to moan at, if it's not Tav it will be Kent.

You only need to look at the difference in qualify between him and Wright. Kent can and has performed in Europe, Wright so far looks like he's not ready for that step up, okay domestically though

I genuinely don't think Kent was that bad. He was on fire at the end of last season. Maybe he's been carrying an injury or two since the start of this season, or maybe he's just a few percent off, or maybe he's just played a lot of games. I think the problem is that Wright always makes such an impact when he comes on, it makes it look like Kent wasn't doing much. I'd like to see Kent given a bit of a rest for his sake. Wright is an able deputy.

Not getting into that debate but numbers on paper don't show the whole story.

There's a lot more to attacking play than just simply man scores goals or man was last pass before goals
I know they don’t show the whole story, but are you implying that he didn’t have a very good season last season? If that’s what you think fair enough but it was widely acknowledged that Tav, Goldson, McGregor, Davis and Kent were our best and most consistent players last season. Even with Kent not creating something in a game you still usually got tremendous work rate if nothing else. This season he has been poor though. Strong rumours he had COVID pre-season and you do wonder if something lingered on from that. Playing through injury is never a clever move either, if he was carrying one last night.

Clearly not fully fit and he pulled up last night so he’s probably now out injured.

Wright isn’t a patch on Kent. But if a player is struggling with a niggling injury, then he shouldn’t be playing.

We had Sakala, Wright and Roofe on the bench. They could have started.

Not sure why people can't understand why Kent doesn't get subbed or dropped. On ability alone he's the most skilful and dangerous attacking player in Scotland. You need that on the park even when things aren't working for him, because he can do something in a second that can win you a game. It's as simple as that.

And he looked our biggest threat last night til he went off.

I do agree if he's carrying an injury we shouldn't be risking him though.

Clearly not fully fit and he pulled up last night so he’s probably now out injured.

Wright isn’t a patch on Kent. But if a player is struggling with a niggling injury, then he shouldn’t be playing.

We had Sakala, Wright and Roofe on the bench. They could have started.
we could even have stuck on arfield and moved aribo further forward. There was plenty of options but SG's use of subs, since coming to Ibrox, hasnt improved much.

just because he pulled up last night doesn’t mean we can assume his poor form this season has been down to being unfit/carrying an injury.

that would just be another reason rolled out , and we’re running out of reasons.

Clearly he wasn’t fit. Until he was subbed in the second half he was walking with a massive limp. I lost count of the time he went chasing for the ball and stopped half way there. That’s just not him.
Been carrying an injury since before the last tims game.

With all due respect the league is the priority this season were in the Europa groups which is great and we get the cash boost from that regardless so pivotal players should not be risked for long term injury.

Kent will be done now 3 to 4 weeks minimum.

Been reading for weeks he's carrying an injury. If that's the case and he's now out for X amount of games then that's piss poor player management imo.

Could’ve happened at HT & wouldn’t have batted an eyelid.

Passenger. Wasn’t willing to run at an 18 year old RB who hasn’t even played 10 first team games. (I do concede he looks a right good player.)

Also if it’s injury related, that’s on Gerrard. We don’t need him in these games if he’s not 100%.
He had a good spell in the first half and was unlucky not to score a top save from their keeper.

just because he pulled up last night doesn’t mean we can assume his poor form this season has been down to being unfit/carrying an injury.

that would just be another reason rolled out , and we’re running out of reasons.

Well, given he was carrying an injury against Celtic, apparently a grade 1 tear in his hamstring that was meant to be keep him out until after international break, he played last night and wasn't ever able to sprint at anything close to his quickest and he went off with what looked like a hamstring injury, I think it's a fairly safe assumption.

Back