Ryan Kent

Don't think he's been anywhere near as bad as some people were making out.

Still created plenty of chances that were fluffed or not much more made of by the forwards.
Completely agree. Give me his “off form” any day of the week over most players we’ve watched in the past decade.

I would argue that, aside from his creativity, he’s possibly one of our best defensive players. Constantly pressing when we lose the ball, and if the opposition get through the first line then his work rate chasing back is phenomenal.

Terrific player. Absolutely love him.

Still created plenty of chances that were fluffed or not much more made of by the forwards.
Even when he looks to have dropped a bit from his best, he is still a real grafter who covers the pitch in order to help the team.
He is a real team player and that is why Gerrard likes him.
Indeed that is also why Alfie is on the park in games whether he scores or not.
Working for the team is the Steven Gerrard way.

Completely agree. Give me his “off form” any day of the week over most players we’ve watched in the past decade.

I would argue that, aside from his creativity, he’s possibly one of our best defensive players. Constantly pressing when we lose the ball, and if the opposition get through the first line then his work rate chasing back is phenomenal.

100% agree he presses very very hard. First line of defence as you say.

People get a bit too obsessed with assists and goals.

In the games where Kent allegedly was ‘off form’ he was still creating space for others, stretching defenders and getting in behind. He’s not going to score a goal or make an assist in every single game.

See Morelos at the moment as the classic example of this, someone doing a job for the team and creating space for others to hurt teams.

Another great performance from Kent, Always looking to get on the ball and create things, and as already pointed out his work rate is brilliant when we aren’t in possession. A key player for the team.

Thought he looked a lot more like his best today. Had my worries about him missing that early chance but he deserved that wee slice of fortune for his goal. Definitely gave him a boost.

Should be hitting 15 goals this season.
He bring the X factor to this team .

His work rate today was immense, he’s our first defender .

I know England are a different level to Scotland , apart from sterling , I don’t see any better English players , in the behind the striker position. I said to my mate last week when Belgium pumped them , 10 days ago , Kent & Tav ripped Vertonghen a new asshole.

Thought he looked a lot more like his best today. Had my worries about him missing that early chance but he deserved that wee slice of fortune for his goal. Definitely gave him a boost.

You're making out as if he's been terrible. He's been absolutely fine this season.

He's not one for hiding even when things aren't going his way which is always pleasing to see, always demanding the ball and trying to make things happen. Great player and would be in my team everyday of the week.

People are too hung up on stats regarding players. Kent had a "goal drought" according to Cocker but there is obviously far more than goals to his game.

People question his assists. How many chances does he create that are not converted?

From memory, he was involved in 5 goals against Hamilton. Not direct assists but in the passage of play that led up to the goals.

He terrifies defenders. The space he creates for others by his movement is incredible as time after time he draws players out of position as they try to cover him.

Like every player there is room for improvement but Kent's doing fine. Here's hoping it continues.

Last edited:
Hes much more of a team player now rather than trying to be the star. His work rate is fantastic. Has earned his price tag and then some this season so far. I just worry an english club will be able to offer him money we cant. Hopefully after he gets us 55

agree, he’s just not scored for a run of games.

like alfie he’s a key player & he still contributes even when he doesn’t get numbers himself

Speed and technique the boy has , as well as you say his work rate , make him a superb player and our biggest asset .

He still positions himself too deep and too central for me. He is often on the edge of the D almost playing like a centre mid when we have men forward, whereas I would prefer him to be the one making the runs and pulling defenders here and there rather than playing short passes and almost trying to dictate the play.

He still positions himself too deep and too central for me. He is often on the edge of the D almost playing like a centre mid when we have men forward, whereas I would prefer him to be the one making the runs and pulling defenders here and there rather than playing short passes and almost trying to dictate the play.

Do you think he's doing that on his own accord? That will be what the management team have set him up to do.

He literally scored yesterday coming from deep and centrally :D

Do you think he's doing that on his own accord? That will be what the management team have set him up to do.

He literally scored yesterday coming from deep and centrally :D
I’m aware of that, I’m just calling it as I see it. He does also have license to roam and we’ve seen him do it on other occasions, and he just looks more effective to me when he’s not playing that centre mid style role when we are trying to break teams down.

Personally, I don’t think I’ve seen him have a bad game is season.
Of course, there are times when not everything comes off and it seems like it’s just not going for him but, even then, he’s still buzzing, still causing a threat and still in an opponent’s face when the opposition have possession.
A great team player.

Last edited:
I’m aware of that, I’m just calling it as I see it. He does also have license to roam and we’ve seen him do it on other occasions, and he just looks more effective to me when he’s not playing that centre mid style role when we are trying to break teams down.
It’s not simply “licence to roam”.
It’s a team tactic to have the front four, five or six popping up in every area of the park.
Aribo, Roofe, Morelos, Kent and Arfield covered every position forward of DM yesterday.
The fluidity is brilliant and it’s impossible to mark.

He had a good first half yesterday and was looking to get involved in everything we did, good to see him back to his best

Back