Ryan Porteous needs to grow up and start acting like a pro to fulfil potential says Boyd: right now I wouldn’t bet on it

BlueMeanie

RYAN PORTEOUS is one of the best young defenders in Scotland.
He shouldn’t just be a late call-up for the Scotland squad when others pull out — he should be in there from the get-go.

He shouldn’t just be satisfied with pulling on that Hibs jersey — he should have lofty ambitions of getting to the English Premier League and making himself a fortune by playing at the highest level possible.
I can’t be any clearer when I say Porteous is a talent with so much to his game that can be liked and admired.
Quick, good on the ball, he can pass it, he can head it, he’s strong as an ox and has a tremendous will to win.
But would I bet my last fiver on him fulfilling that potential? I’m sorry, but the answer to that question is a definite no.
I’m not saying this to have a go at the boy.
In fact, I genuinely hope he reads this column and takes on board what I’m saying about him because I’d love nothing more than to see him make the best of himself.

I watch the way he conducts himself and it annoys the life out of me.
He’s a Hibs fan, we get it. He doesn’t like Rangers? Okay, that’s fine.
But he’s also a professional footballer and it’s high time he learned to grow up and start acting like one.
Listen, I’m first to enjoy a bit of banter and I don’t have any problem with people showing their personality. In fact, I’d always encourage it.
But that’s not what’s happening with Porteous. It’s not a laugh and a joke with him.
He’s stepping onto a football park and behaving in a way that’s letting down his club, his manager, his supporters and his team-mates.
But you know what? The one person he’s killing more than anybody is HIMSELF.
His comments after Hibs beat Rangers in the Premier Sports Cup semi-final at Hampden were quite funny, sure.
But did that do Hibs any favours on Wednesday night against Rangers at Easter Road? Did it hell.
The red card he got at Ibrox earlier this season. Did that help the team that afternoon? Of course it didn’t.
Kris reckons Porteous has plenty of raw materials to work with
He went out on Wednesday and did everything he could to draw attention to himself in the first 20 minutes.
In trying to get Gers striker Alfredo Morelos booked, all he was doing was annoying referee John Beaton.
The penalty was a stonewaller and I don’t care what anyone else says.
But Beaton thought long and hard about the incident before pointing to the spot.
Maybe if Porteous hadn’t been noising him up all game he might have looked at it differently.
That’s why I think the boy needs to wise up. The penny needs to drop with him that acting the hard man and clever in front of the cameras is only going to backfire.
Put it this way, do you think Steven Gerrard cares about what he was saying in front of the TV cameras at Hampden?
Let me assure you, he couldn’t have cared any less. Gerrard has been over the course so many times that he would have forgotten about Porteous.

The worry I’ve got is that clubs and scouts looking at him will feel the same.
Players can have all the best attributes in the world — but if people within the game believe there is any flaw, then he’s got no chance.
It would be a crying shame if that’s how things turned out but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he’s not doing himself any favours.
Jack Ross has defended him time and again and that’s because he’s a good manager.
But privately he’ll be having quiet words with Porteous and trying to get into his head.
It’s okay to be aggressive and on the front foot as a defender. But I watch him and it’s like he’s literally going out of his way to act tough.
Trust me when I say this, the toughest defenders don’t smash you and then lean over you and scream in your face.
From my experience, they say nothing, turn and get on with the game. Porteous needs to learn that.
He needs to realise that behaving like a Hibs fan out on the pitch isn’t going to get him to where he should be going.
I’ll say it again, he should be going to the top. He’s good enough in my eyes.

He ticks all the boxes when it comes to what a defender needs to make it at the highest level.
But he needs to get his head straight. If he does, there could be no stopping him.
He should be thinking about how Scotland are just two games away from making it to the World Cup and have it in his head that, if they do, he’s going to be on the plane.
You can’t tell me Jack Hendry is a better player.
But right now he’s a player Steve Clarke looks at and knows he can trust — and he WON’T feel the same about Porteous.
It’s all down to the player himself. If he wants to play at Hibs all his days and run around like a Hibee when he steps onto the Easter Road pitch, then that’s up to him.
If he sees himself as the next Paul Hanlon or Lewis Stevenson, then fair enough.
But I genuinely believe he’s got the potential to be better than that.
I just hope he realises that himself, before it’s too late.

Boys an eejit, he's actually got an opportunity to screw the nut, work on his game and potentially get a championship move in a few years which would set him up for life (he's no there now but he's half decent in spl and got the physical attributes). He's too busy trying to kid on he's a hard man.

Wonder if he’ll DM Boyd and start abusing him then play the mental health card like he’s done with other people who’ve been honest about him in the media? Doubt it.

Reading Boyd, it's brutal thinking that of all the Scottish players in the SPL, Porteous is one of the ones who could get himself a move to England (Championship or maybe low Premiership) and make a load of money doing so. Imagine what a tw*t he'd be with all that money. I reckon he ends up following the time-honored path of Hibs wanks like Riordan, Brown etc and ends up at them though.

Only noticed him against us,
which is dismal,
in saying that,
he no doubt raises his game 200% when he plays us,
reminds me of slightly better than Anton Rogan, but off the same mindset!!

Another ned in a long line of low life scum to come through their ranks.

He won’t fulfil his potential.

He’s a prick and I’m not actually convinced he’s that good.

I think fans like his style, as it’s last ditch - that’s usually an indication that his positioning or speed of thought is a yard off.

You don’t see the best players in the world diving in.

Boyd is correct.

Porteous needs a proper manager to work on his positives and weed out the shite. The boy has talent but he is being fast tracked into obscurity by his manager and the pondlife in his support.

The likes of Ross pandering to him at every turn will do him zero favours. Strangely enough Lennon is the only Hibs manager to call him out for his nonsense

Look at the Hibs twitter feed yesterday with the "Our centre half" tweet. Yeah he is and he cost you a point with his rashness the night before. He's also done McGregor and Forrest of Celtic, Mackay-Steven at Aberdeen and Borna, Alfie and Coulibaly with us.

It's going to take him wiping out an opponent before he curbs his shite

Nope. Porteous may have aspirations of playing in n the EPL but I cannot see that ever happening.

Regardless of his repeated diving in to tackles with the sole intent of hurting people, the careless lazy tackle of the other night, look at the Morelos goal when we beat them there last season.

A clueless, positionally naive player who, at his age, is unlikely to develop or mature into much more than he is now.

Porteous plays to the cameras when he plays against us. I'm sure he's all Billy big bollocks with his mates and 'the burds' around our games, because he gets attention he doesn't get when Hibs play Livi, St. Mirren, Ross Co. etc and he becomes total nonentity again. Thing is, the plastic hard man stuff, trying to wind up our players, the play acting, the laughing at the referee etc actually plays into our hands. If he just got on with the job, he'd be a decent defender. As it is, his antics have won us more points than they have Hibs, so let's hope he keeps it up.

Just look at the difference between him and Souter. Souter looks like the ultimate pro. Fought back from 3 serious injuries and now will have a choice of clubs chasing him.
Somebody else said that Hibs always seem to have a ned in thir team and Porteous is just the latest.
100% if Souter can stay fit he will go far. Certainly wouldnt mind us signing him.

He will probably be at the bheasts next season - they are crying out for a ned bampot since Brown and Lennon left them.

he has had 2 serious knee injuries as a result of his stupidity.

his stupidity will cost him a big money move, all he is a big snide prick!

Going against the grain here. He's a fud of a man and needs to screw the nut. If he actually concentrated on his game instead of acting
the plastic hard man against us, he might actually become someone. At that age time he made a choice.

Can’t see an upside of even English championship he is clearly stupid , yes he is quite sturdy and some passes are reasonably good but he is all desperation and no enlightenment and neither is he quick or aerially strong .
Steve Clarke including him in International squads is quite a call I would say . I think he is motivated by something other than reasoning on that one .
We shall see

RYAN PORTEOUS is one of the best young defenders in Scotland.
He shouldn’t just be a late call-up for the Scotland squad when others pull out — he should be in there from the get-go.

He shouldn’t just be satisfied with pulling on that Hibs jersey — he should have lofty ambitions of getting to the English Premier League and making himself a fortune by playing at the highest level possible.
I can’t be any clearer when I say Porteous is a talent with so much to his game that can be liked and admired.
Quick, good on the ball, he can pass it, he can head it, he’s strong as an ox and has a tremendous will to win.
But would I bet my last fiver on him fulfilling that potential? I’m sorry, but the answer to that question is a definite no.
I’m not saying this to have a go at the boy.
In fact, I genuinely hope he reads this column and takes on board what I’m saying about him because I’d love nothing more than to see him make the best of himself.

I watch the way he conducts himself and it annoys the life out of me.
He’s a Hibs fan, we get it. He doesn’t like Rangers? Okay, that’s fine.
But he’s also a professional footballer and it’s high time he learned to grow up and start acting like one.
Listen, I’m first to enjoy a bit of banter and I don’t have any problem with people showing their personality. In fact, I’d always encourage it.
But that’s not what’s happening with Porteous. It’s not a laugh and a joke with him.
He’s stepping onto a football park and behaving in a way that’s letting down his club, his manager, his supporters and his team-mates.
But you know what? The one person he’s killing more than anybody is HIMSELF.
His comments after Hibs beat Rangers in the Premier Sports Cup semi-final at Hampden were quite funny, sure.
But did that do Hibs any favours on Wednesday night against Rangers at Easter Road? Did it hell.
The red card he got at Ibrox earlier this season. Did that help the team that afternoon? Of course it didn’t.
He went out on Wednesday and did everything he could to draw attention to himself in the first 20 minutes.
In trying to get Gers striker Alfredo Morelos booked, all he was doing was annoying referee John Beaton.
The penalty was a stonewaller and I don’t care what anyone else says.
But Beaton thought long and hard about the incident before pointing to the spot.
Maybe if Porteous hadn’t been noising him up all game he might have looked at it differently.
That’s why I think the boy needs to wise up. The penny needs to drop with him that acting the hard man and clever in front of the cameras is only going to backfire.
Put it this way, do you think Steven Gerrard cares about what he was saying in front of the TV cameras at Hampden?
Let me assure you, he couldn’t have cared any less. Gerrard has been over the course so many times that he would have forgotten about Porteous.

The worry I’ve got is that clubs and scouts looking at him will feel the same.
Players can have all the best attributes in the world — but if people within the game believe there is any flaw, then he’s got no chance.
It would be a crying shame if that’s how things turned out but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he’s not doing himself any favours.
Jack Ross has defended him time and again and that’s because he’s a good manager.
But privately he’ll be having quiet words with Porteous and trying to get into his head.
It’s okay to be aggressive and on the front foot as a defender. But I watch him and it’s like he’s literally going out of his way to act tough.
Trust me when I say this, the toughest defenders don’t smash you and then lean over you and scream in your face.
From my experience, they say nothing, turn and get on with the game. Porteous needs to learn that.
He needs to realise that behaving like a Hibs fan out on the pitch isn’t going to get him to where he should be going.
I’ll say it again, he should be going to the top. He’s good enough in my eyes.

He ticks all the boxes when it comes to what a defender needs to make it at the highest level.
But he needs to get his head straight. If he does, there could be no stopping him.
He should be thinking about how Scotland are just two games away from making it to the World Cup and have it in his head that, if they do, he’s going to be on the plane.
You can’t tell me Jack Hendry is a better player.
But right now he’s a player Steve Clarke looks at and knows he can trust — and he WON’T feel the same about Porteous.
It’s all down to the player himself. If he wants to play at Hibs all his days and run around like a Hibee when he steps onto the Easter Road pitch, then that’s up to him.
If he sees himself as the next Paul Hanlon or Lewis Stevenson, then fair enough.
But I genuinely believe he’s got the potential to be better than that.
I just hope he realises that himself, before it’s too late.
Absolute shite from Boyd... One places for the champions of Belgium the other plays for the 7th best team in Scotland currently.... Hendry is better than Porteous

I’ve never seen anything impressive in Porteus and I don’t think he is capable of screwing the nut and knuckling down to turn himself into a better player. His rash, raw meat challenges and his deliberate niggling behaviour are part of his DNA. Hibs is as far as he’s going. I shudder to think of him playing in a Scotland jersey. He’d probably end some promising foreign strikers career with one of his signature lunging tackles in the full glare of the international media....

Looking forward to Porteous saying Boyd has to grow up and start acting like a pro in an interview at some point against us now. The banter.

Back