Sad Day- Droylsden FC no more

gorams_glayva

Today my local club and the first team I ever watched live, Droylsden FC, resigned from the league and closed its doors. This pandemic has basically turned off any supply of cash to the club, and it couldnt hold on.

Droylsden were excellent hosts to many Bears who travelled to the UEFA Cup Final, allowed a flute band to parade around the pitch (Cambuslang BritanniaI think) and the Butchers Arms pub was packed with Rangers fans for the day.

2 miles from The Etihad...if one City or United player donated a weeks wages the club would not only be saved...but guaranteed an existence for years to come.

I`m totally gutted. The Bloods played there since 1892. Property developers must already be circling.

First I’ve heard of them to be honest.That’s a shame mate.As you say one millionaire in the area could have helped them out.The world is a selfish place now.Honestly hate modern football.Its no longer about the glory it’s all money.First thing mentioned in any big match.How much winner will get how much promotion is worth to them.If it wasn’t for The Rangers I wouldn’t bother anymore.Sad day for you mate.

Sad news but I don't think it'll be the last and as you say even half a week's pay from the superstars would turn sad news to dreams come true. It just shows the damage to the economy this pandemic has caused and if there is another outbreak which results in a lockdown I wouldn't want to think about that scenario

Sorry to hear it mate, I still feel for the handful of locals at Tarff Rovers who were one of Scotland's oldest clubs when they went to the wall a few years ago. Bury are fighting back a bit but it makes it easy to fall out of love with the game when s**t like this happens. For the love of the game seems to be an historic statement getting more meaningless every year.

Sad news when they've probably went out of business for less than a quarter of a weekly wage of some of the higher earners at the two big clubs.

A good friend of mine comes from Droylsden. He's been in Glasgow for years but still talks about the place and the team all the time. Sad day for football when a team go to the wall

Heartbreaking man. The amount of money that could have saved your local is pennies to the big clubs in Manchester. Supposed to be solidarity in the game... don't understand it one bit.

Surely City or United could help out, without the minnows they'll be no football.

City should definitely be helping out, were Droylesden not initially a feeder club for them? I’m pretty sure there are links between the clubs.

sad news, had a cracking day in the club when rangers were down for the final, you would think the 2 manc clubs would put a bit of dosh in to keep them going, even for the pr of keeping a local club in the city going.

This situation totally illustrates what has gone wrong with football over the years. The beautiful game has been consumed by greed and is now dominated by and run for TV money and wealthy foreign investors looking for a return on their money. The rich keep getting richer and the gap between them and the poor is insurmountable. I still have respect for owners like Bill Kenwright, who is a genuine fan owner,, who could probably do without the burden of owning a struggling premiership football club. The same could probably be said for our own board. Players are now moving around like mercenaries, filling their own pockets and those of their agents, without an ounce of loyalty to the clubs that they briefly pass through. As for the smaller clubs, they have no chance. Look at the structure in Scotland, I would estimate that around one third of our clubs must be on the brink. Until a formula is found to a fairer distribution of wealth, clubs will continue to struggle to keep their heads above water and how long will it be before the game dies completely when people get tired of watching the same handful of clubs dominating year after year.

Today my local club and the first team I ever watched live, Droylsden FC, resigned from the league and closed its doors. This pandemic has basically turned off any supply of cash to the club, and it couldnt hold on.

Droylsden were excellent hosts to many Bears who travelled to the UEFA Cup Final, allowed a flute band to parade around the pitch (Cambuslang BritanniaI think) and the Butchers Arms pub was packed with Rangers fans for the day.

2 miles from The Etihad...if one City or United player donated a weeks wages the club would not only be saved...but guaranteed an existence for years to come.

I`m totally gutted. The Bloods played there since 1892. Property developers must already be circling.

My Uncle was a benefactor for them. He passed away last year. Massive city fan. Sad news about them.

That is sad news. Was there no possibility to have some sort of donation page created to help them out?

Did you ask any of the players?

Sorry to hear this news. The future of a lot of clubs at that level must be very precarious just now.

I was in there before the UEFA cup final , we even all met back there after the game and missed all the mayhem as we were walking in the opposite direction , flute band on the pitch was brilliant

Sad news

Sad news.

I was at the function in the ground pre cup final, some sight watching 2 flute bands walk around the pitch (Cambuslang Brits & Pride of the North).

As a result I always kept a sporadic eye on how they were doing.

They hosted us (Gartsherrie) in Manchester like absolute legends.

This is very sad to hear.

I had a ticket and after the game in strolling about Manchester, wrecked, with no charge on my phone - asking local plod if they can tell me names of local football teams hoping that it would reignite my memory so I could get back to my bus.

The cunts kept saying United and City.

I eventually met a lad that supported them and when he said the name Droylsden it made the pain of the game go away. The absolute legend took me back there and we had several beverages before the bus started heading back.

Really sad to hear. Hopefully the clubs we see impacted by this can return in some shape or form in the future

There’s two sides to all stories, I always remember the FA cup game with Chesterfield when Pacey had the lights switched off to have FA cup game replayed when the bloods were getting beat, he has blown fortunes at club, a local lad complained he was only getting 600 a week, always been a mystery where the money came from this is 3 divs below conference,

This situation totally illustrates what has gone wrong with football over the years. The beautiful game has been consumed by greed and is now dominated by and run for TV money and wealthy foreign investors looking for a return on their money. The rich keep getting richer and the gap between them and the poor is insurmountable. I still have respect for owners like Bill Kenwright, who is a genuine fan owner,, who could probably do without the burden of owning a struggling premiership football club. The same could probably be said for our own board. Players are now moving around like mercenaries, filling their own pockets and those of their agents, without an ounce of loyalty to the clubs that they briefly pass through. As for the smaller clubs, they have no chance. Look at the structure in Scotland, I would estimate that around one third of our clubs must be on the brink. Until a formula is found to a fairer distribution of wealth, clubs will continue to struggle to keep their heads above water and how long will it be before the game dies completely when people get tired of watching the same handful of clubs dominating year after year.

Unfortunately mate Kenwright no longer owns Everton, he does still have shares though. Farhad Moshiri is the majority shareholder these days.

Horwich RMI used to give them a doing back in the day :p

Sadly, RMI went bust thanks to the owner selling the ground for houses and moving to Leigh :mad::mad::(

Calton Radio hired the stadium the day of the UEFA Cup final we had Cambuslang Britannia and POTN parade around the pitch. Had a drummer inside doing the fancy stuff with the sticks, spent all day and night in the place minus the game hundreds of bears packed in what a great day.

real shame to see them go.

Had a great time at the stadium before during and after the final, having two flute bands on the pitch as entertainment in glorious weather was brilliant. Like others have kept an eye out for them ever since, so sad to see them go to the wall.

Sorry to hear this,the bus that i travelled down too Manchester on stopped us off at a pub in Droylsden which I can only presume is the pub the op has mentioned.
I was far to old for the bouncy castle but you just do dont you!
Sadly op I dont think Droylsden will be the last club to close as this is bound to be the tip of the ice berg.

Some amount of clubs that side of Manchester. All the pubs round there will be full 3pm on a Saturday watching Premiership. Hopefully they can drop down for a bit to the Manchester League. There's zero support from the big clubs or the FA at the moment.

Non League is getting more and more expensive to run. Most clubs need backers or a big sponsor and with no supporters or social clubs to fund them smaller teams are all screwed. I hope Droylsden have some active supporters as they are the lifeblood.

This is where our bus parked when we went tk Manchester. Looked out for their results since then.

Those who fought long ago to keep football amateur were prophets. I love football and I love Rangers but few could look at the state of the game today and say it is healthy. I had great respect for Queens Park but sadly even they’ve been forced to change. There will be more clubs like Droylsden I’m sorry to say and no one will care until it is a so called “big” club.

Saturday at 3pm as entertainment for a man who’d worked all week has become a cash cow for faceless business.

Back