Article Safe Hands - The Great Rangers Goalie Debate

Im old enough to remember from McCloy in the 80’s to Woods, Goram, Klos, and Shagger and all points in between (Ginsburg, Neil Alexander, Letizi, Charbonier, Foderingham)

But it’s always going to be Goram for me Not just because of this save but a big reason

And he hit DiFannio twice with a ball

Ironic that the picture in the OP looks to be a goal.

We've been fortunate to have many good or even great keepers with a few duds.

Goram
Mcgregor
Woods
Klos

The above 4 are the obvious modern day best we've had.

Charbonnier and Niemi weren't bad and Colin Scott was around for a bit but hardly played. McLsughlin does fine when called upon too. Foderingham was ok, nothing more. Alexander did a good job when called upon also.

Letizi, Bell, Christiansen, Simonsen, Carroll etc need not apply. Billy Thompson came at end of career and less said about Maxwell and Snelders the better.

Also there were aselection of McCloy, Kennedy, Walker, Stewart Ginzburg etc. Stewart I never really rated and McCloy and Kennedy were when I was a young kid. Big Peter known for errors and swinging on the crossbar around that period probably harshly and Kennedy who gave me the fear despite being a decent keeper Wembley aside.

Had the pleasure of meeting Bobby Brown and Billy Richie a few times and they played for legendary sides and deserve to be mentioned.

Dawson and Neef also worthy of mention as historical figures between the sticks.

Goram is my number 1, then McGregor with Klos and Woods tied for 3rd.

Success often stems from being tight at the back and a great keeper helps. Luckily we've had plenty.

I wonder if we will sign a new keeper next season with the United keeper linked and our current number one getting on a bit.

Last edited:
Goram for me just a natural and he was still performing minor miracles with Motherwell when he would have been under more pressure
He wasn't afraid to leave his mark on a forward to give himself an advantage in challenging for high crosses etc
I think he robbed himself of being a true great among the worlds best ever due to not looking after himself

I've seen them all since Erik Sorrenson and Norrie Martin. We had average keepers up until Chris Woods arrived, he was a class apart from those who preceded him. I was dismayed when he left to be replaced by Andy Goram, and three months later was utterly convinced we'd made a huge error. The next five years proved me wrong, time & time again. The Andy Goram I watched in those 5 years is not only the best Rangers keeper I've seen but the best keeper...period.
Stefan Klos was absolutely top drawer as is Alan McGregor.
The best way I can describe our keepers post McCloy is that I've had the utmost confidence in them all and that's all you can really ask for.
I wouldn’t class Billy Ritchie as an average keeper, he was excellent. Martin was a good keeper as was Sorensen who found the step up from Morton a little bit too far. Neef was uninspiring as was McCloy at times but the gas meter could also be very good at times. Walker and Stewart were poor and Kennedy was very good up until Wembley. Woods was a brilliant goalkeeper as was Goram, Klos and McGregor. Alexander was solid enough. Bell is a reminder of dark days as is Simonson.

Rangers record for George Niven below.

His goals conceded include the seven against Celtic in the 57/58 League Cup Final and the 12 against Eintracht in the semi-final of the 59/60 European Cup. But he was braver than brave. If that needed any confirmation then you only have to look back to the Scottish Cup Final in 1953. He sustained a head injury before half an hour had elapsed, but after getting his head bandaged up, he came back out for the second half and defied the Aberdeen attackers. We won the replay 1-0.

AppearancesGoals ConcededShut Outs
League22126067
Scottish Cup323913
League Cup597322
Europe15313

Back