Article Safe Hands - The Great Rangers Goalie Debate

Peter McCloy is criminally overlooked in any debate as to the best Rangers keeper, and I include myself in that oversight.

I only saw the latter part of his career but it's testament to the big fella's ability and professionalism that he was still seeing off challengers in to the mid 1980's. His trophy haul stands comparison against anyone with, of course, being unique as the only keeper to win a European trophy with Rangers.

He's often maligned, ridiculed for his errors but I think (hope) that most of that is with a large degree of fondness in respect of his career with us.

Personally, I'll always hold Chris Woods up against any keeper who has come since. I was 14 when he arrived at Ibrox and he was the first "proper" keeper I had seen here. None of his successors has commanded a penalty box in the way Woods did (pre labyrinthitis certainly) and he was on a par with all as a shot stopper.

As the article says, we usually seem to get it right between the sticks.

Peter McCloy is criminally overlooked in any debate as to the best Rangers keeper, and I include myself in that oversight.

I only saw the latter part of his career but it's testament to the big fella's ability and professionalism that he was still seeing off challengers in to the mid 1980's. His trophy haul stands comparison against anyone with, of course, being unique as the only keeper to win a European trophy with Rangers.

He's often maligned, ridiculed for his errors but I think (hope) that most of that is with a large degree of fondness in respect of his career with us.

Personally, I'll always hold Chris Woods up against any keeper who has come since. I was 14 when he arrived at Ibrox and he was the first "proper" keeper I had seen here. None of his successors has commanded a penalty box in the way Woods did (pre labyrinthitis certainly) and he was on a par with all as a shot stopper.

Agree 100%. Chris Woods also gets my vote as the best keeper Rangers have had, but McCloy certainly was a good goalkeeper, if not perhaps great.

Goram was supernaturally talented.
Anyone who watched Rangers in the 90s know he made breathtaking saves that didn't even make TV, he did it that often.

The level of hand eye coordination required to make some of the saves he made - especially considering his physical limitations - must be somewhat unusual.

I once asked Richard Gough about him and he said he was "undoubtedly gifted with some kind of hand eye coordination ability most don't have, even in training the saves he made."

That's why he'll always be number 1 but Woods, Goram, Klos, McGregor must be the best run of goalkeepers any club has ever had, surely.

Peter McCloy was a very good Goalkeeper, however like all tall keepers, low shots were his Achilles Heal, not his fault just his height working against him.

Peter McCloy was a very good Goalkeeper, however like all tall keepers, low shots were his Achilles Heal, not his fault just his height working against him.

Yeah, very true. Of all tall top class keepers I felt Edwin van der Sar was perhaps the exception to that rule but even he struggled when he got older.

In my lifetime, McGregor.

It’s a shame there’s a lack of bears that seen Dawson, Ritchie or Brown, who could all make a claim for being our greatest keeper.
That's the problem with debating any position.

We are all going to favour our own generations over those we haven't seen. At least now there is more in the way of footage to analyse but it can never be a like for like comparison given how the game changes.

Just talking to the better half and for us in our Dotage another Goalie who never played for Us, yet was a fantastic keeper, wee, agile, was Jocky Robertson of
Third Lanark.

I find it tricky to separate, Woods, Goram, Kloss, and McGregor. McCloy comes way behind that list, he just wasn't very good I'm afraid.

I find it tricky to separate, Woods, Goram, Kloss, and McGregor. McCloy comes way behind that list, he just wasn't very good I'm afraid.
What part of his career did you see mate? I’m not disagreeing with you just like to know if you are an older Bear who seen him in his younger days.

Been lucky to see some top class keepers at Rangers. And a few on my travels watching European leagues.

However Andy Goram is the best I’ve ever seen at Ibrox. He was an incredible shot stopper, superb with the pass back rule that was new to him and his character and personality on the pitch put him a clear best for me.

I love McGregor, and Klos and Woods were superb too, so professional. I saw McCloy a little bit when I was a kid. Charbonnier was a very good keeper and so too was Niemi. Been lucky to see Buffon and Neuer in the flesh in more recent times, Peter Schmeichel a bit back in his day.

I’d wouldn’t swap The Goalie for any of them. Great days.

It’s a shame there’s a lack of bears that seen Dawson, Ritchie or Brown, who could all make a claim for being our greatest keeper.
Billy Ritchie was the first keeper I remember watching, I can't really recall us having a bad keeper

You’ve got a valid point there EB, in my old man’s view Wood’s was the best he saw between the sticks. He always seem to hold Dawson in high regard.

My two cents- it’s Chris Woods all day.
Top 3
Woods
Goram
Kilos.

Last edited:
I've seen them all since Erik Sorrenson and Norrie Martin. We had average keepers up until Chris Woods arrived, he was a class apart from those who preceded him. I was dismayed when he left to be replaced by Andy Goram, and three months later was utterly convinced we'd made a huge error. The next five years proved me wrong, time & time again. The Andy Goram I watched in those 5 years is not only the best Rangers keeper I've seen but the best keeper...period.
Stefan Klos was absolutely top drawer as is Alan McGregor.
The best way I can describe our keepers post McCloy is that I've had the utmost confidence in them all and that's all you can really ask for.

I've saw a few Rangers keepers since I first went to Ibrox in 1960 ,from Billy Ritchie to Mcgregor and I simply cannot separate Mcgregor and Goram, I was talking to Andy the other day as he lives near me, he's looking great.....The saves Mcgregor made against Werder Bremen and Goram from Van Hoydonk were world class and if an England keeper made them they would still be talking abòut them.

I've seen all those listed and for me
Goram
Woods
Klos
McGregor
with McCloy some distance behind.

The fact that Foderingham doesn't get mentioned says it all.

Last edited:
I saw his whole career with us and agree that he was not a very good keeper.
This.
I judge keepers not by the great saves they make but by the mistakes they don't make. Every keeper pulls off great saves, every keeper has great games, but the key is consistency. Peter McCloy had some tremendous games for us, 1973 replay at Easter Road and away leg v Dussledorf in 1979 immediately spring to mind but...he made far too many mistakes and lost far too many bad goals to be considered a great keeper.

Lionel Letizi was utter dross. Bonny Ginsburg was prone to a clanger or two. But in my lifetime of watching Rangers 1983 to today we’ve been well served by our keepers.

I've seen them all since Erik Sorrenson and Norrie Martin. We had average keepers up until Chris Woods arrived, he was a class apart from those who preceded him. I was dismayed when he left to be replaced by Andy Goram, and three months later was utterly convinced we'd made a huge error. The next five years proved me wrong, time & time again. The Andy Goram I watched in those 5 years is not only the best Rangers keeper I've seen but the best keeper...period.
Stefan Klos was absolutely top drawer as is Alan McGregor.
The best way I can describe our keepers post McCloy is that I've had the utmost confidence in them all and that's all you can really ask for.
I agree with this @Alex Venters. I go back a little bit further and, while I did not seem him regularly, I always thought Billy Ritchie was a good and dependable keeper. Thereafter, keepers like Norrie Martin, Erik Sorenson and Gerry Neef were too erratic and we were weaker in the goalkeeping position.

I thought Stewart Kennedy in 1974-75 was a magnificent keeper (better than Peter McCloy) but Wembley 1975 knocked Kennedy’s confidence. Big Peter came back and finally saw off Kennedy. Chris Woods was the first dependable keeper I had seen since the days of Billy Ritchie.

For what it is worth, Goram is the best keeper I have seen playing for us.

Great bit of research by Alastair Aird. I wonder how Billy Ritchie’s stats compare with the others quoted.

Goram is the best keeper I have ever seen playing for us.

Peak Goram was arguably the best keeper in the world at one point. Schmeichel was very good but prone to a clanger. I also think he played at a time where the Premier League was exploding and perhaps he timed it right regarding exposure. If Goram played in that league at that time, then he’d receive far greater praise from those in England.

After that, I’d probably have Woods second on ability, but could say McGregor second based on his service at the club.

I agree with this @Alex Venters. I go back a little bit further and, while I did not seem him regularly, I always thought Billy Ritchie was a good and dependable keeper. Thereafter, keepers like Norrie Martin, Erik Sorenson and Gerry Neef were too erratic and we were weaker in the goalkeeping position.

I thought Stewart Kennedy in 1974-75 was a magnificent keeper (better than Peter McCloy) but Wembley 1975 knocked Kennedy’s confidence. Big Peter came back and finally saw off Kennedy. Chris Woods was the first dependable keeper I had seen since the days of Billy Ritchie.

Great bit of research by Alastair Aird. I wonder how Billy Ritchie’s stats compare with the others quoted.
Thanks. I'll do a bit of digging on Billy Ritchie and post the data early next week.

Good post. I entirely agree everything in it.

Quite surprised by quite a few saying Woods as they would all have seen Goram also.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but for me there is no comparison, Goram was leagues ahead.

Don’t remember anyone pre-woods.

Jerry Dawson and Bobby Brown were regular picks for the Scotland team and I think that Billy Ritchie was also capped.

W.A.T.P.

Goram for me, the amount of times an opposition player was clean through on goal 1 v 1 only for Goram to pull of a wonder save was ridiculous! I've never had that confidence in a keeper before or since.

Quite surprised by quite a few saying Woods as they would all have seen Goram also.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but for me there is no comparison, Goram was leagues ahead.

Don’t remember anyone pre-woods.
He was leagues ahead of the post 1988 Woods. The Chris Woods of 1986-87 was a marvellous keeper and not far behind The Goalie.

Find it quite amusing that people don't think the Girvan lighthouse was a great keeper, he was. But, for me, Goram was the best, McGregor 2nd and another wee mention for Charbonnier, who, I thought was a brilliant keeper but for whatever reason, found himself as 2nd choice. Could also say say the same about Neil Alexander, who was brilliant for us but perhaps a tad unlucky that we also had another brilliant keeper in McGregor vying for the no1 jersey.

Goram was supernaturally talented.
Anyone who watched Rangers in the 90s know he made breathtaking saves that didn't even make TV, he did it that often.

The level of hand eye coordination required to make some of the saves he made - especially considering his physical limitations - must be somewhat unusual.

I once asked Richard Gough about him and he said he was "undoubtedly gifted with some kind of hand eye coordination ability most don't have, even in training the saves he made."

That's why he'll always be number 1 but Woods, Goram, Klos, McGregor must be the best run of goalkeepers any club has ever had, surely.
Given that Goram was more than handy at cricket and golf would back that up.

Not many non-pro golfers will shoot 4 birdies in a row on a championship golf course.

The 'Big Gas Meter' played behind a great defence, but was prone to the odd clanger.
Seen them all since Billy Ritchie. Norrie Martin was a good back up. Sorenson agile but cost us a game v Aberdeen at Ibrox (2-3) where we could have theoretically won the league. Liked Gerry Neef, but from Chris Woods we have had some great keepers. Woods, Klos, McGregor superb, but Puff Candy, the scourge of the Tims gets my vote.
My Dad raved about Jerry Dawson and Bobby Brown and George Niven also got a mention.
WATP

Find it quite amusing that people don't think the Girvan lighthouse was a great keeper, he was. But, for me, Goram was the best, McGregor 2nd and another wee mention for Charbonnier, who, I thought was a brilliant keeper but for whatever reason, found himself as 2nd choice. Could also say say the same about Neil Alexander, who was brilliant for us but perhaps a tad unlucky that we also had another brilliant keeper in McGregor vying for the no1 jersey.
Peter McCloy and great should never be mentioned in the same sentence.
He was a decidedly average keeper.

This.
I judge keepers not by the great saves they make but by the mistakes they don't make. Every keeper pulls off great saves, every keeper has great games, but the key is consistency. Peter McCloy had some tremendous games for us, 1973 replay at Easter Road and away leg v Dussledorf in 1979 immediately spring to mind but...he made far too many mistakes and lost far too many bad goals to be considered a great keeper.
He is the only one to swing on the crossbar though!

I remember watching that England game and at half time and my dad saying Kennedy should be subbed to save his career.

From my memories of watching Rangers (I’m 40). Goram will always be no1 followed by Shagger then Klos, don’t have many memories of Woods. I don’t want to remember some of the others we’ve had

Given 90% of this Forum hasn't seen anyone before Goram is really has to be between him and Klos.

Personally it goes Goram, Klos, McGregor.

We've been ridiculously fortunate in having so many brilliant goalkeepers, even some of our short term keepers like Charbonnier, Waterreus and Alexander did a great job.

Very interesting statistics re Billy Ritchie @ally1978. Lost slightly more than a goal a game although I reckon if you have the Millar Brand Wilson combination hammering the goals in at the other end, it generally did not matter. Thanks for providing the additional information. Apologies for the double post but the phone or fat finger syndrome to blame.

Back