Safe standing set to go ahead in premier League and championship

It's not going to happen. Anyone who wants to stand should just join us in the BF, no torn faced arse is going to tell you to "sit down". If you want to be part of something then join the collective and have as many like minded people together as possible
I’ve started standing further along BF and you can see that the vast majority stand for big games

Some lesser games people from BF3 along sit in front 15/20 rows but European games everyone stands. Feels as if attitude is starting to change towards that

Fire UB in BF3 and I think the atmosphere improves tenfold

I’ve started standing further along BF and you can see that the vast majority stand for big games

Some lesser games people from BF3 along sit in front 15/20 rows but European games everyone stands. Feels as if attitude is starting to change towards that

Fire UB in BF3 and I think the atmosphere improves tenfold
It very much is, I'm row A in BF5 and stand at every game, as do pretty much everyone in my section.

£80 -£100 for a safe standing seat. If the club could find the area to place them in the stadium the fans would pay that themselves. No reason that the club would be out of pocket, charge the same price as before and fans wouldn't care.

Club have no desire to give the fans what they want.

Shite lazy reply.

Just because something isn't the most important thing should it not be addressed? By definition that means only the thing of utmost importance should ever be tackled.
Not saying it shouldn't be done I'm saying it's not top of the priority list, do we have a finite budget I'm not aware of?

It’s more to do with us again being behind the curve when it comes to progressing as a club.
I think we're behind the curve on a number of things, due to where we've as a club the past decade or so.

I'd like to see it, it just can't be top (or near the top) of the priority list just now. Doesnt make sense from a business perspective.

If the fans that want it were to create a fund to pay for it then that's a different matter.

I’d fully support this but the club won’t do it as the club would need to relocate 200-300 fans from BF3 to BF1 to make it happen

The view in Row A of BF1 is better than that of BF3 so the people affected would be getting a better view in return. Club could offer them a slight discount and off-set cost by charging people moving in a one-off fee for the switch

Crystal Palace done similar for their HF group and their atmosphere has improved
Pretty much every club in the world has moved fans to accommodate their groups.

But at rangers it’s “can’t move the fans” even though no one’s one’s the seat
Or it’s “each side of the union bears would be restricted view” funny how almost every club has a group behind the goal with no issues for the fans either side.

The club couldn't be more obvious that they have absolutely no interest is spending money on something that will lose them money (assuming standing tickets will be less than seated).
The tickets wouldn’t be any cheaper.
The folk wanting standing certainly wouldn’t be demanding cheaper prices and knowing Rangers the way we all do, they’d be happy to oblige.

Do the mutant standees get cheaper tickets?

Pretty much every club in the world has moved fans to accommodate their groups.

But at rangers it’s “can’t move the fans” even though no one’s one’s the seat
Or it’s “each side of the union bears would be restricted view” funny how almost every club has a group behind the goal with no issues for the fans either side.
I think the restriction argument is futile considering fans in SW4/5 and main stand sections towards end of the stand currently have their view restricted

Tele flags are visible at away games and to my knowledge, no one cries too much about it.

I’ll not lie, I used to find it a pain in the arse having flags in my face during the game or tele flags/2sticks being kept up at corners/free kicks/penalties etc but it didn’t bother me back in the lower leagues

Our board have made it obvious they don't want it at Ibrox which is a complete slap in the face to fans in my opinion.

The demand is there 100%.
I take it that your use of ‘100%’ means that there is a definite desire for it among a section of our support and not that 100% of our support want it.

£80 -£100 for a safe standing seat. If the club could find the area to place them in the stadium the fans would pay that themselves. No reason that the club would be out of pocket, charge the same price as before and fans wouldn't care.

The problem we have is our club is founded by pioneers. We were the first Scottish club to do so many things , we still break records now thanks to the fans. We were always about being a step ahead.

If we are financially hamstrung then we all accept we can’t make certain improvements we’d all like to see an extra 10,000 capacity, walkway, train station, pedestrianisation of the surrounds of Ibrox and so on. Reality tells us we can’t do it.

But safe standing? If I’m wrong I apologise but I believe the club HAVE had this costed, it was much cheaper than what was expected, and it’s still not something our board are interested in. You then wonder why we bothered getting the quote at all.

We should be putting money into better facilities for the handicapped as a priority, and we should also be forging ahead with safe standing for at least half of the broomloan front.

Are we , a pioneering club , really going to stand back and have the likes of aberdeen, Dundee United and the rest have safe standing while we look on? As it currently stands, probably.

I just don’t understand it.

The tickets wouldn’t be any cheaper.
The folk wanting standing certainly wouldn’t be demanding cheaper prices and knowing Rangers the way we all do, they’d be happy to oblige.

Do the mutant standees get cheaper tickets?
It's not going to make any more money though, no increase on capacity so its a spend with no return in the eyes of the club.

It very much is, I'm row A in BF5 and stand at every game, as do pretty much everyone in my section.
I'm not against the idea of safe standing at all but seeing the repeated posts like this just had to comment that its all a bit self-fulfilling. Obviously if a few folk stand up then everybody else around them has to stand up as well as they don't get to see the game otherwise. Indeed we had a poster on the seat relocation thread wanting moved precisely because his age/illness made it impossible to stand for 90 minutes and he was, basically, seeing very little of the game as a result. I'm not sure we should be reading that as everyone in BF5 (in your example) wanting to stand up.

All that said, I favour a safe standing area for those who want it. As mentioned earlier in the thread though I'm sure I read something suggesting we'd need to rip up the concrete and redo all the steps because they weren't wide enough to comply with Safe Standing Regs. Can't recall where, and it may even have been 'disinformation from Rangers - didn't we do some sort of initial investigation at some point - but it was out there somewhere.

It's not going to make any more money though, no increase on capacity so its a spend with no return in the eyes of the club.
Upgrading concourses falls under that bracket yet people want the club to do that?

I've sat in this seat since dickety three dagnabbit and I ain't moving for those that want to enjoy themselves corn sarnitt.

Last edited:
I'm not against the idea of safe standing at all but seeing the repeated posts like this just had to comment that its all a bit self-fulfilling. Obviously if a few folk stand up then everybody else around them has to stand up as well as they don't get to see the game otherwise. Indeed we had a poster on the seat relocation thread wanting moved precisely because his age/illness made it impossible to stand for 90 minutes and he was, basically, seeing very little of the game as a result. I'm not sure we should be reading that as everyone in BF5 (in your example) wanting to stand up.

All that said, I favour a safe standing area for those who want it. As mentioned earlier in the thread though I'm sure I read something suggesting we'd need to rip up the concrete and redo all the steps because they weren't wide enough to comply with Safe Standing Regs. Can't recall where, and it may even have been 'disinformation from Rangers - didn't we do some sort of initial investigation at some point - but it was out there somewhere.
Is that not if they wanted to do a 2:1 ratio for each place with 2 levels to each row like they do in Germany?

Rangers used to be in the forefront of match day experience and innovation now its full of can't do that negative characters they have safe standing at every Premier league ground now soon to be championship clubs. No beer sit down and be quiet it is now at Ibrox in non European games.

Is that not if they wanted to do a 2:1 ratio for each place with 2 levels to each row like they do in Germany?
I've no idea mate. I've had a trawl around to see if I can find where I read it. It wasn't just a punter's opinion on here though, it was something more 'official' than that. Probably 4 maybe 5 years ago? My recollection is it may have been from Rangers because there was a suggestion on here that they were being a bit 'misleading' with the info.

Nobody else seems to recall though, so it has me doubting myself.:confused:

Last edited:
It would be helpful if Stewart Robertson would confirm to the fans that the club will not be implementing safe standing because of X, Y & Z - whether that be because we can't afford it, there are structural issues, or safety concerns or whatever. Instead we continue to be treated as useful idiots by our board and get fed utter guff about working parties being set up to consider safe standing.

£80-£100 for a single game?

Think UB have offered a few times.
I refuse to believe it’s been shelved because a few fans sung a naughty song about Steve Clark 5 years ago.

There has to me more to it. Over to Stewart robertson to explain.

I had a season ticket in CF5, CF1 and CR1 back in the day, I've seen and heard the aggression towards those who want to stand, I've had it directed at me. I'm not speaking for everyone in BF or even my section but the attitude I've experienced is different. I'd say those who may be unhappy are in the minority and don't feel like they can speak up and tell people to sit. If they, like the poster you reference want to move elsewhere then its progress in my book.

I don't think safe standing would make any difference to the atmosphere.

The Union Bears stand and sing every game anyway. The atmosphere isn't going to change because they stand next to a different type of seat. It will be shit for most league games and great on big European nights and Old Firms if we are winning just like it usually is.

I refuse to believe it’s been shelved because a few fans sung a naughty song about Steve Clark 5 years ago.

There has to me more to it. Over to Stewart robertson to explain.
It’s an easy excuse to use rather than admit it’s because they don’t want to upset fans by relocating them.

There would be interest from fans all over the stadium and it’s a logistical nightmare the club can’t be bothered with. Easier to say no than open Pandora’s box

I fully stand with the UB on the matter of safe standing but I honestly think pressure needs to come from normal fans for the club to notice. It’s easy to palm off and say it’s only UB that want it, if there was thousands of normal fans emailing the club about it they’d take note

Would be interesting to know what a conversion would cost?

Fundraiser by the fans, for the fans.

It’s badly needed

Serious question - why do you think it’s badly needed?

Don’t the Union Bears all stand (safely) for the full game just now anyway?

Serious question - why do you think it’s badly needed?

Don’t the Union Bears all stand (safely) for the full game just now anyway?
It’s not overly safe standing behind the seats, it’s roughly mid-shin for anyone 6ft+

The Union Bears stand and sing every game anyway. The atmosphere isn't going to change because they stand next to a different type of seat. It will be shit for most league games and great on big European nights and Old Firms if we are winning just like it usually is.
Its not just about the UB, if you get more like minded fans congregated in one stand like at aways then the atmosphere is going to improve, a few thousand voices are louder than a few hundred.

This board have been saying for the last seven years that they’re going to improve the disabled facilities in the stadium.
Disabled facilities are appalling and do not comply with UEFA Regulations which might, one day, bite us on the arse if they choose to enforce them. I'm sure long-time campaigner @forlanssister could confirm that. Addressing that is, without a doubt, a priority ahead of safe standing - as much as that will irritate some. Be great if we could address both but, as is becoming apparent, the finances simply are not there to do so at this moment in time.

Disabled facilities are appalling and do not comply with UEFA Regulations which might, one day, bite us on the arse if they choose to enforce them. I'm sure long-time campaigner @forlanssister could confirm that. Addressing that is, without a doubt, a priority ahead of safe standing - as much as that will irritate some. Be great if we could address both but, as is becoming apparent, the finances simply are not there to do so at this moment in time.
The difference is, safe standing would be fan-funded and the club wouldn’t need to pay a penny towards it.

Can’t comment on disabled facilities but I can’t see the club upgrading them if it means they need to remove seats to do so. At a time they’re rinsing fans for every penny, how could they possibly justify getting rid of any seats?

Thats the issue though! Fans are standing at seats that aren't designed for it. How many times have you went arse over tits during a game. SAFE standing is a must.

The difference is, safe standing would be fan-funded and the club wouldn’t need to pay a penny towards it.

Can’t comment on disabled facilities but I can’t see the club upgrading them if it means they need to remove seats to do so. At a time they’re rinsing fans for every penny, how could they possibly justify getting rid of any seats?
We are going to have to address the disabled facilities at some point - that's a UEFA requirement I'm sure, whereas Safe Standing isn't. I'm not against SS, simply saying its 'down the list' (in fact, for the Board it might not even be on the list:rolleyes:). Disabled facilities, toilets, replacing old/damaged seats, other 'essential' maintenance etc etc.

I like the fan funding idea but refer back to my previous posts about a 'report' that only I seem to recall. If I'm wrong then the fan funding might be an incentive to the Board to address it. If I'm not then the costs would be too much for fans to cover.

Back