Sakala must be raging

All individuals must be sacrificed for the greater good. If our manager thought Sakala should have been taken off then I support him.

In theory.

Id wager his numbers are better than Kents this season and far less game time. He's become a whipping boy after any bad result. We had pages full of praise when he scored in the OF a few weeks ago but now he's shite because we lost
Kents numbers might not be great but his overall play is incredible.

Numbers might be low because of players miss chances he creates etc

Sakala flatters to deceive. He's a poor player unfortunately. He's got pace but his control and decision making let's him down.

During the game last night he got pelters from Barisic twice for not making runs. Tav also gave him it tight as he was standing out wide at a free kick and tav was telling him to go through the middle. He looked lost.

The manager makes the decision he thinks is best. Unfortunately we lost and we are all gutted.

He's always maintained Morelos is a poor finisher, as in not a natural finisher, his technique while hitting the ball etc. He's never IMO said he was a poor player though
Probably just came across that way to me. Always felt like he gave him a hard but can't remember exactly what he said

Kents numbers might not be great but his overall play is incredible.

Numbers might be low because of players miss chances he creates etc
That's the same for all players. The facts are on average if your creating opportunities consistently they will average out

Penalty taker or not, we've all watched Sakala this season. His finishing is erratic and that's being kind.

The idea that him being a nailed on scorer in the shoot out is ludicrous.
The Dutch are a precise football nation , I’m not saying there’s not a role for Sakala , but at times he looks like it’s his first ever game.

Gios late subs were strange imo
If we get beat of hearts this place will be mental
I thought he had all the subs pretty much spot on with the exception of Sands. I maybe would have brought on Ramsay instead of Arfield but the Davis sub was spot on and Roofe and Arfield worked as they scored the penalty. Sands was bizzare

Show me the numbers

talk me through the games Sakala has influenced, talk me through his contribution in Europe?

Sparta Prague away, leading the line up front, stinking, utterly rotten, no out ball.
Brondy away, out wide, lost, dribbling the ball out of play - he was taken off for who.... who had just come back from injury and then proceeded to drag us back in the game.... oh aye him.
Braga away, Sakala up top, again, rank, a bounce board for the ball to come back to us.
Braga at home, players literally having to tell him where to run
Leipzig away, decent clearance for the goal they scored... nah not really.
Leipzig home, missed a sitter to bury the game, one on one, all the time in the world to end the game, nah - again no impact what so ever and letting the ball come back to us
Last night, zero

Now Kent

Changed the game and got us back in v Brondby, set up our goal
Was outstanding in both legs against Dortmund, easy one of the best performers over the two legs
He took Red Star to bits at Ibrox
Braga home, a constant out, getting us up the park, keeping them pinned in
was excellent against Leipzig at home with AND without the ball, and that bit is important

But aye Sakala scored v Motherwell eh

I'll be disappointed if Sakala is with us after the summer.

If everyone was fit, he'd probably never got on the pitch in the first place.

talk me through the games Sakala has influenced, talk me through his contribution in Europe?

Sparta Prague away, leading the line up front, stinking, utterly rotten, no out ball.
Brondy away, out wide, lost, dribbling the ball out of play - he was taken off for who.... who had just come back from injury and then proceeded to drag us back in the game.... oh aye him.
Braga away, Sakala up top, again, rank, a bounce board for the ball to come back to us.
Braga at home, players literally having to tell him where to run
Leipzig away, decent clearance for the goal they scored... nah not really.
Leipzig home, missed a sitter to bury the game, one on one, all the time in the world to end the game, nah - again no impact what so ever and letting the ball come back to us
Last night, zero

Now Kent

Changed the game and got us back in v Brondby, set up our goal
Was outstanding in both legs against Dortmund, easy one of the best performers over the two legs
He took Red Star to bits at Ibrox
Braga home, a constant out, getting us up the park, keeping them pinned in
was excellent against Leipzig at home with AND without the ball, and that bit is

Kent has 3 goals and 19 assists
Sakala has 7 and 12

Though they are different players they are both wide forwards. Kents opportunities in the team are very consistent. Sakalas aren't. He makes cameos. Taking this into consideration on paper who would you have in your team? It would probably be a toss up between the two. However, if you read the response to the two players seasons they are markedly different. I'm pointing out this is harsh, based on the above. People like yourself tend to focus on sakalas poor touches negatively and Kents step overs positively and this forms your perception. Really we should be looking at active contributions as per the above

Sakala has 7 and 12

Though they are different players they are both wide forwards. Kents opportunities in the team are very consistent. Sakalas aren't. He makes cameos. Taking this into consideration on paper who would you have in your team? It would probably be a toss up between the two. However, if you read the response to the two players seasons they are markedly different. I'm pointing out this is harsh, based on the above. People like yourself tend to focus on sakalas poor touches negatively and Kents step overs positively and this forms your perception. Really we should be looking at active contributions as per the above

Come on, you’re actually serious on this?

Sakala has 7 and 12

Sakala has scored more than that TBH you have missed out his "numbers" against Stirling and Annan, while he was putting up those "numbers" Kent was tearing teams apart in Europe, what are Sakalas "numbers" in Europe? levels

Who would I have in my team out of Kent and Sakala, are you still on the cans aye?

Sakala doesn't get consistent games because his performances are often rotten

I'd take Kent all day as a player the point I'm making is the two on paper aren't that different in terms of contributions but they receive very different feedback

Their contributions are hugely different, hence the contrasting feedback.

Kent has been integral to arguably our most consistent period ever in Europe (culminating in a Final) - not only his attacking play but the defensive discipline/work that is required.

Sakala runs around. Even the manager starts Scott Wright instead.

Their contributions are hugely different, hence the contrasting feedback.

Kent has been integral to arguably our most consistent period ever in Europe (culminating in a Final) - not only his attacking play but the defensive discipline/work that is required.

Sakala runs around. Even the manager starts Scott Wright instead.

Sakala has 7 and 12

Hugely different? Really?

Of course Kents a better footballer but he cost 7mil. I'd expect him to be I'm just challenging your notions of slagging sakala when on paper his contribution is akin to kents

He has every right to be raging. He takes pens, so it made no sense to take him off and leave Kent on who could hardly walk.

Every sub apart from Davis were wrong, the Sands sub was shocking and a signal we were not even trying to win the game in the 90 mins.
Sands came on after 101 mins.

Other than the goal our best chances (Kent and Tav FK) came in the last few mins. Not saying those chances were down to Sands but doesn’t exactly support your argument that his introduction was shocking

Sakala has 7 and 12

Hugely different? Really?

Of course Kents a better footballer but he cost 7mil. I'd expect him to be I'm just challenging your notions of slagging sakala when on paper his contribution is akin to kents

Yes, hugely different - if you watch the games.

Sakala looked so lost and his 'danger' comes from how unpredictable he is - defenders have no clue what he's going to do. The problem is often he hasn't a clue either - there's no method or plan to his movement or touches.

Fully support taking him off as wasn't adding anything to the team. I'd have brought roofe on sooner mind you, Ramsay turned out to be a waste.

Hes really not a very good footballer plenty effort but thats it im afraid,he and other fillers will be binned before season starts.

He has every right to be raging. He takes pens, so it made no sense to take him off and leave Kent on who could hardly walk.

Every sub apart from Davis were wrong, the Sands sub was shocking and a signal we were not even trying to win the game in the 90 mins.
Was the Sands sub not to get Lundstrum back into midfield? The way the back four passed the ball all night we needed a Lundstrum or Sands to move the ball better.

Sakala has no right to be "raging." His first touch was all over the place and his decision making let him down once again. I appreciate it's humiliating for any substitute to be subbed off, but he was not playing well. It was yet another performance where he didn't look close to being a professional footballer.

I feel sorry for all the players, myself and all the supporters.

What happened to Sakala was football and it felt like the right decision at the time. I'm sure he will get over it.
Yes, true but did you see his wee face walking round the touch line? So sad. It’s the only time I have not seen that famous Sakala smile

Anyway, I watched the game on BeIN Sports and Nigel de Jong and Nick Summerbee thought Sakala was the only player we had with positive intentions of scoring. Ah…. What might have been. Still gutted…

Sakala is a quite a positive person by the looks of things but he was not a happy person when he was leaving that field last night. Quite right, I would've taken a chance with him taking a penalty rather than Ramsey.

Sakala is a quite a positive person by the looks of things but he was not a happy person when he was leaving that field last night. Quite right, I would've taken a chance with him taking a penalty rather than Ramsey.
Ramsey, before last night, was 7 from 8 on penalties. Probably the highest success ratio in our squad. Sakala 5 from 7.

Personally I wouldn't have had Ramsey - or Roofe for that matter - taking a penalty unless he'd been on at least long enough to get into the game. Both should have been on at least 5 minutes earlier (though perhaps Roofe wasn't able for even that).

All individuals must be sacrificed for the greater good. If our manager thought Sakala should have been taken off then I support him.

In theory.
Agreed. Couldn't care less if Sakala is 'raging' to be honest.

Has bringing on a substitute for a penalty ever worked for a team?

Sometimes switching keepers for penalties works, as they have the back up keeper focus on pens the whole week in training. Netherlands done that. Krul for Cillessen.

Sakala unfortunately is simply an erratic player who seems to lack the footballing intelligence he needs to properly harness his natural abilities.

For a guy with so much pace to burn, the amount of times he drifts deep and just aimlessly hangs around, rather than making runs behind or on the shoulder of defenders for teammates to make passes is crazy.

On several occasions I've watched Tav give him pelters for not making obvious runs.

He manages to get goals, so fair play that he's got something, but he's never a player I'm particularly keen to see thrown into big games because he really isn't someone I feel has a clear and reliable effect. He's just kind of "there".

I think we need to be looking for better honestly.

Back