Sakala must be raging

I must admit I thought Sakala was poor last night but whether he should have been taken off for a supposed penalty taker is a different matter.

The Sands sub was bizarre the guy offers nothing at all.
Sands coming on allowed us to change shape and gain a bit of control over the game from that point on mate. Went to a back three and pushed Tav and Borna on.

I think his best performances for Rangers have been through the middle, though he rarely gets a start in the position or completes a game playing it. I dont think hes played 2 games on the bounce as CF, this despite him scoring and creating a lot and us not actually having any other strikers.

He doesnt seem the sort to be annoyed but he has ever right to be wondering what he needs to do to get a fair chance.

Bringing on an unfit and as yet unproved, in a Rangers shirt, Ramsay looked like a bad move and obvs it turned out to be that and then some.

One of Sakala's qualities is his willingness to keep persevering regardless of how hes playing, he obvs has plenty belief in himself and I wouldve backed him to score a pen for sure.

Id like to see him start Saturday and get the 90mins.

Yep I agree if I was him and I expect he will feel the same I would be knocking Gios door for an explanation,really embaressing for him.
And rightly so. Ramsey strolls about as if its ore season. Guys a shambles. Cany stand him hope hes nowhere near the team against hearts

He has every right to be raging. He takes pens, so it made no sense to take him off and leave Kent on who could hardly walk.

Every sub apart from Davis were wrong, the Sands sub was shocking and a signal we were not even trying to win the game in the 90 mins.
I was annoyed at the Sands sub at the time, but it was his pass to Roofe that set up the Kent chance.

He has a one in three strike rate in spite of never getting a run of games and playing wide.

He played crucial parts in games v scum, Aberdeen, hearts and Motherwell this season. He's not the finished article but as a club we need to be taking on players and improving them. He was free. I've seen far bigger names with bigger price tags not contribute as much as he has this season.

Being thrown on with 15 minutes to go every fortnight is a tough gig. It's also his first season in a new country. I think you need to view the Fuller perspective and not have your sole focus on a few mislaid passes or mistimed runs.

Our whole team cost 13million, we're not going to be signing run of the mill like maupay or Watkins because they cost double our squad.

If you take the time to watch his game you'll see when he's on the pitch we create far more opportunities. To say wel be fucked is reactionary claptrap.
If Sakala is the answer, I dont want to know what the question is !

He is a very limited version of Nacho Novo - with a catchy song.

Yep I agree if I was him and I expect he will feel the same I would be knocking Gios door for an explanation,really embaressing for him.
He'll get a fairly straight forward answer. "You were ineffective for the 45+ minutes you were on the park and I backed the guy with 70+ international caps to take a penalty."

It is hardly like he was hooked after a 20min sub appearance.

Don't like to slate any of the players, but Sakala was dreadful last night. Constantly giving the ball away and putting us under pressure by handing them the opportunity for counter attacks. A few times Tav or Lundstram had a line to pass to Sakala, but I just don't think they trust playing it into his feet sometimes when there's a risk of him losing it in a dangerous position for us.

I would have rather Ramsey hit the penalty than sakala tbf. Piss poor effort from Ramsey. Easy to say now that Roofe should have been on far earlier

Saw Ramsey this morning in Seville. He looked utterly gutted.

Fair play to fans who were there giving him plenty of encouragement, especially as his kid was there (I assume it was his kid)

Sakala looks like a great guy but he cannot lead the line.

Roofe done more in 4 mins than Sakala done in 30.

Saw Ramsey this morning in Seville. He looked utterly gutted.

Fair play to fans who were there giving him plenty of encouragement, especially as his kid was there (I assume it was his kid)

Sakala looks like a great guy but he cannot lead the line.

Roofe done more in 4 mins than Sakala done in 30.
I felt for Sakala, but that highlighted line is pretty close to the truth.

Id wager his numbers are better than Kents this season and far less game time. He's become a whipping boy after any bad result. We had pages full of praise when he scored in the OF a few weeks ago but now he's shite because we lost
I wasn’t saying he’s to blame. Just stating he’s not very good.
There’s a reason Kent plays every week.
There’s a reason Sakala doesn’t.
Kent can control a ball, pass and beat a player.
Sakala can’t.

Sakala is a modern day Ted McMinn

Last edited:
I think his best performances for Rangers have been through the middle, though he rarely gets a start in the position or completes a game playing it. I dont think hes played 2 games on the bounce as CF, this despite him scoring and creating a lot and us not actually having any other strikers.

He doesnt seem the sort to be annoyed but he has ever right to be wondering what he needs to do to get a fair chance.

Bringing on an unfit and as yet unproved, in a Rangers shirt, Ramsay looked like a bad move and obvs it turned out to be that and then some.

One of Sakala's qualities is his willingness to keep persevering regardless of how hes playing, he obvs has plenty belief in himself and I wouldve backed him to score a pen for sure.

Id like to see him start Saturday and get the 90mins.
Agree, he is far from perfect but he causes defenders problems. Last night at times you could see Frankfurt defenders worrying about his pace.

Disagree. Hes a poor player and had a poor game. His disappointment should be at himself.

I would've had zero confidence in him bagging his penalty
You would have had zero confidence in one of our top scorers this season, who rarely starts, converting a penalty?

Thats an incredible take

What specific tactics should we have employed instead? The fact it took penalties to separate the teams kind of shows he did something right?
Exactly, I have said before, if Kent scores everyone would be praising his tactics. Came down to individual moments the manager couldn't control then pens. Even if we won the pens no one would be talking about them. Too many players didn't play to their best or I believe we would have beat them

I wasn’t saying he’s to blame. Just stating he’s not very good.
There’s a reason Kent plays every week.
There’s a reason Sakala doesn’t.
Kent can control a ball, pass and beat a player.
Sakala can’t.

Sakala is a modern day Ted McMinn
At the risk of repeating myself:

Kent
3 goals
19 assists

Sakala
7goals
12 assists

If sakala can't control a ball then wtf is Kent up to

Sakala just isn't good enough. Hes a trier, much like Wright is a trier - both incidentally are past the age where I see them developing much further.

There's an argument for keeping Sakala domestically, however in Europe he's been shown to be miles off the level of Roofe, never mind Morelos.

There's no argument for keeping Sakala* for the league. Yes, he's capable of scoring, but his first touch, ball control in general and decision making are poor. Scoring against Celtic and a couple of goals in games after the league was already done don't really mask that he's nowhere near good enough for our first team.

*Except we're not likely to receive many offers for him.

You would have had zero confidence in one of our top scorers this season, who rarely starts, converting a penalty?

Thats an incredible take
Yes. I have zero confidence in him as hes a bad player with very little technique. Theres a reason why he rarely starts and a reason why he was subbed back off.

Finishing ability in open play (which his is poor) doesnt always convert to penalty taking ability

Incompetent player with incompetent finishing having an incompetent game and you would have confidence in his penalty taking? Sorry, for me that's an incredible take

I feel sorry for all the players, myself and all the supporters.

What happened to Sakala was football and it felt like the right decision at the time. I'm sure he will get over it.
If it was the right decision why not put Ramsey on first instead of Sakala?

Gios decisions baffle me at times. I actually thought Sakala went off because he got injured

People keep saying he takes penalties for Zambia which is fair enough, but got to say I’ve only seen him hit one for them and it was a shocker the keeper really should have saved so with that on my mind and his rather erratic way of shooting I wasn’t exactly brimming with confidence at the prospect of him stepping up anyway.

At the risk of repeating myself:

Kent
3 goals
19 assists

Sakala
7goals
12 assists

If sakala can't control a ball then wtf is Kent up to
"Assists" are nonsense. Kent assisted twice in the Semi final at Ibrox, assisted in Dortmund; are you suggesting those stats prove Sakala is a more effective player out of them both?

That's exactly the point. Just my opinion but Ramsey switch was not obviously needed.
Despite the way the numbers went up, I think the original sub would have been Roofe for Sakala but Borna going down meant another player was required in the minds of the coaches.

Yes. I have zero confidence in him as hes a bad player with very little technique. Theres a reason why he rarely starts and a reason why he was subbed back off.

Finishing ability in open play (which his is poor) doesnt always convert to penalty taking ability

Incompetent player with incompetent finishing having an incompetent game and you would have confidence in his penalty taking? Sorry, for me that's an incredible take
His goals to game ratio suggests otherwise regardless of his performance on Wednesday

Back