Sakala starting for Oostende away to Gent

Anyone care to explain what the hell goes on with the Belgian league, its all completely split up. Brugges were miles ahead and overnight their lead at the top has been cut?

Anyone care to explain what the hell goes on with the Belgian league, its all completely split up. Brugges were miles ahead and overnight their lead at the top has been cut?
Its dead simple:eek:. Top 4 enter the Championship Play-Offs:

Championship Playoff

The point system in the championship playoff is the same as during the regular season, except that each team starts with half of the points they won in the regular season, rounded up to the nearest integer. The points gained by rounding are deducted in the case of a tie.

The top four teams from the regular season enter the championship playoff, with the first-placed team winning the championship of Belgium. Each team plays their opponents twice, and the teams are ranked by points, points from rounding, wins, etc. as in the regular season.

Championship Playoff

The point system in the championship playoff is the same as during the regular season, except that each team starts with half of the points they won in the regular season, rounded up to the nearest integer. The points gained by rounding are deducted in the case of a tie.

The top four teams from the regular season enter the championship playoff, with the first-placed team winning the championship of Belgium. Each team plays their opponents twice, and the teams are ranked by points, points from rounding, wins, etc. as in the regular season.
And here I always thought the spfl was overly complicated lol

Championship Playoff

That is bloody bizarre

Championship Playoff

And I thought the Scottish system was bad!

Championship Playoff

No wonder football is dying.

Championship Playoff

%^*& me, I thought our split was bad but this is just ridiculous. Rounded up to the nearest integer, I mean are we writing code or running a football league.

Then don't half the points tally :D
I agree, it's stupid but that wasn't the bit that was being queried!

I guess the idea behind it is it keeps teams at the top interested after they've won the league comfortably? If teams knew their lead would immediately be halved or worse after the split then they'd not down tools and there would be less dead rubbers.

To be fair it's absolutely needed, how else you halving 69 points? Someone kicking about on 34.5 points doesn't really work so they're rounding it up to 35.
One team finishes first in the pre split games on 70 points and the team in second end on 69 yet both end up with 35 after the split.... Then say the team on 70 points end up losing the league by a point to the other team who had 69 points. The team who had 70 have a better goal difference and head to head record....yet still lose the league because the other team have gained a point they didn't earn. Utter madness

Sakala getting awarded with something before the game along with Jack Hendry. Was that for 100 appearances or their player of the year?

One team finishes first in the pre split games on 70 points and the team in second end on 69 yet both end up with 35 after the split.... Then say the team on 70 points end up losing the league by a point to the other team who had 69 points. The team who had 70 have a better goal difference and head to head record....yet still lose the league because the other team have gained a point they didn't earn. Utter madness
No mate. The points would be divided as you say and then the teams in the top four have their play-offs, just as we do. In the scenario you describe both would go into the play-offs on 35 points. If the team that was second finishes the play-off round 1 point ahead then they win. They'd have gained more points in the play-off matches than the others. However, should the teams finish level on points the team who 'gained' by being second, and having the split point rounded up, then lose the title as the rounding-up is the first tie-breaker:

The points gained by rounding are deducted in the case of a tie.

That's how I read it but, my God, it is a convoluted system.

No mate. The points would be divided as you say and then the teams in the top four have their play-offs, just as we do. In the scenario you describe both would go into the play-offs on 35 points. If the team that was second finishes the play-off round 1 point ahead then they win. They'd have gained more points in the play-off matches than the others. However, should the teams finish level on points the team who 'gained' by being second, and having the split point rounded up, then lose the title as the rounding-up is the first tie-breaker:

The points gained by rounding are deducted in the case of a tie.

That's how I read it but, my God, it is a convoluted system.
Jesus give me the top and bottom six any day of the week!

0-1 to Gent an absolute sublime chip for the goal.

Sakala is playing as a lone central striker, missed a good chance and the ball is no really sticking to him so far

Back