Sakala-Take a bow

He's clearly not the finished article but you can easily see why Gerrard brought him here. Hopefully with regular game time and good coaching we will have a real asset on our hands in this guy.
He’s a good player to have and has some great qualities, but he definitely needs to learn when to lift his head and make the pass. Surely the temptation to hold onto the ball too long can be coached out of him.

I must have watched a different game. I thought he was really poor, his decision making especially. Constantly shoots when he has better options, and looks for a pass when he should be shooting.

The boys very raw. He stepped up a level in the 2nd half but we need much much more from him. I don't think he ran at that Livi defence once the whole 1st 45. He has pace to burn, looks technically sound, but needs to work on his game IQ for me.

How is that idiotic? He’s passed up a lot of good chances since he arrived by putting his foot through the ball either shooting straight at the keeper or high and wide. Tonight he did some great work drawing defenders out with his positivity and energetic running but then held on to the ball too long and the chance for a decent pass was gone.

No, I like my players to make the right choices a good amount of the time, and to create and score goals. Saying he was amazing or whatever is more idiotic when he never actually scored or created the winning goal in the end and took the wrong option various times. So I don’t agree.

The keeper tipped a fabulous shot over the bar after he picked the ball up by chipping it over a Livi player and running half the length of the park being chased the whole way. I suppose you'd have preferred him to pass it to Goldson or Bassey.

The keeper tipped a fabulous shot over the bar after he picked the ball up by chipping it over a Livi player and running half the length of the park being chased the whole way. I suppose you'd have preferred him to pass it to Goldson or Bassey.
I’d have preferred him to go low or wider where it’s harder for the keeper to get down to the ball. Are you going to refute any of my points or is it a straight case of “he made the keeper make a save therefore isn’t wasteful and doesn’t need to make better decisions”?

Wright beat the keeper tonight and it was cleared off the line. Did he have a good game?

He’s a good player to have and has some great qualities, but he definitely needs to learn when to lift his head and make the pass. Surely the temptation to hold onto the ball too long can be coached out of him.
In all seriousness with the dross going on around him tonight no wonder he held onto the ball. He has a inner confidence about him, that's a great asset to have and I'm sure he will improve with regular game time.

Only one with pass marks for me. Kept going, worked hard. Only reliable threat on goal. Just needs better decision making when shooting. Either shoots too early or leaves it too late. Easily motm tonight

Last edited:
In all seriousness with the dross going on around him tonight no wonder he held onto the ball. He has a inner confidence about him, that's a great asset to have and I'm sure he will improve with regular game time.
I’ll take someone running at defenders and asking questions and making them work, over someone playing short passes or going back the way for 90 minutes any day, which (tin hat on) is something Kent tends to do when he’s out of form.

Fans saying he was outstanding is bizarre to me.

Was dangerous but incredibly wasteful.

Outstanding for me is one or two goals / assists. Making good decisions, getting his head up and not turning the ball over.

Some of his touches are incredible. I love how direct he is and always goes for goal no matter what. Doesn’t turn back and he’s no afraid to have a pop. Can be a little bit rash on his finishing but I’m positive that’s going to improve.

I’ll take someone running at defenders and asking questions and making them work, over someone playing short passes or going back the way for 90 minutes any day, which (tin hat on) is something Kent tends to do when he’s out of form.
Any good coach will tell you If things aren't coming off then get back to basics and up the work load......it will come.

Struggling to see how he displaces Kent or Morelos long term.

All depends on how happy he is being second choice in two positions, can’t see it changing.

Tireless. Regardless of his attacking threat, he wants to work for the team. Was excellent in seeing out the last few minutes down that left flank (sad that we had to do that!).

Fashion was the only player who was consistently making anything happen for us until Arfield popped up with a piece of off-the-cuff magic. Can he improve? Yes, should have got shits away sooner a few times. At one point went central and got tangled up with Roofe when he should have gone left and allowed Roofe to play him through. But his play was consistently pushing us in the right direction towards that breakthrough goal. Direct opposite could be said of Wright and Itten.

I am a big fan of fashion but I didn't think he had a great first half. Made a number of wrong decisions when in good areas and missplaced passes. However he still caused Livi problems overall as the were terrified of his pace.
I've been calling for him to be a starter for weeks. He offers more than Wright and Kent imo.

Brilliant tonight. His drive from halfway and shot saved was top notch. Never stopped working never shyd away brilliant.

Comfortably his best performance for us. Showed a willingness to backtrack too and to decent effect. Wee man will frustrate at times but then if he was finished article he wouldn’t be with us or in Scottish football. Him and Kent going full tilt could be nightmarish for full backs :)):))

Still think he’s raw but has all the attributes to be a great player for us. The things he lacks, time to shoot, bit erratic, can be worked on but he has a great work attitude that is something you either have or don’t have.

I’d have preferred him to go low or wider where it’s harder for the keeper to get down to the ball. Are you going to refute any of my points or is it a straight case of “he made the keeper make a save therefore isn’t wasteful and doesn’t need to make better decisions”?

Wright beat the keeper tonight and it was cleared off the line. Did he have a good game?

3 points so Im happy. Have a good night. WATP

Not denying his commitment or that he’s dangerous running at people but he’s got miles to go with his end product. Not nearly delivering enough of it for all his endeavour.

Cut inside, ran into traffic and lost the ball far too often.

He was our best player by a mile. Felt he could have got a shot off a few times and made a couple of wrong decisions, but on the balance he was causing them no end of problems.
Agree here could have took a shot earlier or pass

But he was a danger defenders hate him

I like him

He's frustrating at times but any time he's on the ball something happens.

Motm for me. The pace, the unpredictability, the way he can intercept passes and start attacks.

My one criticism would be that he should put the ball in earlier/get shots away quicker. But if he was the perfect player he wouldn’t be with us.

Livi didn't have a clue what to do with him when he was going at them.

Motm for sure.

I must have watched a different game. I thought he was really poor, his decision making especially. Constantly shoots when he has better options, and looks for a pass when he should be shooting.

The boys very raw. He stepped up a level in the 2nd half but we need much much more from him. I don't think he ran at that Livi defence once the whole 1st 45. He has pace to burn, looks technically sound, but needs to work on his game IQ for me.
Whit? He ran at them all night!

I'd keep him on the left and fire Kent out right to try that. Kent seems more comfortable cutting in on his left.

Every time he’s in the ball he’s positive and driving at the opposition, the only threat our front 3 possessed tonight

He can be very raw looking at times and very frustrating, but what separates from other guys who aren’t regular starters are his desire and bravery imo.

When he’s sloppy and gives it away, he fights to get it back. When he gets tackled by full back, he still runs at him the next time.

He is also a threat at times, as well as being frustrating - so you always know he’s on the park no matter how he’s playing, as he makes some sort of Impact, which can’t be said of some others.

The chance that he created for himself in 2nd half from half way line was fantastic. If not for a finger top save that would have been up there for goal of the srason

Watching Sakala, reminds me of watching school kids who are just let loose on the the park with nothing but their love for the game and any talent they possess, no tactics, no team talks……but just as watching these kids is great fun, so is watching Sakala. His attitude is infectious and if he could only display a bit more control, both of the ball and in his final decision making, we could have unearthed a pure diamond…….he’s certainly won over the fans already, don’t think anyone dislikes him.

Last edited:
He is the type of player that you don't know what he is going to do. Kind of like no one used to know what McMinn was going to do.

He was driving us forward when everyone else seemed to want to play the pass to the side or behind.

His decision making needs some work, a couple of times he should have teed up a shot for another player instead of looking for the shot. But that will come, he is still young also.

Back