Sakala

Unfortunately if you want to win trophies you can't have inconsistency .

Our team this season can be summed up with the word inconsistency. Apart from the defence which has largely been abysmal.
We won scottish cup last season with inconsistency , europa league final in an inconsistant year.

That’s the biggest issue really, and I find it staggering so many are completely fine overlooking it. To a lot of fans all that matters is the number on the excel sheet at the end of the season, doesn’t matter how the goals came about, who they came against or if the player in question failed to do it in the biggest moments that decided the destination of silverware. Forget any context at all; just focus on that number and forget the rest.

Baffling. But then as some other bloke said, I think it’s a bit of a comfort blanket for some fans who can’t deal with where we are, while others who’ve backed him to the hilt are just too stubborn to admit he’s a bit of a choker in the big moments and when we really need him. Look at the shite Van Vossen got for that miss 30 odd years ago. Fashion has managed that twice in a matter of weeks but it’s all good because he’s a happy happy and his tally looks decent at the end of a trophyless season. Quality.
Kris Boyd ring any bells, scored once against celtic in a game that didnt matter, wouldnt start him in europe. But against every other team he would start as he knew where the back of the net was.

Sakala poses a threat direct fast so against the spl teams yes , against celtic and europe no.
Morelos missed sitters but hailed on here.

Do i rate Sakala no, does he score goals yes, do goals win games yes

When the big moments come in big games he misses the sitters. If Rangers have any ambitions to win titles, Sakala will be moved on the summer.
Bud Johnston was a wonderful player. I remember a game against Celtc, at Hampden. A big game. He was inside the 6 yard box, the ball came to him and - Bud being Bud - he decided to be a smart arse, by trapping the the under his studs, before turning it in to the open goal. But the ball went under his studs; chance gone.
Johnston was a FAR better player than Sakala. But he missed a FAR easier chance against Celtic than Sakala ever has.

l like Sakala. I'm delighted he's a Ranger. I hope he stays.

Kris Boyd ring any bells, scored once against celtic in a game that didnt matter, wouldnt start him in europe. But against every other team he would start as he knew where the back of the net was.

Sakala poses a threat direct fast so against the spl teams yes , against celtic and europe no.
Morelos missed sitters but hailed on here.

Do i rate Sakala no, does he score goals yes, do goals win games yes
Kris Boyd scored big goals in big moments including cup finals that delivered silverware. Can’t recall him missing open goals in cup finals and semi finals.

Footballers don't miss chances anymore. They score with 100% accuracy and if they don't then it's because they're shite or they're bottlers or whatever other insult you want to throw in.

I mean the manager himself said Sakala has been "hugely effective" in his time here, but I guess others know better.

Never in my life have I been so conflicted by a player

He can look like a Sunday league player at times but then almost always influences the game with a goal or assist

I was shouting for him to be subbed after the first 15 mins against hearts then he goes and scores

Will be an important squad player next season

Holy shit. Id bet my life you prefer a silky winger/striker that beats 3 men then hits a clean strike into the net, then runs back and defends like his life defends upon it.

Footballers don't miss chances anymore. They score with 100% accuracy and if they don't then it's because they're shite or they're bottlers or whatever other insult you want to throw in.

I mean the manager himself said Sakala has been "hugely effective" in his time here, but I guess others know better.

Well said mate.

Hardly a fluke, he did really well to make the space and got it past he keeper and under the defender. There was a good bit of fortune with the second one seeing as it was a bit of a blunder from the keeper.

But I’d trade these sorts of goals for putting the ball in the net when we really need it. Our players are great and doing it when it doesn’t matter.

TWo goals that dont count. Sakala aint cool.

Great input mate. Its a discussion point. If you've got something to say then say it, instead of this snidey smart arse response. Op has made a valid point worthy of discussion.

I feel the same op. Can't figure him out. Great involvement and numbers, regularly a nuisance, but a bit shite at the technical aspect of the game and decision making. Decent option from bench.

He’s proven he can’t be relied upon to take chances when important. Hopefully his numbers good enough to see someone come take him off our hands.

Kris Boyd scored big goals in big moments including cup finals that delivered silverware. Can’t recall him missing open goals in cup finals and semi finals.
Sakala hasn't been here 2 years yet. What cup final goals did Boyd score in his 1st 20months at the club?

A better question would be how many times did we exit cups with him missing two open goals?
Against Celtic definitely none as he wouldn't of been on the pitch. He was a man down v them. Sakala has more v celtic already than Boyd. Boyd was extremely effective v the shite, as it turns out Sakala is also. If we reach cup finals v Queen of the South and Dundee Utd id be quietly confident Sakala will deliver

He was a freebie from the Belgian equivalent of St Johnstone. And folk here are suggesting they *expect* him to have a conversion rate 3x better than Haaland’s!

This board is insane. All we can establish here is some posters simply will NOT change their mind or give an inch even when the facts are slapping them in the face.

“I won’t I won’t I won’t I won’t I won’t I won’t!”

Never in my life have I been so conflicted by a player

He can look like a Sunday league player at times but then almost always influences the game with a goal or assist

I was shouting for him to be subbed after the first 15 mins against hearts then he goes and scores

Will be an important squad player next season
I think that's called, 'being damned by faint praise'. At the moment, he's pretty much our #1 striker. It's hard to believe that we had a dynamo like Sakala, a finisher like Colak and a striker with the pedigree of Morelos, but struggled so badly, on so many occasions this season, to put the ball in the net. It's bordering on criminal.

Same again,people go on about numbers,he’s scored goals,runs about and smiles,he’s not good enough for Rangers,not whats required,his numbers looked good this year as we’ve been crap in front of goal,he’s missed so many chances that we can’t afford to squander next season.If his numbers are that good and he is this player then we will get good bids for him?,same about a couple of others in the squad who people only look at and go on about numbers,yet no clubs ever come in for them?.we need to view his actual play and misses in games and his game play,he’s poor and not near good enough in my eyes anyway.
Jesus Christ that was incredibly difficult to read

I guess he could check back and play a safe sideways or backwards pass instead. But he’s positive, drives at defences and is unpredictable.

Enough raw material in him to be worth keeping against spl jobbers.

Utter nonesense had plenty of inconsistent players over the years that have been massive for us and won plenty
Anyone who witnessed an an early Davie Cooper will back you on this.

Not that I’m comparing the two players ability wise of course.

Our team this season can be summed up with the word inconsistency. Apart from the defence which has largely been abysmal.
Despite this, the defence lost about ten goals less than the scum.
However we scored over twenty less.
Goalscoring is a much bigger problem for us than conceding which, undoubtedly was bad enough.

Aye but he nearly missed one of them and the keeper should've done better with the other so ye canny really count them...or something.
The first finish was shocking.
Massive target and he nutmegs a player on the line?
One of two obstacles and he nearly made one count!
That was much more luck, which every striker needs, than design.

Goals against them were in meaningless games. Not sure what part of that is hard to understand.
Okay, we need to rewrite our history books .
I wonder how many goals we’ll need to take from McCoist from 83 to 86 because a helluva lot would have been in “meaningless” games.
Ditto Johnstone because we had plenty of “meaningless” games between 70 and 74.

Scottish Cup semi final is not meaningless,no goals against them are meaningless.Crucial goals against the sheepshaggers side Hibs too plus all his others in the spl.Not sure what part of that is hard to understand.
There are no such things as meaningless games or meaningless goals.
Only some that are more important than others.

There are no such things as meaningless games or meaningless goals.
Only some that are more important than others.
Exactly. And we can't trust Sakala in the ones that are more important than others, is the point people are making I guess.

But he's also rotten in lots of the meaningless ones too to be fair. That one on one sitter vs Aberdeen for instance.

It's a fun game watching him about to pull the trigger and deciding if the shot is going out for a throw in or if it's one of the 1 in 5 that's going to go somewhere close to the goals.

Sakala is the absolute definition of an enigma IMO. He can be excellent at times and he can be dreadful at others, sometimes even in the same game.

He’s not good enough to be a starter for us but I wouldn’t be disappointed if he was kept as a squad player for next season because he does produce goals and assists when he plays.

Exactly. And we can't trust Sakala in the ones that are more important than others, is the point people are making I guess.

But he's also rotten in lots of the meaningless ones too to be fair. That one on one sitter vs Aberdeen for instance.
The issue I have is that too many so called Rangers fans like to focus on the negatives.Forget the good stuff but have a pile on for any mistake.Thankfully there was no social media around when mcCoist was our striker,he would have been hounded out of the Club for all the sitters he missed before finding his feet.

It's a fun game watching him about to pull the trigger and deciding if the shot is going out for a throw in or if it's one of the 1 in 5 that's going to go somewhere close to the goals.
It’s much better than watching £7m Ryan Kent doing the same thing while knowing that one in five would be a monumental improvement for him.

I can understand why some think he may make it with us.
For me, he will cost us big games. If we are to be number 1 we need better, all over the park.
At very best, a squad player coming on from the bench. But we have limited wage funds.

Okay, we need to rewrite our history books .
I wonder how many goals we’ll need to take from McCoist from 83 to 86 because a helluva lot would have been in “meaningless” games.
Ditto Johnstone because we had plenty of “meaningless” games between 70 and 74.
There are players that can do it when the pressure is on, and ones that can't.

I don't really know how anyone can claim that Sakala has so far proved he can do it when the pressure is on. Bar forcing an own goal in a semi final.

Sakala has given us much more than Kent this season but a lot of the Sakala haters on here were all for giving Kent a new contract. Why, because Kent had a good game 2 years ago and Sakala missed a chance against them. At least Sakala gets in the positions to get chances.

The points total this season wins the league most years.

We just havent done the damage against that mob when it mattered

Back