Sam Allardyce: Manager rules himself out of Scotland job

rangeral

Former England manager Sam Allardyce has ruled himself out of contention to be Scotland's next boss.

The 62-year-old took charge of just one game as England manager after taking over in July last year - a 1-0 win over Slovakia in September.

Scotland are looking for a new manager after Gordon Strachan left his position last week, four days after the team failed to qualify for the World Cup.

"It's very tempting but not at this moment in time," said Allardyce.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek programme, he said: "My parents are from Scotland and my sister and brother were both born in Scotland so my heritage is from there.

"At this stage I'm enjoying not being involved at the front end of football at the moment. David Moyes would probably be my choice for the Scotland job."

Asked if he would be interested in going back into management again, he added: "I don't know. You've always got to have someone else to want you to get a job.

"At this moment in time I would be very picky and choosy about any potential managerial jobs if I was to go back in, so that makes it very difficult.

"You never know what might come up, but if it is something where I could bring a lot of success then I could be interested."

He would have got us qualifying for tournaments.

The SFA are praying NI fail in the playoffs so they can move for O'Neill.

"It's very tempting but not at this moment in time," said Allardyce.
means "£10 a week and a squad of pub players, feck off"

When he 'retired' did Palace not get a clause that he couldn't take another team for 2 years? I'd assume any team would have to pay Palace something, which I don't think Scotland have money for.

He will be waiting till he gets the call in a few months to save some team from relegation from the EPL with a huge bonus if he manages it.

Come January, a premiership team in trouble will get him in. He’ll save them from the drop, He’ll earn hinself several million £. Not a bad for six months work.

Someone with mentally challenged connections will fill the bill,big McKay might just get it full time.

Why would the NI manager want the Scotland job?
He'd have more fun with NI...and I doubt the SFA will pay much more.

I really don't know but looking at the evidence, it's suggests O'Neill is in their plans.

If it was Moyes or Lambert, they could be hired now.

I'm sure Scotland could pay bigger wages than NI.

I’ve pretty much lost any passion I once had for Scotland nowadays.

If that prick got the job I’d be done completely.
I’m the same, no danger could I support a team managed by him, hate him with a passion

Think the Scotland job has become a bit of a novelty. Too much Timmy influence both in the team,which probably explains why we're out,and within S.F.A. for me to be interested. Not keen on any of the candidates mentioned and as for Allerdice,least said the better.

Think the Scotland job has become a bit of a novelty. Too much Timmy influence both in the team,which probably explains why we're out,and within S.F.A. for me to be interested. Not keen on any of the candidates mentioned and as for Allerdice,least said the better.
You may at least spell his name correctly.

Remember this is Sam who has just walked away from a job which paid 3m basic with a 1m survival bonus. He wouldn't get out his bed for 500k a year which is what Strachan earned.

Hardly surprising.

Regardless of what he says, Sam will be back managing - but it certainly won't be for Scotland.

He'll have EPL offers sooner or later - as he always does.

I think we will have to brace ourselves for a seriously underwhelming appointment at best or another Celtic placeman at worst.

I really don't know but looking at the evidence, it's suggests O'Neill is in their plans.

If it was Moyes or Lambert, they could be hired now.

I'm sure Scotland could pay bigger wages than NI.

What evidence is their that suggests they want O’Neill? Genuine question as I haven’t paid any attention to the reports.

What evidence is their that suggests they want O’Neill? Genuine question as I haven’t paid any attention to the reports.

i am thinking the same as you tbh why would a northern irishman leave his country to manage scotland?

i am thinking the same as you tbh why would a northern irishman leave his country to manage scotland?
The only thing in the SFA’s favour if they genuinely do want him as manager is the fact he lives in Edinburgh. Other than that I have no idea why he would want the Scotland job over the one he has right now.

The only thing in the SFA’s favour if they genuinely do want him as manager is the fact he lives in Edinburgh. Other than that I have no idea why he would want the Scotland job over the one he has right now.

If Norn Iron don't make the World Cup he may think he's taken them as far as he can.
Scotland job is a big challenge, more prestigious and will pay a better salary. And as you say he already lives in Edinburgh

If Norn Iron don't make the World Cup he may think he's taken them as far as he can.
Scotland job is a big challenge, more prestigious and will pay a better salary. And as you say he already lives in Edinburgh

I would have thought he would be looking for a club management role after the NI job. I would presume that the NI FA would be keen for him to stay on there so for him to leave that post for another home nation would be a big call.

Back