Sam Cosgrove rejects move to French side Guinigamp

As much as I dislike the guy and hate Aberdeen, isn't it a bit bizarre giving the guy pelters for not upping sticks and moving to a different country, different language and a different culture. If he's loyal to Aberdeen then that's commendable despite being a horrible club. But he will probably be hoping to stay in the UK especially if he has a young family. Just maybe the lads got his head screwed on.
I predict somehow this isn’t about him being loyal to Aberdeen. A similar offer from the Championship and he’ll be away down south.

Mate your talking about elite wealthy clubs, you cant compare that with a donkey from aberdeen going to the 2nd div in France.
Yes you can as the fee is relative a second division French club paying the market vale for the player ! It is very relevant

A better goal scorer, but not a better footballer.

Goals win games. He's hit over 20 goals the last two seasons and his all round game is improving each season. He's still only 23.

How often have Dykes and Kamberi hit double figures in a season?

* Not a signing suggestion before people lose their shit.

He knows that some English teams are sniffing about, he'll have his heart set on that and a bigger wage.

Goals win games. He's hit over 20 goals the last two seasons and his all round game is improving each season. He's still only 23.

He is awful, Aberdeen’s tactics are for him diving about gets fouled and they then pump the ball up to him, terrible terrible player

Nice wee town, Guingamp, and the club punches well above its weight. But he’ll end up in Div1 or lower reaches of the championship. Glad to see the back of him, tbh.

Nice wee town, Guingamp, and the club punches well above its weight. But he’ll end up in Div1 or lower reaches of the championship. Glad to see the back of him, tbh.

Be delighted to see the back of him before the 1st august, not a great player by any means but causes problems.

It actually angers me , that’s a team and lifestyle people would give their right arm for . Guinigamp is in Brittany in north west France free from all the bullshit going on in the south and around Paris and with a settled wee community of less than 10,000 people . They have culture and castles and it’s an hour back to the uk if need be . I cannot understand knocking that back . Fcking absurd .
to stay in Aberdeen. HAHAHAHAHAHA

It actually angers me , that’s a team and lifestyle people would give their right arm for . Guinigamp is in Brittany in north west France free from all the bullshit going on in the south and around Paris and with a settled wee community of less than 10,000 people . They have culture and castles and it’s an hour back to the uk if need be . I cannot understand knocking that back . Fcking absurd .

You could count on one hand the number of young players in recent times who have taken a chance to make something of themselves outside of the UK. It's not just a different culture society wise either, playing in other leagues broadens your playing experience and gives you something a bit different from every other guy that ended up holding out for a big move to er... the championship.

I know Cosgrove is English but young Scots are the same. When you look at countries like Belgium and see their players going to teams all over Europe, you start to understand why the skill gap is only growing.

How many penalties? Not arguing your point, just genuinely intrigued. I seem to remember his first season was padded out with a lot of goals from the spot.

Kamberi is far better technically btw.

I don't really blame him for not fancying the French second division tbh. He could probably get a better move than that if indeed he wanted to go to mainland Europe.

If the amount is true that is an incredible offer for an absolute haddy. I took my 16 year old son to the sheep game at Ibrox last season, he's a striker and plays at a good level, he's an Arsenal fan so has very little interest in Scottish football. After about 15 mins he turned to me and said about Cosgrove, "Why is this guy not getting booked, he's not attempting to actually play football. Useless."

Much as I dislike him and Aberdeen I’m not going to judge him for rejecting the move, on the face of it it’s an excellent opportunity but we don’t know what’s going on in his personal life, he may have very good reasons for wanting to stay in Scotland and close to home.

Crazy. He's 23 years old and has the physicality - go play in a European league in a beautiful part of the world for a few years and develop technically, by the time the contracts up he's a better all round player and coming into his prime years, plus some would see experience abroad as an additional attribute. He likely wouldn't be short of options.

Not to say he couldn't push on down south right enough.

You think Cosgrove declining Guinigamp is bad?

I might be imagining this, but I think I just saw on the news bar of Sky Sports News that a player, Robert?, has knocked back a four year deal with Montpellier to sign for Airdrie o_O

I need to lay off the mushrooms. Surely.

.Maybe SG has had a word in his ear

You think Cosgrove declining Guinigamp is bad?

I might be imagining this, but I think I just saw on the news bar of Sky Sports News that a player, Robert?, has knocked back a four year deal with Montpellier to sign for Airdrie o_O

I need to lay off the mushrooms. Surely.

Ex-Newcastle player Laurent Robert’s boy no less.

I can see him going to a mid/lower end EFL Championship or Div One club. His size and bulk would be attractive to such clubs. Remember Moult left Motherwell for Preston. Big hefty lumps

Everyone is different, maybe the thought of living in a small town doesn't appeal to him? Maybe he doesnt want to move to France? Bit bizarre to call him an arse cos he doesnt have the same outlook as yourself to be honest.

Very fair point, you are correct.

Can I call him an ar*e for choosing Aberdeen though? :)

Harry Forrester is always the one I think of in these situations, who at the age of 18 or 19 had the once in a lifetime opportunity to sign for Ajax.

He rejected them for Brentford.

Never knew that about Forrester, absolutely mental to turn a club like Ajax down.

He’s certainly making the most of playing football and the lifestyle outside of the UK now though.

You cant help but wonder what goes through the minds of some of these footballers? You would imagine if they were offering that size of fee that there would be decent wages on offer too, probably at least comparable to the Championship. A year or two in France would be a fantastic opportunity. I can only assume that his agent has had word from an English club that they are interested.

At only 23 if he got a few years of football away from the SPL you would think he could develop into a really good player.

Back