Sam Larsson tips Helander to make a 'big impression'

Recoba

Official Ticketer
SPORT
The Filip Helander attributes that mean Rangers defender will make 'big impression'
Helander's Swedish pal Sam Larsson is gearing up to face Rangers with Feyenoord and is a huge fan of the big defender

A super Swede called Larsson is aiming to haunt Rangers again this week.
And Feyenoord ace Sam has warned Steven Gerrard the Dutch giants are coming to Ibrox to win.

Jaap Stam’s side travel to Glasgow for their Europa League opener on Thursday night.
Winger Larsson is known as “Samba Sam” after he was likened to a Brazilian by his old Gothenburg gaffer Mikael Stahre.
He is no relation to Celtic legend Henrik who played for Feyenoord before his move to Scotland. But the Swedish international is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his famous namesake who regularly netted at Ibrox.
READ MORE

And he’s adamant Stam’s men will be going full out for three points in Glasgow in a tough group that also includes Porto and Swiss side Young Boys.

0:000:00
Larsson said: “There’s no way we are going to Ibrox looking to settle for a point.

“It’s a really open group and every team will think they have a chance. All four teams are similar in quality.
“And that’s what makes Thursday so important. No team wants to be chasing it after the first game.
“Everyone knows about Rangers and their history but we have a good European record too.

(Image: Getty)
“It was only a couple of years ago when we got into the Champions League group stage where the quality was extremely high.
“If we are honest – and maybe Rangers too – the Europa League is more of our level.
“I’ve never played in Scotland before so that will be a first. Ibrox is similar to De Kuip because there are great atmospheres in both grounds when they are full.
“It’s certainly what we want because that will lift us. Steven Gerrard was a great player. Now he’s a manager I expect him to be just as successful.”
The 26-year-old is a friend of Rangers new boy Filip Helander and can’t wait to see him again.

The Swedish stopper has found it hard to break into Gerrard’s side but Larsson said: “He has that Swedish mentality and I have no doubt he will be a great signing. He’s strong, quick and is a great defender.

(Image: SNS Group)
“I know it won’t be long until he makes a big impression in Scotland.
“Filip has been my friend for years now. We have played for Sweden and also for the Under-21s so I know him very well.
“I’ve deliberately not spoken to him about this game – I’ll wait until we get to Glasgow to do that.”
Feyenoord warmed up for Ibrox with a 3-2 win over Den Haag but almost let a three-goal slip away.
And Larsson said: “We can’t afford a repeat of that in Scotland or we will get punished by Rangers.”
Luciano Narsingh netted in the weekend win and the former Swansea winger can’t wait to run out at Ibrox on Thursday.
The 29-year-old Dutch international said: “I know all about British football. The fans are incredible and I miss that.
“I’m looking forward to playing at a stadium like Ibrox and we will go to Glasgow with confidence.”

Cant wait for the game on Thursday and good to see some respectful comments about us pre game too. If we perform to our best in this group we can qualify big ask but it's possible.

Can't see much wrong with what he has said, praising Helander and us but being positive about his own club as well.
Should be a good game hopefully.

Can't bring in Helander for such a big game. He will disrupt the team understanding that has been built up so far this season.

Kastic plays left side with Goldson but Helander is the only natural left sided centre half we have.

Edmundson is a lefty as well, we could quite easily field any permutation of the four and I would be happy they are all good players.

Said to my mate at the weekend after Katic had a howler I wonder if Gerrard would be tempted to go with Helander in Thursday

Gerrard was very clear after the match and said there will be changes so who knows how many

I reckon him & Goldson will be the 1st choice pairing going forward. I just can’t see us paying £3m or so for a player and him not being a 1st pick when fit and up to speed!

Back