Sands in Midfield?

I think he's more than capable, but not thrown into it.

Start against QOTS maybe and take it from there, cos if he starts in that position against PSV or Hibs, he'll be groaned at and dismissed as shite the second he doesn't carry off a pinpoint pass.

You think Ryan Jack is a better passer of the ball than James Sands because of one pass at the weekend and I'm the one talking shite? Some of the opinions in this thread about Sands are ridiculous.
No I think Ryan Jack Is a better passer than James sands after years of watching him, Ryan Jack is one of our best players when fit and an excellent passer of a football.

Sands looks like a CB stuck in Midfield playing there.

It’s hardly a compliment being a better version of Murray
I've heard Durrant talk about Murray when Walter took over. Walter noticed right away when he was left out the team he breathed a sigh of relief and looked happy. Obviously got rid at 1st opportunity.

Too many are forgetting or dont actually know that Sands played most of his games for NYC st CB. He actually broke in to the team and covered at RB. Only after a while would he be played in the DM role

Sands and the midfield were not the main issues on Tuesday funnily enough. We looked very ropey at the back but he was the only one who DIDN'T look suspect at times, and I'm a fairly big critic of him.

He isn't the long term answer, we had 3 CB's injured, but as cover you can't complain.

He has played in midfield for us previously and hasn't shown anything which would lead me to believe he could become our playmaker.

I've been more impressed with him at centre half.

I think he's been good at centre half but would like to see us give him another chance in midfield now that he's finding his feet here. Think he'd make a very good defensive midfielder alongside John Lundstram for a game like next Wednesday.

He has a good reading of the game, strong in the tackle and is probably more comfortable in possession than someone like Ryan Jack who I think he could be a longterm successor to. Thoughts?
I think he will evolve into a proper CH, I'm not sure his feet are quick enough for centre mid. Passing centre halfs are worth their weight in gold if you always feed from the back, and he does bring that. I think with a bit more muscle he will be a great CH.

Sands could do a good job in midfield. Hes committed, robust and business like.When it comes to technical ability Id say that he also can show vision and deliver good long range passes.Hes competative and willing to throw in a good tackle and win the ball in midfield.An excellent attribute for a midfielder.
He could show promise in making a good combo with Lundstram when we require a more defensive midfield approach. It would also allow Lundstram to have a freer reign to look and press forward, which is him at his best imho.
A Ryan Jack on form is a better player however he's a better option than Jack at present due his superior fitness levels. I dont think that we have seen the consistency from Jack that we need at present when it comes to form on the park and influence in the game.
Starting more games will benefit him greatly and hopefully let us see more of what GVB and the coaching staff see in him.

I think if JL was out for any reason then Sands would be the closest replacement we have in his role especially in Europe.

He has an excellent passing range, not sure what games people are watching sometimes.
There's a difference between being a good ball-playing centre half, and playing a good midfielder. At centre half he will often have time on the ball, the whole game in front of him. To play midfield I'd be wanting him to have a whole other range, play that defense splitting pass etc. I'm yet to see any evidence that he has that.

He’s the long term Jack replacement, without doubt. The boy is a player. He’s more creative than Kamara & Jack and he’s a hybrid centre half. It says a lot about his dynamism and potential in our midfield. He’s got a swagger about him when he’s playing well. In 2 or 3 years I wouldn’t be surprised if he was running the game from deep for us.
Agree with this. Natural replacement for Jack when he goes to QPR for £4m

He’s not a better passer than John Lundstram or Steven Davis ffs, what is wrong with this nonsense making him out to be something he’s not!
He's not better than Davis but how many games is Davis going to play this season. Imv, he is better and more comfortable passing forward from deep than Lundstram.

He's not good in the air.

He won 1/3 aerial duals on Tuesday night. Not acceptable for a centre half.

They missed a sitter due to him being beaten in the air.
Agree its not. I'd wager Bassey's stats were similar when he first moved into CB, certainly cost is a couple of goals initially. Sands is still getting used to playing cb in this league and it might be that Gio is happy enough to weigh up the lack of authority in the air with what he brings to the build up play.

Too many are forgetting or dont actually know that Sands played most of his games for NYC st CB. He actually broke in to the team and covered at RB. Only after a while would he be played in the DM role
At the centre of a back 3 though and being the one with the responsibility to make progressive passes into midfield. So not all together that different from being a sitting midfielder.

I think that's where he will end up for us. A deeper midfield option while Davies will take the starting spot.

I think he's been good at centre half but would like to see us give him another chance in midfield now that he's finding his feet here. Think he'd make a very good defensive midfielder alongside John Lundstram for a game like next Wednesday.

He has a good reading of the game, strong in the tackle and is probably more comfortable in possession than someone like Ryan Jack who I think he could be a longterm successor to. Thoughts?
More comfortable in possession than ryan jack?jack could keep a ball off me and you in a phone box mate

He's not good in the air.

He won 1/3 aerial duals on Tuesday night. Not acceptable for a centre half.

They missed a sitter due to him being beaten in the air.
I’d argue he’s learning in the way Bassey did, tbh. Bit of a baptism of fire. When he does make an attempt for the ball in the air, he’s one of the most aggressive headers I’ve seen for us at centre half in quite a while.

When he learns his timing and can read the game a bit more, I actually think he’ll be great in the air.

I like Sands but he does seem to lack a bit of physicality which is needed for games in Scotland. He seems to read the game well, is decent in the tackle and he’s surprisingly decent in the air considering he isn’t that tall but you just feel a big physical striker could bully him a bit.

I like his passing out of defence, he plays a lot of them first time which helps keep the tempo of our play up which is when we are at our best.

One thing I’ve noticed with him though is that if he gets tried to win the ball and the opponent beats him, he seems to start chasing the ball rather than drop back and try and re-organise.

His best position for me would be the right side of a back three, covering the space in behind Tav as he just bombs forwards relentlessly.

I think our squad is well suited to playing with a back three and I wonder if it’s something we’ll see more of this season.

Back