Sands in Midfield?

nateman

I think he's been good at centre half but would like to see us give him another chance in midfield now that he's finding his feet here. Think he'd make a very good defensive midfielder alongside John Lundstram for a game like next Wednesday.

He has a good reading of the game, strong in the tackle and is probably more comfortable in possession than someone like Ryan Jack who I think he could be a longterm successor to. Thoughts?

Not combative enough to dislodge Lundstram, and not creative enough to play further forward.

He’s the perfect fit for us at CH especially in games where we’ll have the majority of the ball. Would need a more physical alternative for some games but his distribution from the back has been great, a few short passes but tries balls most defenders wouldn’t.

I think Sands will end up a better version of Ian Murray; not good enough to hold down a position anywhere in particular but handy enough to have around the squad to amass 10-15 games a season in three or four spots.

10-15 games a season? That's a low bar considering he's already on 5 halfway through August. He has a far higher ceiling than Ian Murray, shouldn't even be in a conversation together.

10-15 games a season? That's a low bar considering he's already on 5 halfway through August. He has a far higher ceiling than Ian Murray, shouldn't even be in a conversation together.
Extenuating circumstances starting this season with no other fit options.
When everyone is fit, I don't see him playing much.

Ian Murray comment more about him being shunted around the pitch as opposed to ability, possibly not clear!

I’m a big fan of Sands and agree he reads the game well and is strong in the tackle and is comfortable on the ball. Gio obviously rates the boy highly and I do believe that he could be the ideal replacement for the likes of Ryan Jack who has served the club well but whose game availability is somewhat restricted each season due to injuries. Also I think Jack has another year left on his contract and we have first option with his parent club to buy Sands next summer so this might be how Gio sees things developing going forward.

Don’t think he has the touch to play in midfield, looks far more comfortable at the back. You can see him growing from game to game which is encouraging too.

I think he's been good at centre half but would like to see us give him another chance in midfield now that he's finding his feet here. Think he'd make a very good defensive midfielder alongside John Lundstram for a game like next Wednesday.

He has a good reading of the game, strong in the tackle and is probably more comfortable in possession than someone like Ryan Jack who I think he could be a longterm successor to. Thoughts?
You don't think Ryan Jack is comfortable in possession?

We’ve got a lot of players who can play in that role. Could be argued we have to many.

You don't think Ryan Jack is comfortable in possession?

He's fine. He's good at retaining the ball and keeping things ticking over, but I don't think it's a particular strong point of his no. How often do you see him playing anything other than safe short passes in the midfield and between the defenders? Sands has a lot more in his locker than Ryan Jack in that regard.

The manager obviously trusted him to play last Tuesday, he did well and his stats don’t lie … Retaining possession was key against psv, he did his job well…

He's fine. He's good at retaining the ball and keeping things ticking over, but I don't think it's a particular strong point of his no. How often do you see him playing anything other than safe short passes in the midfield and between the defenders? Sands has a lot more in his locker than Ryan Jack in that regard.
When has Sands ever played a ball like the one Jack did for Matondo at the weekend?

Sorry, I didn’t read your message correctly lol ..

What makes you think that? Some of his passes are brilliant, and he looks composed in possession and also has a good first touch to me. He's a better passer of the ball than Ryan Jack and Glen Kamara.
That's nonsense. For a start they have to collect and play the ball in tighter spaces than Sands does when he's playing at the back.

There was never any hint of this passing superiority when he actually played in midfield against Dundee.

I like him but thought PSV narrowed in on him and Borna in the second half as they were the obvious weaknesses.
Borna is the obvious weakness. USG figured that out too. That’s 2 teams in Europe targeted Borna with clear as day tactics already.

First half USG allowed Borna tonnes of space and cut off any passing lanes which forced him to go back. Anytime the ball went to the right Tav was shut down in seconds. We sorted this in the second half with Lawrence moving extremely close to Borna which helped him a lot.

PSV in the second half put De Jong on Goldson and Gakpo on Tav when Mclaughin had the ball which meant Mclaughin had no choice but to go the Sands/Borna route (which they left open) or go long, which wasn’t a great option as they knew they had control of pretty much everything in the air.

Was very smart from PSV and we didn’t have much answer to it.

I wrote on here a few weeks ago that I could see him playing as number 6, dropping in between the centre backs during build up, allowing full backs to push up and lundstram a bit more license to roam in midfield.

He is the best we have at playing forward through the lines from a deep position. His long balls forward are also very accurate.

As has been said, Gio clearly likes him and I think he's going to be a feature going forward.

When Davies is fit I think we will see the back 3 on rotation again with Sands on the right side.

Utility player good not great will do a shift were he is asked I dont think we wil pay 4 mill for him .....

The boy is comfortable on the ball and reads the game well. Agree with Op could be replacement for Ryan Jack

I think Sands will end up a better version of Ian Murray; not good enough to hold down a position anywhere in particular but handy enough to have around the squad to amass 10-15 games a season in three or four spots.
Sands is about 3 levels about Ian Murray

He’s the long term Jack replacement, without doubt. The boy is a player. He’s more creative than Kamara & Jack and he’s a hybrid centre half. It says a lot about his dynamism and potential in our midfield. He’s got a swagger about him when he’s playing well. In 2 or 3 years I wouldn’t be surprised if he was running the game from deep for us.

Looks nowhere near technically good enough.
That may be true but my concern is hes not tough enough or has enough dig about him or his game to even showcase his full technical skill.

No doubt hes a neat and tidy player but every time I see him play I feel there is something missing and even when hes playing well I get the feeling Id rather someone else was in there.

For me one of his best attributes is heading the ball clear. He could give Goldson some lessons there

How many headers did he win in midweek - not many.

Personally, I don’t see Sands as the long term centre back solution. For the money he’s going to cost you can get a better midfielder. I’d certainly want that if we are spending that sort of money.

Thus far I think he’s been decent. Not crap, not outstanding. Unless he’s absolutely rips the season apart then I’m not seeing the £4m/£5m it will cost to buy him as being good business.

Can’t make up my mind about him. He’s clearly a good player and never been terrible, but also never been outstanding IMO.

At a guess I would think his best position will end up being as a defensive midfielder that sits in front of a back 4, but rightly or wrongly I still see him as “filling in” for someone else when he plays, so just now I wouldn’t be keen to pay the reported £5m fee for him.

Let’s see how he goes this season, looks like he’s going to get plenty of minutes.

Our midfield badly needs a no.6/8 playmaker. Essentially a davis replacement (his passing/vision) but with a bit more dynacism (like Davis had earlier in his career).

Sands is not that guy.

I have a feeling that Gio will play Sands more times than not.

Wouldn't be suprised to see him in midfield once Davies is up to speed.

He is not a £4M player, good though he is I just cant see him starting many games when our 3 better CB's get fit(if ever) and who does he replace in midfield?

What makes you think that? Some of his passes are brilliant, and he looks composed in possession and also has a good first touch to me. He's a better passer of the ball than Ryan Jack and Glen Kamara.
I’ve heard some shite from you but this is a different level, Did you watch the game at the weekend and see Jacks pass for the goal?

I don't think he has the passing range or drive we need from our midfielders. Would probablt be decent as a pure defensive midfielder, we need more than that though in the vast majority of our games.

As long as we have another centre half to pair with goldson that is crucial next week

I’ve heard some shite from you but this is a different level, Did you watch the game at the weekend and see Jacks pass for the goal?

You think Ryan Jack is a better passer of the ball than James Sands because of one pass at the weekend and I'm the one talking shite? Some of the opinions in this thread about Sands are ridiculous.

I don't think he has the passing range or drive we need from our midfielders. Would probablt be decent as a pure defensive midfielder, we need more than that though in the vast majority of our games.

He has an excellent passing range, not sure what games people are watching sometimes.

He has this weird thing where he tries multiple passes with his left foot, half of which go behind the target. Never a midfielder in his life and couldn’t lace Jack or Kamara’s boots

A midfield of Lundstram, Davis and Tillman on Wednesday please.
The intelligence of Davis and Tillman together needs pushing
They are the two most intelligent genuine football players we have in our squad.
Putting them together gives us an advantage over PSV.

I think Sands is developing very well, shows quality in his positioning, timing and passing. Still work to do but he looks like a fine prospect to me.

I agree with the OP that he’s more likely - and more suited - to a defensive midfield slot eventually.

Currently we have Lundstram, Jack, Davis and Kamara fighting for 1 or 2 of those defensive mid positions. Lundstram is a first pick but Jack is injury prone, Davis can’t go on forever and Kamara is likely to be sold sooner rather than later. So I’d say Sands will step in to compete more in that area of the team as opportunities arise. The fact he can drop to centre half and perform well is a bonus.

I wrote on here a few weeks ago that I could see him playing as number 6, dropping in between the centre backs during build up, allowing full backs to push up and lundstram a bit more license to roam in midfield.

He is the best we have at playing forward through the lines from a deep position. His long balls forward are also very accurate.

As has been said, Gio clearly likes him and I think he's going to be a feature going forward.

When Davies is fit I think we will see the back 3 on rotation again with Sands on the right side.
He'll also improve. Loads of supporters miss this point.
He's actually impressed me the way he played on Tuesday.

He’s not a better passer than John Lundstram or Steven Davis ffs, what is wrong with this nonsense making him out to be something he’s not!

I think when Davies is fully fit Sands will be played in a defensive midfield position in tougher games alongside Lundstram.

Agree. Jack is tidy but far too defensive with passes and rarely takes a risk passing the ball forward. Sands is miles ahead of him in that regard.

Back