Sands tonight

I think he's more comfortable playing on the right side of defence or in a back 3. He honestly looks like a quality defender at times, but it's more his distribution that suffers from being on the left side.

Also his near-sending off moment was attributed to Kent & McLaughlin putting him under pressure by losing the ball, he actually did well the 2nd time, after being on a yellow. He played a key role in winning the ball back early for us throughout the night.

What sort of logic is that?

Every player in the team is good because we won a game against a pretty poor team?
The logic is that don't overlook the positives for the negatives. He had a few scary moments but so did the whole team. He's 22 years old, no need to break him.

The manager who chose Balogun over Sands the entirety of last season?

Gio doesn't want to play Sands. He would rather play Souttar, Helander or Davies but for various reasons he can't.

If Balogun was in our squad tonight he would have started, but hopefully in a few weeks we have 3 more central defenders we can pick from.
Sands wasn’t here the entirety of last season sort of fücks up your point.
Balagun is done as a footballer , we picked him up when he was playing for Wigan and by Christ it showed , it’s a myth he was any better than average.

Bar the couple of miss placed passes and he wasn’t the only one at the back tnght , I thought he played well, read the game and made a few crucial tackles ,

He is only 21 and will grow with experience , wrote Bassey of to quickly and Boro though that’s another debate !

5 bad passes which forced him in to hard tackles. Booked for one.

I like him. He's raw but he's a good player.

From the sublime to the ridiculous with him at times, often in the same breath.

Summed up at one point in the second half where he made a really great interception and then an absolutely honking pass a second later.

Overall thought he did well enough though, definitely a good option to have around.

I actually like sands. He did have a few ropey moments tonight tho, a better team punishes him. However, I like how comfortable he is on the ball. Its unfortunate that I think cdm would be a great position for him when realistically we would only need a cdm for a handful of games a season

This!

Played three really poor passes that could have been costly but aside from that had a really good game.
I might be wrong but I don't remember any of his bad passes needing last ditch tackles to save him.

I honestly thought defensively he was superb.

He’s taking the flack for others. Some of the passes to him were unbelievable.
He’s not the 1st choice for me but more than a decent back up.

Balagun is done as a footballer , we picked him up when he was playing for Wigan and by Christ it showed , it’s a myth he was any better than average.
Balogun got us put at this stage last season getting rolled by Colak from a throw in for his goal.

I think he knows he can play better and I think he will play better. Had a couple of loose passes but it’s a different kettle of fish to what he’s used to playing in big European nights at Ibrox. Borna doesn’t help him with his defensive side of his game at all. I think he’ll only get better.

The guy is a bomb as soon as any sort of pressure is put on him.We just scored the pen and he couldn’t even see the ball out for a bye kick and gave a corner away at a bad time. I don’t get it with blind support for the guy as at this point in his career he is miles behind Leon King never mind Davies or Souttar

Worries me at the back. Had a good game tonight but I just think he's got a clanger or 2 in him and don't trust him back there was better than Goldson though who did have a shocker.

We picked James Tavernier up from Wigan. Sort of fucks up your point.

If Balogun was that bad and Sands that good, why did Gio not once start him ahead of Balogun?

Sands was here for about 90% of Gio's games yet Balogun played about 3 times as many minutes.

5 bad passes which forced him in to hard tackles. Booked for one.

I like him. He's raw but he's a good player.
5 ? I assume you mean the bad passes to him by McLaughlin , Goldson and others , he passed into midfield many times twice were intercepted and caused us problems. He is getting it tight but there were players on the park who put us under more pressure, Kent for one. Losing the ball multiple times, McLaughlin giving Sands a shit pass and a few more.

I think we need better as a starting centre half anyway that's for sure. Hopefully that will be Davies once he settles in.

Was solid however playing out from the back with sloppy passes potentially could have cost us 2/3 times, he’s a great player and I like him a lot I’d just be hoping we get Davies upto speed for the PSV fixtures as clearly we need an out and out Centre half

We picked James Tavernier up from Wigan. Sort of fucks up your point.

If Balogun was that bad and Sands that good, why did Gio not once start him ahead of Balogun?

Sands was here for about 90% of Gio's games yet Balogun played about 3 times as many minutes.
Sands is a midfield player ! Balagun was not a good Center back no one can convince me otherwise he was painfully average it was only the paucity of our choices ,an injured Helander, Katic and Simpson that he played so often. He hasn’t got a club, if we released Tavernier tomorrow he would have a club by 11am. Also Tavernier wasn’t in his 30’s when we picked him up.

Genuinely believe he will go onto be a decent modern centre half, he’s not played a lot of football at that level. More experience and cut out the sloppiness and he’ll have a good career for us.

Complete nonsense. I genuinely can’t believe how miles off it you can be with a comment.
Of course mine and countless others opinion don’t matter because it’s one you don’t you agree with? Is that how it works?

He was dreadful.

I’ll say it again and stand by it, he’s not good enough for us either CH or midfield. He just doesn’t have the physical attributes to play CH in the SPL.

You have to say in his defence that a lot of our senior players had very similar horrendous passes. I’m pretty sure at least Lundstram, Tav and maybe Goldson had very bad passes too.

Last edited:
Some times maybe shit some times maybe good.

On a serious note I liked his game, despite few mistakes and dangerous passes.
Overall he did well in my opinion.

Every player in the back four gave the ball away in really dangerous positions. The goalies short pass to Sands nearly got the boy a red card. Even JL gave a terrible pass across the pitch that allowed the Belgium player to break through the middle. So l wouldn't single the boy out. The whole defence must do better. Two clean sheets in a row right enough so what do l know.

The guy is a bomb as soon as any sort of pressure is put on him.We just scored the pen and he couldn’t even see the ball out for a bye kick and gave a corner away at a bad time. I don’t get it with blind support for the guy as at this point in his career he is miles behind Leon King never mind Davies or Souttar
It was right in front of me, it was never a corner so weird thing to blame him for. Your post is just completely wrong to be perfectly honest.

Don't think his future is at centre half
His passing out was terrible, put us in so much trouble for no reason at all too many times.

Defended generally ok, but lost to many headers (goldson never loses a header) as well.

Def not the long term answer

He looked annoyed with himself at his sloppy play. Reckon he will cut that out his game going forward.
Reacted quickly and decisively to clear the ball - which thankfully the linesman appreciated! He’s growing as a Ranger.

I'd say your group chat probably has the balance of it.
At defending as such, he was fine. Read game well, made some good blocks and is stronger than he'd get credit for.

However, also had three (possibly four?) horrendously short passes that against better standard of opposition would have been punished.

I thought he had a cracking game tonight, but in a few group chats half saying he was great and the other half saying he was poor, so thought I'd ask for opinions on here, no doubt it'll be 50/50 going by what folk have been saying already.
Tonight the lad became a Ranger, not masking over 2 horrible passes across the park that could’ve cost. However this lad got hung out to dry with 2 dreadfully short pass backs but thankfully the linesman was on the ball to see a fantastic challenge from the lad. He went on to make a couple of very good interventions still sitting on the yellow. Well done kid

I thought he had a cracking game tonight, but in a few group chats half saying he was great and the other half saying he was poor, so thought I'd ask for opinions on here, no doubt it'll be 50/50 going by what folk have been saying already.
Weirdly everyone is correct. He was both superb and atrocious.

His distribution is shocking at times under very little pressure. Not good enough to play centre half for us. As Richard Gough said ‘ at rangers you’re only as good as your last pass’ had numerous potential disasters tonight’

GVB should have subbed Sands for Davis at half time , being on that booking left us walking a tightrope thsf we nearly fell off of
Goodson was as poor as I’ve seen him in a long while and Tav apart from his penalty was average
Defence really needs to tighten up as a better team than the Belgians puts us out the competition tonight

All part of a new young player coming through they make mistakes. Look at Bassey. Players need time to develop you can't write them off after 10 games . I think there is a player in there its a loan deal at the end of the day will see how he progresses

Tonight the lad became a Ranger, not masking over 2 horrible passes across the park that could’ve cost. However this lad got hung out to dry with 2 dreadfully short pass backs but thankfully the linesman was on the ball to see a fantastic challenge from the lad. He went on to make a couple of very good interventions still sitting on the yellow. Well done kid

I honestly don’t see how. Made one last ditch challenge but was under very little pressure the whole game. don’t think he looks up to it

Back