Sands

Seemed incapable of making a forward pass. Still too early to write him off but not a great start.

Last edited:
Rangers fans these day eh

The boy has moved to a different continent
New team/ teammates
Playing in probably one of the most physical/ mental leagues in the world

Think I'll reserve judgement to more than two games
Possibly. But also hasn't stopped the likes of Hatate & Kyogo getting off the flyers.

Always seems to be a slow start with us.

He's a squad player from what I've seen so far.

Jack, Kamara, Arfield, Aribo, Davis will be ahead of him of they're all fit.

I prefer to see him as a Kanata replacement.
Gio: don’t play both of them together at the moment against SPL opposition.
I will give Sands full support if he is given the correct role but as other posts have said our need is in creative midfielders - thankfully Lowry looks good

Compare his first two games to Alex Lowry.
That’s unfair on Sands tbh!

Lowry is a Rangers lad, been around the club, players, fans and stadium. He knows what the Rangers way is.

Sands is miles away from home, just signed, and straight into a game. He has not had a chance to settle.

The amount of grief Goldson got on here when he first signed with comments like the club is too big for him to handle, he’s a rubbish defender etc and the same folk begging for him now to stay and saying he’s our best defender etc

If Gio thinks he is good enough to start then that’s good enough for me at this stage and we should be giving Sands our full support - he needs to be given time to settle before we cast him out.

Need to give him time?

A nonsense, we are trying to win a league title which could set us up for years, not fanny about with a lad who we didn't even need to sign.

I'm not being critical of the lad because he has just arrived but I dont think he should be anywhere near our starting line up yet

Need to give him time?

A nonsense, we are trying to win a league title which could set us up for years, not fanny about with a lad who we didn't even need to sign.

I'm not being critical of the lad because he has just arrived but I dont think he should be anywhere near our starting line up yet
Agreed.

Looks every inch a water carrier who can’t move the ball forward progressively. Which, at home to dross is very unnecessary.

Close between him & Wright for being the most anonymous tonight. Thankfully Aribo, Jack & Arfield are back.

I think he can become a good player for us. He is a Hemdani-type from what I have seen.

Pairing him with Kamara isn't ideal in games like we faced today.

Conversely it might work next week when we are being swamped in midfield at the piggery.

I got pelters for questioning his contribution against the Sheep.
I saw nothing to change my opinion tonight!!
He was anonymous and the game was passing him by.
You must be feeling proud. Give yourself a pat on the back and a werther’s original.

maybe because you don't see what a defensive midfielder does. He kept it simple and retained the ball.

Quite happy to give the guy some time, but do we really need Sands, Lundstram, Jack, Davis and Kamara all in the same squad bearing in mind the nature of the opposition we meet on a weekly basis?

A young (International class) foreigner comes to a strange country and after two games isn't good enough? Give yourself a shake, a serious shake. That's the sort of intolerant, judgemental attitude and behaviour I'd expect from the other half of the Old Firm. Let our management team shape him and develop him over 18 months.

Alternatively let's bin every player you don't like after 2 games. Laughable.

The positive: Sands looks a very neat and tidy footballer. Passes well with both feet and very rarely gives the ball away. I think his levels will improve when surrounded by the likes of Jack and Davis more often

The negative: being neat and tidy isn't enough for a Rangers midfielder I'm afraid. He can't just sit recycling possession for 90 minutes, not in our midfield that demands so much more. He needs to get more involved, get the ball moving forwards instead of always taking the safe option, and work out what his role in the team is. He neither dominates a midfield nor breaks the lines and offers support in forward areas. He needs to develop one of these sides of his game.

It's only 2 games. It will take him time to settle, but I like what I see so far. He's technically superior than nearly every player he will come up against, he just needs to build himself a role in the team now.

Give it a rest fuck sake. Pretty much the whole team was poor.

You seem more intent on being right than seeing a Rangers player do well. Bizarre.

I thought he was garbage tonight as he was last Tuesday.

Needs time to settle but.

Find it hard to believe he can play centre back as well tbh, looks weak and poor in the air.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CF4
Contrary to other posts in the thread I thought he did alright tonight. He broke up play and tidied up well. He moved the ball from side to side a lot so he really is a defensive midfielder.

The problem for me was that he was selected alongside Kamara with Lowry at the top of the triangle IMO thats not how we should be setting up against Livingston at home so it was the wrong game to be playing him in.

2 games in and he's hardly had a disaster, would say two steady 6/10 performances without really doing anything risky just safe possession play side to side

Neat and tidy, didn't really lose the ball off the top of my head. Just doesn't offer anything more than simple passing and good positioning so far. He either needs to become a hard-tackling ball winner or someone who can progress up the pitch with the ball to be useful for us. I'm sure he'll develop with more gametime.

I’m clearly in the minority but I thought he done alright. Neat and tidy in possession and good positional sense. That said you certainly don’t need him and Kamara in the same team at home to Livingston

I assume he is Kamara replacement. Not as good yet, but doesn't make as many mistakes as Kamara. As a holding midfielder, he's fine if Jack keeps having fitness problems.

One things for sure, I bet he's never played in a game like that before . Give him a chance to settle in.

He was an insurance policy we didn’t need (I get that he only started because we’re short on players). He was never gonna really show his stuff in a game like this. Once we’ve got a strong squad back together, he can get a proper chance.

He's been thrown right into the deep end, Pittodrie then a horrendous night for anyone to perform, the op could have picked a load of players to have a go at tonight

Whatever people think of him one thing is for certain he will never be a main stay Rangers player simply not good enough.

Bacuna got slagged for less.
It's "certain"?! Two games in, one of which was at probably our second-hardest domestic away venue, moved to a new country halfway across the world, been here maybe a few weeks, 21 years old?

Just can’t see it working out for the lad in my opinion. But I hope as time goes on I might be proved wrong though

He's not a flashy, all bells and whistles type player. He played an entire season as a defender in a back 3. What were you expecting OP? Some sort of defensive midfielder who moonlights as an attacking midfielder. We looked fairly solid defensively most of the night tbh. Bar the odd mistake from Goldson or Bassey and the odd stray back pass. He had exactly the kind of game I expected he would have when he signed.

It's fucking tragic the lengths folk will go to get annoyed on here tbh.

Back