Sands

This is madness even by FF standards written off as a dud after two games where he actually didn’t do much wrong at all.you think people would learn after Borna but no they rush headlong into writing players off.

2 fucking games 2 games ‍♂️
Indeed.
You can say the same about young Lowry, yet he's made a huge impression.
I've stated previously that it's far too early to make a definitive judgement on the boy.
What I'm saying is that he's been anonymous against Aberdeen and Livingston.
I don't think that point can be disputed.

This is madness even by FF standards written off as a dud after two games where he actually didn’t do much wrong at all.you think people would learn after Borna but no they rush headlong into writing players off.
I haven't read the full post, but has anyone written him off as a dud?

Indeed.
I've stated previously that it's far too early to make a definitive judgement on the boy.
The world would be a weird place if everyone was the same eh
You can compare this one and that one all you want but to even remotely question the signing after 2 games is baffling to say the least

Again he’s getting criticised but I don’t think he was our worst midfielder last night.

He looked tidy, kept the ball and won it back on many occasions. Thought Kamara for the second game in a row looked off it last night.

I don’t know what game you were watching but we didn’t batter livi last night. They were comfortable the whole night, their keeper barely made a save.

We had tonnes of pointless possession passing around the back but that was about it
We had one cleared off the line, three balls across the face of the goal and there keeper had to make a couple of saves. Battered maybe isn't the right word but 2 or 3 nil wouldn't have flattered us.

Ffs, he's only played in 2 games! It might work out for the lad, it might not. But passing judgement on him so soon makes me despair.

Indeed.
Lowry's position means he will have more to do on nights like last night. Comparing apples and oranges.

First impressions are that he doesn’t look the most dynamic, but not every player in a squad needs to be a headline grabber, particularly someone playing DM.

He offered about as much as Kamara did last night, he clearly has credit in the bank but there were a good number who weren’t particularly good last night.

Genuinely have some on here only just started taking an interest in football in the last week? Utterly fucking clueless.

It was absolutely pissing down and blowing a gale FFS - none of the team performed very well (apart from Fashion!). Judging a guy playing on his second game for us, in those conditions, is utterly mental.
I'd even cut Itten some slack since he's getting it as well - he's only just come back into the team, give him a chance to settle in again. It was hugely frustrating to see him miss that cross across the goal by Sakala but too easy to say "Defoe would have scored that" or "Morelos would have scored that" - maybe Itten would too if he'd been more in tune with the players around him. That comes with a bit of time and experience of playing with those particular guys.

Lowry's position means he will have more to do on nights like last night. Comparing apples and oranges.
It's also easier to be destructive than it is to be constructive though.
One has made a positive impression in his two games and one hasn't.....and apples and oranges are both fruit!

One has made a positive impression in his two games and one hasn't.....and apples and oranges are both fruit!
I don't think Sands has made a negative impression though. I'm not just comparing them because of nationality but I think he might be another Edu in that you don't notice him much throughout a match but is a solid player.

On you're last point..touche.

Because he’s much worse than Sands, slower in mind and body and has cost us much more than he’s contributed.
I don’t agree here at all, other than to imply Sands is poor is just silly.
What I would say is that I know who I’d be starting against the filth.

I don’t agree here at all, other than to imply Sands is poor is just silly.
What I would say is that I know who I’d be starting against the filth.
Good job Gio knows more about football and has Sands ahead of him, writing was on the cards when he whipped him off at half time as well.

They play different roles though.
One is to spoil, one is to create.
Maybe once we see what Sands is doing, off the ball, we’ll appreciate his contribution more.
What I did notice last night was how often Sands was just in front of the central defence making sure play had to go outside them.
That was just on the TV though.

Signed as a defensive midfielder, played as a defensive midfielder, lost one goal (a penalty) in the two games he has played, not sure he has made any real errors, wins the ball makes simple passes. Doing exactly what he was signed to do in Gio's system.

Written off already on FF by the wannabe football managers B-):rolleyes:

I don't think Sands has made a negative impression though. I'm not just comparing them because of nationality but I think he might be another Edu in that you don't notice him much throughout a match but is a solid player.

On you're last point..touche.
I hope he's not another Edu!!

They play different roles though.
One is to spoil, one is to create.
Maybe once we see what Sands is doing, off the ball, we’ll appreciate his contribution more.
What I did notice last night was how often Sands was just in front of the central defence making sure play had to go outside them.
That was just on the TV though.
They do play different roles of course and it's easier to spoil than to create.
I'm in no way writing Sands off at this stage, just venturing an opinion that, for me, he's been anonymous in his two appearances so far.

Have we not learned any lessons from Borna about writing players off after a few games? He’s not been brilliant but has looked tidy enough - he’s a young lad with potential playing in a new league in two tough fixtures - I think some of the criticism of the nature here is at best ungenerous and at worst knee-jerk and hysterical. I can guarantee he’s doing with GVB has asked him so this notion he’s not playing far enough up the park, breaking lines or playing killer balls or driving from midfield isn’t fair. He’s not being asked to do that.

I found this a truly baffling signing. Given the fact we have been screaming out for a Right Winger and an actual attacking midfielder but we get a Utility player that's best position is defensive midfielder where we literally have ton of good options already
It’s not one or the other. A good young player became available on an 18 month loan - “nah, canny take him mate, we need a right winger” don’t get the logic. The club are working on deals for forward players - that’s not being hampered by bringing in a 21 year old on loan.

Feels like we’ve seen this a lot in the past with the defensive midfield role. It’s easy to stand out if you’re playing it badly, it’s harder to stand out if you’re doing it as expected. I can’t think of any position that has been more roundly criticised.

It doesn’t feel long ago that the likes of Kevin Thomson, Mo Edu and Hemdani were being criticised for “not doing enough”.

The boy hasn’t had enough time here to be properly judged, and hasn’t done anything wrong to deserve being written off.

If others had done their job better tonight, this thread wouldn’t have been a consideration.
This is spot on and the criticism probably shows a lack of appreciation for the role he’s being asked to do.

They do play different roles of course and it's easier to spoil than to create.
I'm in no way writing Sands off at this stage, just venturing an opinion that, for me, he's been anonymous in his two appearances so far.
I’d counter this by suggesting that, if I’m correct, the more anonymous he is, the more effective he’s being.
Gerrard’s team were quite effective, very effective, in making the opposition turn back when in possession.
GvB has carried this on for the best part.
We don’t concede a lot of chances.
Did Livingston, or Aberdeen, have many real 100% chances?

The fact that we have been struggling to identify a MOTM in god knows how many league games suggests it’s more down to tactics and team selection than individual performances.

The whole team has been misfiring all season apart from the odd game here or there, sometimes only brief parts of games.

Lets be honest
Hibs away we got away with one with a late penalty, Morelos missed a sitter I don’t remember much other threat.
Dundee home an Aribo deflection, an OG, Morelos finishing it off
Hearts away we were good in flashes scored 2 good goals should’ve had way more, ended up riding our luck
St Johnstone home, can’t remember a thing about this game, but do know they hadn’t won in about ten games (its now 13 games since their last win, 1 in 16, 5 goals scored in they 16 !)
Dundee United home see Hibs above
St Mirren home, not much to say a st Mirren side crippled with COVID
Aberdeen away, absolutely honking
Livi home, see Aberdeen above.

All I would say just now is hate the game not the player.

We should click at some point.

I got pelters for questioning his contribution against the Sheep.
I saw nothing to change my opinion tonight!!
He was anonymous and the game was passing him by.

Absolutely embarrassing thread mate.

Trying to judge a defensive midfielder against a deep lying defensive team?

Sands game is about breaking up play, protecting our central defenders and recycling possession.

The strangest thing was Gio going with both him and Kamara, against a team that would defend deep and in numbers.

You've made a bit of an arse of yourself, by posting judgement on a player, after his 2nd appearance for us.

Difficult to take anything you say seriously now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sands game is about breaking up play, protecting our central defenders and recycling possession.

The strangest thing was Gio going with both him Kamara, against a team that would defend deep and in numbers.

You've made a bit of an arse of yourself, by posting judgement on a player, after his 2nd appearance for us.

No fucking about in that post:))

No fucking about in that post:))

No wonder mate.

Nothing like giving a player a chance to settle and then making a balanced judgement on him.

It's not his fault his skill set isn't about opening up deep lying defensive sides.
It's already clear his qualities lie in the more defensive side of a midfielder.

Breaking up play, making tackles, then regaining and retaining possession.
Every team needs these sorts of players.

It's not his fault Gio thought we needed 2 last night.

The strangest thing was Gio going with both him and Kamara, against a team that would defend deep and in numbers.

Wasting your time mate. Just posted in the other thread, but the criticism leveled at Sands is laughable.

The world would be a weird place if everyone was the same eh
You can compare this one and that one all you want but to even remotely question the signing after 2 games is baffling to say the least
That's how it is at Ibrox, you'd better get used to it.
On the one hand we have Alex Lowry going to be one-of our best ever midfielders after less than 180mins and on the other Jimmy Sands being a dud after the same length of time.

It's not gonna change.

Last edited:
I’d counter this by suggesting that, if I’m correct, the more anonymous he is, the more effective he’s being.
Gerrard’s team were quite effective, very effective, in making the opposition turn back when in possession.
GvB has carried this on for the best part.
We don’t concede a lot of chances.
Did Livingston, or Aberdeen, have many real 100% chances?
Not that I can remember.
Could be down to the standard of opposition as well.

Back