Sandy

He was an attacking right back who was a bloody good defender. He was z wingback 20 years before they were common place, a player well ahead of his time.
William started off as a forward but was turned into a rightback and never looked back, he chipped in with many goals.
He was not too bad a golfer but he was one crabbit Kant and moaned about everything and anything. This was just the winning gene in him and had to win everything he entered and everything was competition he was known to pavement race going for the Sunday morning rolls. Nice man once you got to know him.

Up there with Griegy for me. I think he was the fitest player at Rangers then,superb player and scored against Bayern en to Barcelona,finest full back at Rangers.

ive been watching Rangers since 69 and hes the best right back ive ever seen and during the 74 world cup qualifying and finals proved himself to be world class,plus a great penalty taker

My dad used to talk about him when I was a kid. From what I was told he sounded a phenomenal player. Could do with some like him just now.

Sandy the epitome of what a Rangers player should be , skilful, determined and a clean player who was extremely talented, and trained in the Rangers way, someone who never tried to get other players into trouble ,a total professional and a gentleman a true Rangers Legend who was respected by all and sundry.

Started out as a half-back , then Davie White moved him to right-back. Also played as a centre-forward in his early Rangers career.

Solid and reliable player and above all , he had class.

Should have been captain when Greig retired instead of DJ

Think you might find op that there is more footage of Sandy out there than you think.

In answer to your question I can remember him playing as a center forward for a couple of games before he reverted to a right back. If you look on you tube you will see him scoring a header in a Fairs City cup at Ibrox. I know who it was against but can't spell their name and will get slaughtered ;)

Sandy the epitome of what a Rangers player should be , skilful, determined and a clean player who was extremely talented, and trained in the Rangers way, someone who never tried to get other players into trouble ,a total professional and a gentleman a true Rangers Legend who was respected by all and sundry.

Immaculate in every way.
Loved the clip when his wife unveiled the bust of him at Ibrox. She licked her finger and pretended to fix his hair in place.
I imagine that was indeed very close to reality.

Sandy in Royal Blue was without doubt the finest RB that Rangers have had. He was an exceptional footballer and could (and did) play in a variety of positions. He started up front as a youngster, moved to RB and then after leaving us played sweeper for Hearts. His fitness levels were just ridiculous - as has been stated earlier, he was playing a wing back role years before it officially became a 'thing'. From memory, I think that he was included in the 1974 World Cup team of the tournament, despite Scotland not qualifying from their group.

Off the field, he was dignity personified and we were robbed of an incredible man, when cancer took him.

Sadly there isn't much justice old clips can do. For us younger bears can you tell me a little bit about his performances?

Heres a wee bit of his time with The Rangers and Scotland, there are many more on here will fill you in on his latter days with Hearts.

William “Sandy” Pullar Jardine (31 December 1948-24 April 2014) was a Scottish professional footballer, who played for Rangers, Hearts and represented Scotland. He twice won the Scottish Football Writers Association Player of the Year award and was part of the Rangers team that won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1972. Jardine was also co-manager of Hearts with Alex MacDonald and later worked for Rangers he died in April 2014, 18 months after being diagnosed with liver cancer.

Jardine signed for Rangers in 1964. Signed as a midfielder, he spent a couple of years in the reserves before making his debut aged 18 in a 5-1 league win at home to Hearts on the 4th of February 1967. Playing at right-half. The match took place a week after being knocked out the Scottish Cup by Berwick Rangers. He scored his first Rangers goal a few weeks later on the 18th of March 1967 in a league match against Ayr United. The same season Jardine played in the 1967 European Cup Winners Cup Final against Bayern Munich, Losing 1-0 after extra time.

Jardine played in various defensive positions as he became a regular under manager Davie White, even as a centre forward before settling as a right full back at the start of the 1970-71 season under new manager Willie Waddell. He proved a revelation at right back, a strong player who enjoyed marauding forward, he had an excellent turn of pace which ensured he was rarely caught out of position. The position was where he went on to make the bulk of his 674 appearances for the club.

He won his first major trophy in 1970, Rangers beating Celtic 1-0 in the Scottish League Cup Final. The following season he was an ever present in the Rangers side which reached the 1972 European Cup Winners Cup Final, playing in all 8 matches en route to the final and scoring the first goal of a 2-0 win over Bayern Munich in the semi final. Jardine went on to help Rangers win the final, defeating Moscow Dynamo 3-2 in the Nou Camp in Barcelona. Between 27th of April 1972 and 30th of August 1975 he didn’t miss a single game for Rangers and played in 171 consecutive matches for them. Further success continued during this time, in 1974-75 he helped Rangers win their first Scottish League title in 11 years, and his performances were acknowledged by the Scottish Football Writers ‘ Association, who voted him the player of the year Jardine was a key part of the Rangers sides that won the domestic treble in 1975-76 and 1977-78.

By the early 1980s Rangers were in decline, and 33 year old Jardine was reluctantly given a free transfer to Hearts in mid 1982 by manager John Greig. The pair were close friends, having both grown up and lived in Edinburgh, and communicated to train and play for Rangers in their younger days. Greig allowed Jardine to leave due to his long service and his stated wish to end his playing career at the club he supported as a boy.

Jardine made his debut appearance for Scotland as a substitute for Davie Hay on 11 November 1970 in a European Championship qualifying win against Denmark. His next appearance and first start, came almost a year later in October 1971 in another European Championship qualifying tie a 2-1 win over Portugal.

By 1974 Jardine had become a regular at right- back in the international side and played in all three matches of the victorious 1974 British Home Championship campaign, during which he scored his only international goal in a 2-0 win over Wales. He had also helped Scotland qualify for the 1974 World Cup finals in West Germany. Jardine played in al three group matches of the tournament, where he and Celtic’s Danny McGrain were voted the best pair of fullbacks in the competition.

He continued to play regularly for Scotland throughout the 1970s and made one further appearance in the finals of a major tournament, against Iran during the 1978 FIFA World Cup in Argentina. Jardine made his final appearance on 19th December 1979, against Belgium in a European Championship qualifier.

Jardine was capped 38 times in total and captained the team on nine occasions.

Sandy was absolute class and consistently performed well especially against world class opposition. He should have won more caps in my opinion as he was the best full back I have ever seen play for Rangers or Scotland.

Not only a fantastic player as the previous posters have written, he stayed on in a PR position at Ibrox and led the march to Hampden when the club was in dire straights, many other famous names stayed at home and watched on telly.

Immaculate in every way.
Loved the clip when his wife unveiled the bust of him at Ibrox. She licked her finger and pretended to fix his hair in place.
I imagine that was indeed very close to reality.

Didn't see this...cheers for posting, very touching snippet.

I barely remember Sandy as I was a wee boy during the seventies but knew he was great from how my Dad and Grandad thought of him as a player. I've seen footage since of what I'd have watched as a nipper and it goes without saying he'd be at a table-topping EPL team today easily.

Didn't see this...cheers for posting, very touching snippet.

I barely remember Sandy as I was a wee boy during the seventies but knew he was great from how my Dad and Grandad thought of him as a player. I've seen footage since of what I'd have watched as a nipper and it goes without saying he'd be at a table-topping EPL team today easily.

My apologies she doesn't actually lick her finger but she does "fix" his hair.
It's a really lovely touch.
If you search online you can find the video on a daily record site.
Again apologies, I don't know how to post it.

Back