Santiago Arzamendia of Paraguay

drgriffen

Recently, I've been highlighting some young players from South America that some may be interested in learning about. Arzamendia is one such player. A 20 year old attacking full-back, aren't they all these days, he is currently playing for Cerro Porteno in Paraguay. He's quick, an excellent crosser, good technically and likes a long shot. He's a bit on the short side so wont fit the Mourinho mould of being able to defend the back post. Saying that, he can also play further up the park, which may suit him if he moves to Europe.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...ay-cerro-porteno-tactical-analysis-statistics

It's a difficult and long process to integrate boys from England into Rangers and the Scottish game. I can't see us going for any South Americans that aren't already plying their trade and have showed something in Europe

Out with Morelos which was a stroke of luck and has now become a great piece of business , I would tend to steer clear of South Americans at this moment of time, I think most of us are still reeling at the Pedro blunders

I've noticed that whenever I post threads like this that they tend to evolve into Rangers scouting and our supposed lack of success in signing South Americans. This isn't my intention. Yes, I would like Rangers to look here, but primarily I am just trying to highlight a few players that may be of interest to other posters - I do similar on the Argieball and Libertadores threads but I'm aware they are a niche market.:)

I've noticed that whenever I post threads like this that they tend to evolve into Rangers scouting and our supposed lack of success in signing South Americans. This isn't my intention. Yes, I would like Rangers to look here, but primarily I am just trying to highlight a few players that may be of interest to other posters - I do similar on the Argieball and Libertadores threads but I'm aware they are a niche market.:)
Keep posting mate. Don’t let it put you off.

It’s a very different area to the UK culturally and in terms of football. It’s no surprises many do not work out. It’s best when a player feels at home, after all.

Even big signings haven’t worked out here. Look at Veron and di Maria. Guys with bags of talent but the game and culture just didn’t suit them.

South Americans that come to Britain generally come from two camps, hard workers that recognise where they are from and work hard to make it work, despite obvious differences in the football and culture between the regions, guys like Morelos, Aguero or Firmino, or primadonas who will piss off to sunnier Latin climes like di Maria.

You make it quite clear in your posts. Unfortunately there are some that are hard of thinking on this forum.

I appreciate your posts. If nothing else I know who to scout on football manager now.;)

Keep posting mate. Don’t let it put you off.

It’s a very different area to the UK culturally and in terms of football. It’s no surprises many do not work out. It’s best when a player feels at home, after all.

Even big signings haven’t worked out here. Look at Veron and di Maria. Guys with bags of talent but the game and culture just didn’t suit them.

South Americans that come to Britain generally come from two camps, hard workers that recognise where they are from and work hard to make it work, despite obvious differences in the football and culture between the regions, guys like Morelos, Aguero or Firmino, or primadonas who will piss off to sunnier Latin climes like di Maria.

Not trying to defend him, he's had his ups and downs during his career, but this article on Di Maria may change your perspective on him being a primadonna:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/e...tter&utm_campaign=worldcup18&utm_term=DiMaria

Thanks for posting mate. Drinking tonight so will read it tomorrow to do it justice.

I tend to struggle with anything PSG or man city related, as it’s simply about the money for all concerned.

I know what you mean, but sometimes when you read about where a player has come from and what he has went through it makes the present day more understandable.

he'll probably go to Porto for 2p and be sold for £30m :D

I guess it's similar climate and that but I really wish we could replicate the Porto scouting, even on a smaller scale

As sad as it sounds the type of player we require in order for them to be a success in Scottish football are players who have a bit of toughness about them, mentally and physically otherwise they wilt away under the pressure of playing for us and the physicality of our league.

The South American market probably is a decent idea looking for those type of players in all honesty but they dont come cheap unless we get lucky and find a Morelos.

I know what you mean, but sometimes when you read about where a player has come from and what he has went through it makes the present day more understandable.
Indeed. I do like the underdog, part of the reason I hate the oil clubs. Although not the same scale, my wife, no pics, grew up with nothing, having charity shop clothes, etc. and has worked hard to where she now is, earning a very good wage as a commercial lawyer in London. That’s part of the reason I hate freeloading and entitlement.

he'll probably go to Porto for 2p and be sold for £30m :D

I guess it's similar climate and that but I really wish we could replicate the Porto scouting, even on a smaller scale

Unfortunately, we've never had a scouting network, until now (and this is still in its infancy) so it is no surprise we struggle to find 'gems'.

Hopefully, with more emphasis being put into this sector we'll start to find what we want wherever they come from.

As sad as it sounds the type of player we require in order for them to be a success in Scottish football are players who have a bit of toughness about them, mentally and physically otherwise they wilt away under the pressure of playing for us and the physicality of our league.

The South American market probably is a decent idea looking for those type of players in all honesty but they dont come cheap unless we get lucky and find a Morelos.
It’s about identifying early and buying at the right price. Because many of the top sides have scouts on the ground over there, the timing means acting earlier, which results in greater risks. The employment law in the UK also makes it harder to sign players with no real international background (unless you are Celtc and singing the next ...... Messi).

It’s about identifying early and buying at the right price. Because many of the top sides have scouts on the ground over there, the timing means acting earlier, which results in greater risks. The employment law in the UK also makes it harder to sign players with no real international background (unless you are Celtc and singing the next ...... Messi).

What would be the deal if we were to scout South American players playing in foreign countries at this moment in time, still the same issue with the employment law or easier to sign?

I am sure there would be many players we could pick up who are good but not quite bordering world class, even from the smaller South American countries.

What would be the deal if we were to scout South American players playing in foreign countries at this moment in time, still the same issue with the employment law or easier to sign?

I am sure there would be many players we could pick up who are good but not quite bordering world class, even from the smaller South American countries.
We would need to get work permits, which can always be refused if the player doesn’t meet the automatic criteria.

It is much easier to get players a work permit for Scotland than England.

As someone who watches and reads a lot of on SA football the talent is there. Yes, we could make mistakes but how much have wasted utilising the domestic (uk) market?

If we want to find players who can do something different then we struggle to find better, at the price we can afford, elsewhere.

It is much easier to get players a work permit for Scotland than England.

As someone who watches and reads a lot of on SA football the talent is there. Yes, we could make mistakes but how much have wasted utilising the domestic (uk) market?

If we want to find players who can do something different then we struggle to find better, at the price we can afford, elsewhere.
Whilst I know where you are coming from, are the prices in South America not prohibitive now? Anyone with one decent season behind them seems to go for £5-10m min.

Look at what Madrid paid for the guy from Flamengo. £40m?

Whilst I know where you are coming from, are the prices in South America not prohibitive now? Anyone with one decent season behind them seems to go for £5-10m min.

I sort of understand what you are saying but I, with my limited knowledge, have posted about players, who may have suited, for an affordable price. As recently as a few weeks ago I posted about Campana who will be out of contract come the end of the year.

The key is getting them before they go to the grandes in Argentina or they go to Brazil.

I sort of understand what you are saying but I, with my limited knowledge, have posted about players, who may have suited, for an affordable price. As recently as a few weeks ago I posted about Campana who will be out of contract come the end of the year.

The key is getting them before they go to the grandes in Argentina or they go to Brazil.
Yes, that is a very good point. The leagues in Argentina and Brazil are the hunting ground of the rich and famous. We cannot compete with the major European sides. Identifying them before they go there is required.

Yes, a million quid for each of his owners.

Back