Sasa or Borna?

Left back?

• Papac

Votes: 156 26.6%
  • Barisic

Votes: 431 73.4%

• Total voters

Zwingli'sSausages

Barisic is of course the better footballer. But they are completely different left backs in completely different systems. Like comparing Super Ally and Alfie because they’re both strikers.

Sasa is a legend. Borna will be a legend.

Gdawg

In the current era, its easily Barasic. Papac was a big player for us for years, but he was a defender. Since half the teams we line up against domestically park the bus to the extreme, the left and right back are now attackers. We saw the difference when Flannigan came in for Tav least season, it doesn't work.

There is no comparison on that front, Barisic is one of the best attacking full backs we've ever had. He's technically excellent and the best crosser of a ball in the league. He picks player out with his delivery, with whipped in crosses, balls between the defence and goalie, and precision cut backs long and short.

Loved Sasa, but Borna wins, he's the real deal, at any level.

LucyBlue

In my opinion borna gets forward . Has more pace than sasa did. Can whip a good cross and proved multiple times he can ping a free kick.

Wasn’t too long ago that papac played for us but in that time the game had changed a lot and your LB and RB need to be seen to get forward more now.

Papac didn’t have that pace Borna does and if you swapped players and Papac played now he wouldn’t be able to do what borna currently does. But Borna could do a Papac role of 2008.

that’s not me saying Papac was bad. Loved the guy and he done well for us.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for that. Good measured opinion.

What I'd say is....Sasa spent twice the time at Rangers as Borna has and has scored twice the amount of goals...no free-kicks unlike Borna. Equal there then.

You're totally correct in that the game's evolved but I'd actually cite Sasa Papac as one of the first to be involved in that.

Let's not forget, he was a Centre-Half, recruited by a half-assed manager who disappeared soon into his tenure and then became a mainstay at left-back under one if not, our greatest manager ever.

Can you ever remember him having a bad game?

I only really recall him knocking himself out trying to prevent a goal vs them against the post and otherwise being a rock solid defender that we won multiple trophies with.

There's multiple youtube vids showing Papac crossing the ball from the left for us to score.

He won 8 trophies with us.

Barasic has won zero.

Let's get our perspective in proper place please.

Johansen

When Barasic is here for a significant amount of time, maybe 3 Seasons then as Rangers players they could be compared. Barasic us the better left back but Papac converted to that position very well and was a great success so at the moment Papac is ahead of Barasic,imo

CoulibalyLoyal

Thanks for that. Good measured opinion.

What I'd say is....Sasa spent twice the time at Rangers as Borna has and has scored twice the amount of goals...no free-kicks unlike Borna. Equal there then.

You're totally correct in that the game's evolved but I'd actually cite Sasa Papac as one of the first to be involved in that.

Let's not forget, he was a Centre-Half, recruited by a half-assed manager who disappeared soon into his tenure and then became a mainstay at left-back under one if not, our greatest manager ever.

Can you ever remember him having a bad game?

I only really recall him knocking himself out trying to prevent a goal vs them against the post and otherwise being a rock solid defender that we won multiple trophies with.

There's multiple youtube vids showing Papac crossing the ball from the left for us to score.

He won 8 trophies with us.

Barasic has won zero.

Let's get our perspective in proper place please.
The trophies fact is a bit unfair. Considering he’s played ina lesser strength team .

papac in his time had team mates the likes of fergie, Thomson, Davis - in his prime, Carlos cuellar, boyd scoring for fun to name a few.

If borna was in that team he would have won trophies too.

fjm86

Sasa Papac was a centre back untill Walter Smith played him at left back, where he played in a flat back four. For me he was defensively solid very reliable.
Borna is an attacking full back and Papac played out of position to great effect but you cant compare the two.

Johansen

These type of polls Should be discussed after the players are retired from the game. Barasic is only into his second season, it's a bit premature compare like for like,tbh

ssblue

This is a much closer one than the other thread even if the poll suggests otherwise.

Papac for me.

Might change my mind in 8 months though.

Kilwinnin Bluenose

It's absolutely no contest. Sasa Papac won trophies and got to a European final with us. Borna hasn't achieved anything like that yet despite being a very good player. When that changes, so will my vote.

LucyBlue

The trophies fact is a bit unfair. Considering he’s played ina lesser strength team .

papac in his time had team mates the likes of fergie, Thomson, Davis - in his prime, Carlos cuellar, boyd scoring for fun to name a few.

If borna was in that team he would have won trophies too.
Is it a lesser strength team though?

This was the most played team from his middle season...see wiki appearances.

McGregor
Whittaker
Broadfoot
Weir
Papac
Davis
Ferguson
McCulloch
Adam
Boyd
Miller

Better than now? Really? Papac had it easy?

C'mon...

LucyBlue

Is it a lesser strength team though?

This was the most played team from his middle season...see wiki appearances.

McGregor
Whittaker
Broadfoot
Weir
Papac
Davis
Ferguson
McCulloch
Adam
Boyd
Miller

Better than now? Really? Papac had it easy?

C'mon...

P.S That team won the league...with Papac.

erskine bear

Bit of a stretch to say it’s not comparable. Borna is much better suited to the modern game and flourishes under Gerrard, but Papac was the stereotypical Walter Smith defender; reliable, brilliant defensively and most importantly a winner.
Yeah probably, as I mentioned I love Sasa he was a solid defender.

Borna is miles miles better but, people use the title argument to define ability which is daft.

I think Borna will be mentioned as better than Numan in a few years.

Haining84

Fickle fans and short memories here IMO.

A year ago Borna was a dud.

Sasa won 3 leagues, 3 league cups and 2 scottish cups with us....Borna...nothing so far.

I think Borna is a great attacking fullback but he's far from a Sasa Papac as yet.

With reality goggles on, Sasa was easily a better defender.
Papac was a dud the first year too..

Monster

I think they both suit their eras better. Wouldn't have had borna in that team papac was in and vice versa.

Walker54

I still get a shiver down my spine when I think how many fans and regular contributors on this forum wanted rid of Borna at the very start of last season, I'd actually live to know who they all had in mind to replace him.

Fatbearblue

Administrator
Staff member
Papac is and was more solid to allow other players to venture forward.

Borna is fukking unbelievable in his deliveries, set plays and attacking prowess.

Both great but both different types.

I'll go Papac, I am sure Crocker misses his one liners about Papac being PLGs last remaining signing at Ibrox.
This wont be popular but while Barasic's deliveries can sometimes be lethal they are not as "consistently" brilliant as a lot of people make out.

Javi

Sasa wasn’t realy a left back, Walter just played him out of position for a few years, and in fairness it worked, but as a genuine LB Borna is better

Albertz Loyal

In the current era, its easily Barasic. Papac was a big player for us for years, but he was a defender. Since half the teams we line up against domestically park the bus to the extreme, the left and right back are now attackers. We saw the difference when Flannigan came in for Tav least season, it doesn't work.

There is no comparison on that front, Barisic is one of the best attacking full backs we've ever had. He's technically excellent and the best crosser of a ball in the league. He picks player out with his delivery, with whipped in crosses, balls between the defence and goalie, and precision cut backs long and short.

Loved Sasa, but Borna wins, he's the real deal, at any level.
Neither as good a Numan or Robertson

ICA_86

Genuinely no offence to the OP, but these polls are a shambles.

Outside of Davis and McGregor - the only two winners in the squad - there’s not one player that I’d ‘take’ over any of the genuine winners we’ve had that played regularly from Walter Smith’s most recent 3IAR.

Borna might be a better player, but talent is just half of it. Outside of the two above, not one player has shown the mental strength to see out a league campaign from a position of strength, they haven’t even managed a League Cup.

The players back then won three titles in a row, two League Cups and a Scottish Cup while being outspent by the papes, and made a European final.

Outside of possibly Broadfoot, there’s not one regular in this team that I’d take over any regular from Walter Smith’s most recent spell.

I heard an interview with Thierry Henry recently who said he that when he came through in France, plenty of players were better than him but his drive to improve and win took him above everyone else. I think people need to keep that in mind when thinking about whose better when comparing eras.

For me, the winners and the mentally strong competitors will always be the first choice.

rayrangers

The amount of headers Papac won at set pieces and crosses makes him by far the better player, to many youngsters on this thread have been deprived of watching real quality in a Championship winning team

erskine bear

Genuinely no offence to the OP, but these polls are a shambles.

Outside of Davis and McGregor - the only two winners in the squad - there’s not one player that I’d ‘take’ over any of the genuine winners we’ve had that played regularly from Walter Smith’s most recent 3IAR.

Borna might be a better player, but talent is just half of it. Outside of the two above, not one player has shown the mental strength to see out a league campaign from a position of strength, they haven’t even managed a League Cup.

The players back then won three titles in a row, two League Cups and a Scottish Cup while being outspent by the papes, and made a European final.

Outside of possibly Broadfoot, there’s not one regular in this team that I’d take over any regular from Walter Smith’s most recent spell.

I heard an interview with Thierry Henry recently who said he that when he came through in France, plenty of players were better than him but his drive to improve and win took him above everyone else. I think people need to keep that in mind when thinking about whose better when comparing eras.

For me, the winners and the mentally strong competitors will always be the first choice.
No disrespect mate, but defining a footballers ability by his trophy collection is ridiculous. It’s like comparing Jody Morris to Matt Le Tissier.

It’s weird, Borna is a significantly better footballer.

I honestly can’t believe this is even a debate, I love Sasa but our fans deem him ‘underrated’ he wasn’t, he was a consistent 6.5 or a 7/10.

He had his howlers, as did Weir and Boughie (I have every game of 08/09 and watched them back recently).

Borna is easily the best left back since AN.

change consent