Sasa or Borna?

Left back?

• Papac

Votes: 156 26.6%
  • Barisic

Votes: 431 73.4%

• Total voters

ICA_86

No disrespect mate, but defining a footballers ability by his trophy collection is ridiculous. It’s like comparing Jody Morris to Matt Le Tissier.

It’s weird, Borna is a significantly better footballer.

I honestly can’t believe this is even a debate, I love Sasa but our fans deem him ‘underrated’ he wasn’t, he was a consistent 6.5 or a 7/10.

He had his howlers, as did Weir and Boughie (I have every game of 08/09 and watched them back recently).

Borna is easily the best left back since AN.
I’m not comparing trophies though. I’ve seen this Rangers team bottle it twice in two years in the league, and several more times in the cups.

Barisic has proved nothing other than FF shouldn’t write players off after six months, while Papac proved everything.

None of this current team deserve to be spoken about on the same terms as Walter Smith’s most recent team, it’s as simple as that. Barisic is a cracking footballer, but whether he (or anyone else) has it in him to be a winner - sorry, you won’t like it, but it remains to be seen.

I see there being a huge difference between a cracking footballer, and a cracking footballer who is also absolutely hell-bent on winning everything.

Hurricane Run

No disrespect mate, but defining a footballers ability by his trophy collection is ridiculous. It’s like comparing Jody Morris to Matt Le Tissier.

It’s weird, Borna is a significantly better footballer.

I honestly can’t believe this is even a debate, I love Sasa but our fans deem him ‘underrated’ he wasn’t, he was a consistent 6.5 or a 7/10.

He had his howlers, as did Weir and Boughie (I have every game of 08/09 and watched them back recently).

Borna is easily the best left back since AN.
James Tavernier must be one of the shitest right backs weve ever had by this logic. Hes never won a major trophy in 5 yrs here, a feat I dont think has been achieved by anyone else in our modern history.

Its a nonsense. Papac benefited from from playing in a far more defensive set up. Its actually an apples to oranges comparison, but its a bit of fun so il indulge it. Borna is technically far superior, and a vastly greater attacking threat. Papac, was more solid defensively and miles better in the air. In terms of overall, Papac wouldn't get near Borna in our current set up, likewise I think Papac would get the nod in Smiths set up. Overall Bornas a better footballer and far more the archetypal "modern fullback"

erskine bear

I’m not comparing trophies though. I’ve seen this Rangers team bottle it twice in two years in the league, and several more times in the cups.

Barisic has proved nothing other than FF shouldn’t write players off after six months, while Papac proved everything.

None of this current team deserve to be spoken about on the same terms as Walter Smith’s most recent team, it’s as simple as that. Barisic is a cracking footballer, but whether he (or anyone else) has it in him to be a winner - sorry, you won’t like it, but it remains to be seen.

I see there being a huge difference between a cracking footballer, and a cracking footballer who is also absolutely hell-bent on winning everything.
We have numerous players who are better than the 07-11 teams. Being a ‘winner’ again does not define footballing ability.

That’s my point mate.

erskine bear

James Tavernier must be one of the shitest right backs weve ever had by this logic. Hes never won a major trophy in 5 yrs here, a feat I dont think has been achieved by anyone else in our modern history.

Its a nonsense. Papac benefited from from playing in a far more defensive set up. Its actually an apples to oranges comparison, but its a bit of fun so il indulge it. Borna is technically far superior, and a vastly greater attacking threat. Papac, was more solid defensively and miles better in the air. In terms of overall, Papac wouldn't get near Borna in our current set up, likewise I think Papac would get the nod in Smiths set up. Overall Bornas a better footballer and far more the archetypal "modern fullback"
It’s weird, I don’t get it.

It’s up there with the “we need some dig” patter.

ICA_86

We have numerous players who are better than the 07-11 teams. Being a ‘winner’ again does not define footballing ability.

That’s my point mate.
Being a winner is a huge part of being a successful footballer though, that’s what you seem to be missing from my point of view here. Through injuries, COVID and wherever else, Barisic hasn’t really had a chance to show what he’s like in those proper pressure games against the papes (excellent in the 2-1 a given) or the cup finals.

Barisic looks like he’s got it in him, and I wouldn’t ever doubt that he’s a better player technically than Papac, but just in my opinion based on what I’ve seen so far, it’s got to be Sasa.

ICA_86

What’s the debate though - who would you pick personally, or what player fits best into a Steven Gerrard 4-3-3 with two floating tens, as that’s two different answers?

erskine bear

Being a winner is a huge part of being a successful footballer though, that’s what you seem to be missing from my point of view here. Through injuries, COVID and wherever else, Barisic hasn’t really had a chance to show what he’s like in those proper pressure games against the papes (excellent in the 2-1 a given) or the cup finals.

Barisic looks like he’s got it in him, and I wouldn’t ever doubt that he’s a better player technically than Papac, but just in my opinion based on what I’ve seen so far, it’s got to be Sasa.
I agree but being a winner is subjective, Greg Wylde could be ‘winner’. A winning mentality isn’t always supported by a trophy haul.

Fair enough, i enjoy a debate and your presenting a polite and reasoned one. I just can’t agree :)) perhaps an age thing if I had the choice I’d have BB every day.

I love them both, grew up as a 7-11 year old watching one and now watching the other. Two tremendous players.

EDIT: FWIW there was a poster the other day claiming Stevie Smith was the best left back in Britain circa 06/07.

ICA_86

I agree but being a winner is subjective, Greg Wylde could be ‘winner’. A winning mentality isn’t always supported by a trophy haul.

Fair enough, i enjoy a debate and your presenting a polite and reasoned one. I just can’t agree :)) perhaps an age thing if I had the choice I’d have BB every day.

I love them both, grew up as a 7-11 year old watching one and now watching the other. Two tremendous players.
That’s why I was careful in using the word regulars mate.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s always a few like Wylde who are part of a squad, but with both Smith and Gerrard, you could pick out maybe 15-20 regulars for comparison purposes from their two most modern stints.

As a player, the answer is clearly Barisic but in terms of what they’ve proven both personally and for Rangers, it’s the Papac every single day of the week.

As someone else said, it’s the opposite of the Hutton/Tav poll.

Its a tough comparison.

Sasa was more solid at the defensive side of things where Borna i feel is better at the attacking duties.

Basing it on my preference of a style of left back, I will go for Borna. I think he's technically better. His energy to join the attack and his quality of delivery edges it for me.

It has took him a while to get settled in here but its now clear to see the quality he possesses. I think that free kick goal v St Mirren really was the turning point of his Rangers career. He's been a revelation since.

Hurricane Run

What’s the debate though - who would you pick personally, or what player fits best into a Steven Gerrard 4-3-3 with two floating tens, as that’s two different answers?
Well for me personally, Bornas the better footballer. Hes also the better fit in Gerrards team. If you were asking who I'd prefer to start at left back in an away champions league match - where we were looking to defend for our lives -id say Papac. Thats why I'm saying it's a bit of an apples to oranges debate.

Im not rubbishing it, its just a bit of fun though. I also can't see what relevance Papacs trophy count has though. Its not like he single handedly won them, even though I believe you were simply referring to mental strength as an asset - which it is

erskine bear

That’s why I was careful in using the word regulars mate.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s always a few like Wylde who are part of a squad, but with both Smith and Gerrard, you could pick out maybe 15-20 regulars for comparison purposes from their two most modern stints.

As a player, the answer is clearly Barisic but in terms of what they’ve proven both personally and for Rangers, it’s the Papac every single day of the week.

As someone else said, it’s the opposite of the Hutton/Tav poll.
That’s a bit upsetting.
Fair enough mate, I disagree but perhaps it’s just me. Like I said perhaps it’s my age. I actually think very few of our 3IAR team are good enough to play for our current team.

But that’s for a different thread:))

ICA_86

Well for me personally, Bornas the better footballer. Hes also the better fit in Gerrards team. If you were asking who I'd prefer to start at left back in an away champions league match - where we were looking to defend for our lives -id say Papac. Thats why I'm saying it's a bit of an apples to oranges debate.

Im not rubbishing it, its just a bit of fun though. I also can't see what relevance Papacs trophy count has though. Its not like he single handedly won them, even though I believe you were simply referring to mental strength as an asset - which it is
Yep. I totally see where anyone saying Barisic is coming from.

Bottom line nails what I was saying. I think mental strength accounts for 50% of the make up of a footballer just purely based on some of the interviews I’ve heard on the European football podcasts I listen to, and I’m still not there with a lot of the current squad.

As one of the biggest defenders of Barisic on here during his tough times though, I wouldn’t want anything above to suggest that I’m taking away from what a blisteringly good modern fullback he is - and his best achievement was getting it right up the brain dead fans who wanted him out.

Hurricane Run

Yep. I totally see where anyone saying Barisic is coming from.

Bottom line nails what I was saying. I think mental strength accounts for 50% of the make up of a footballer just purely based on some of the interviews I’ve heard on the European football podcasts I listen to, and I’m still not there with a lot of the current squad.

As one of the biggest defenders of Barisic on here during his tough times though, I wouldn’t want anything above to suggest that I’m taking away from what a blisteringly good modern fullback he is - and his best achievement was getting it right up the brain dead fans who wanted him out.
Yeah fair dues mate, I cant argue with that, but I wouldnt discount Barisics mental strength either.

He was a target for the boo boys, then dealt with multiple injuries, then faced the end of his Rangers career. He then took it upon himself to apologise to Gerrard, do extra gym work to cope with the physicality and completely turned his Rangers career around against the odds to become one of our most valuable assets and one of our biggest players. Hes shown himself to have excellent mental strength to achieve that.

SecondBestIsNothing

The one thing that annoyed me about Papac is how narrow he defended, I understand that he was naturally a CB and Smith liked the ‘let them cross because we’ll header them out’ approach but it was still frustrating to seeing a winger getting down the line and Sasa is standing 5-10 yards away to block the cross. Personally, I prefer Borna

bluelacoste

This is like a repeat from the 80's/90's, we all loved Munro who was a steady player and a fans favourite. However David Robertson was the better left back and added more to us as a team.

Fast forward to now, Sasa we all loved and was a steady player. However Borna is the better left back and has added more to us as a team.

GazzaG

Official Ticketer
Fickle fans and short memories here IMO.

A year ago Borna was a dud.

Sasa won 3 leagues, 3 league cups and 2 scottish cups with us....Borna...nothing so far.

I think Borna is a great attacking fullback but he's far from a Sasa Papac as yet.

With reality goggles on, Sasa was easily a better defender.
I wouldn't take seriously the opinion of anyone who thought Borna was a dud!

That's not even fickle, it's just stupidity.

Gers4life

I always felt Papac’s ability on the ball was significantly underrated by many but Barisic is a top drawer player and the best we’ve had since Numan

Topps

Ive went for papac but that is probably down to the fact his style of play was effective in a successful Rangers team.
Borna is certainly a better player technically going forward but i think papac was stronger defensively. The fact papac has a good handful of winners medals also skews my opinion towards him but that could change if borna becomes part of a successful Rangers team.

alex wright

This is like a repeat from the 80's/90's, we all loved Munro who was a steady player and a fans favourite. However David Robertson was the better left back and added more to us as a team.

Fast forward to now, Sasa we all loved and was a steady player. However Borna is the better left back and has added more to us as a team.
Munro was not universally loved, far from it at times. He was the favourite whipping boy for many as he was a cheap buy and not as big a name as the defenders beside him. It took time for his contribution to Rangers to be fully realised by sections of the support.

Albert left peg

Loved Papac, but in terms of modern full back there isn't much comparison, Papac is a cult hero and he was superb for us, he got it!
Borna is a special footballer and hopefully in years to come he will be remembered as fondly and also part of the team that brought home 55!!!

LD5

I loved Papac and he played a big part in winning many trophies, but hard to compare the situations. If Papac was in this team he wouldn't have won us any trophies himself and if Borna was in Walters team he would have won just as much as Papac.

Put it this way, could you get £15-20m for Papac nowadays?

Craigie

Following on from the Tav v Hutton poll, this one is about the other full back position.

Sasa Papac

Regular, dependable and ultra consistent. A rock defensively. Key man in multiple trophy wins and the run to a European final.

Versus

Borna Barisic

Athletic, quick, equally comfortable defending and attacking. Brilliant delivery into the box and creates goals. Good enough to be the left back for the World Cup runners up.

Different kinds of full back, but if you could had to pick one for your Rangers team, who gets your vote?
Let's be honest, for all Papac served Rangers tremendously well he only played left back because he wasn't up to scratch as a centre half, which was the role he was signed for.

Barisic all day long.

ICA_86

I loved Papac and he played a big part in winning many trophies, but hard to compare the situations. If Papac was in this team he wouldn't have won us any trophies himself and if Borna was in Walters team he would have won just as much as Papac.

Put it this way, could you get £15-20m for Papac nowadays?
We’ve still to see whether or not anyone would pay that for Barisic.

change consent