Sasa or Borna?

Left back?

• Papac

Votes: 156 26.6%
  • Barisic

Votes: 431 73.4%

• Total voters
These type of polls Should be discussed after the players are retired from the game. Barasic is only into his second season, it's a bit premature compare like for like,tbh

This is a much closer one than the other thread even if the poll suggests otherwise.

Papac for me.

Might change my mind in 8 months though.

It's absolutely no contest. Sasa Papac won trophies and got to a European final with us. Borna hasn't achieved anything like that yet despite being a very good player. When that changes, so will my vote.

The trophies fact is a bit unfair. Considering he’s played ina lesser strength team .

papac in his time had team mates the likes of fergie, Thomson, Davis - in his prime, Carlos cuellar, boyd scoring for fun to name a few.

If borna was in that team he would have won trophies too.

Is it a lesser strength team though?

This was the most played team from his middle season...see wiki appearances.

McGregor
Whittaker
Broadfoot
Weir
Papac
Davis
Ferguson
McCulloch
Adam
Boyd
Miller

Better than now? Really? Papac had it easy?

C'mon...

Is it a lesser strength team though?

This was the most played team from his middle season...see wiki appearances.

McGregor
Whittaker
Broadfoot
Weir
Papac
Davis
Ferguson
McCulloch
Adam
Boyd
Miller

Better than now? Really? Papac had it easy?

C'mon...

P.S That team won the league...with Papac.

Bit of a stretch to say it’s not comparable. Borna is much better suited to the modern game and flourishes under Gerrard, but Papac was the stereotypical Walter Smith defender; reliable, brilliant defensively and most importantly a winner.
Yeah probably, as I mentioned I love Sasa he was a solid defender.

Borna is miles miles better but, people use the title argument to define ability which is daft.

I think Borna will be mentioned as better than Numan in a few years.

Fickle fans and short memories here IMO.

A year ago Borna was a dud.

Sasa won 3 leagues, 3 league cups and 2 scottish cups with us....Borna...nothing so far.

I think Borna is a great attacking fullback but he's far from a Sasa Papac as yet.

With reality goggles on, Sasa was easily a better defender.
Papac was a dud the first year too..

I think they both suit their eras better. Wouldn't have had borna in that team papac was in and vice versa.

I still get a shiver down my spine when I think how many fans and regular contributors on this forum wanted rid of Borna at the very start of last season, I'd actually live to know who they all had in mind to replace him.

Papac is and was more solid to allow other players to venture forward.

Borna is fukking unbelievable in his deliveries, set plays and attacking prowess.

Both great but both different types.

I'll go Papac, I am sure Crocker misses his one liners about Papac being PLGs last remaining signing at Ibrox.

This wont be popular but while Barasic's deliveries can sometimes be lethal they are not as "consistently" brilliant as a lot of people make out.

Sasa wasn’t realy a left back, Walter just played him out of position for a few years, and in fairness it worked, but as a genuine LB Borna is better

In the current era, its easily Barasic. Papac was a big player for us for years, but he was a defender. Since half the teams we line up against domestically park the bus to the extreme, the left and right back are now attackers. We saw the difference when Flannigan came in for Tav least season, it doesn't work.

There is no comparison on that front, Barisic is one of the best attacking full backs we've ever had. He's technically excellent and the best crosser of a ball in the league. He picks player out with his delivery, with whipped in crosses, balls between the defence and goalie, and precision cut backs long and short.

Loved Sasa, but Borna wins, he's the real deal, at any level.
Neither as good a Numan or Robertson

Genuinely no offence to the OP, but these polls are a shambles.

Outside of Davis and McGregor - the only two winners in the squad - there’s not one player that I’d ‘take’ over any of the genuine winners we’ve had that played regularly from Walter Smith’s most recent 3IAR.

Borna might be a better player, but talent is just half of it. Outside of the two above, not one player has shown the mental strength to see out a league campaign from a position of strength, they haven’t even managed a League Cup.

The players back then won three titles in a row, two League Cups and a Scottish Cup while being outspent by the papes, and made a European final.

Outside of possibly Broadfoot, there’s not one regular in this team that I’d take over any regular from Walter Smith’s most recent spell.

I heard an interview with Thierry Henry recently who said he that when he came through in France, plenty of players were better than him but his drive to improve and win took him above everyone else. I think people need to keep that in mind when thinking about whose better when comparing eras.

For me, the winners and the mentally strong competitors will always be the first choice.

The amount of headers Papac won at set pieces and crosses makes him by far the better player, to many youngsters on this thread have been deprived of watching real quality in a Championship winning team

Genuinely no offence to the OP, but these polls are a shambles.

Outside of Davis and McGregor - the only two winners in the squad - there’s not one player that I’d ‘take’ over any of the genuine winners we’ve had that played regularly from Walter Smith’s most recent 3IAR.

Borna might be a better player, but talent is just half of it. Outside of the two above, not one player has shown the mental strength to see out a league campaign from a position of strength, they haven’t even managed a League Cup.

The players back then won three titles in a row, two League Cups and a Scottish Cup while being outspent by the papes, and made a European final.

Outside of possibly Broadfoot, there’s not one regular in this team that I’d take over any regular from Walter Smith’s most recent spell.

I heard an interview with Thierry Henry recently who said he that when he came through in France, plenty of players were better than him but his drive to improve and win took him above everyone else. I think people need to keep that in mind when thinking about whose better when comparing eras.

For me, the winners and the mentally strong competitors will always be the first choice.
No disrespect mate, but defining a footballers ability by his trophy collection is ridiculous. It’s like comparing Jody Morris to Matt Le Tissier.

It’s weird, Borna is a significantly better footballer.

I honestly can’t believe this is even a debate, I love Sasa but our fans deem him ‘underrated’ he wasn’t, he was a consistent 6.5 or a 7/10.

He had his howlers, as did Weir and Boughie (I have every game of 08/09 and watched them back recently).

Borna is easily the best left back since AN.

No disrespect mate, but defining a footballers ability by his trophy collection is ridiculous. It’s like comparing Jody Morris to Matt Le Tissier.

I honestly can’t believe this is even a debate, I love Sasa but our fans deem him ‘underrated’ he wasn’t, he was a consistent 6.5 or a 7/10.

He had his howlers, as did Weir and Boughie (I have every game of 08/09 and watched them back recently).

I’m not comparing trophies though. I’ve seen this Rangers team bottle it twice in two years in the league, and several more times in the cups.

Barisic has proved nothing other than FF shouldn’t write players off after six months, while Papac proved everything.

None of this current team deserve to be spoken about on the same terms as Walter Smith’s most recent team, it’s as simple as that. Barisic is a cracking footballer, but whether he (or anyone else) has it in him to be a winner - sorry, you won’t like it, but it remains to be seen.

I see there being a huge difference between a cracking footballer, and a cracking footballer who is also absolutely hell-bent on winning everything.

James Tavernier must be one of the shitest right backs weve ever had by this logic. Hes never won a major trophy in 5 yrs here, a feat I dont think has been achieved by anyone else in our modern history.

Its a nonsense. Papac benefited from from playing in a far more defensive set up. Its actually an apples to oranges comparison, but its a bit of fun so il indulge it. Borna is technically far superior, and a vastly greater attacking threat. Papac, was more solid defensively and miles better in the air. In terms of overall, Papac wouldn't get near Borna in our current set up, likewise I think Papac would get the nod in Smiths set up. Overall Bornas a better footballer and far more the archetypal "modern fullback"

I’m not comparing trophies though. I’ve seen this Rangers team bottle it twice in two years in the league, and several more times in the cups.

Barisic has proved nothing other than FF shouldn’t write players off after six months, while Papac proved everything.

None of this current team deserve to be spoken about on the same terms as Walter Smith’s most recent team, it’s as simple as that. Barisic is a cracking footballer, but whether he (or anyone else) has it in him to be a winner - sorry, you won’t like it, but it remains to be seen.

I see there being a huge difference between a cracking footballer, and a cracking footballer who is also absolutely hell-bent on winning everything.
We have numerous players who are better than the 07-11 teams. Being a ‘winner’ again does not define footballing ability.

That’s my point mate.

James Tavernier must be one of the shitest right backs weve ever had by this logic. Hes never won a major trophy in 5 yrs here, a feat I dont think has been achieved by anyone else in our modern history.

Its a nonsense. Papac benefited from from playing in a far more defensive set up. Its actually an apples to oranges comparison, but its a bit of fun so il indulge it. Borna is technically far superior, and a vastly greater attacking threat. Papac, was more solid defensively and miles better in the air. In terms of overall, Papac wouldn't get near Borna in our current set up, likewise I think Papac would get the nod in Smiths set up. Overall Bornas a better footballer and far more the archetypal "modern fullback"
It’s weird, I don’t get it.

It’s up there with the “we need some dig” patter.

We have numerous players who are better than the 07-11 teams. Being a ‘winner’ again does not define footballing ability.

That’s my point mate.

Being a winner is a huge part of being a successful footballer though, that’s what you seem to be missing from my point of view here. Through injuries, COVID and wherever else, Barisic hasn’t really had a chance to show what he’s like in those proper pressure games against the papes (excellent in the 2-1 a given) or the cup finals.

Barisic looks like he’s got it in him, and I wouldn’t ever doubt that he’s a better player technically than Papac, but just in my opinion based on what I’ve seen so far, it’s got to be Sasa.

What’s the debate though - who would you pick personally, or what player fits best into a Steven Gerrard 4-3-3 with two floating tens, as that’s two different answers?

Being a winner is a huge part of being a successful footballer though, that’s what you seem to be missing from my point of view here. Through injuries, COVID and wherever else, Barisic hasn’t really had a chance to show what he’s like in those proper pressure games against the papes (excellent in the 2-1 a given) or the cup finals.

Barisic looks like he’s got it in him, and I wouldn’t ever doubt that he’s a better player technically than Papac, but just in my opinion based on what I’ve seen so far, it’s got to be Sasa.
I agree but being a winner is subjective, Greg Wylde could be ‘winner’. A winning mentality isn’t always supported by a trophy haul.

Fair enough, i enjoy a debate and your presenting a polite and reasoned one. I just can’t agree :)) perhaps an age thing if I had the choice I’d have BB every day.

I love them both, grew up as a 7-11 year old watching one and now watching the other. Two tremendous players.

EDIT: FWIW there was a poster the other day claiming Stevie Smith was the best left back in Britain circa 06/07.

I agree but being a winner is subjective, Greg Wylde could be ‘winner’. A winning mentality isn’t always supported by a trophy haul.

Fair enough, i enjoy a debate and your presenting a polite and reasoned one. I just can’t agree :)) perhaps an age thing if I had the choice I’d have BB every day.

I love them both, grew up as a 7-11 year old watching one and now watching the other. Two tremendous players.

That’s why I was careful in using the word regulars mate.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s always a few like Wylde who are part of a squad, but with both Smith and Gerrard, you could pick out maybe 15-20 regulars for comparison purposes from their two most modern stints.

As a player, the answer is clearly Barisic but in terms of what they’ve proven both personally and for Rangers, it’s the Papac every single day of the week.

As someone else said, it’s the opposite of the Hutton/Tav poll.

Its a tough comparison.

Sasa was more solid at the defensive side of things where Borna i feel is better at the attacking duties.

Basing it on my preference of a style of left back, I will go for Borna. I think he's technically better. His energy to join the attack and his quality of delivery edges it for me.

It has took him a while to get settled in here but its now clear to see the quality he possesses. I think that free kick goal v St Mirren really was the turning point of his Rangers career. He's been a revelation since.

What’s the debate though - who would you pick personally, or what player fits best into a Steven Gerrard 4-3-3 with two floating tens, as that’s two different answers?

Well for me personally, Bornas the better footballer. Hes also the better fit in Gerrards team. If you were asking who I'd prefer to start at left back in an away champions league match - where we were looking to defend for our lives -id say Papac. Thats why I'm saying it's a bit of an apples to oranges debate.

Im not rubbishing it, its just a bit of fun though. I also can't see what relevance Papacs trophy count has though. Its not like he single handedly won them, even though I believe you were simply referring to mental strength as an asset - which it is

That’s why I was careful in using the word regulars mate.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s always a few like Wylde who are part of a squad, but with both Smith and Gerrard, you could pick out maybe 15-20 regulars for comparison purposes from their two most modern stints.

As a player, the answer is clearly Barisic but in terms of what they’ve proven both personally and for Rangers, it’s the Papac every single day of the week.

As someone else said, it’s the opposite of the Hutton/Tav poll.
That’s a bit upsetting.
Fair enough mate, I disagree but perhaps it’s just me. Like I said perhaps it’s my age. I actually think very few of our 3IAR team are good enough to play for our current team.

But that’s for a different thread:))

It’s weird, I don’t get it.

It’s up there with the “we need some dig” patter.

Aye there's millions of example as to why its poor logic. Scott Browns won the last 3 major trophies in 3 consecutive years. Hes still the textbook definition of bang average and wouldnt get near our current midfield

This is meant as a laugh and not a dig, does anyone remember when Sasa would try hit a free kick. Jesus they were bad :))

Well for me personally, Bornas the better footballer. Hes also the better fit in Gerrards team. If you were asking who I'd prefer to start at left back in an away champions league match - where we were looking to defend for our lives -id say Papac. Thats why I'm saying it's a bit of an apples to oranges debate.

Im not rubbishing it, its just a bit of fun though. I also can't see what relevance Papacs trophy count has though. Its not like he single handedly won them, even though I believe you were simply referring to mental strength as an asset - which it is

Yep. I totally see where anyone saying Barisic is coming from.

Bottom line nails what I was saying. I think mental strength accounts for 50% of the make up of a footballer just purely based on some of the interviews I’ve heard on the European football podcasts I listen to, and I’m still not there with a lot of the current squad.

As one of the biggest defenders of Barisic on here during his tough times though, I wouldn’t want anything above to suggest that I’m taking away from what a blisteringly good modern fullback he is - and his best achievement was getting it right up the brain dead fans who wanted him out.

This is meant as a laugh and not a dig, does anyone remember when Sasa would try hit a free kick. Jesus they were bad :))

Did you not see his assist for Mendes at Tannadice when we won the league there :oops:

Off the wall, right to Pedro’s feet.

Back