Sasa or Borna?

Left back?

• Papac

Votes: 156 26.6%
  • Barisic

Votes: 431 73.4%

• Total voters
Yep. I totally see where anyone saying Barisic is coming from.

Bottom line nails what I was saying. I think mental strength accounts for 50% of the make up of a footballer just purely based on some of the interviews I’ve heard on the European football podcasts I listen to, and I’m still not there with a lot of the current squad.

As one of the biggest defenders of Barisic on here during his tough times though, I wouldn’t want anything above to suggest that I’m taking away from what a blisteringly good modern fullback he is - and his best achievement was getting it right up the brain dead fans who wanted him out.

Yeah fair dues mate, I cant argue with that, but I wouldnt discount Barisics mental strength either.

He was a target for the boo boys, then dealt with multiple injuries, then faced the end of his Rangers career. He then took it upon himself to apologise to Gerrard, do extra gym work to cope with the physicality and completely turned his Rangers career around against the odds to become one of our most valuable assets and one of our biggest players. Hes shown himself to have excellent mental strength to achieve that.

The one thing that annoyed me about Papac is how narrow he defended, I understand that he was naturally a CB and Smith liked the ‘let them cross because we’ll header them out’ approach but it was still frustrating to seeing a winger getting down the line and Sasa is standing 5-10 yards away to block the cross. Personally, I prefer Borna

This is like a repeat from the 80's/90's, we all loved Munro who was a steady player and a fans favourite. However David Robertson was the better left back and added more to us as a team.

Fast forward to now, Sasa we all loved and was a steady player. However Borna is the better left back and has added more to us as a team.

Fickle fans and short memories here IMO.

A year ago Borna was a dud.

Sasa won 3 leagues, 3 league cups and 2 scottish cups with us....Borna...nothing so far.

I think Borna is a great attacking fullback but he's far from a Sasa Papac as yet.

With reality goggles on, Sasa was easily a better defender.
I wouldn't take seriously the opinion of anyone who thought Borna was a dud!

That's not even fickle, it's just stupidity.

I always felt Papac’s ability on the ball was significantly underrated by many but Barisic is a top drawer player and the best we’ve had since Numan

Ive went for papac but that is probably down to the fact his style of play was effective in a successful Rangers team.
Borna is certainly a better player technically going forward but i think papac was stronger defensively. The fact papac has a good handful of winners medals also skews my opinion towards him but that could change if borna becomes part of a successful Rangers team.

This is like a repeat from the 80's/90's, we all loved Munro who was a steady player and a fans favourite. However David Robertson was the better left back and added more to us as a team.

Fast forward to now, Sasa we all loved and was a steady player. However Borna is the better left back and has added more to us as a team.

Munro was not universally loved, far from it at times. He was the favourite whipping boy for many as he was a cheap buy and not as big a name as the defenders beside him. It took time for his contribution to Rangers to be fully realised by sections of the support.

Loved Papac, but in terms of modern full back there isn't much comparison, Papac is a cult hero and he was superb for us, he got it!
Borna is a special footballer and hopefully in years to come he will be remembered as fondly and also part of the team that brought home 55!!!

Same answers, in reverse, as the other thread.

Best player on their best day? Borna

Best player over their career? Sasa, so far (although I think that will change)

Best player for Rangers? Sasa, so far (although I think that will change)

I think you've nailed it there. All depends on how long Borna stays with us.

I loved Papac and he played a big part in winning many trophies, but hard to compare the situations. If Papac was in this team he wouldn't have won us any trophies himself and if Borna was in Walters team he would have won just as much as Papac.

Put it this way, could you get £15-20m for Papac nowadays?

Following on from the Tav v Hutton poll, this one is about the other full back position.

Sasa Papac

Regular, dependable and ultra consistent. A rock defensively. Key man in multiple trophy wins and the run to a European final.

Versus

Borna Barisic

Athletic, quick, equally comfortable defending and attacking. Brilliant delivery into the box and creates goals. Good enough to be the left back for the World Cup runners up.

Different kinds of full back, but if you could had to pick one for your Rangers team, who gets your vote?
Let's be honest, for all Papac served Rangers tremendously well he only played left back because he wasn't up to scratch as a centre half, which was the role he was signed for.

Barisic all day long.

I loved Papac and he played a big part in winning many trophies, but hard to compare the situations. If Papac was in this team he wouldn't have won us any trophies himself and if Borna was in Walters team he would have won just as much as Papac.

Put it this way, could you get £15-20m for Papac nowadays?

We’ve still to see whether or not anyone would pay that for Barisic.

We’ve still to see whether or not anyone would pay that for Barisic.
True, but at least it still seems a possibility. To me Barisic could slot in to some of the top teams around Europe, I never got that feeling with Sasa as good as he was for us.

As much as I loved big Sasa, Borna's attacking threat puts him in the lead, I believe Borna is one of the best left backs in the UK atm and maybe even Europe! Just my opinion of course.

At this moment it is Sasa.
A mainstay of a team who won 3 League titles and reached a UEFA cup final. Some tremendous defensive performances from him individually in that time, including an outstanding man-marking job on Messi in 2007.

I hope in 5 years time, we can have this argument again and Borna has racked up the trophies and performances to make him clearly the better of the two, but at this moment he hasn’t yet achieved that.

Can't really compare. Papac played in a better team against a higher standard of opposition. Barasic plays for us under entirely different circumstances.

Papac is and was more solid to allow other players to venture forward.

Borna is fukking unbelievable in his deliveries, set plays and attacking prowess.

Both great but both different types.

I'll go Papac, I am sure Crocker misses his one liners about Papac being PLGs last remaining signing at Ibrox.

Completely fair analysis.

Very different types of player.

I’m tempted to vote Borna, but feel I’d be traitoring a really fine servant of the club and a great player in his own right.

I’m abstaining. :)

It really shouldn’t be a contest if Borna sticks around for another season.

Far better footballer with a significant end product.

Papac was a dependable full back who holds a far higher status amongst some sections of the support than his contribution merits for me.

So the comparison is Papac the sturdy and dependable but limited left back who won 3 leagues, 2 Scottish cups and 3 league cups.

Versus

Borna the Invincible, won nothing, hardly kicked a ball in his first season or after Christmas in his second, scored to win at St Mirren and got a song in tribute.

Tough choice these polls.

So the comparison is Papac the sturdy and dependable but limited left back who won 3 leagues, 2 Scottish cups and 3 league cups.

Versus

Borna the Invincible, won nothing, hardly kicked a ball in his first season or after Christmas in his second, scored to win at St Mirren and got a song in tribute.

Tough choice these polls.

Yeah because Papac won all those honours himself and you ignored the line where I said if Borna sticks around for another season.

If Borna played in the side Papac did do you think he would have contributed more to the side? Given he is far more productive.

Yeah because Papac won all those honours himself and you ignored the line where I said if Borna sticks around for another season.

If Borna played in the side Papac did do you think he would have contributed more to the side? Given he is far more productive.
As I said his first season was a non event. Presume we'd agree on that? And post Christmas second season like the rest he was posted missing in action.

Player by player in our side are heralded as best in class, ok make that Scotland by our fans. We've won no major honours for close on a decade.

Borna might look the part at times but his Rangers highlights wouldnt run for long on DVD.

Papac for me all day every day.

The better player at this moment for Rangers is Papac. Will Barisic over take that who knows let’s not forget not long ago the vast majority on here wanted rid.

Could Borna do it on a Saturday at Tynecastle in the Scottish cup quarter final to keep our season alive? Nope.

Morelos missing from another vital game , this time due to his antics off the pitch.

Two heroes who have won us nothing, glimpses of magic not enough for me.

Could Borna do it on a Saturday at Tynecastle in the Scottish cup quarter final to keep our season alive? Nope.

Morelos missing from another vital game , this time due to his antics off the pitch.

Two heroes who have won us nothing, glimpses of magic not enough for me.
That still annoys me left us with Greg Stewart up top. Wasn’t confident on bus going when we seen the line up, much like the 2-0 game to papes at Ibrox most on bus when seen the line up looked and confidence went

Back