Saturday's Football

Sorry, I meant wage wise.

They have a wage budget similar to Reading, and lower than 12 teams (I think) in Serie A.
How do we compare to Reading, out of interest?

I don't think we can afford to pay big money for players. Ryan Kent was the exception to the rule and even at that, is that even classed as big money compared to what Atalanta have been paying?

I genuinely don't know the answer to the questions, but I'd imagine our budget definitely ISN'T the same as anyone's in the Champions League until we get there ourselves.

I don't think we can afford to pay big money for players. Ryan Kent was the exception to the rule and even at that, is that even classed as big money compared to what Atalanta have been paying?

I genuinely don't know the answer to the questions, but I'd imagine our budget definitely ISN'T the same as anyone's in the Champions League until we get there ourselves.
Our wage budget is pretty similar to Reading/Atalanta.

Atalanta pay decent fees for players, but they don’t pay huge wages. They’ve only been in the CL for a couple of years, so they aren’t quite spending fortunes just now (usually about £10-15m).
They pay fairly decent fees for players, but they trade so many players for ridiculous profit that probably allows them to pay higher fees than a club of their size should.

(Kessie, Caldara, Kulusevski, getting £48m from United for Diallo who had played about 7 games, to name a few)

They were having to play their European games in Milan not too long ago, as their stadium didn’t meet Uefa requirements.

Their top earners (Zapata & Muriel) are only on about £1.5m a year.

I suspect, a couple more years of CL then they will obviously develop further. However, right now they are hugely over achieving.

To answer your question, our budget dwarfs some CL sides over the past couple of years.

Last edited:

When we made the Europa League group stages in Gerrard first season our wage bill was comparable with Ipswich Towns I’m sure.

I think our wage budget now would probably be top end of the English Championship, it may even be similar to Norwich’s or Brentford’s.

I’m pretty sure our budget this season is bigger than Malmö’s (who put us our in the qualifiers). I think our budget would be comfortably bigger than FC Sheriffs too and would either be similar or slightly bigger than Club Bruges and Young Boys budgets.

What a miss from Maupay.

Lamptey will be at a “big 6” team next year.
Remarkable Chelsea were able to let him leave for relative peanuts, shows the strength in depth.

Bayern tried to sign him in January IIRC.

Don’t really understand why Bielsa is never under pressure. Leeds could easily go down this season based on what we’ve seen so far

Trossard looks a smashing footballer

He’s having some game

Brighton Leeds has been a cracking watch so far

loyalty? he finally got them up after what felt like an eternity

I’ve a mate who’s a Leeds fan and he won’t even entertain the thought of relegation he’s that confident Bielsa will do the business for them.

I was worried for Leeds before the season started and I still think they’ll go down.

If you’ve missed it watching the football - congratulations to Scotland who have just clinched the European Curling Championships by defeating Sweden

Accies go out of the cup to a team four tiers below us.

Pathetic, predictable, and par for the course for Accies in cups these days.

Well done, Auchinleck Talbot.
I watched Hamilton on the tv a few weeks ago you got battered by partick i think it finished 6-1, are you in danger of going down again?
Todays result wasn't that much of a surprise, i fancied Talbot to win

Maupay misses another good chance, but Yorkshire referee Craig Pawson called it back to give Leeds a free kick for a dive anyway.

I watched Hamilton on the tv a few weeks ago you got battered by partick i think it finished 6-1, are you in danger of going down again?
Todays result wasn't that much of a surprise, i fancied Talbot to win
Somebody posted AT were 12/1 and had been bet into 12/5. Had a look and they were 4/1. Should have stuck a few quid on

Just got in and stuck the Bayern Munich on.

0-0 after 54 minutes but most noticeable is that the stadium is almost empty.

Is the German league on restricted numbers in the stadiums?

Villa is hardly tin pot.

Of course they’re not but some people here just can’t let go and it’s getting boring.

I’m shocked that people think a young English manager is going to stay at Rangers over a historically big, underachieving English team who’s squad has the potential to rise up the table.

Back