Scary lineup

The 3-5-2 would be sex on legs.

McGregor
Goldson Worral Katic (or MacAuley)
Tav Davis Arfield Jack Barisic
Defoe Morelos

Can fire on Kent for Arfield in the 10 behind the strikers. Variety from the 433.

A traditional 442 also looks impressive.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Worral Barisic
Candeias Davis Jack or Arfield Kent
Defoe Morelos
I like your 4-4-2...I think the front 2 would tear the Sphell defences apart including the mentally challengeds.

-------------McGregor--------------
---Davis Jack Arfield Kent---
-----------Morelos-----------------
-----------------Defoe----------------

Davis playing the narrower McCulloch role allowing Tav to overlap and combine with Morelos down the right.
Barisic and Kent tearing it up down the left.
Defoe playing as main striker will lap up the goals.

The 3-5-2 would be sex on legs.

McGregor
Goldson Worral Katic (or MacAuley)
Tav Davis Arfield Jack Barisic
Defoe Morelos

Can fire on Kent for Arfield in the 10 behind the strikers. Variety from the 433.

A traditional 442 also looks impressive.

McGregor
Candeias Davis Jack or Arfield Kent
Defoe Morelos

Take candieas out and you are there

Have you not seen us this season?

Tav and barisic have played like wingers at Ibrox, it's perfect for when teams put 10 behind the ball.
Width from Kent and full backs.
Yes, but they have played with Candias and Grezda or Middleton on the sides. Who do the full backs pair up with, with out pulling a midfielder out of midfield?
You cant expect kent to be on both sides when play is switched.

..............................McGregor

Tav.............Goldson............Katic..........Barisic
..................................Jack
......................Davis...........Arfield
..................................Kent
.......................Defoe...........Morelos

Kent with free role to run either wing or at 10

If we can keep that starting 11 free from injury and can play if majority of games, we’ve got an extremely good chance of winning this league.

Yes, but they have played with Candias and Grezda or Middleton on the sides. Who do the full backs pair up with, with out pulling a midfielder out of midfield?
You cant expect kent to be on both sides when play is switched.
Why do they need someone to pair up with? It depends on how you want to play the game.

Who do wing backs pair up with?

Why do they need someone to pair up with? It depends on how you want to play the game.

Who do wing backs pair up with?
Tav and Candias formed a great partnership, The left side still needs work on but Barisic and Gredza have good experience playing together.

Damn that looks like a VERY good team right there, maybe not Katic until we are 12 points clear then let him play for the last 3 months;)

Worral for Katie, and it looks good.

Width from Morelos and to a lesser extent Defoe.

If Morelos starts pulling wide into channels and creating 2 v 1's with Tav or Kent that's where you can find width and start pulling on defenders.

A front 3 of Kent, Morelos and Defoe is fine even with one of Defoe or Morelos playing in wide areas.

The only scary thing about this thread is that people think we are now good enough.

Simply not true. We may now have a strong first XI, but we still need a lot more depth.

Nobody has picked a better team than the original OP.
I think that team would cause a lot of problems for the opposition.

The only scary thing about this thread is that people think we are now good enough.

Simply not true. We may now have a strong first XI, but we still need a lot more depth.

I think we are good enough to beat 11 of the 12 teams we play the most often - often - in what way is that scary?

take out tav?

Defoe starts in a 442 at Ibrox in lesser games, with him and Lafferty great options off the bench when we are 433 at Piggery/Pittodrie/Tynecastle etc and need a goal.
Not forgetting the inevitable Morelos suspension

Slow day on first day back at work, who would win, left out long term injuries Dorrans and Murphy, Wallace as I reckon he is for the off. Going 4 -3 - 3 so Lafferty sub for both teams.

McGregor
Flanagan Goldson Worrall Barisic
Rossiter Davis McCrorie
Kent Morelos Grezda

Or

Wes
Tav McAuley Katic Halliday
Jack Arfield Coulibaly
Candeias Defoe Middleton

Subs bench
McCrorie
Worral/McCauley
Halliday/ Flanagan
Mcrorie/coulibaly/rossiter
Candeias / Grezda/ Middleton
Kamara
Lafferty/jones

A multitude of riches and it will be hard for SG to keep everyone happy. It will be squad rotation and horses for courses I think.

McGregor

Goldson Worral

Tav Jack Barisic

Davis Arfield

Thought our 4-3-3 worked just fine against the scum last week.

McGregor

Jack
Davis Arfield

Defoe Morelos Kent

Kent can drift from wing to wing with Defoe and Fredo more central.

Excellent bench to include.......

Wes, McAuley, McCrorie, Flanagan, Halliday, Candeias and Lafferty

Tav is nowhere near as effective without Candeias.

Kent is a winger not a 10.

Worral will start in front of Katic for the forseeable.

This for me. Candeias needs to be there for Tav. Tav not as effective when Candeias doesn't play.

Thought our 4-3-3 worked just fine against the scum last week.

McGregor

Jack
Davis Arfield

Defoe Morelos Kent

Kent can drift from wing to wing with Defoe and Fredo more central.

Excellent bench to include.......

Wes, McAuley, McCrorie, Flanagan, Halliday, Candeias and Lafferty

it was more of a 4-2-3-1 against that mob was it not? Arfield playing the number ten....

I like the idea of a midfield of Jack in the centre, Davis to his right hand Arfield to his left. Kent then can drift from side to side to create an overlap on either wing with the full back. Davis / Arfield moving wider to the side he’s not on l to make sure we are well enough covered on the break.

Never been a fan of the diamond formation

I prefer my teams much more compact
an I think we’re a better team with mcrorie an Jack protecting

Leaves the other slots up for grabs for the creativity

I'd go with that 100% mate.

Midfield to front is exactly as per for today’s game. Let’s see how it goes ;)

Yep. Only changes would be if we get an upgrade on Arfield for attacking mid or if McCrorie plays his way ahead of Jack.

However it does leave us a bit weaker down the flanks than we have been. That is ok against most opposition but in Europe or against Celtic or a team with a good winger, I think we’ll go to the ‘normal’ 4,3,3.

I think Candeias and Defoe will be subbed for each other quite often.

I am not convinced by Barisic yet , I feel LB is our main area of weakness. I would also be reluctant to drop Candias but we seem pretty strong all over the park except LB.

I am not convinced by Barisic yet , I feel LB is our main area of weakness. I would also be reluctant to drop Candias but we seem pretty strong all over the park except LB.

Barisic deliveries are light years ahead of Candeias and Tav's, for that he is to be considered, my fear is that he is made of chocolate though.

Candeias and Tav though need to be played together, they work very well together, in that Candeias offers great cover for Tav, when he goes marauding.

I'd be tempted to go like this against stubborn sides (most of the SPHELL) playing the two bank defence.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Worrall Barisic
Jack
Candeias Davis Kent
Arfield
Morelos

Where is Defoe you may ask.

Tav and Barasic move into MF, when teams sit in.

3-5-2​

This leaves Goldson and Worrall with Jack slightly ahead of them, forming a central defensive triangle. But they have to sit higher up the pitch though, this would require McGregor to play sweeper keeper, something actually better suited to Wes tbh.

Jack has Davis back and this allows him to pull the strings in the middle of the park.

Tav and Barasic on the flanks, Candeias and Kent offering in balls and Morelos peeling off right and Arfield goes central, Arfield goes left Morelos goes central.

Arfield battering into the box supporting Morelos, when we take the wide route down the flanks, Candeias and Kent picking up on over hit and under hit balls.

Last edited:
I think its going to be very risky changing our formation half way through the season to accomodate a player.

Don’t feel the diamond worked at all today, left us exposed in the wide areas and too compact in the middle with acres of space out wide that wasn’t being exploited.

It should remain 433 with Morelos up top supported by Kent & Candeias. If theres some games that it’ll suit us to change formation if the coaching staff feel its needed then fair enough.

While maybe not first pick in highest quality team, i think i would find It hard to drop candeias. His link up with tav and also alfie at times is top quality, and if defoe is in the side i can see him getting across defender at front post at times candeias underhits crosses giving defoe plenty chances to score.

For me right now though, the best thing i can say is i have no real idea either best 11 or even best system for team to play due to the amount of options. I just hope Gerrard can pick the right team at the right time!

I would argue that McCrorie plays the deep lying midfield role better than Jack in this formation.

The idea being if Tav is caught forward and Goldson has to slide right McCrorie becomes a secondary center back. Same applies on the left side.

Last edited:
How many would have said that before the celtic game he made me eat my words anyway
Celtic were poor he never really got tested, he is too calamitous for me and no point developing him as he has stated he is going back to Forrest.
I’d play Katic as he is good enough for this league and will get better the more he plays

Back