Scoreboard Pressure

Coza

Yes its a somewhat Americanised phrase but I think it did tell on them last season and could play a vital part in the title destination this year also. They had 3 games in hand for ages last year and the more prudent amongst us just took it as read they would pick up 9 points - in the end I think get 2-4 points from that possible 9. The gap was artificially large but it just piled heaps of pressure on them every time they faced adversity in a game situation.

So this season. We are 4 points ahead and after a shitter of a weekend we don't have a cup final to contest.

The Downside: they will likely win some silverware and get a real surge of belief from the win.

The Upside: we should get a league game their cup final weekend and be able to make it 7+ of a gap assuming we match or better their results.

Then on Thursday we qualified for the Europa play off round while they tumbled into the Conference league play off round.

The Downside: There is a strong chance with a 3rd place UCL team to play we will be one and done in the KO stages of the competition while they will probably now go deep in the Conference versus a lot of dross until the last 8 or so.

The Upside: Assuming they do have more Thursday ties to face than us then we will likely play before them in a number of weekend fixture lists. Again this gives us the great chance to apply real pressure onto them to keep matching our results. And that's before we factor in the Conference has teams in the back of beyond competing in it so quite possibly they will have long travelling to factor in too

Starting tomorrow at 12 I want to see this Rangers team build real scoreboard pressure on the scum. I think we get it right they will crack big time.

Absolutely correct OP.

This next 5/6 weeks are going to be huge. If we go through a managerial change and a tough run of fixtures and come out of the game at their midden ahead in the league then it’ll be a huge statement from Gio and the team and the pressure will be firmly on them.

Yes its a somewhat Americanised phrase but I think it did tell on them last season and could play a vital part in the title destination this year also. They had 3 games in hand for ages last year and the more prudent amongst us just took it as read they would pick up 9 points - in the end I think get 2-4 points from that possible 9. The gap was artificially large but it just piled heaps of pressure on them every time they faced adversity in a game situation.

So this season. We are 4 points ahead and after a shitter of a weekend we don't have a cup final to contest.

The Downside: they will likely win some silverware and get a real surge of belief from the win.

The Upside: we should get a league game their cup final weekend and be able to make it 7+ of a gap assuming we match or better their results.

Then on Thursday we qualified for the Europa play off round while they tumbled into the Conference league play off round.

The Downside: There is a strong chance with a 3rd place UCL team to play we will be one and done in the KO stages of the competition while they will probably now go deep in the Conference versus a lot of dross until the last 8 or so.

The Upside: Assuming they do have more Thursday ties to face than us then we will likely play before them in a number of weekend fixture lists. Again this gives us the great chance to apply real pressure onto them to keep matching our results. And that's before we factor in the Conference has teams in the back of beyond competing in it so quite possibly they will have long travelling to factor in too

Starting tomorrow at 12 I want to see this Rangers team build real scoreboard pressure on the scum. I think we get it right they will crack big time.
Well researched and insightful post OP.

You make a decent point OP but I’d much rather play later on a Sunday. We always seem to start slowly in the noon KOs.

Flange will start to seriously lose the plot if we pull ahead and beat them in January. He's kept his cool so far but he's another lennon just waiting to happen. Let's do this Rangers.

Even without a manager December was always going to be a massive month

If we get to Jan even or ahead with the upheaval then we are doing well a lot of tough games coming up

Great OP. Folk underestimate the massive impact that psychology plays in sport, especially football. I don't really want to dredge up Goldson's half-time thoughts from last Sunday at Hampden, but it only highlights what I'm trying to say. As of now, and despite being top of the table, the pressure is all on us, particularly with a new Manager, and a new settling in spell for him and his backroom staff. We could also have had some leeway but for dropping ridiculous points at home this season. We need to build momentum, and that will only come by winning a run of consecutive League games, hopefully today at Livingston.

Flange will start to seriously lose the plot if we pull ahead and beat them in January. He's kept his cool so far but he's another lennon just waiting to happen. Let's do this Rangers.

He’s genuinely odd, even when things are going well (a decent result) he refuses to make eye contact with whoever is speaking to him. He just stares at the floor like a child being given into trouble. It’s weird.

He’s genuinely odd, even when things are going well (a decent result) he refuses to make eye contact with whoever is speaking to him. He just stares at the floor like a child being given into trouble. It’s weird.
You should really show him more respect. He is the first coach to manage in the Champions League, Europa League and Conference League in the same season. And we are still only in November.

It’s a strange one, as I suspect you hadn’t heard of him before and I certainly hadn’t. I imagine when he was approached by Celtic he would have been thanking his lucky stars and absolutely jumped at the chance. A career spent managing on Australia and Japan in relative football obscurity to making a massive jump.

I doubt he fully researched what he was getting himself into.

From the first question at that fan presser, to Dominic McKay leaving, to their latest shambles of an AGM.

Now. Ange is a disgusting fat shit, but I don’t actually think he is a bad person, and I do suspect the fact that his employer is going through a class action lawsuit, and the realisation that he manages a team that operated a child sex ring for 4 decades is starting to dawn on him.

And to keep the thread on track, great points OP. Of course the key factor in it all is that we start winning, but even small things like us playing a few hours ahead of them can have a factor.

Back