Scot Symon letter to Walter Smith

I'll never forget the first time I saw that nor seeing it again on this day, rest easy Gaffer.

I never noticed it last time I was there, just asked my pals and none of them did either!.
I took my pic in other thread in 2011. It was the guide who brought it our attention. It was beside the door frame on the left as you walked in. If you followed the guide out too quickly you’d miss it. But on this occasion he asked us to have a read.

Saw that ages ago, probably on here but had totally forgot about it.

What a fantastic piece of history.

Was thinking about this letter earlier, glad you posted it. Saw the letter during the tour. Absolutely incredible that letter was kept. That's as real as it gets.

There’s also a photo of Walter standing in the enclosure as a young man, in the background as the team runs out to play.

I remember it from an FF fanzine many moons ago.

There’s also a photo of Walter standing in the enclosure as a young man, in the background as the team runs out to play.

Would love to see this if anyone has the photo.

An incredible piece of our history. Just amazing that has survived.
For Walter's dad to keep that all those years ago and for it to go back to where it came from is a beautiful thing.

Not seen that one and would be great to see. Not many folks got their pics from the crowd those days - pre Willie Vass:)
Have seen the letter in the trophy room a few times and always impressed.

Not seen that one and would be great to see. Not many folks got their pics from the crowd those days - pre Willie Vass:)
Have seen the letter in the trophy room a few times and always impressed.
He is in the background as the team runs out, so not a Willie Vass style pic. I’ve got some old FFs in the garage somewhere, I’ll see if it is featured in one of them.

I didn't know about this. I wonder whether Walter ever got a photograph with him next to it?

This is the sort of history that sets us apart from most other clubs.

For his dad to write you have a sense of the teenage angst of Walter not being able to attend Ibrox. It also says a great that this letter was persevered for a few decades before it came to light.

Back