Scotland Euro 2020 statistically the worst campaign in 63 years

Scottish football needs a total revamp from bottom to top.

It will take time.

But, 2 things could make an impact over a shorts space of time.

Referees to ref like they would in Europe. i.e. punish thuggery. Maybe then there would be more of a view to progressing players with skill rather than physicality. I think that could change things very quickly.

Get rid of the 4x per season.

How many times has a new player burst onto the scene. By the time we get to the 2nd round of fixtures, the opposition know how to play him out of the game.

Throw in a League cup tie and a Scottish Cup tie with replay - and you are watching the same teams 7 times a season.

As for the National set-up, they put Malky Mackay in charge of youth development ffs.

As well as Clarke, you have the Englishman who played for Ireland (Reid) and John effing Carver! Hardly inspiring.
Great post .

priority is sort Refereeing Culture and Disciplinary processes I agree with that and the other points . Are you Gordon Smith maybe lol

Was speaking to a real Scotland fan this morning, told him the manager is a clueless idiot, his reply ~ we were unlucky and I’m quite happy because we got a draw with England, just because he hates the bastards… asked him why he hates them, he replied ah just dae … I walked away laughing at the prick

23-years' ago today, Scotland played its last World Cup tournament fixture against Morocco. They lost 3-0 and were eliminated from France 98 at the Group Stage. Scotland's team that day -

Leighton (Aberdeen), McNamara (Celtic), Boyd (Celtic), Hendry (Blackburn Rovers, captain), Weir (Hearts), Burley (Celtic), Collins (Monaco), Lambert (Celtic), Dailly (Derby County), Gallacher (Blackburn Rovers), Durie (Rangers).
Substitutes - Sullivan (Wimbledon), Gould (Celtic), Elliott (Leicester), McKinlay (Celtic), Whyte (Celtic), Gemmill (Nottingham Forest), Booth (Borussia Dortmund), Donnelly (Celtic).

Just 1-Ranger in that lot but at least he managed to stay on the field, unlike that clown Burley who got sent off.

I wonder if the SFA/SPFL will care to explain the continued failures?
I can remember that game quite well because the British media totally wrote off the Moroccans as not having a chance. They ended up smashing us convincingly and once again we went tumbling out of the tournament.

A lot of Scotland's problems stem from how games are refereed in Scotland. Its like nowhere else in the world and it encourages clubs to play big physical players rather than the smaller technical ones.

Technical players develop quicker and are given game time earlier in all the other European countries.
Totally agree mate been banging this drum for years

until challenged like mains on Borja last year are punished correctly with straight reds we will get nowhere

English football has changed we haven’t

There are Scotland fans that wouldn’t have minded going out the group as long as they had beaten England.That right there is a flaw and a weakness of mentality.It portrays limited vision and a chip on the shoulder attitude.It’s all about England for a lot of these fans.
Another word for it is bigotry as it’s meaning is defined in the dictionary…”blind hatred” and it doesn’t half blind them.
It’s one of the main things that hold Scotland back. Not only against the English but against any opposing viewpoint, that and the utter corruption of the authorities.
Scotland as a nation have regressed massively in my lifetime. Shame.

The arrogance going in to the match against Croatia astounded me. "We just need to beat Croatia and we're through". Just beat the World Cup finalists from 3 years ago, easy!

There's no dressing it up or polishing this turd because Scotland were, quite honestly, f#cking disgraceful. Feeble doesn't beging to describe us. I used to love supporting Scotland but the honest truth is the national side has let the country down since its inception. It's never did anything even resembling worthy on the European or World stage. It can, quite frankly, f#ck off as far as I'm concerned. I'm done with them.

Rangers have suggested that adding our Colts to the Lowland League will improve the quality of Scotland’s future players.
Clubs voted against the proposal and highlighted the dinosaurs that continue to hold Scottish football, back.
The same Clubs, despite the majority allowing us entry, continue to bleat that other teams could have paid £25,000 to join. Missing the point is an understatement.
Scotland need to rub it out and start again. We are failing to look at other nations reasons for progress and we need to stop employing managers who are serial failures.

There are Scotland fans that wouldn’t have minded going out the group as long as they had beaten England.That right there is a flaw and a weakness of mentality.It portrays limited vision and a chip on the shoulder attitude.It’s all about England for a lot of these fans.
Another word for it is bigotry as it’s meaning is defined in the dictionary…”blind hatred” and it doesn’t half blind them

Yet the feather bunneted kilted fuds will celebrate because they got a draw at Wembley. This is why I could never get fully on board with supporting Scotland anyway, even before 2012.

That bunch of suckers actually applauded Scotland off the field after completing their 1-5 aggregate, 2 home games, hammering.

There really are no other fan(nie)s in the world that celebrate abject failure the way the Tartan Army does.

The media are remarkably uncritical. It's quite an eye-opener.

We were beaten by a team who never came out of 2nd gear, who are only 4 places ahead of us in the world ranking, at Hampden, whilst not playing several of our best players.

But's it's ok because we grabbed a point from "the auld enemy".

We were beaten by a team who never came out of 2nd gear, who are only 4 places ahead of us in the world ranking, at Hampden, whilst not playing several of our best players.

Maybe fans, like me, thought Scotland were expected to get gubbed convincingly in every game. Looking at it like that getting a point is quite good.

Scotland are just crap but not playing your best players should be unforgivable. It's fine in Scotland, especially if those best players play for Rangers.

Clarke is a genius. Went into a must win game against Croatia to try and get a draw. We are lucky to have him.

That bunch of suckers actually applauded Scotland off the field after completing their 1-5 aggregate, 2 home games, hammering.

There really are no other fan(nie)s in the world that celebrate abject failure the way the Tartan Army does.
I think a lot of the support are perfectly happy for the team to fail as they see it as somehow ‘noble’ to support a shit team.

It's hard to believe that Scotland have never managed to qualify from a group in a major tournament especially considering some of the players they have had over the years. Northern Ireland have done it three times and I would say this has been down to great team work and spirit. Has this been a problem for Scotland?

Scottish football needs a total revamp from bottom to top.

It will take time.

But, 2 things could make an impact over a shorts space of time.

Referees to ref like they would in Europe. i.e. punish thuggery. Maybe then there would be more of a view to progressing players with skill rather than physicality. I think that could change things very quickly.

Get rid of the 4x per season.

How many times has a new player burst onto the scene. By the time we get to the 2nd round of fixtures, the opposition know how to play him out of the game.

Throw in a League cup tie and a Scottish Cup tie with replay - and you are watching the same teams 7 times a season.

As for the National set-up, they put Malky Mackay in charge of youth development ffs.

As well as Clarke, you have the Englishman who played for Ireland (Reid) and John effing Carver! Hardly inspiring.

I think the refereeing is key. There needs to become less of an emphasis on over physicality. It stifles actual football from being played.

It isn't the total solution to Scottish footballs problems, but it would be a very good start.

No one but Souness calling it like it is

Agree mate and the SPL is the second best top tier football league in the UK, ahead of the Cymru Premier and NIFL Premiership. Although most of the selected players for NI and Wales play in England and Scotland, I could never understand how back in the 70s and 80s why Scotland never became really successful with the quality they had. They had some great players that played not just for Rangers but United, Liverpool, Leeds and Arsenal to name a few.

11 tournaments in 67 years, that almost 1 every 6 years.

Never made it beyond the first group stage.

6 victories. Zaire, Holland, New Zealand, Sweden, CIS (Russia), Switzerland.

It’s a pretty unenviable and unique record.

With the promise of a deep review and grassroots change almost every couple of years since 1978.

When you put it like that, the Scottish national team should just fold into the English side. Let the one or two actually decent players have a chance of playing at another tournament before they retire in 12 years.

Let's face it qualifying via the Nation's League 3rd division has papered over the cracks really and made Clarke appear better than what he is.

The Scottish media also largely ignore that it was Eck who secured the playoff, not that alcoholic tim. But he got a draw with an England team that looked like it couldn't be arsed, so he's a hero to the tartan trannies.

Back