Scotland fans hit out at the booing of Ryan Jack

So

Annoymous Twitter account - made up, I don't believe it.

Annymous FF account - I believe them.

The natioanal team support is full of nationalists who hate everything Rangers. It's not that much of a stretch.

He wasn’t booed at Hampden
I believe he got some abuse on Twitter although I didn’t see it myself
It was a Reddit thread saying he got some booing and called a Hun and Orange Bastard. That's where the story has came from.

I couldn't hear anything. Probably just a few sheep shaggers who can't get past the fact Jack signed for us.

Shouldn't happen but it's been made out to be a crowd, when it's just been a few roasters.

One of Scotland’s best players disgraceful behaviour booing one of their own one of the reasons I could never support or go to a Scotland game again and I really cannot fathom why a Ranger’s supporter would give them their support.
Me neither but there is some that do it's their decision but then some would say what they did to us they would do again in a heartbeat ,so I am with you I would never watch them never mind support them.

SCOTLAND fans have hit out at booing aimed at Ryan Jack from within their own support.

The Rangers star started Saturday's 3-0 win over Cyprus, winning his 15th international cap.

Jack returned to join Celtic skipper Callum McGregor in the heart of Steve Clarke's midfield, restoring the partnership that the Scotland boss regularly deployed during the run to Euro 2020 qualification.

After an injury-blighted couple of years, the 31-year old has managed to stay fit this season and has once again become a key man in the Rangers side since Michael Beale's appointment as manager in November.

Jack and McGregor has been Clarke's preferred duo in the middle of the park since becoming Scotland boss, and both players have spoken of their 'great' partnership on national team duty, despite their obvious club rivalry

But while McGregor, who won his 50th cap at the weekend, regularly gets plaudits from the Tartan Army, Jack's relationship with the national team support hasn't always been an easy one

He was infamously heavily booed on his Scotland debut in a friendly against the Netherlands in November 2017.

That game took place at Pittodrie, with Aberdeen fans on that occasion in an unforgiving mood with Jack having swapped the Dons for Rangers just a few months previously.

While that level of booing from the stands hasn't been heard again, at least not on international duty, the topic has cropped up in the years that have followed his maiden Scots appearance.

Former Scotland midfielder Lee McCulloch hit out after a section of fans were heard booing Jack during a match with Belgium at Hampden back in 2018

And after Saturday's triumph over Cyprus, a number of Scotland fans took to social media to hit out at fellow supporters who they had heard jeering the Rangers midfielder.

One fan wrote: "I grew up in an era when Celtic players were routinely jeered and insulted when playing for Scotland. Sad to read that similar incidents are still taking place. These 'fans' should get a grip or stay at home."

Another said: "He is Scottish and playing for Scotland. Club rivalries should be put aside."

A third added: "If that was going on, it's a disgrace."

Another said: "Absolutely despise folk who take their club prejudices to a Scotland game."

A fifth commented: "I don't get why fans would boo a player for the national team."

Another fan who was at the game exclaimed: "I've been to maybe 20 Scotland games and never heard anyone shouting abuse at a player because of the club they play for. It shocked me a bit."

An Aberdeen fan added: "Jack was poor yesterday, but people shouldn't be booing their own team."

Another supporter said: "His work with McGregor has been crucial to most of our good results. Bizarre reaction every time he plays."

Next up for Scotland on the road to Euro 2024 is a mouthwatering showdown with three-time continental champions Spain.

Both sides head into tomorrow night's big Hampden clash on the back of 3-0 wins.

After the Tartan Army beat Cyprus, Spain went on to beat Norway in the same scoreline.
Last scotland game I went to was Vs Holland in Aberdoom in November 2017.
RJ was boo'd during the warm up and later when he came on as a sub.
Thats the evening my interest in the national team stopped.
I'd being going to Scotland games since the early 1970's. I really can't recall a player being boo'd because of who his club team was.

Yes, let's go further and make it a clause in every new contract issued that they can't play international football?
At his age, with his injury record it doesn’t seem unreasonable to me to ask him to commit? Then again, I’m not actually convinced we should be signing him, so maybe it’s a mute point.

Aberdeen fans are the real issue if you read twitter. They still see us as their main "rivals", and any Sheep fans I've known personally are incredibly bitter.

We need to bring more Scottish players through our academy and into the first team imo, that we only have 1 in a National Squad is a disgrace

Scotland are a better team with Jack and mcgregor in midfield probably won't go down well on here but they work well together when either of them is missing you really notice. Anyone booing any Scotland player whilst wearing that shirt is quite possibly mentally challenged

Tend to agree with this they compliment one another. Simple and efficient footballers.

Last scotland game I went to was Vs Holland in Aberdoom in November 2017.
RJ was boo'd during the warm up and later when he came on as a sub.
Thats the evening my interest in the national team stopped.
I'd being going to Scotland games since the early 1970's. I really can't recall a player being boo'd because of who his club team was.
The sheep shaggers boo him because as their club captain he left to sign for us for %^*& all. Would you expect them to cheer him?

People have to stop being so precious and trying to find any excuse not to support the country they are from and live in.

I heard it once back in the late 60s but it wasn't just booing a player because he played for the tramps it was booing because they were selected over a Rangers player.I used to go to the Scotland games back then,most of the crowd was made up of Rangers men.
Me too but never heard any player getting booed.

The sheep shaggers boo him because as their club captain he left to sign for us for %^*& all. Would you expect them to cheer him?

People have to stop being so precious and trying to find any excuse not to support the country they are from and live in.
You don't need an excuse. You simply don't need to.

I just hope he doesn’t play during the week. He doesn’t even play weekend to midweek for us due to his problems.

Yes, if he comes back injured and we have to pay him but are deprived of his services. Jack has a big call to make in the summer, Rangers or Scotland, it cant be both.
Of course it can.

You think Beale and Wilson are going to sit down and dangle a new contract in front of Ryan Jack, but only on the condition that he retires from international football?

Not a chance that will be happening.

Of course it can.

You think Beale and Wilson are going to sit down and dangle a new contract in front of Ryan Jack, but only on the condition that he retires from international football?

It's up there with offering someone a 'pay as you play' deal. Absolute fantasy stuff.

The idea that I should be expected support a team full of bitter Rangers haters, managed by a bitter Rangers hater and supported by bitter Rangers haters purely because by accident of birth we happened to have been born in the same bit of land is bonkers to me. Others are welcome to cosy up to Rangers haters all they want, but I'll pass.

Last edited:
In the mid/late sixties and seventies it seemed to me at Hampden the vast majority of the Scotland support was made up of Rangers fans. I never remember or heard Celtic players getting booed. If Jimmy Johnstone got booed, it might have been because he never really performed for the national team as he did for his club side. Wullie Henderson, also a top class player, was probably preferred by the predominantly Rangers support and never let us down. That said, in my admittedly younger days, I never noticed any abuse of players.

Ryan Jack is proud to represent his country , as he should be. But imagine going to a scotland game and sitting next to bellends who boo someone cos they play forRangers ? And keeping your trap shut? Youd end up with getting huckled.Not for me.

I was at the game on Saturday, and can honestly say I never heard him being booed. Not saying it didn't happen, but if it did I never noticed it.
I was there and heard a few have a go at him for giving the ball away - soft compared to what we shout at Ibrox when he gives it away!
Tbh Clarke playing him and Mcgregor v Cyprus was mental - hardly the most attacking threat

The idea that I should be expected support a team full of bitter Rangers haters, managed by a bitter Rangers hater and supported by bitter Rangers haters purely because by accident of birth we happened to have been born in the same bit of land is bonkers to me. Others are welcome to cosy up to Rangers haters all they want, but I'll pass.
Who said you're expected to support them?
Always club before country for me

Ryan Jack is proud to represent his country , as he should be. But imagine going to a scotland game and sitting next to bellends who boo someone cos they play forRangers ? And keeping your trap shut? Youd end up with getting huckled.Not for me.

Funny thing is I have been to a few Scotland games in the past few years (free tickets) and have never once seen this happen. I only hear about it on social media from people who read someone else's tweet and have reposted it on here or wherever.

I certainly wouldn't be staying quiet if it did happen, but it hasn't happened anywhere near me in any game I have been to.

Of course it can.

No sitting down or dangling required. Jack must realise injuries are catching up with him. If he announces his retirement from international football, we offer him a contract, if not we shake his hand and wish him well. We do not have money to burn on sickies.

No sitting down or dangling required. Jack must realise injuries are catching up with him. If he announces his retirement from international football, we offer him a contract, if not we shake his hand and wish him well. We do not have money to burn on sickies.
What you have described is pretty much dangling it in front of him, ie retire or you aren’t getting a contract extension.

I think if you genuinely believe that’s what is going to happen then you will end up disappointed in the summer. Beale likes Jack, and I can’t see us not offering him a new contract, no matter what he does with international football.

Ditto.

couldnt care less about people booing him tbh, its a compliment really, id have no sympathy for the player if it was our captain who left us and got a bit of abuse. ive never been able to get into international football, id rather Scotland win than loose if given the choice but I couldn’t care less if they dont. That has nothing to do with anything the sfa did. fwiw although I didn’t agree with everything the sfa did but putting us down the leagues was the correct decision. but people at the top of the sfa should have been held to account for passing whyte as a fit and proper person, they contributed a big part in what happened in the end by passing him. There were massive errors on both sides but only one side got punished.

I think we would all agree that Ryan jacks body isn’t robust enough to be playing international matches when he could be resting, the minutes hes missed each season back that up, hes came back from international break injured not so long ago. His body can’t do both, with that in mind he should be told that any new contract should be on the understanding that he retires from the international side. Surely even jack wouldnt think that’s to unreasonable giving his injury record.

It was Aberdeen fans

Celtic fans routinely abused

What a pile of shit and everyone knows it
Correct it was the same when black was targeted at Easter road “ hibs fans” because he was ex hearts etc etc. can’t remember the players name but he was playing for the country Scotland played that night ex hearts players wasn’t booed once.

Since the 1990s, the Tartan army have dished out abuse to ,Mo Johnston (after he retired from the SFA team and then changed his mind) McCoist ( from memory,when he was actually on a stretcher in Portugal ) Ian Ferguson, Barry Ferguson, Allan McGregor,Ian Black, Lee Wallace and Ryan Jack.
Possibly others, I have forgotten.
Can anyone see a pattern here?
Not to mention incidents when non Scottish Rangers players have been verbally abused, for example Scotland v Denmark, Laudrup (Rangers) constantly booed Weighorst (sellik) no abuse.
I am not saying all the Tartan army abuse certain players,but there is obviously a percentage who do.
I remember going to Scotland v Slovakia about 4 years ago and Vladimir Weiss came on and he got roundly booed

That's not really fair - I was in Poland to watch Scotland play Ukraine a few months back and Rangers came up as a topic of conversation in a bar afterwards when people round about found out I was a Rangers fan. Everyone was positive about a Rangers fan watching Scotland and several others in the bar joined in the conversation - and several of those people tuned out to be Rangers fans too. The one club that I find is under-represented amongst Scotland fans is the one that is affiliated to Ireland.

I don't expect to get many "likes" out of this but that's what happened. I have never experienced any serious animosity when watching Scotland on account of being a Rangers fan - not once.

Everyone please remember that Rangers have provided more players for the national team than any other club.
Your last sentence I think it’s the haters who abuse our players who need to remember that.

Back