Scotland game

Has a team ever dropped a place in the table whilst playing Malta at home?

Pathetic performance. Craig Gordon saw a lot of the ball in the last 20 minutes.

No chance of qualifying, but let the idiots think otherwise.

Slovenia we might have had a chance in beating but over there I am not so sure. Slovakia look decent in all honesty and had a couple of good chances to get back into England. I think Slovakia will beat us without too much of a challenge sadly.

What's the permutations now?

Scotland need to beat Slovakia at home and then Slovenia away to secure second place. In theory they could secure second with a win and a draw, but in reality two wins will be required.

Right now finishing second with two wins won't necessarily guarantee a playoff spot, but probably will in all likelihood. There only needs to be one worse-placed runner-up from one of the other groups.

I reckon if Scotland beat Slovakia then they'll beat Slovenia. Slovenia go to Wembley next, so it's more likely than not that their campaign will end there, giving them nothing to play for when Scotland come calling.

If Scotland do reach the playoffs, surely it's about time they got a kind draw? Montenegro, maybe?

Slovenia we might have had a chance in beating but over there I am not so sure. Slovakia look decent in all honesty and had a couple of good chances to get back into England. I think Slovakia will beat us without too much of a challenge sadly.

There's no denying that Slovakia are a good side.

But in typical Scottish pessimistic fashion, I think we are underestimating the home advantage we'll have next month, and we're also overlooking the pressure on Slovakia.

They are a side who looked odds on to secure the play off spot. They were four points clear of both ourselves and Slovenia before tonight. Now they are only one point ahead. They'll be arriving at a rocking Hampden and dare not lose. And though a draw would likely put paid to Scotland's hopes, it may not provide Slovakia with enough points to be one of the eight best runners-up come playoff qualification time.

I think at Hampden next month you'll see two sides going all out to win. A draw doesn't help either side really. On paper Slovakia are the better side, but they really would prefer not to have to play this game in Glasgow.

Scotland really need to be bold. It's win or bust.

Scotland host Slovakia on 5 October and visit Slovenia three days later, by which time England will have played the Slovenians at Wembley.

Who do Slovenia play next because if they win there next game we might need to beat them by 3 or more goals assuming we beat Slovakia.

England 8 13 20
Slovakia 8 8 15
Slovenia 8 6 14
Scotland 8 4 14

The Slovakia game is gonna be our biggest game in years. I'm glad we've got it back in our own hands. It'd be great to see us participate in a major tournament again. We just need to hope that if we can secure 2nd place we get a kind draw in the play offs.

Scotland host Slovakia on 5 October and visit Slovenia three days later, by which time England will have played the Slovenians at Wembley.

Who do Slovenia play next because if they win there next game we might need to beat them by 3 or more goals assuming we beat Slovakia.

England 8 13 20
Slovakia 8 8 15
Slovenia 8 6 14
Scotland 8 4 14
We won't if we win our next two games we're guaranteed 2nd spot as one of the games are against Slovenia we'd be 3 points above them so the goal difference wouldn't matter.

We all know whats happening here, we have seen this movie plenty times over the years, we will beat Slovakia, the whole country will get excited then lose to Slovenia.

We won't if we win our next two games we're guaranteed 2nd spot as one of the games are against Slovenia we'd be 3 points above them so the goal difference wouldn't matter.

Cheers.

Obvious now think it must be time for bed.

Bottom line it is in our own hands which is all you can ask.

England 8 13 20
Slovakia 8 8 15
Slovenia 8 6 14
Scotland 8 4 14

Slovenia are away to England next, then have us at their place.

England will beat them and that'll be them out. They'll have nothing to play for against Scotland.

There's no denying that Slovakia are a good side.

But in typical Scottish pessimistic fashion, I think we are underestimating the home advantage we'll have next month, and we're also overlooking the pressure on Slovakia.

They are a side who looked odds on to secure the play off spot. They were four points clear of both ourselves and Slovenia before tonight. Now they are only one point ahead. They'll be arriving at a rocking Hampden and dare not lose. And though a draw would likely put paid to Scotland's hopes, it may not provide Slovakia with enough points to be one of the eight best runners-up come playoff qualification time.

I think at Hampden next month you'll see two sides going all out to win. A draw doesn't help either side really. On paper Slovakia are the better side, but they really would prefer not to have to play this game in Glasgow.

Scotland really need to be bold. It's win or bust.
Hopefully you are right. I'd love for Scotland to get the results needed - we could do with being involved in a major competition after missing out on so many. Slovakia are definitely the better team and we do have a muppet as manager but the pressure might get to them. It will be interesting to say the least if the team, the fans and the muppet manager are up for it. He has much better players to select from than he used tonight and hopefully he gets onto that.

We all know whats happening here, we have seen this movie plenty times over the years, we will beat Slovakia, the whole country will get excited then lose to Slovenia.

If we fail to qualify then IMO it'll be either by failing to beat Slovakia, or getting knocked out in the playoffs.

Whatever happens I can see Scotland winning against Slovenia.

Just watched the highlights and at the first goal Berra is fouling the defender. Second goal Thumb is clearly off side.

Slovenia result puts the garbage spouted about the Lithunia result into perspective

4th place is about right for this team of no hopers. Charlie Mulgrew FFS!!

Just watched the highlights and at the first goal Berra is fouling the defender. Second goal Thumb is clearly off side.

Slovenia result puts the garbage spouted about the Lithunia result into perspective

4th place is about right for this team of no hopers. Charlie Mulgrew FFS!!

Dry your eyes.

I might be wrong, but I was looking at the table and how it might look if we had just held on to that lead over England. We'd be looking at the possibility of securing second place with our next game v Slovakia at Hampden. Done and dusted. I think that's right, if we had won that bloody game.

Anyway, the next match is massive. Anything other than a win and we can forget it as Slovakia will hammer Malta at home in their last game. We must be ahead of Slovakia after the next match or it's over.

I might be wrong, but I was looking at the table and how it might look if we had just held on to that lead over England. We'd be looking at the possibility of securing second place with our next game v Slovakia at Hampden. Done and dusted. I think that's right, if we had won that bloody game.

Anyway, the next match is massive. Anything other than a win and we can forget it as Slovakia will hammer Malta at home in their last game. We must be ahead of Slovakia after the next match or it's over.

Holding on against England would have meant that a draw against Slovakia would be fine provided we go on to beat Slovenia.

As it is, we are where we are.

After the poor start we made, if you had said beat Slovakia at home then Slovenia away to all but secure a play off spot, I'd have bitten your arm off.

Scotland have turned this round and are not reliant on results elsewhere anymore. From where we were, this is a great position to be in.

At least we have given ourselves a chance going into the last two fixtures after a horrible start to the campaign. Sadly i believe we will just fall short by drawing one of the remaining matches.

No and no.

Watch it again.

Has OTL changed his username?

They just showed you Thumb was clearly off side and Berra is all over the defender.

Look if you want to support a team whose support boo our monarch and any National Anthem that even sounds like ours (Lichenstein) then you go right ahead.

Charlie Mulgrew is playing in the 3rd tier of English football for a reason.

I listened to Hugh Keevins tonight saying Scotland had the best 2 full backs in the UK. Mental stuff. Utterly mind blowingly mental but lapped up by the Tartan Army. Man City just paid £150 milion on 3 full backs and Robertson and Tierney were not even in the mix. Not even close.

This is a team that drew with Lithunia FFS!!

We are never going to agree on this but you keep on cheering on Scott Brown and i ll just avoid these threads in the future

Absolutely no chance of beating Slovakia at Hampden. In fact, not much chance of beating Slovenia in their last game either.

Its good our destiny is in our own hands but six points from those two games (esp. Slovakia at home) is a big ask for the play-off spot.

I reckon we'll beat Slovakia at home.

We always produce unexpected tremendous results at home in really big matches.

It'll be Slovenia away that kills for sure. That's what we do. Probably go out on goal difference losing the vital goal 8 minutes into stoppage time.

I seen the day I would have cared. However, we have been treated like dirt for years by the pro - Celtic front. I couldn't care less .

I'm trying really hard to get my excitement back for Scotland - but it's taking time to get over all the sh*t we've had to put up with!!

I simply cannot bring myself to support the Scottish national team after everything the SFA put us through in 2012. Exacerbated by the fannies (albeit not all) in the support who hate my club, my queen and the United Kingdom that I'm a part of. Don't hate them, just feel nothing for them.

I’m watching a replay of Scotland v CIS from the 1992 Euro Finals in Sweden. It’s on BBC Scotland now.

No fewer than 7 then current Rangers players, 1 future player + 1 future asst manager on show out of the 22 on the pitch. 9 out of the 22 connected to our club. At the Euro Finals.

Goram, Gough, McPherson, McCall, McCoist, Miko, Kuznetsov, Kanchelskis. (+ Gary McAllister)

How things have changed regarding our national side in the last 30 years.

I’m watching a replay of Scotland v CIS from the 1992 Euro Finals in Sweden. It’s on BBC Scotland now.

No fewer than 7 then current Rangers players, 1 future player + 1 future asst manager on show out of the 22 on the pitch. 9 out of the 22 connected to our club. At the Euro Finals.

Goram, Gough, McPherson, McCall, McCoist, Miko, Kuznetsov, Kanchelskis. (+ Gary McAllister)

How things have changed regarding our national side in the last 30 years.
I watched it i was saying the same some representation.

Back