Scotland should pull out of qualifying for Qatar 2022 - agree/disagree?

As per thread title

• Agree

Votes: 81 42.9%
  • Disagree

Votes: 108 57.1%

• Total voters

Gheorghe_Hagi

Just to spark a bit of debate - should Scotland take part in qualification for the next World Cup?

We inevitably will take part because money talks, but I'd like to see us withdraw given the absolute sham the tournament is as well as the human rights record of the country in question.

That said, it would be a bit hypocritical after just trying to qualify for Russia.

What are your thoughts? Same question applies for all home nations if you're a non-Scot.

They should take part, but the the human rights issue will not bother us because we won't qualify, unless the SFA get their act together, and I cannot see that with Liewells still in the mix.

To be fair i voted without reading the OP correctly.

I thought you were saying we shouldn't bother because we are sh*te.

Let's be honest if we were the first to pull out everyone else would laugh saying we wouldn't have made it anyway.

Scotland withdrawing wouldn't have much of an impact, it would be more a case of 'who cares' from most. I would like to see England, Spain, France, Germany & Italy withdraw and cite the human rights record and suspected links to terrorism as the reason. Then FIFA and the wider world would actually take notice and maybe move the tournament to somewhere more suitable.

Sods law dictates that when Scotland eventually squeak qualification for a major finals it will actually be this one (the least desirable one for just about every reason).

Scotland withdrawing on moral grounds nobody would really bat an eyelid. Spain, England, Germany or Brazil then the world would take notice.

As long as our players are given a special allowance to wear platform shoes then we should enter.
Any other scenario we should tell them to stuff their fkin Cup :D

The World Cup should not be there in the first place. But that's a different thread :D

I think it would look a bit bizarre for us to boycott this one, having not boycotted the Russian one. Let's face it, if you boycotted tournaments based on questionable moral ties with either the host country or with sponsors, then we wouldn't enter anything.

I'd say it's not our responsibility to take moral stances. That should be FIFA's, but on the basis of their corruption, i'd say the game is a bogey in that regard.

Sad that I am totally indifferent to International football in general, and Scotland in particular. I didn't even bother to follow the match and only picked up the result when I switched on Sky Sports this morning. Unless there is a fundamental change of attitude within the SFA (and why should there be) and the tartan army, I will not be supporting Scotland any time soon.

Pulling out would leave us open to ridicule considering we haven't qualified for a tournament in nearly 20 years.

Just to spark a bit of debate - should Scotland take part in qualification for the next World Cup?

We inevitably will take part because money talks, but I'd like to see us withdraw given the absolute sham the tournament is as well as the human rights record of the country in question.

That said, it would be a bit hypocritical after just trying to qualify for Russia.

What are your thoughts? Same question applies for all home nations if you're a non-Scot.

Haven’t Scotland withdrew from every euros and World cup competitions for almost 20 years?

“Heroic failure” when in a group consisting of France and Italy.

Shïte bags in this current group and the last euros qualifying group (particularly when the latter was almost harder not to qualify)

Last edited:
They pulled out of putting any great effort into qualifying for the past 5 World Cups. So why be different

If ever a World Cup should have been boycotted it should have been Russia with their record on drug use in athletics their support for Syria and other conflicts,Scotland are that irrelevant just not qualifying will do.

We never qualify anyway so play the qualifiers and get the gate money. If we do qualify then hope everyone else has boycotted. Scotland World Champions

If, and it's a big if, we qualify, that is the time to pull out. At least then, our players will have competitive games up until the tournament.

I reckon they'd probably be better just doing away with the national team all together.

If they do away with Hampden, I will agree that they should also scrap the national team.

The game is dying anyway, the SFA and SPFL officials have made our game no better than non league.

I think the youngsters coming through have a bit of promise.

Use the qualifiers to bed them in.

If they fail....well what's new.

I think that would generate a good laugh across the globe. A team that would be unlikely to qualify in the first instance pull out of the World Cup qualifying in protest.

I do actually think everyone should pull out. Absolute farce to hold it there.

Maybe by the time it comes round there will be Rangers players involved in the scotland team.Then I might give a fu(k about scotland and their chances of qualification.

Would love to see a worldwide boycott of Qatar 2022 but it won't happen. If they cared about changing it, it would have been changed by now.

Therefore there's no point in pulling out of the qualifying unless we genuinely believe we can change something. Given that we're Scotland, we probably can't.

it would save all the people who follow Scotland time and money. because Scotland will muck up the qualifying as they always do. but if Scotland did get to Qatar 2022. the rest of the teams would be so surprised. Scotland could win a couple of games.

All the big nations should give it a miss. That would be a statement

Exactly, we shouldn't pull out unilaterally. But if we could persuade enough other countries - and enough of the big other countries - to pull out, we should. Organise a wee tournament for all the teams that withdrew too.

Back