Scotland v Argentina Women's World Cup

[QUOTE="Tom1974, post: 3795578, member: 4531"]Keeper would need to stand a yard behind the line then move forward to get any purchase in their leg/s to dive. Or just take the keeper out of the goal and let the taker have an open goal.[/QUOTE]

thats not allowed either

Rachel Corsie, embarrassing interview. Hard as it is to accept, VAR and the ref didnt beat scotland, SCOTLAND beat Scotland!!! 3-0 up with 18 mins left and drawing, you only have yourself to blame, no one else. No excuses. 2nd goal for instance, the number 2 cuts out a thru ball and passes it straight back to the attacker. She puts that out the park and it stays 3-1.
I hear you, but without the ridiculous VAR decisions, they'd have won 3-2. Without the ridiculous timekeeping, they'd have had about 7 minutes more to try and win 4-3.

You can't just dismiss those facts.

I doubt many pens will ever be saved if the keeper's feet are flat on the ground the moment the pen is struck ! Apart from the tossers that hit it straight down the middle !

Not one person claimed for a retake - the referee wouldn't have been any the wiser without somebody in the VAR room telling her to take a look. The rule should only be for when the keeper blatantly moves off the line and not takes half a step just as contact is being made.
VAR generally should only be used to overturn clear and obvious errors. If the ref needs to watch a replay umpteen times for about 5 minutes, it's not a blatant error. A keeper taking half a step forward at a penalty should not warrant a retake. VAR in it's current form, will ruin football. The spontaneity, the emotion, gone. Getting every micro decision right, like a left eyebrow being offside, might keep the number crunchers happy, but it will kill the game as a spectator sport for many. Certainly will for me.

Seriously FIFA, please just f*ck off

D9c_QuvX4AcZKF1
Tbf the keeper is about 6 inches off the ground and moving forward in real time at that point. The angle of that snapshot makes it look like she still has a foot on the line as the argy player makes contact and makes the decision to retake it look wrong, which it wasn't. The value of the rule is certainly open to debate and imo wrong for the game, the application of the rule was the correct decision though.

I hear you, but without the ridiculous VAR decisions, they'd have won 3-2. Without the ridiculous timekeeping, they'd have had about 7 minutes more to try and win 4-3.

You can't just dismiss those facts.

100% correct. Sure, it was stupid to let them come back from 3-0 to 3-2 but without this ridiculous decision people would be speaking about the save to win the game.

I find it weird how people don't seem to get that.

If the VAR controllers cannot tell the ref that they have missed something or got a decision wrong in 15 seconds then they should stick with the on field decision. 4 minutes to then have the Ref run over and watch TV pictures. And if they are stopping the game like that then the clock should be stopped, if that means having stadium clocks for that purpose then that is a price of having this farcical system.

100% correct. Sure, it was stupid to let them come back from 3-0 to 3-2 but without this ridiculous decision people would be speaking about the save to win the game.

I find it weird how people don't seem to get that.
Combination of macho - can't enjoy women's football.
SFA loathing - Can't follow national teams
and good old fashion Scottish self-loathing.

If var every comes to Scotland.. and let's say Celtic get a penalty with 5 mins to go with us up 2-1 a possible title decider, the penalty gets saved and it re-took due to our gk coming 1ft off his line, and they score there will be riots for days...
VAR WILL DESTROY FOOTBALL

Last edited:
Ignoring VAR for a second, ref ripped the absolute piss with the lack of injury time.

Went to VAR 86th, second pen eventually scored 93rd - yet only about a minute of a restart.

You'll most likely get 65 minutes of a 90+ extra time game.

Ibrox will empty coz the underground will be shuttin and night shifters heading tae work.

It's on the cards.

Retake a saved penalty for being a couple of inches off the line

Dont book player for wiping another one out and said player then is booked - should've been off

Games upside down

Rachel Corsie, embarrassing interview. Hard as it is to accept, VAR and the ref didnt beat scotland, SCOTLAND beat Scotland!!! 3-0 up with 18 mins left and drawing, you only have yourself to blame, no one else. No excuses. 2nd goal for instance, the number 2 cuts out a thru ball and passes it straight back to the attacker. She puts that out the park and it stays 3-1.

So if Scotland were only 1-0 before the farse at the end they are allowed to feel hard done by?

I'll be interested to see the US sports shows take on it, if they're interested. USA's biggest football moment was 1999 Women's World Cup. They won on penalties, due to their keeper saving a penalty from China. She was closer to the 6 yard line when the Chinese girl hit it, than she was to her own goal line.

Keeper would need to stand a yard behind the line then move forward to get any purchase in their leg/s to dive. Or just take the keeper out of the goal and let the taker have an open goal.

They can't be behind the line either - they need to have one foot on the line.

Depends how you look at it. A penalty is a free kick at goal for a foul in the box. A goalkeeper coming of the line narrowing the angle is influencing the outcome. This seems to be an attempt to redress the balance.
i don't say i agree with them coming off the line but the amount of keepers that have come sprinting off their line as soon as the kicker is about to take it is unreal. VAR is going to cripple football and turn it sterile.

Keeper would need to stand a yard behind the line then move forward to get any purchase in their leg/s to dive. Or just take the keeper out of the goal and let the taker have an open goal.

They aren’t allowed to stand behind the line either . Has to be on it . And one foot must be on it when the ball is struck .

Farce .

It’s such an impractical rule. Have you ever tried to dive safely without moving your leg forward?

You would think football rule makers would know a little about biomechanics.

Can someone clarify... keepers have to be on line until ball is struck? But I take it they cant move side to side (still on line) and have to stand still like a statue?

This rule is going to dominate football this season in VAR leagues and competitions. It’s going to be an absolute clusterf*ck.

Can someone clarify... keepers have to be on line until ball is struck? But I take it they cant move side to side (still on line) and have to stand still like a statue?

Think at least 1 foot has to be on the line when the ball is kicked. Madness

No, because if it wasn’t for that decision we would have won 3-2.
Should never have been in that position.
Plus if letter of law is you dont come off line then thats the law. Shite law i agree but it is what it is. All those saying harsh etc if that was against us in a cup final or to win league and it wasnt retaken we'd be raging.
It wasnt VAR that done Scotland it was complacency and poor tactics

When everyone was shouting about VAR, how many were wanting penalties for every handball and retakes if a goalie moves. Ridiculous.

I’m perplexed by the whole thing. Years of greetin’ about not having video technology now people are wetting their knickers over its presence. Would be good is they could make their minds up.

VAR generally should only be used to overturn clear and obvious errors. If the ref needs to watch a replay umpteen times for about 5 minutes, it's not a blatant error. A keeper taking half a step forward at a penalty should not warrant a retake. VAR in it's current form, will ruin football. The spontaneity, the emotion, gone. Getting every micro decision right, like a left eyebrow being offside, might keep the number crunchers happy, but it will kill the game as a spectator sport for many. Certainly will for me.

I know what you are saying but VAR would have been just fine if they hadn't changed some of the rules - you just know that the big teams with millions of viewers are going to get all the decisions moving forward. We have been done 2 or 3 times and a blatant handball in the previous game never even went to VAR for some reason.

Back