Scotland v Argentina Women's World Cup

I'm really hoping var causes chaos in the epl next season as it has done in Germany and Italy,then a campaign starts to get rid of it for good. Seems to me this whole things only suits the fairweather armchair fan and is completely destroying it for the punters at the game. Just imagine us playing psg tonight and that happened. Worst thing ever introduced to football,absolutely hate it.

Re the actual penalty itself what were your thoughts? From most angles and on first viewing I thought penalty, the referee didn't. With the benefit of VAR it looked like the defender just got a stud on the ball before taking the player, so no penalty. Ref disagreed.

Absolute clusterfuck of decisions followed.

Should never have been in that position.
Plus if letter of law is you dont come off line then thats the law. Shite law i agree but it is what it is. All those saying harsh etc if that was against us in a cup final or to win league and it wasnt retaken we'd be raging.
It wasnt VAR that done Scotland it was complacency and poor tactics
When the letter of the law is so impractical and awful, people have every right to complain about terrible laws.

If we were on Scotland’s end of things tonight then just imagine what you’d be saying.

Sick and fed-up of hearing "we will learn from that game". We never bloody do. It's now the same with the womens team. Scotland just never learn.

For reference.

The draw was matched at 999/1 on Betfair st 3-0

A new record for how odds on Scotland messed it up from

Im a fan of the strict handball rule but no time for trying to make the keeper scarecrows when the opponent is taking a penalty. It's already a relatively easy thing, dont need to make it even easier for them. Suppose the cunts that traveled to the other side of the pitch when they took a jump forward ruined it for everyone though

When the letter of the law is so impractical and awful, people have every right to complain about terrible laws.

If we were on Scotland’s end of things tonight then just imagine what you’d be saying.
Id be raging that we couldnt see out a 3 goal lead with 18 mins to go.
Its not VAR or new laws to the game that done Scotland it was the inabilty to see out a 3 goal lead.
As i have said the law is shite but the players should adapt. They didnt bring the new law in during the game ffs. Id like to think our keeper coach is training the keepers how to deal with this new law for the coming season no sitting bitching about how its unfair

Depends how you look at it. A penalty is a free kick at goal for a foul in the box. A goalkeeper coming of the line narrowing the angle is influencing the outcome. This seems to be an attempt to redress the balance.

But they arnt the same if you want to compare them you need to allow a wall at a penalty

Should never have been in that position.
Plus if letter of law is you dont come off line then thats the law. Shite law i agree but it is what it is. All those saying harsh etc if that was against us in a cup final or to win league and it wasnt retaken we'd be raging.
It wasnt VAR that done Scotland it was complacency and poor tactics

What a load of shite fella ... honking in fact.

I hear you, but without the ridiculous VAR decisions, they'd have won 3-2. Without the ridiculous timekeeping, they'd have had about 7 minutes more to try and win 4-3.

You can't just dismiss those facts.

The time added on was ridiculous, 5 goals, several substitutions and 8 minutes fannying about with VAR, adding on 90 seconds robbed both sides of the chance to progress.

Re the actual penalty itself what were your thoughts? From most angles and on first viewing I thought penalty, the referee didn't. With the benefit of VAR it looked like the defender just got a stud on the ball before taking the player, so no penalty. Ref disagreed.

Absolute clusterfuck of decisions followed.

It's a penalty every day of the week as far as I'm concerned.

What followed though was fucking incredible.

Makes an absolute mockery of VAR.

I don’t care either way with the result but VAR and its implementation totally misunderstands football and will be the thing that bursts the football bubble. taking away the spontaneity, fluidity and the fact that there are very few objective truths in the game when it comes to decisions.
I reckon in 25 years time they will tell you the results before the games are even played.

I think tonight just shows that VAR will not work.
Even when you review decisions we still can't agree.
Over the line not over the line is factual. All other decisions are still open to interpretation.

Not one person claimed for a retake - the referee wouldn't have been any the wiser without somebody in the VAR room telling her to take a look. The rule should only be for when the keeper blatantly moves off the line and not takes half a step just as contact is being made.

So, VAR or no VAR, if the rules hadn’t changed there would have been no retake. It’s the change in rules that was the issue here not the use of VAR.

Maybe they did blow it,but the fact is they were done out of a win after the keeper actually made 2 saves from the penalty.thats part of the game,so they deserved the win,not put out because of tv pictures which now seems to be running football

No sympathy.

Giving away a 3-0 lead is inexcusable. Lack of intelligence from a Scotland team - again. They'll never learn.

Id be raging that we couldnt see out a 3 goal lead with 18 mins to go.
Its not VAR or new laws to the game that done Scotland it was the inabilty to see out a 3 goal lead.
As i have said the law is shite but the players should adapt. They didnt bring the new law in during the game ffs. Id like to think our keeper coach is training the keepers how to deal with this new law for the coming season no sitting bitching about how its unfair
Sure.

See if we get a repeat of the OF when McGregor saved Samaras’ penalty, only instead this time it’s re-taken because his heel wasn’t on the line, I’m sure you won’t be bitching about the rule at all.

Cannae tell me womans football isnt exciting that was a great game just a shame for the wee burd up front in tears at the end she has been excellent very good player..... but if they want to blame someone blame the manager she bawsed the first 2 games and she would done the same in the next stage.

The VAR decision on retake was correct but it was interesting that it was nothing to do with the ref, thats how it will be in Scotland this sort of thing will happen to us all the time.
They were talking about her getting the mens job too !

Sure.

See if we get a repeat of the OF when McGregor saved Samaras’ penalty, only instead this time it’s re-taken because his heel wasn’t on the line, I’m sure you won’t be bitching about the rule at all.
And if Bain saves one to stop us winning the league and it isnt retaken as his heel wasnt on the line you'll be first up to say ce la vie?

Sure.

Best and most important pen save in our history I reckon ! I was there and heart was racing. Theres only one Shagger :))

There must have been a hair in the keeper moving and it happens at every penalty. Heartbreaking end for those girls.
Them Argies celebrating like they've avoided execution on return home.
Hadn't made up my mind about VAR but i have now, get it to feck.
:p What a plonker

Don’t count yer chickens nick
Didnt see any of it, but good to see the boys getting excited about the girl's footie :p
Who would have thought there would be an eleven page thread about women's football on FF?

You can't grasp that VAR/refereeing decisions had a massive effect on the outcome of the game?
You cant grasp that the new rule says a foot must be on the line? It wasnt so new law of game broken...ergo retake penalty and yellow to keeper.
Also had Scotland not capitulated 2 goals previous this wouldnt even be an issue for discussion

Does VAR not have the capability to communicate that the match was stopped on VAR say so between 85:40 and 93:00 min therefore it cannot possibly be finished at 95 something.

Does VAR not have the capability to communicate that the match was stopped on VAR say so between 85:40 and 93:00 min therefore it cannot possibly be finished at 95 something.

The minimum that game should have gone to was 99 mins. Minimum . They’ve made an utter arse of it big time . And it stopped Argentina and us going for the win .

So, VAR or no VAR, if the rules hadn’t changed there would have been no retake. It’s the change in rules that was the issue here not the use of VAR.

I am not knocking VAR as it has it's merit but it also has to be consistent and this world cup has shown us that some things are looked at and others aren't for some reason.

The new rules won't last more than a season ...

You cant grasp that the new rule says a foot must be on the line? It wasnt so new law of game broken...ergo retake penalty and yellow to keeper.
Also had Scotland not capitulated 2 goals previous this wouldnt even be an issue for discussion

Is it alright for a team to take a freekick before a substitute has entered the field of play?

Whatever happened before the 85th minute doesn't change what happened after it.

Every bit of it - did you even watch the game??
Yes and at 3-1 i said they needed to make subs get fresh legs on.
They totally fell away from game and you could see an equaliser coming.
It was a penalty. It was a retake. The way it happened is irrelevant.

The time added on was ridiculous, 5 goals, several substitutions and 8 minutes fannying about with VAR, adding on 90 seconds robbed both sides of the chance to progress.

The French pen the other evenin took 8 mins to actually give it then further time for the retake.

The minimum that game should have gone to was 99 mins. Minimum . They’ve made an utter arse of it big time . And it stopped Argentina and us going for the win .

That’s what I don’t understand. Blowing for full time suited neither team. Both sets of players looked bemused when the game ended.

It's an impractical rule. Without VAR, how is a referee meant to judge?

In games with VAR, it will have to work very quickly in a penalty shoot-out.

Ultimately Scotland were on the end of some poor refereeing decisions throughout the tournament. Even tonight, the ref allows Argentina to take the free kick that leads to the penalty while Scotland are making a sub.

They aren’t allowed to stand behind the line either . Has to be on it . And one foot must be on it when the ball is struck .

Farce .
So just take the keeper out of the goal and give the taker an empty goal. Would this be any more farcical than the new rules.

Pundit (Gemma ex keeper) is ready for swearing.

Keepers dont need to jump 3 feet off line. But it is not natural to leap from a standstill as you say.
Having watched her for close on 10 years she is one of the main reasons its Scotland womens first world cup, good talker of the game but a garbage excuse for a keeper, how she amassed those caps is frightening.

as you say RW12 it is not a natural thing for a keeper to dive from a standing position, might as well just award a goal from now on as VAR gives all the benefits to the player taking the penalty.

It's an impractical rule. Without VAR, how is a referee meant to judge?

In games with VAR, it will have to work very quickly in a penalty shoot-out.

Ultimately Scotland were on the end of some poor refereeing decisions throughout the tournament. Even tonight, the ref allows Argentina to take the free kick that leads to the penalty while Scotland are making a sub.
Im not arguing that it isnt a shite rule or impractical. Im saying that with VAR in place and adherring to new law it was a penalty and it was a retake.
I can see us being on the receiving end of some really dubious decisions this season as the refs know that without VAR they will say that at the time they thought they saw what they saw.
My argument is that we shouldnt even be discussing VAR and a retaken penalty. Scotland should have seen out a 3 goal lead with 18 mins to go. Kerr should have made changes earlier

Back