Scotland v Argentina Women's World Cup

Does VAR not have the capability to communicate that the match was stopped on VAR say so between 85:40 and 93:00 min therefore it cannot possibly be finished at 95 something.
Exactly, say 7 mins there, 6 subs so that’s another 3 mins, Scotland got booked twice for timewasting so that’s another minute minimum, plus anything else, injuries or whatever. 11 mins absolute minimum, how can she play 5?! Utterly bizarre

Sick and fed-up of hearing "we will learn from that game". We never bloody do. It's now the same with the womens team. Scotland just never learn.
Exactly mate.

All the moaning and groaning does not hide the fact that the Scottish national football teams are serial failures - time and time again.

o_O

D9dCzfaXsAAW89S
The National Embarrassment.

VAR has been a resounding success in every other sport. The people operating it are wholly fucking incomptent and selective about what they review and against what team. How the handball incident in Scotland Japan wasnt reviewed and a pen to Scotland just makes a complete mockery of it...

Scottish mens national team luck and crap tactics bleeding into the woman’s game. Really sad for the players and fans but for ffs at 3-0 you shut up shop. VAR is a travesty of a travesty btw.
Americans (because VAR is for and by Americans) have fucked up fitba in their constant quest to make everything perfect.
They fail to recognize that the problem is with them not the sports they’re starting to pollute.

Scottish mens national team luck and crap tactics bleeding into the woman’s game. Really sad for the players and fans but for ffs at 3-0 you shut up shop. VAR is a travesty of a travesty btw.
Americans (because VAR is for and by Americans) have fucked up fitba in their constant quest to make everything perfect.
They fail to recognize that the problem is with them not the sports they’re starting to pollute

Sorry, but I fundamentally disagree with the second half of your post - and not just because I now live in America!

I think VAR is great, because it significantly raises the honesty and competency of vital decisions. I thought the ref tonight totally lost the plot in the closing stages, but you need to take your tartan tammy off, and accept that (a) absolutely it was a penalty, and (b) Alexander chose to cheat at the first attempt. In other words, the ref (ultimately) got both those two game changing decisions correct, although why she took so long to do so remains a mystery - she should have been able to reach these decisions far more quickly.

Here is my worry . . . because Scotland has suffered (albeit correctly) from VAR in this tournament, the SFA will halt its use here, and as refs are so reluctant to give decisions for us, or against Celtic, the multiple injustices we saw last season will only be repeated. I do believe that more correct decisions will be reached when VAR is available, and this will certainly benefit Rangers more than Celtic. That can only be good for Scottish football.

Kerr should be sacked for that display....3-0 up and 17 mins left,team dead on their feet and she doesn't put subs on until 8 mins left...game management ffs.
Hope Solo called her management into question in the game against Japan, Solo for all the loudmouthed ex pro that she is called it spot on imo, she has no clue about game management what so ever

Sorry, but I fundamentally disagree with the second half of your post - and not just because I now live in America!

I think VAR is great, because it significantly raises the honesty and competency of vital decisions. I thought the ref tonight totally lost the plot in the closing stages, but you need to take your tartan tammy off, and accept that (a) absolutely it was a penalty, and (b) Alexander chose to cheat at the first attempt. In other words, the ref (ultimately) got both those two game changing decisions correct, although why she took so long to do so remains a mystery - she should have been able to reach these decisions far more quickly.

Here is my worry . . . because Scotland has suffered (albeit correctly) from VAR in this tournament, the SFA will halt its use here, and as refs are so reluctant to give decisions for us, or against Celtic, the multiple injustices we saw last season will only be repeated. I do believe that more correct decisions will be reached when VAR is available, and this will certainly benefit Rangers more than Celtic. That can only be good for Scottish football.
Don't agree. Football is not a tv sport,fine for rugby and cricket with the stop start nature of both sports. When the day comes and that seems to be getting nearer, that the fans hang back celebrating from scoring a goal,then it ruins the occasion. Even watching the game last night I was half expecting a var decision every time a goal was scored. No use flying down a few rows of seats if getting an injury time winner against the Tim's to feel like a prat 5 mins later while they make up their mind for someone's toe to be in an offside position

Don't agree. Football is not a tv sport,fine for rugby and cricket with the stop start nature of both sports. When the day comes and that seems to be getting nearer, that the fans hang back celebrating from scoring a goal,then it ruins the occasion. Even watching the game last night I was half expecting a var decision every time a goal was scored. No use flying down a few rows of seats if getting an injury time winner against the Tim's to feel like a prat 5 mins later while they make up their mind for someone's toe to be in an offside position

Great post

Felt heart sorry for the Scotland lassies tonight who played superbly well for 75 minutes .

The manager must carry a huge wedge of the blame for blowing a 3 goal lead . No excuses I’m afraid .

As for the referee , she made a fool of herself and basically set the womans game back years with a manic , almost comedy show of tragic proportions . Between her and whoever was running VAR it was truly tragic to watch it unfurl .

To those who say VAR got it right -at the instant the ball is touched by the penalty taker , the Scotland keeper still has a toe on the goal line as required . It’s a catastrophic failure of VAR or a desperation to find an example of the new rule being enforced , take your pick .

As for there being virtually no added injury time after the penalty - that’s been sheer incompetence beyond belief .

I certainly won’t be watching any more women’s football after that .

To those who say VAR got it right -at the instant the ball is touched by the penalty taker , the Scotland keeper still has a toe on the goal line as required . It’s a catastrophic failure of VAR or a desperation to find an example of the new rule being enforced , take your pick .

To be fair, it all happens in a split second, but at the very least it's debatable.

3ycmx41
3ycmx41

VAR is utter shite and hated across Europe where it's been implemented. Will be the end of football as we know it. Think I will start following the lower leagues (other than Rangers) if it becomes widescale.

The penalty shenanigans at the end is allowing the abysmal refereeing of some brutal tackles by the argies to be overlooked. One of their players should have had about 4 yellow cards and a red to my count, but ended with a single yellow. Elbows, diving, and tackles from behind going unpunished, but kicking the ball away being ruthlessly punished. Shite refereeing.

When people starting crying for goal line technology, I knew it wouldnt stop at that and VAR has ruined football.

I like goal line technology because it's either over the line or it's not. VAR is basically just asking a punter whether they thought something was a penalty or not. A majority of the time it's all subjective, so another opinion really doesn't help.

I didn’t see the game, but it looks like the women have managed to emulate the men in blowing it at a World Cup like only Scotland can.

The game itself was actually a great advert for womens football, totally ruined by that farce at the end

My sentiments exactly, An open flowing game and then the farce that is VAR is introduced for goalkeepers at penalty kicks, jeez! it will ruin the beautiful game.

Hope Solo called her management into question in the game against Japan, Solo for all the loudmouthed ex pro that she is called it spot on imo, she has no clue about game management what so ever
Apart from being John Hughes in drag, Shelley Kerr seems to be a pretty shit football manager. That was an abysmal last 20 mins and they were utterly clueless.

If they are going down that route then the penalty that counted, should have been retaken due to another player being in the box.

They will be coming home with their heads held high is what they are saying on this morning's news.

Sorry ladies but you shouldn't be.
Ok,hard done by with that penalty but how can you feck that game up from a position like that ?

They will be coming home with their heads held high is what they are saying on this morning's news.

Sorry ladies but you shouldn't be.
Ok,hard done by with that penalty but how can you feck that game up from a position like that ?

They should.

They had a decent tournament and were arguably fucked over by stupid rule changes that will never last.

Haven't read the whole thread and never watched the game, however I have seen the penalty, and from what I have read it seems the majority are against VAR. I'm not totally against it but it's been so badly implemented with this game is an example and I can only see it getting worse.
It's been mentioned before that there should be some kind of challenge system like they have in tennis which would take away the interference from off the pitch and into the hands of the players. As has been mentioned earlier, the Argentina teams players never challenged the keepers movement and imo that should be that.
I also agree that at 3 up no team should end up in that position.

Absolutely gutted for them.

Putting issues of being 3 up to the side for a moment, we have had 3 major VAR calls go against us in 3 games - that’s pretty difficult to take.

The ref made some incredibly basic errors throughout including the sub right before the free kick that led to their penalty.

Goalkeepers are taught to step forwards and dove, how the hell are they meant to do that now with this rule? What was the issue with the previous rule of allowing one step?

Despite last nights disappointment this is huge for ll of use in the women’s football community / game. Scotland are here to stay as a team who makes major tournaments.

VAR is a farce. Are folk on here still defending it or does everyone now realise how bad it is?

After last night I have done a U turn on it.

It is not being used for clear mistakes - it’s looking at micro mistakes which are in no way obvious. And it only ever seems to be used for incidents in the box or offside.

A free kick is a free kick wherever it is on the pitch - not just the box. Argentina could have have had a sending off as well last night but no VAR reply.

Ultimately human error lets the system down so allow that human error come from the officials on the pitch only. It’s the fairest system.

If VAR wasn't used the Argies would have accepted defeat and got on with it.

I seriously doubt they'd have gone nuts about the goalkeeper being six inches off the line.

This is not what VAR was brought in for.
Serious injustices I can understand, but that was an absolute farce last night.

If it ever comes to Scotland, we(Rangers) are well and truly fucked.
Be careful what you wish for.

I’m not convinced it was a penalty at all. I genuinely thought the defender got the slightest of touches on the ball, although I accept it wasn’t clear. So, not clear mistake, stick with ref decision? Re the pen, keeper is off her line, sadly.

However, the standard of refereeing before all this was truly pish. That ref last night was shite. End of.

All that said, losing a 3 goal lead in 16 mins at the end is the most Scottish thing ever. It really does get so tiresome always being plucky dead unlucky losers finding new way after new way to got out dead unluckily.

The angle behind the defender sliding showed the ball deviating as if it was touched

It was shown once then the angles to give a pen were all you saw for 4 minutes

Scotland's no 2 is pants. Good positions only to give ball away constantly.
Argie's diving is shocking. (no Belgrano jokes)

Wummin's fitba used to be only place now to see old style "honest" fitba.
Money now involved so all the aspects of cheating creeping in: just like the men's game.
VAR is shite, it takes away the raw emotion of being a football fan
We have lost the excitement of the goal being scored,waiting to see if it's being allowed.:(

They should.

They had a decent tournament and were arguably fucked over by stupid rule changes that will never last.

No doubt they were f.ucked over but they should never have allowed Argentina to reach that stage.
If they would showed the same desire in the first two games they would have been through.
There was nothing glorious about this failure.

VAR has been a resounding success in every other sport. .

Where sports are stop/start games based on set pieces.

Football was always simple, fast and it flowed...as few stoppages as possible. That really mitigates against VAR imho. In fact it used to be very simple: deliberate handball only for a penalty, very few red cars dished out, tackling allowed as long as ball won etc...

We can argue the VAR stuff - but the fact of the matter is that the Scotland keeper was told specifically by the ref not to come off her line. She spent time physically telling her this and pointing it out to the extent that everyone in the stadium and watching on tv knew exactly what the rule was on this.

So what does the keeper do ? - comes off her line. Madness.

But failure to close out a game 3-0 up with 16 mins to go is the real issue here. No sympathy for them. And their manager seems pretty shite.

I disagree that she chose to "Cheat" Alexander has probably been doing that for penalties since she started playing and the crackdown on the rule probably taking a while to adjust. If you look as the ball is kicked her foot is on the line from one angle. Scotland also suffered incorrectly from penalty decisions they didn't even get reviewed.
VAR is only as good as those using it and the decision the referee makes to go to it.
They shouldn't have conceded the two earlier goals though, always easier to blame someone/something else.

The penalty incident showed that to the naked eye (and most still photos) her foot was on line when ball was struck. VAR has no place interfering as that CANNOT be a clear and obvious error by ref or linesman. If it needs endless repays at slow speed to decide fractions of a centimeter then it is not being used correctly.

I'm all for goal-line technology but VAR is not for me and a step way too far. God forbid that its ever introduced up here as only one team will benefit.

Blowing a 3 goal lead is inexcusable and the Manager should resign.

The calamitous officiating makes women's football look utter farcical and the whole VAR thing is going to make the games last a very long time and leave very little for the fans to be emotional about.

Ball goes into the net.......fans celebrate.....then stop as, of course, it's being reviewed.....5 minutes later, goal is given......do you celebrate again? The momentum is now lost on the emotion and the game itself.

There was a lot of folk choking for it to to be introduced up here in order that they could slightly tilt their tinfoil hat for a second. Is this still the case?

Not using var to hide the fact that they did indeed let themselves down,but I've been watching a few games the last few weeks,from the u20 world cup,the toloun tournament and the amount of games where var is the main talking point, doesn't bode well for the game. It has got even worse since the new rules came in. The game is now being decided by tv cameras and that is not good for the punters at the game who pay good money to watch live football. What are they trying to do empty the stadiums,because if tv pictures are the main reason for the outcome,people would be as well sitting at home watching.

It's quite obvious VAR can't be applied to all aspects of the game.

I think it works for whether a goal was onside or offside.

I thought VAR would be a good thing but it is turning into a farce. Good for very decisive moments but not good the way they go about it.

Ultimately losing 3 goals in the last 15 minutes lost us the chance to progress however its certainly highlighted numerous flaws in the short existance of VAR. I'd like to know if the penalty would have been retaken if Argie bird had scored from her initial attempted rebound for the first penalty or does the rule only apply if the penalty is saved or missed.... going to see so many retakes in the coming months.

Ultimately losing 3 goals in the last 15 minutes lost us the chance to progress however its certainly highlighted numerous flaws in the short existance of VAR. I'd like to know if the penalty would have been retaken if Argie bird had scored from her initial attempted rebound for the first penalty or does the rule only apply if the penalty is saved or missed.... going to see so many retakes in the coming months.
That's a fair point mate,somehow I doubt it would have been retaken
Another thing that bothers me is regards the world cup final. I can't prove it,but I'm quite sure if that penalty decision was the other way round,Croatia wouldn't have been given that penalty

Chose to cheat?:confused:

It was a cracking match and I am now a fan of girls' football.
3-0 up and we blew it. Argentina made good use of subs and we didn't. They looked stronger at the end. VAR: one angle showed that our player got a touch on the ball for their penalty and therefore the penalty shouldn't have been given. For the penalty retake, I am not convinced that our player had moved off the line as the ball was shot, not clear cut so again I think there should not have been a retake. My main gripe with VAR in this game was that a tremendous moment, the exuberance of seeing our goalie make a great double save was taken away from us. There was not enough added time, it seems as though the ref didn't include the time that VAR took.

Back