Scotland v Argentina Women's World Cup

VAR works in other sports, the reason is simple most other sports are stop start while football is very fluid.

Also with football a goal is special and celebrated more than the equivalent in every other sport because they are so rare and mean more, so the constant reviews after goals will effect football fans enjoyment far more than that of other sports also.

In my opinion this simply needs stopped now, the beauty of football was it's simple nature, that a group of wee pals could use there jumpers as goalposts and kick around a ball (sometimes a bottle or anything else if spontaneous and no one had a ball) and believe they were their favourite player for a little bit. This is being lost the more complex the game becomes.

As for top level football nowadays, I have nearly lost all interest, if it wasn't for Rangers I would have been lost to the sport a while ago, until this year where I have been watching my step son play youth games and watching the kids play the basic game and learn is far more fun than Man city v Chelsea in my opinion.

I like goal line technology because it's either over the line or it's not. VAR is basically just asking a punter whether they thought something was a penalty or not. A majority of the time it's all subjective, so another opinion really doesn't help.

Is it beyond them to have a VAR gallery at touchline level, saving the ref from having to run from the pitch

VAR works in other sports, the reason is simple most other sports are stop start while football is very fluid.

Also with football a goal is special and celebrated more than the equivalent in every other sport because they are so rare and mean more, so the constant reviews after goals will effect football fans enjoyment far more than that of other sports also.

In my opinion this simply needs stopped now, the beauty of football was it's simple nature, that a group of wee pals could use there jumpers as goalposts and kick around a ball (sometimes a bottle or anything else if spontaneous and no one had a ball) and believe they were their favourite player for a little bit. This is being lost the more complex the game becomes.

As for top level football nowadays, I have nearly lost all interest, if it wasn't for Rangers I would have been lost to the sport a while ago, until this year where I have been watching my step son play youth games and watching the kids play the basic game and learn is far more fun than Man city v Chelsea in my opinion.
Great post!

VAR in this country would mean the bheasts, if they’ve still got their licence,would never lose another domestic game ever.
Their games would take longer than an NFL fixture to complete.

The fact that people have differing opinions on the penalty retake proves it was not a clear and obvious decision,remember that which they all promised us before bringing it in.
Personnely I don't think it should have been another spot kick and sadly a special football moment was lost and the girl goes from being a hero making a great double save to getting a yellow card. Another thing was the argie player winding up the crowd to pressure the ref into giving them the decision when she was checking the screen. They've learnt well from their men's football

they have to keep a foot on the line, its disgraceful, basically its giving the taker a free hit.

Which of course is precisely what a penalty kick was supposed to do from the very beginning. The new rule is actually less harsh that the original (both feet behind the line) but it is the intro of technology that is causing the revisionism...and we all know who the kings of revisionism are!

The fact that people have differing opinions on the penalty retake proves it was not a clear and obvious decision,remember that which they all promised us before bringing it in.
Personnely I don't think it should have been another spot kick and sadly a special football moment was lost and the girl goes from being a hero making a great double save to getting a yellow card. Another thing was the argie player winding up the crowd to pressure the ref into giving them the decision when she was checking the screen. They've learnt well from their men's football

Yep the Argie women were just as big cheating cnuts as their male counterparts.

Is it just me or does Jonathan Pierce continually talk absolute gibberish whilst commentating on the games? What happened to the days of simply identifying the player on the ball?

Gutted for them, great going forward but defensively pretty honking. Special mention to wee Erin who reminded me so much of our own wee Alfie, nice touch holding up the pic of her outside Ibrox as a wee lassie :)

I know you're a fan, so you'll agree the increase in instant replays is also killing the NFL. Every other play, they're stopping the game to look at a video replay. That game is slow enough, without additional stops.

The biggest issue I have with VAR is the logical inconsistency that the game down the local park with a ref and two linesmen, was always on a level playing field with a game at Ibrox or Wembley. That is no longer the case. In fact, you'll have games within the same competition using different rules. You think they'll have VAR at a third round Scottish Cup game at Arbroath? They probably would at Ibrox or Hampden.

The game existed for 150 years without it. In the U.S., the major sports are seeing the negatives in trying to over officiate. They're picking and choosing which parts of the game to review. It's idiotic.

VAR works in others sports where, unlike football, 90% of decisions are not in the "referee's opinion"

This is probably one of the craziest games I've ever watched and by crazy I mean diabolical officiating. From constant ridiculous over the top of the ball challenges by Argentina going unpunished, Agentina players simulation, a foul on Leanne Crichton leading to their first goal, their second was a cracker no issue their however the 3rd and arguably most contentious was the penalty which began as they took a free kick 40 yards from goal while Scotland were in the middle of making a substitution. The free kick should have been retaken as there were 12 Scotland players on the park when the kick was taken. Then the amount of time lost due to the penalty retake.

Argentina themselves had as good a claim as us to feel hard done by at the lack of time added on as at that point they were in the driving seat and had the game been allowed to play on, as we expected the game would, then if they had scored it would have taken them through instead of us. Instead we got complete confusion from both teams at the final whistle. I continued to watch and two women one Argentine and one Scot quizzed the ref at the same time and she quite clearly indicated that she had been told there was only 5 minutes to be added and the clock showed 95 mins which is completely bizarre given that the penalty incident took somewhere in the region of 7 minutes to be concluded, there had been 6 substitutions which is agreed should add 30 sec per sub and also a couple of injuries where the trainer was brought on. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth after what was a fiercely competitive and good match to watch.

This is probably one of the craziest games I've ever watched and by crazy I mean diabolical officiating. From constant ridiculous over the top of the ball challenges by Argentina going unpunished, Agentina players simulation, a foul on Leanne Crichton leading to their first goal, their second was a cracker no issue their however the 3rd and arguably most contentious was the penalty which began as they took a free kick 40 yards from goal while Scotland were in the middle of making a substitution. The free kick should have been retaken as there were 12 Scotland players on the park when the kick was taken. Then the amount of time lost due to the penalty retake.

Argentina themselves had as good a claim as us to feel hard done by at the lack of time added on as at that point they were in the driving seat and had the game been allowed to play on, as we expected the game would, then if they had scored it would have taken them through instead of us. Instead we got complete confusion from both teams at the final whistle. I continued to watch and two women one Argentine and one Scot quizzed the ref at the same time and she quite clearly indicated that she had been told there was only 5 minutes to be added and the clock showed 95 mins which is completely bizarre given that the penalty incident took somewhere in the region of 7 minutes to be concluded, there had been 6 substitutions which is agreed should add 30 sec per sub and also a couple of injuries where the trainer was brought on. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth after what was a fiercely competitive and good match to watch.
There are no excuses,they were 3-0 up with 17mins to go,they only have themselves to blame,If this had been the mens team they would be getting absolutely slaughtered in the media. Pretty cringey listening to all the excuses from them,In my opinion the ladies team has went backwards since the other woman left.

We can argue the VAR stuff - but the fact of the matter is that the Scotland keeper was told specifically by the ref not to come off her line. She spent time physically telling her this and pointing it out to the extent that everyone in the stadium and watching on tv knew exactly what the rule was on this.

So what does the keeper do ? - comes off her line. Madness.

But failure to close out a game 3-0 up with 16 mins to go is the real issue here. No sympathy for them. And their manager seems pretty shite.

Was some idiot in the mhedia not touting her for a job in men's senior football a few days ago?

The referee restarted play before one of the Scotland subs even got onto the pitch. She was so far out of her depth. It was like watching s Scottish official ref one of our games. Everything went for Argentina in that match.

The referee restarted play before one of the Scotland subs even got onto the pitch. She was so far out of her depth. It was like watching s Scottish official ref one of our games. Everything went for Argentina in that match.

I agree with you that many decisions went in favour of Argentina however, while we were complaining about it from our perspective, the biggest one from their perspective was that they weren't given the correct amount of time to score again at the end of the match. If they had then they would have gone through don't forget they had 1 point and would have qualified if they had scored again.

There are no excuses,they were 3-0 up with 17mins to go,they only have themselves to blame,If this had been the mens team they would be getting absolutely slaughtered in the media. Pretty cringey listening to all the excuses from them,In my opinion the ladies team has went backwards since the other woman left.

I apologise if I wasn't clear enough and you interpreted that as I was making excuses for throwing away a 3-0 advantage. I wasn't. I was discussing the officiating and not only from a Scotland perspective.

I think Argentina were on the up and would have scored again if the correct time would have been added.

But there are excuses.

The lassie saved a penalty and it was illegally ruled out

She moved off the line before it was hit,nothing illegal about it.

As far as the penalty retake argument is concerned the FA has the rule here

When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, or in line with, the goal line.

From the evidence, freeze frame shots, I personally don't think its clear enough to make that call at the moment of contact even in review which the ref did not do in this game. The ref was instructed by the VAR officials that the keeper was off her line.

Premier League have came out and confirmed that they won't be enforcing this rule with VAR thank %^*&.

As well just awarding an automatic goal for penalties and it would waste less time. Farcical that keepers aren't even allowed to be behind the line for penalties. One foot has to be standing on it.

How many people can reach one of the post jumping from a dead start?

Watching the Euro under 21 game at the moment Denmark v Austria.

Austria gets penalty and Danish keeper saves it, he was about 2 feet off his line when the ball was hit.

Ref waves play on.

Different rules for the same sport. This is going to make a mockery of our beautiful game.

Bit hasty with the MBE for the coach I suspect.

They absolutely failed at the World Cup, bottom in group which was below their ranking.

George Burley will be knocking on the queens door looking for a medal soon.

Chile Thailand game there, penalty VAR incident, all dealt with much quicker than last night, no retake or anything, no other real incidents in the half - 7 mins injury time and they ended up playing nearer 8. Makes last night even more bizarre

I agree entirely with your sentiments of the innocence of the game but unfortunately corrupt referees have necessitated this.

I agree entirely with your sentiments of the innocence of the game but unfortunately corrupt referees have necessitated this.

Maybe so but it's referees that are making the decisions now anonymously surely that's worse.

As I said outside Rangers, I have more fun watching my step son play (Going by your name one of the local youth clubs to you, Colony Park) than watching what football has become at the top level, has far more problems than VAR too.

Back