Scotland v Brazil, France ‘98 - BBC Scotland 7.15pm

HandsomeHead

Bizarrely I remember watching this in my flat in south London with a whole bunch of folk including one of the members of poof punk band Busted!

What’s everyone else’s memories of the last time Scotland qualified for a World Cup?

Watched this in Polmont prison officers club.think I was the only one that cheered when Boyd made an arse of it

Was still in school, 4th year I think. We got away early so we could watch it. Made our English teacher put on the warm up when we were still there.

Busted - that’s some going given they must’ve been around 15 as well. Did you know them before they were famous?

Watched this at my gran's and I was unbelievably excited, only a wee boy then, in primary 2 or 3. I'll never forgive that bastard Boyd.

Bizarrely I remember watching this in my flat in south London with a whole bunch of folk including one of the members of poof punk band Busted!

What’s everyone else’s memories of the last time Scotland qualified for a World Cup?
I'd just picked up the keys to my new house in Sidcup, then shot off up to London Bridge to see the game. Ended up banging out one of my workmates who celebrated their winner. Good Times.

Was still in school, 4th year I think. We got away early so we could watch it. Made our English teacher put on the warm up when we were still there.

Busted - that’s some going given they must’ve been around 15 as well. Did you know them before they were famous?

Think they were just starting out. I was on the periphery of the music scene in those days - a misspent youth (actually, I was 28) - but this kid (I cant remember what one it was) sat there looking more than a little uncomfortable as this big group of Glaswegians (and a few Cockneys) got more and more drunk and stoned watching the game hurling abuse and the odd empty can at the telly.

"What’s everyone else’s memories of the last time Scotland qualified for a World Cup?"

Knowing they would f**k it up!
To he fair, that was the only one we didnt have a Scottish hard lines story with it, when knocked out.

Was it Morocco that humped us in the last game, 3-0 I think.

Watched it in the newly revamped Carters bar in Wick , atmosphere was electric in the town that morning , saltires all owerthe place, it was bad weather so we weren’t at sea, anyhow when Scotland scored the penalty the place went bananas , beer everywhere , glasses in bits ( bet the owner wished he just waited another 4 days to reopen)
Anytime big Ronnie got the ball , the fear was obvious , what a player he was , simply outstanding

I watched this in the old Bonkers, place was absolutely heaving, I mind I had a brand new pair of Timberlands on, they were completely ruined after it.

Craig Browns squad selections for that World Cup were an absolute disgrace, a horrible, wee clueless bastard.

Travesty that McCoist wasn’t taken and Jackson was. Craig Brown claiming Jackson wasn’t in on sentimentality.

The game against the Norwegians late on game was 1 1. A ball gets put across the 6 yard box right between the keeper and defenders nobody there. I always remember thinking if mccoist was in the team he would have been there. Considering the second half of the season ally had he should have gone.

As for the brazil game. I went out the room when collins was taking the penalty and I just remember ronaldo flying past I think it was boyd and hendry

Just had a wee gander again thinking about this, the dottery wee twat actually selected 8 feckin Celtic players in that squad.

EIGHT :oops:

Travesty that McCoist wasn’t taken and Jackson was. Craig Brown claiming Jackson wasn’t in on sentimentality.

I think he started something like six games in the league for Celtic that season.

Vividly recall the huge excitement around the country ahead of this game.
From memory Played really well that day. let down by that idiot Boyd’s own goal.

I was there,honestly thought we gave them a good game.
Norway could have went either way,and Morocco steamrollered us.
Typical Scotland.

A person from my workplace won an “all expenses paid” trip to see this game. Asked him afterwards about the experience and he said his wife wanted to see the feckin Eiffel Tower.

I think I’ve just pinpointed the moment I stopped supporting the national team.

1) Dougie Donnelly talking about Darren Fucking Jackson exploiting space behind Roberto Carlos.

2) The players in their ridiculous kilts waving at the crowd as if “we’re just here to make up the numbers”. Would never have caught Souness et al doing that.

also... the Brazilian anthem has to be top 3 of all time.

If anything summed up Broon it's that starting XI.

A goalkeeper past his sell by date chosen ahead of a proven EPL keeper.
A centre half at left back.
Three pensioners in the back three
A central midfielder who scored 15 goals and won player of the year that season at right back.
Darren Jackson who missed three months of the season and barely started for the Tims in as a number 10.
Gordon Durie who scored in 2 league games all season up front to get goals.

(Fun fact - 8 of that Scotland team were 30 or over)

As for Tom Boyd...

The guy he's marking is at one post, he's heading in from a few years out at the other. Why the hell was he trying to head the ball that close to goal?

Anyone go to France for it?

Opening match must have been tough to get tickets, what about the other matches?

I was only 14 at the time

Jim Leighton was utter shite that night
I thought you were at it, when you said he was playing. Checked it out first as I thought you were taking the piss. Why the f**k was he playing?

Cant remember that,due to the fact it was not a memorable game, that I lost interest in very quickly.

Tom Boyd, Christian Dailly, Craig Burley and Darren Jackson.

All in the same team, representing Scotland at a World Cup finals.

F**k me!

I thought you were at it, when you said he was playing. Checked it out first as I thought you were taking the piss. Why the f**k was he playing?

Cant remember that,due to the fact it was not a memorable game, that I lost interest in very quickly.

I'm fairly sure Goram was in the squad but had some sort of meltdown or argument and pulled out prior to the start of it

Was just starting 6th year (that wee bit where you went back after exams). Went to Bella ark to watch it as we couldn’t get a ticket for the licensed event at the Green.

Town was jumping.

Somehow despite shitting the bed v Morocco, Leighton incredibly retained the number 1 jersey for the Euro 2000 qualifiers.

Only when he sold 2 goals v Estonia and got dogs abuse from the press did he finally do what he threatened to do every time he was criticised - take his ball and fúck off home.

If anything summed up Broon it's that starting XI.

A goalkeeper past his sell by date chosen ahead of a proven EPL keeper.
A centre half at left back.
Three pensioners in the back three
A central midfielder who scored 15 goals and won player of the year that season at right back.
Darren Jackson who missed three months of the season and barely started for the Tims in as a number 10.
Gordon Durie who scored in 2 league games all season up front to get goals.

(Fun fact - 8 of that Scotland team were 30 or over)
It was the end of Brown that campaign, he went out to a whimper as usual

Back