Scotland v Brazil, France ‘98 - BBC Scotland 7.15pm

I'm fairly sure Goram was in the squad but had some sort of meltdown or argument and pulled out prior to the start of it

There was a story that Leighton had given Broon a 'him or me' ultimatum when it came to choosing his number 1 keeper for France 98. He had already chucked his toys out the pram when Goram got the nod for Euro 96. I think Goram decided he didn't need the hassle and quit. Remember Goram didn't have a club either at this point. An injury and he'd be screwed.

Truth be told neither Goram nor Leighton should've been anywhere near a starting jersey for Scotland by that stage.

Remember my whole class in school having our face painted for the game. Rushing home and the disappointment after the poet scoring the OG.

There was a story that Leighton had given Broon a 'him or me' ultimatum when it came to choosing his number 1 keeper for France 98. He had already chucked his toys out the pram when Goram got the nod for Euro 96. I think Goram decided he didn't need the hassle and quit. Remember Goram didn't have a club either at this point. An injury and he'd be screwed.

Truth be told neither Goram nor Leighton should've been anywhere near a starting jersey for Scotland by that stage.

Sullivan was the form keeper was he not?

I'm fairly sure Goram was in the squad but had some sort of meltdown or argument and pulled out prior to the start of it

Goram found out from someone in the Scotland camp that Brown would be going with Leighton as first choice keeper.

Goram wasn’t having that and got set to leave, but not before Brown asked him not to fly back to Glasgow incase it made a scene !!

You could add Goram to a number of Rangers players who had little time for Brown or Roxburgh.

I was only 8 at the time but surely there must have been massive questions around the squad selection. Craig Brown really was a terrible manager

Goram was well out of shape by that point and sold a few goals for us that season but I'd still have been more confident with him than old bandy legs.

Was this not the world cup that Roxburgh told Walter that scotland was running out of players.

He was right about that and its really went downhill since.

Rivaldo was outstanding against Denmark in the quarters.

What a game that was.

It was the last time I can remember watching a World Cup and there still being great players you didn’t really know.

Rivaldo was one, Jay Jay Okocha of Nigeria another.

After that football became such a 24/7 global commodity that you simply couldn’t avoid the blanket coverage of all the minutiae involved in it.

I think we lost something then. That unknown element was what used to make the World Cup so exciting.

Anyone go to France for it?

Opening match must have been tough to get tickets, what about the other matches?

I was only 14 at the time
My ex wife was going to buy me a restricted view ticket for 500 quid at the time, thank fyck she mentioned it before buying. That was a lot of dough back then.

It was the last time I can remember watching a World Cup and there still being great players you didn’t really know.

After that football became such a 24/7 global commodity that you simply couldn’t avoid the blanket coverage of all the minutiae involved in it.

I think we lost something then. That unknown element was what used to make the World Cup so exciting.

I remember being incredibly excited about watching Marcelo Salas on the back of that game he destroyed England at Wembley earlier that year.

First game v Italy - 2 goals.

Before the internet really kicked in

I thought Netherlands were the best team at that world cup.

I watched the semi final v Brazil in a bar in central London that was full of Brazilians. Me and my mates all wanted the Dutch to win, mainly because of Advocaat’s arrival and the imminent Orange Order he was set to bring with him.

The Brazilians in the bar couldn’t understand why any neutral would want anyone other than Brazil to win though. Several came over to ask us exactly this. They weren’t aggressive, just genuinely baffled that Brazil weren’t our default side.

That ‘please love us’ element felt uncomfortably like Timbo to me and I’ve never had much time for Brazil since.

Was watching a re-run of the Netherlands v Argentina a few weekends ago and forgot how many of that Dutch team we ended up signing . Always wanted Kluivert to sign for us .

Opening match must have been tough to get tickets, what about the other matches?

Yes.

IIRC this was outwith the days of outright online MasterCard type ballots.

There was a French phone number and you phoned up for tickets.
Each country had its own allotted number of tickets for each match which meant, when you eventually got through after days of trying, those with a Scottish address got told “sold out”

Provide an address in a different nation however and Bob was your Uncle.

He actually hits that in with his arm, rather than the ball hitting him, the daft mentally challenged twat.

Was on Sea Trials anchored at Campbeltown and we went ashore to watch it in the Black Sheep. Weather was brilliant, atmosphere fantastic and as folk say that Diddy Boyd ruined it. Genuinely 98 world Cup the last time I remember caring about a Scotland score! Shocking how the governing body have alienated a large percentage of our support!

Watched it in a big square in Paris, Hotel de Ville maybe ?
It was estimated that around 30, 000 scots were in Paris for the game. Had great fun on Champs Elysees during the day and was in Auld Alliance bar that night (the night after Collymore had his "moment").
Went to Bordeaux with a truly horrendous hangover.

An absolutely amazing 10 days.

The day I passed my driving test. Remember after 5 minutes when Sampaio scored thinking this is going to be a long 90 minutes.

The daily record hotline the next day full of praise for Scotland’s performance, until the last caller, obviously a bear, having a go (rightly) at Tom Boyd. Think the words I read were “that was just typical of a Celtic player”

Fair play to Tom Boyd, not many Scotsman that can lay claim to scoring a winner for Brazil in the World Cup finals. The useless lady's front bottom.

Watched it in a big square in Paris, Hotel de Ville maybe ?
It was estimated that around 30, 000 scots were in Paris for the game. Had great fun on Champs Elysees during the day and was in Auld Alliance bar that night (the night after Collymore had his "moment").
Went to Bordeaux with a truly horrendous hangover.

An absolutely amazing 10 days.
I was there too. What a great day it was. Remember it started pishing down at full time

Went over to Paris for Brazil game, no ticket , just enjoyed the atmosphere. They put the game on large screens directly outside stadium in park area with beer tent. It was probably 80%scots fans, beer tent ran dry at half time.

Remember this well. 1998 was the first "proper" World Cup for me - was too young for 1990 and 1994 was ok but not a lot of interest because Scotland weren't there (got a cracking wee ball from McDonald's though). Had been to a few of the home games in the qualifiers with the BB as well.

Was buzzing all day in school, we all were and 3 o'clock couldn't come quick enough. Ran home, quickly changed into my Scotland top and I'm away with the family to a house party along the road.

All the guys in one room, all the women in the other but everyone watching the game. The carnage when Scotland got the penalty, then 10 times over when it was scored. Always thought Tom Boyd was a fanny and he proved it just as it looked like Scotland might get a result against the odds. Spent the rest of the day in the huff thanks to that cùnt.

Rest of the campaign was just typical Scotland.

We were in the fan zone outside the stadium as we didn’t have a ticket for this match.
Went to 5 games over the 3 weeks we were travelling around France.
Great trip.

I remember Leighton in the Morocco game. Ooft.
Well past it then. How did Goram not get picked in front of him?

Goram that season for us was how shall we put it then...unprofessional? He certainly wasn't the only one of course. Big factor in us screwing up the 10.

Leighton I agree should never have still been getting picked at International level but that was hardly an endorsement for taking Goram instead.

Can remember running home from school to watch it. Never thought for a minute Scotland wouldn’t qualify for another major tournament.

Craig brown is the most successful Scotland manager of my lifetime.

It was the day of my 16th birthday, started working 0n the building sites a week earlier and my tradesman gave me a 4 pack of Miller to watch the game. My auld man let me drink them in the house to watch the game because I was a man out working, lol

Worked a half shift in the morning, went the pub to watch the game - was packed and was great atmosphere - gutted had to go back to work, got ‘sent home’ for being drunk, back to the pub, met an old girlfriend from high school at a taxi rank, took her up the road, pumped her, taxi next morning for her, back up my mates with a carryout for Chille game. Those were the days :)

Back