Scotland V Sweden Italia 90-BBC Scotland

I remember watching the game in my aunt and uncles house, there was a squad of us in, all cheering like mad (changed days). If I remember correctly it was a great match, really exciting.

McPherson, Levein, Mcleish and Malpas at the back.

I remember King Richard was at that World Cup, was he injured or dropped?

I was 12 and in Crete trying to find a place that had the game on my Dad losing the plot and demanding a pub full of English and Germans put the game on I could have died of embarrassment. Then when we won I was on his shoulders. Looking at it now how many times did Ally get shafted in tournaments. Some team the auld swedes had too.

Was this a Saturday night?
Yep, about 20 of us watched it in my mates house, was a mixed crowd of us and them( doubt you’d get that now), great night we all had left school that year and was the best summer for football and music.
First time I've seen the game since.

Was this a Saturday night?

It was indeed. I mind my folks went out so i had the freedom of the living room to shout and bawl at the tv and jump around mental when we scored our goals.

Mentioned it in another thread last week this is the last time scotland won a game at a world cup.

Last edited:
The only time Scotland have won a crunch game at the WC, against a good team, and when it really mattered?

I know there was Holland in 78 but the Dutch could always step it up if there was a real concern of them going out.

Was 9 my old man took me round to my gran n papas , he had 6 cans and the old yin’s were on the drams I was Centre front of the telly wae my ginger beer! Is this the one Murdock McLeod gets knocked out wae a free kick? Also remember that from a game at this World Cup

My memory of this is that the weather wasn’t too dissimilar to today’s weather. Was a beautiful Saturday.

Italia 90 really was the best World Cup for me. I was 10 at the time and was at the peak of my football love!

Was 9 my old man took me round to my gran n papas , he had 6 cans and the old yin’s were on the drams I was Centre front of the telly wae my ginger beer! Is this the one Murdock McLeod gets knocked out wae a free kick? Also remember that from a game at this World Cup
That was against Brazil a few days later

I remember it. 8pm ko saturday night I think. Considering I had been in the boozer all day, I done well to remember it.

Pub was mobbed, all bears. Sad how it's all turned out.

I guess Helicopter Sunday isn't going to happen now then

next weekend is the games from Euro 92, Netherlands, Germany and CIS

Yeah there is a resembelance. It always looked that rammed that people are hanging out the corners. The flags are like washing hanging out a window.

First time I have seen this game since it went out live. A time when Scotland meant something to me. I won't watch Scotland games now. Sad, as I loved that night in Italy.

As much as it was a great result, the performance was much poorer than I remember.

I guess that’s always likely when your midfield contains a player completely bereft of the most basic level of skill and ability like Roy Aitken.

How this talentless oaf got to follow in the footsteps of Billy Bremner and Graeme Souness and captain his country at a World Cup tells us everything we need to know about why the Scottish game has been in terminal decline since.

Memories of that night?, also lots of Rangers ( related) players in the team then
I was there, you just knew beforehand that we were going to win, the atmosphere in the stadium was electric, there was just something in the air.

Think my ticket was around £80. Think I’ve only been to three Scotland games since, haven’t watched a game in 10-15 years. Can’t be arsed

As posted it was a Saturday night 8pm kick-off and the weather was like today

Watched the game in the garden with mates had set-up the TV from my bedroom

This was a great game to watch.

Saturday at 8pm, during a lovely summer evening.

We won and was so exciting when scotland used to be Scotland and not the nationalist sporting front.

I watched it with my cousin, think hes a transsexual now.

No just that night, roy aitken has to the most talentless player who's ever went to a major championship with us, utter dog shit
Was just thinking how the %^*& he earned a wage as a footballer at a reasonably high level is beyond me, never mind captain his country at the world cup.

As much as it was a great result, the performance was much poorer than I remember.

I guess that’s always likely when your midfield contains a player completely bereft of the most basic level of skill and ability like Roy Aitken.

How this talentless oaf got to follow in the footsteps of Billy Bremner and Graeme Souness and captain his country at a World Cup tells us everything we need to know about why the Scottish game has been in terminal decline since.
Sweden were the better team for sure

Memories of that night?, also lots of Rangers ( related) players in the team then
I was there and Mo Johnston’s wee girl Ended up being babysat by all around as she was about 2 and a talkative wee thing entertaining us all.
The whole day was the best day I have ever had at the football by far outside watching Rangers

It is weird as me and all my friends watched that game, we all bought the Scotland tops and tracksuits from that era, fast forward to 2020 And now I couldn’t give two hoots about Scotland’s national team. Wonder if things will ever change for my sons but doubt it.

It is weird as me and all my friends watched that game, we all bought the Scotland tops and tracksuits from that era, fast forward to 2020 And now I couldn’t give two hoots about Scotland’s national team. Wonder if things will ever change for my sons but doubt it.
My favourite Scotland jersey the Italia 90 one

There were 8 of us went to Italia 90. We met a bunch of Hearts fans in Genoa and Aitken was the focus of a sarcastic song. None of us could believe that the guy was ever considered good enough to play for Scotland.

Back